test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To the PVE community, Why don't you PVP?

Comments

• nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't PVP outside of my fleet very often because I'm not part of a premade and I'm not going to join a match where I'm randomly teamed up with captains of questionable skill to fight a coordinated premade team. I recently added the added the organizedpvp channel and might get involved there once the winter event is over.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2013
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    This right here is why the hardcore PvPers do it: the belief that superior ship stats reflect on their personal "skill".

People are easily deluded. We almost all feel that we are superior to everyone else in one way or another. It's the thing that allows us to persevere in the face of adversity.

Let's not blame the player for falling victim to the nature we all share.
    Skill can only be claimed when there's an even playing field - and PvP in STO has never been that.

Exactly. The blame is on the developers. It is their world. It operates under the rules they establish. Anything that continues to occur after it has been brought to their attention is their responsibility.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    In fairness you can give someone the best 'vape' build in the game but if you don't have the timing to run it. I mean, one skill too early or too late or in the wrong order and the whole thing flops and then poof, that's where the skill aspect comes in.
    Yeah I'll give you that, as I did say learning the tactics takes a bit of effort.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi I am currently unable to PvP because I am suffering from the side effects of a lot of pain reducing opiate drugs. *nod*

Does this make me not a pvper now? If so I shall post here. :)

Well I mean I could PvP, but it would basically be a lot of really groggy floating around and mashing keys while trying to figure out WTF WAS EVEN GOING ON
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh so many reasons, where to begin...

Well, firstly, I play STO because I find it more relaxing than World of Tanks, which is mostly frustrating because of grinding (seriously, I'd rather grind out the dilithium to buy a VA ship than go from tier 9 to 10 in WoT) and the fact that it's team-based PvP only, so if a few people do something stupid on your side there's a good chance the whole team will fall apart and you'll get overrun by superior numbers no matter how good you're doing. So yeah, I don't want more PvP if I'm trying to get away from PvP.

Then there's the fact that it seems every time I PvP it's a curb-stomping. Which side gets stomped is up in the air, but it always seems like whichever team takes down a couple of ships first will win, as the respawn timer becomes their ally while they pick off everyone else.

Also, I despise the fact that I tweak a ship to the point where it feels right for PvE, I can tank a tactical cube on Elite handily, I can keep a full team healed, I can get out enough damage to get the job done, an everything feels right for that ship; but still I get vaporized from full health and shields in an instant by a Garumba with enough alpha to one-shot an Odyssey or a Bird-of-Prey running all anti-protons or some TRIBBLE like that. It seems like if you want to PvP and do well in this game you need to focus one nothing BUT PvP. To heck with canon, to heck with running the layout that feels right to you, if you want to play with the big boys then its nothing but dual heavy cannons, min-maxing the TRIBBLE out of your ship, and worshiping at the altar of anti-proton.

I'll still troll through Ker'rat occasionally when I'm feeling brave/stupid, and I used to like one-on-one with my fleetmates back before my first fleet died. A pitched battle between two evenly matched players is fun, like a build test I did with another guy where his Excelsior Retro and my Luna slugged it out for forty-five minutes before one of us went down. Even with different skill levels you can probably think up something fun if you both work together, put a guy who's no good at PvP in a B'rel retrofit and an average person like me in an Exeter to recreate the final battle of Undiscovered Country for the lulz (though I didn't need Sulu to bail me out :P).
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We have thought of a lot of good ways to make pvp better on the casual community. One of the best ideas is that players who Q alone will only fight a match populated by other players who Q alone. This would give all of the players a fair chance at getting a equal team. Also, a ladder system to separate players of different skill.
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There's no harm in trying to improve PvP, heck you might even be able to improve it enough to make it worth the bother for those of us who have other reasons not to do it.

Some folks just don't like PvP play though.

Regards
    edited December 2013
    Also, by changing war games and mixing Fed and KDF players on teams instead of having fed and kdf war game Q separate people would find matches quicker. The KDF would be helped from this especially.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    Also, by changing war games and mixing Fed and KDF players on teams instead of having fed and kdf war game Q separate people would find matches quicker. The KDF would be helped from this especially.

