What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fire at Will (Faw) not critting *fixed in 1/30 patch*

Comments

• Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And what does that have to do with one person solo-ing ISE with 4 mins left on the optional?

Its proof that its not just one person. He just happens to have made a video of it.
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Its proof that its not just one person. He just happens to have made a video of it.

Very well, even if you assume everyone in DPS20/30k channels can do that... what do you think what percentage of the game population is that anyway?
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited December 2013

i would think that if more than one person could pull it off there would be more than one solo vid...

source: i'm in those channels, i FRAPs a lot of my runs, and i'm unable to do a solo run.
  • Options
    schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Maybe instead of the 100th attempt to fix FAW, that time would be better spend to get rid of FAW, and make the three other, functional skills -rapid fire, scatter volley and overload- work with both beam and cannon energy weapons?
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the double proc was at most adding 1% to total DPS. that's minor beneficial.

No it was allowing things like Omega Amp to stack 5 and 6 deep... do you really think +50 weapon power and +4000 drain resist wasn't allowing people to increase there dps by more then 1%. lmao come on man
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    zeusimazeusima Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There are a series of channels starting from a DPS public, followed by a 10k, 20k, 30k, etc.

Every RA+ ship in the game can get into 10k, almost every single one can get into 20k. Getting into 30k requires a select few Fed, Klingon ships and lockbox ships and almost every Romulan ship. 40k + requires you basically be in a Scimitar, although the Kumari can manage it. It's really mostly starts from picking a good ship, getting the appropriate gear (fleet gear and rep gear), flying with competent players and lastly flying well.

All of the best ISE runs have been done despite FAW being broken in some way. Whilst there is some argument to nerf it we'd rather everything at least worked consistently first, with accuracy overflow and crits working as stated. It's important because a lot of people are making real money purchasing decisions such as buying items to boost crit so when fundamental game mechanics that rely on these skills are broken it's not very nice for those players. Especially RIGHT BEFORE THE CHRISTMAS BREAK.

I am very cross they had to mess with it now of all times. They honestly should've left it alone since it was like 20% broken and now it's 80% broken.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Very well, even if you assume everyone in DPS20/30k channels can do that... what do you think what percentage of the game population is that anyway?

Alright. Not really sure.

But answer me this then. Whats the No.1 goto build in PvE and now even PvP and why is that?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    No it was allowing things like Omega Amp to stack 5 and 6 deep... do you really think +50 weapon power and +4000 drain resist wasn't allowing people to increase there dps by more then 1%. lmao come on man

I'm curious though, since when was FAW working like that? multi proccing omega amp?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    i would think that if more than one person could pull it off there would be more than one solo vid...

source: i'm in those channels, i FRAPs a lot of my runs, and i'm unable to do a solo run.

:)

So most of the game can only 2 man 5 man content and still get the optional objectives.

I think people are being a bit disingenuous about FAW.

I am also in those channels... and I can tell you that when I started doing PvE more out of frustration with PvE and becasue Cryptic forced me to... people where in general terrible... and they had no idea how to manage to pop 10k DPS...

It is interesting to see how many of them have tweeked there faw builds to tick 20k or more these days. Sadly though remove the option of FAW to them and they go back to not being able to crack that 10k ceiling again.

I am very happy that I can pretty much pop off my stupid PvE missions anytime I want now fast... but they are more boring then they have ever been. No challange gets pretty darn boring doesn't it ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Bull****. I've parsed literally thousands of different runs and never once has my or anyone elses' Omega amp gone over 1%.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So, what you're saying is, it's open season on FAW cruisers over the Xmas break?

:D
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm curious though, since when was FAW working like that? multi proccing omega amp?

When it was double procing... did you not wonder why your 2s buffs where stacking ? :)

The odd stack of 2 ya that can happen... but stacks of 4 and 5 on something that only lasts 2s.... :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Alright. Not really sure.

But answer me this then. Whats the No.1 goto build in PvE and now even PvP and why is that?

In PVE it's always the build that does the most DPS... sadly (at least in my opinion), one day, these PVE players decided to try out their builds in PVP. It is only since then that the PVP community noticed them and adapted the FAW spam boats for use, and subsequently called for fixes/nerfs (whatever you wish to call it) since they were dying too often to FAW and found to real way to counter it or adapt.

I still think that if the PVE players kept their DPS Scimitars away from PVP, this whole mess around FAW would not have happened... at least not at this time. That being said I don't actually blame them, ultimately - Cryptic and their messy coding is the culprit for FAW bugs.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Bull****. I've parsed literally thousands of different runs and never once has my or anyone elses' Omega amp gone over 1%.

Omega Amp... is the proc that you get from weapon fire for running the Borg Weapon 2 piece. (Cutting beam + Borg Console would be the popular way to get that proc)

+10 Weapon power + X drain resist for 2s

You are thinking of the rep passive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    When it was double procing... did you not wonder why your 2s buffs where stacking ? :)

The odd stack of 2 ya that can happen... but stacks of 4 and 5 on something that only lasts 2s.... :)

I see, though my question was, how long was FAW in that state? Since the update in season 3 or when?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In PVE it's always the build that does the most DPS... sadly (at least in my opinion), one day, these PVE players decided to try out their builds in PVP. It is only since then that the PVP community noticed them and adapted the FAW spam boats for use, and subsequently called for fixes/nerfs (whatever you wish to call it) since they were dying too often to FAW and found to real way to counter it or adapt.

I still think that if the PVE players kept their DPS Scimitars away from PVP, this whole mess around FAW would not have happened... at least not at this time. That being said I don't actually blame them, ultimately - Cryptic and their messy coding is the culprit for FAW bugs.