This is probably the best and easiest suggestion for Cryptic to implement. Making it impossible to queue as premade is another relatively straightforward one. Given their track-record, I wouldn't hold my breath,
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Premade shouldn't be banned completely from the queues either. That would be too unfair, but they need to be fighting people of the same caliber.

I have some reservations with the random teaming suggestion, but I do understand its appeal. It's probably the best thing we have to salvage what's left of pvp.

I also support some sort of ranking system in the queues, people should be fighting others of relatively equal experience and skill, with possibility of ranking up as the player improves.

Strangely enough, I advocated the idea of a non-teamed PVP queue almost two years ago, and it was adamantly rejected by this forum's PVP proponents. I'm guessing the dwindling PVP participants finally shifted some hard-line positions?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Biggest problem keeping me out of PVP, beyond friendly matches with fleetmates? There's no sensible ranking/matchmaking system that prevents me, a predominantly casual, PVE-oriented player, from getting put up against the PVP nuts who know the ins and outs of every single mechanic in the game by heart and can one-shot a fully shielded cruiser with an alpha strike. Winning isn't everything, but losing 100% of the time is still no fun.

Problem #2: Changing zones dumps you out of public PVP queues. I can't afford to stay in the same zone all day while I wait for the queue to pop.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Been here since beta. Did pvp in the early days of STO but it became boring for me.

There is no reason to pvp. What I mean is that the rewards for pvp are near non existent for me. There used to be pvp gear that was uber x3 cap shields and what not.

PvP is a dead horse.....it died a long time ago.

To those who enjoy pvp...good for you.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I thought I sucked at PvP, but today I battled this supposedly powerful fleet member. (Still suck ... LOL)

He was level 40, and so was I (VA). Feeling unusually cocky, my level 22 friend decided to tag along and he fought on his side.

They never got me below 95%, and I destroyed both of them within 2 minutes.

I cannot remember the amount of damage I dealt, but never used a heal power ... after the battle, I felt amazing.

But I remember the last time I PvPed, I was like my opponent; being killed relatively quickly, and not making any lasting marks.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know a lot of good reasons not to pvp, but I would like to hear yours.
    In space it is hard to defend against the hordes of players abusing g-well, faw, and sensor spam. Worse yet a full premade team of players who do that.
    On ground, the pvp players simply have more skill points and traits invested in ground. Worse yet, a 5 man team of players who are ground spec and still feel the need to exploit, run broken sci officers, and cloak gank players with half their skill points invested even though such extreme measures are not called for.
    A lone player who enters without a full team of seasoned pvp players is guaranteed a demoralizing and severe loss to a premade team. The chances of encountering these teams are far too high due to the limited number of pvp participants, but it is also the fault of these teams and fleets for running the pve majority out of the Q with their barbaric play style.
    Could it be that pvp in this game is not fun and only exists for the sake of existing or feeling hard core? What would it take to get you interested in pvp? I would like to add that players from the pvp minority are not welcome on this thread. It is not for you. This thread is to find the opinions of the casual, pve majority.

i dont pvp in general because none of the ideas the devs to some of these mmos are good enough in practice. cryptics version is p2w where the only way to win is to buy your way to success with power creeping ships, weapons, consoles, doffs and the like, it becomes a giant mismatch between the players.

then you got others like swtor where its meant to be balanced even in fights on pvp but newish players with a few skills post coru/dk and certain advanced classes within classes are more powerful then others. a smuggler with dirty fighting, cloak and quick escape with cc's is very effective at being extremly annoying and impossible to take down, a sniper with engineering demolitions can easily take down a group of pubs and healers without issue if left long enough.

there is no fair play in it. if i was to pvp it would be on equal ground or not at all. it should be about skill and a players honor.

last pvp i was involved in on sto was in space, i was flying a danube as a vadm, when another player of lt rank challenged me, he did not survive at all... that was and still is wrong.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Biggest problem keeping me out of PVP, beyond friendly matches with fleetmates? There's no sensible ranking/matchmaking system that prevents me, a predominantly casual, PVE-oriented player, from getting put up against the PVP nuts who know the ins and outs of every single mechanic in the game by heart and can one-shot a fully shielded cruiser with an alpha strike. Winning isn't everything, but losing 100% of the time is still no fun.

I totally understand and agree.
  • arcanum70arcanum70 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know a lot of good reasons not to pvp, but I would like to hear yours.

Simple, because the majority of the PVP community are asshats who's douchebaggery knows no bounds.
  • t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My reason is.. I just don't give two poops and half a TRIBBLE :P
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    arcanum70 wrote: »
    Simple, because the majority of the PVP community are asshats who's douchebaggery knows no bounds.

You think so? Ive always found the PvP guys to be quite brotherly and welcoming of newbies. Sure there is trash talk but its usually of a good nature or in a sporting sense.

There are some real egoists and jerks among the pve community though, ive been in stfs were guys literally went off their rocker at others, cussing them out and questioning their manhood based on how they went about killing NPCs.

So it really happens both ways, though from my perspective the PvE jerks are far far worse in this game community.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Because people Bot in PVP and they abuse the hell out of the cloaks its ZERO fun to be waiting for ten min sitting with our fleetmates waiting for them to uncloak. THAT is why.:mad:
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Because people Bot in PVP

I've never run into a bot in this game and the devs have specifically stated they want to make that practise impossible.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • kurgan2001kurgan2001 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I went to Ker'rat once .... once.

As soon as I got there, 2 roms decloaked (at the spawn point, mind you) and proceeded to obliterate me and anyone else who arrived, then recloaked while I saw them laughing in chat about 'noobs' and such.

I wouldn't have minded so bad .. had they not spawn-camped .. but not 2 seconds after I respawned did they do it again.

I haven't been back .. you can stuff your pvp where the sun don't shine.
  • miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You think so? Ive always found the PvP guys to be quite brotherly and welcoming of newbies. Sure there is trash talk but its usually of a good nature or in a sporting sense.

There are some real egoists and jerks among the pve community though, ive been in stfs were guys literally went off their rocker at others, cussing them out and questioning their manhood based on how they went about killing NPCs.

So it really happens both ways, though from my perspective the PvE jerks are far far worse in this game community.

Really? I haven't really met any jerks in pve, and as for people on mics, I have heard almost none at all, and what I mainly hear is just a bunch of shifting around like somebody doesn't think their mic is on but they don't talk and you just hear them moving TRIBBLE around.
    edited December 2013
    I was once in the pvp fleet scene. I began to see how the premades would see the Q fill and then dominate the pug groups, spamming, spawn camping, exploiting, and cheesing total domination tactics in a scenario that did not call for it. I no longer want to be part of the premade nor do I want to fight one.
    If you are part of a premade the experience is always the same, if you are against the premade the same can be said. Hard core pvp players are all clones of each other. We need some change to accommodate the players who Q alone and are not into the 'total domination' mind set so that they can have a little pvp fun.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I've never run into a bot in this game and the devs have specifically stated they want to make that practise impossible.

Indeed, I've never seen it either. Honestly, if someone actually DID bot in PvP, they'd have to be a pretty damn terrible player if they need to use a computer program to play for them.

Maybe he meant keybinds? That's nothing new or special, been in the game forever and Cryptic is perfectly ok with those (as long as it sticks to purely in-game commands and the like of course).
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • tareruntaliontareruntalion Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i tried today to pvp for the first time with my star cruiser which is the ship i mainly fly and the ship i have spent the most on it to make it better. i have been playing from before the summer event so i am playing half a year. i go into the first arena, the opposite team was very good and they massacred us with gravity wells, i died 4 times and obviously i was overwhelmed by the abilities and the firepower of the enemy team, we lost the match.

then i say why not try again ? yes it's very hard but the estfs are very easy and i wanted some challenge.