No lets be honest and I don't meant to offend anyone here.

I was a member of both "communities" if you will semi well known PvP guy... and a early member of the DPS club channels.

FAW got picked up an a large scale for PvP when some people noticed it was interacting with some items in a way that allowed for TRIBBLE tons of dps...

As always happens in PvP, the masses paid attention and replicated it... in this case the way to make it behave badly was so obvious and out in the open that it caught on fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I see, though my question was, how long was FAW in that state? Since the update in season 3 or when?

Sorry I miss understood you. Honestly I am not sure 100%... FAW seems to change every patch. I think unless your running indpeth testing every patch you could never no. It was behaving that way for a good amount of time I am pretty sure... I suspect it was working that way for a long time... the strength of some of the new power creep procs made it obvious I think is the only real change.

FAW has been through at least 3 or 4 major rewrites since season 3 though... not including the unintentional ones. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It is interesting to see how many of them have tweeked there faw builds to tick 20k or more these days. Sadly though remove the option of FAW to them and they go back to not being able to crack that 10k ceiling again.

you seem to be implying that FAW can take a 10k boat and turn it into a 20k boat... that's a bit of a stretch don't you think?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    No lets be honest and I don't meant to offend anyone here.

I was a member of both "communities" if you will semi well known PvP guy... and a early member of the DPS club channels.

FAW got picked up an a large scale for PvP when some people noticed it was interacting with some items in a way that allowed for TRIBBLE tons of dps...

As always happens in PvP, the masses paid attention and replicated it... in this case the way to make it behave badly was so obvious and out in the open that it caught on fast.

Well, I'm not arguing with that statement, it's basically what I was trying to say just with different words...
  • Options
    edited December 2013

First of all, I've been playing STO since day 1. FAW is not an PVE invention.

PvE never influenced PvP in the way that you describe, except in a negative manner where unbalanced mechanics were forced onto PvP due to the needs for "moar power" by the PvE community, and Cryptic were happy to hand it over because lets face it blowing up NPCS is great fun.

PvP forums have plenty of build threads and competencies before PvE even was a feature.

But you are right. The Scimitar is a good example of the type of balance "moar power" resulted in.

It does not take high school maths to figure out what that ship is capable of doing in the hands of someone half competent. Compare it to anything on the FED or KDF class lineups and you see the vast difference.

Scimitar - Defiant?
    Scimitar - Hegh'ta?

Unless there is some other ship comparison out there I am missing? Because I honestly don't see it was a cruiser.
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    totenmet wrote: »
    Roll back today's patch immediately! Or does Cryptic have no disaster scenario?

A response to a disaster requires a disaster in the first place. My parse on ISE is down by maybe 5% DPS on my 8 beam FaW boat. I don't see a disaster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zenveidezenveide Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I say CSV is broken and needs to be fixed because it does too much damage, while at it we can at least enjoy ourselves by saying there are no more csvtard builds over the holidays...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    First of all, I've been playing STO since day 1. FAW is not an PVE invention.

PvE never influenced PvP in the way that you describe, except in a negative manner where unbalanced mechanics were forced onto PvP due to the needs for "moar power" by the PvE community.

I didn't say FAW in itself is a PVE invention or that PVE ever influenced PVP heavily.

As I remember, it is the DPS/speedrun oriented PVE builds that started all this fuss. It began when the "PVE Heroes" queued up for some "PVP trolling", and accidentally ran into a certain well known premade team... but the person who made that ISE solo vid could probably tell you the story in more detail... as he was there.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    you seem to be implying that FAW can take a 10k boat and turn it into a 20k boat... that's a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Perhaps you don't understand how Faw works. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, I'm not arguing with that statement, it's basically what I was trying to say just with different words...

No doubt... just saying the PvE nor PvP guys are not to blame I guess. The first patch that started allowing odd procing got picked up on by both groups pretty quick really. Both sides have there share of intelligent min maxers. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    savingj wrote: »
    Finally, no more zombie-a2b-no-skill bfaw boats in pvp. Hip Hip Horray!

now all we need to get rid off are 10 year old girls
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Unless there is some other ship comparison out there I am missing? Because I honestly don't see it was a cruiser.

Speaking purely from the PVE perspective, probably the best substitute for a Scimitar for Fed/KDF is the Avenger/Mogh right now.
  • Options
    zeusimazeusima Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Chell Grett is the best bet, given that it's free and is a Commander tac, 8 weapon ship.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I didn't say FAW in itself is a PVE invention or that PVE ever influenced PVP heavily.

As I remember, it is the DPS/speedrun oriented PVE builds that started all this fuss. It began when the "PVE Heroes" queued up for some "PVP trolling", and accidentally ran into a certain well known premade team... but the person who made that ISE solo vid could probably tell you the story in more detail... as he was there.

I'm interested in your use of trolling. One would only troll if you are intentionally using something questionable to cause offense right? Be it foul language or a ability that is broken or frowned on, right?

Like back in the day when KDF teams would run full leach, assimilator Voquv drain teams with orion interceptors. It didn't make them good players. They were just exploiting a questionable mechanic.

What the PvP community are very good at is bringing the best to their game. They learnt to play gentlemen rules they decided amongst themselves.

So, ya - when the PvE community decide to hit the queues and essentially throw the kitchen sink at their opponents, people noticed. How could they not.
  • Options
    zenveidezenveide Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bones1970 wrote: »
    now all we need to get rid off are 10 year old girls

+1, you got a point there, that would be another way to get rid off the FAW complainers . :D
This discussion has been closed.