the second arena match begins and we were killing them without stop, i was even second in my team at damage dealt and i had many kills then i went into a third arena match my team won again even though it was a little more difficult.

then i go into the fourth and last match and the enemy team was so good they were killing us with cloaks, gravity wells and tractor beams. it was genocide but even then i was dying rarely because i have made my sc a tank and healboat.

so to sum it up you need at least some mediocre equipment to be able to last a little bit and if you are unlucky enough and the majority of the opposite team are big spenders then you don't stand a chance. From the four matches i hated 2 things the most gravity wells and all the versions of tractor beams, in the first and last match the opposite team was using them so much these abilities i gave up on steering my ship and i had a headache from all the pushing here and there. but i have to say i liked very much the challenge and the difficulty of it so i will continue to pvp even though from what i had heard about it i didn't want to touch it.
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    um.. Yea.. to put it best.. when a PvP team mandates to it members that you cant even be on their team unless you have a programmable keyboard that you can run external macro's on

((which is whats really happening when you see botting... damd few players are THAT fast on the keyboard.. your not fighting other players.. your fighting thier macro's!))

PvP lacks players because:

1: Its arena combat.. we are not actually fighting FOR anything. The PvP mission objectives mean NOTHING. They have zero effect on the greater game. Its just bragging rights for those "I'm a leet and your not" crowd.

2: In relation to the above.. ahhh.. I can go PvE where ok, once in a while I will get my busted up self handed to me.. Were I go into PvP.. especially against a team of premades/follow the formula/paid to win/macro hell folk.. uhh whats the point? To add to your KILL count? This is supposed to be fun for me... how?

Oh, I hear, It's just the learning curve! You'll get it. AhHa! But I allready got it!

The game is fixed and I'm not only not allowed to win, I don't even get a chance to win.

The space combat game is fundementally flawed. Because of the way its put together, and utterly dependent on gear. If you don't have the gear you are just a target. If you do have the gear, but don't have the programmable keyboard, or keyboarding skills, and propperly set up Macro's internal or external.. your just a target. If you have the gear and the teh macro's but are not on a team that communicates/works together well, your just a target.

So, you "leet" PvP'r just go fight each other and have a good time and stop whining to the rest of us about the dearth of PvP. It's your own fault along with pushing the devs to constantly give you more toys to play with. The vast majority of us STO players will skip.

Oh, did I mention that the trash talking and displays of poor sportmanship doesn't help either... Police your selves!
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • tareruntaliontareruntalion Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    Lol I love your refreshing perspective on the state of pvp in this game. But I think you stumbled upon another symptom of the disease that plagues pvp queues. Matches are rarely balanced, always ends up in a pugstomp for either team.

yeah i found it very curious myself, i mean in a ship with two tactical disruptor consoles and not blue but green and i was able in the two matches that we won to do very big damage to some guys with bo2 that never goes above 25000 on crit while in the ones we lost all of us would fire on a guy and we would barely scratch his shields, it was like trying to destroy a wall made out of cement by scratching it with your nails. and the most important when push and hold abilities with faws, pets and torpedoes come into play you lose track of what is going on
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i have to say i liked very much the challenge and the difficulty of it so i will continue to pvp even though from what i had heard about it i didn't want to touch it.

Welcome to STO pvp, I hope you enjoy your stay :) I also recommend picking up the "OrganizedPVP" and "Tyler Durden" channels as balanced teams are regularly formed here and advice freely given :)
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited December 2013
    So, you "leet" PvP'r just go fight each other and have a good time and stop whining to the rest of us about the dearth of PvP. It's your own fault along with pushing the devs to constantly give you more toys to play with. The vast majority of us STO players will skip.

Oh, did I mention that the trash talking and displays of poor sportmanship doesn't help either... Police your selves!

Very true. The pvp community is killing their own livelihood.
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have no interest in PvP. I'm just not competitive. Plus, I enjoy immersion, and PvP tends to ruin that for me.

What could get me involved in PvP in this game? Not a thing. Sorry.