test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To the PVE community, Why don't you PVP?

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    roxbad wrote: »
    Apparently, you find it of no interest, unless you're good at it.

Is it just a coincidence that what you find to be less 'negative' is also at what you are pretty good?

I wonder if that is true for most people.

This is loaded borderline trolling. You're doing a roundabout version of "mad because bad" and it's not helping you or any PVPer in this thread for that matter when it comes to persuading PVEers to put up with you in game.

You have a certain mindset and assume everyone else has the exact same mindset. You presume PVEers don't like anything they're not "good" at. What inflammatory flamebait.

Unless that was your goal, you should strongly consider selling PVP some way other than this silliness.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2014

PvP sucks because the game isn't designed for it and the PvP players are a bit douchebaggy about their successfully taken advantage of that lack of game design. Hope that clears up any confusion you may have about the situation.
    <3
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As a casual PVPer who's good, knows his STO but not dedicated hardcore and generally sticks to teaming with fleetmates these are some of my key points that come to mind;

STO is considered to be built around PVE so when all these new powers hit PVP it's unregulated and unchecked.

No one really stops to think how all these powers interact hence faw aux2bat/VAP builds and many more besides. Too many now seem to go for the 1 build can pwn with a single combo that requires seemingly little effort.

Less co-ordinated efforts in PVE so powers want to be buffed up to make it appealing but in PVP 5 on 1 is overkill, GW's becoming virtually impossible to get away from regardless of your countermeasures.

Sources of dilithium/ec/fleet marks can be gotten elsewhere.

PVP community is small compared to PVE like STFs and longer to get matches started.

Whatever there is of the PVP community can be anything from random pugs, competent but not hardcore PVP'ers that are out for a fun/challenging time and the hardcore premades that are out to show their dominance or even pummel the other team in to submission with different 'styles' of builds or strategies whereby some probably give up on playing PVP.

It's an arms race and those that dedicate themselves to PVP and have the resources to do it have a significantly upper hand. If you can't compete with that then expect to be at a disadvantage before you even queue up.

When builds gets nerfed - players cry. When the PVP community suffers as a result of extreme premades/builds - players on both sides cry.

Cryptic needs to address PVP balance before adding anything more to PVP. Adding maps, reputation etc will only put plasters over the problem and do little to address the underlying problems.
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2014
    twg042370 wrote: »
    PvP sucks because the game isn't designed for it and the PvP players are a bit douchebaggy about their successfully taken advantage of that lack of game design.

Is that the case for most PvP players?
    Hope that clears up any confusion you may have about the situation.

I think maybe you've mistaken subtlety for confusion. Do most people do that?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This is loaded borderline trolling. You're doing a roundabout version of "mad because bad" and it's not helping you or any PVPer in this thread for that matter when it comes to persuading PVEers to put up with you in game.

You have a certain mindset and assume everyone else has the exact same mindset. You presume PVEers don't like anything they're not "good" at. What inflammatory flamebait.

Unless that was your goal, you should strongly consider selling PVP some way other than this silliness.

lol This much conentrated irony must surely effect the planet's magnetosphere.
  • Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    galadiman wrote: »
    Because most people PVP to 'get over' on others, and I find that of no interest.
    Apparently, you find it of no interest, unless you're good at it.

OOoh, you burned me but good!! Yes, I admit, being shamed by 12 year olds who have no life and are unendingly funded by overindulgent Mommy and Daddy while I come home from a long day at work to play a measly couple of hours bears no interest to me.

And yes, you are likely a better overall person than me because you can play a video game better than me. It just makes me o so sad when you repeatedly point that out to me. So rather than engage in a verbal joust, I just play the game the way I like to play it. I'm such a jerk.

The most PvP thing I do often is race in Winter Wonderland - I'm pretty good at that!
    Is it just a coincidence that what you find to be less 'negative' is also at what you are pretty good?

Strange, that I like to do things I'm good at after learning the skill than things I can't be good at unless I spend lots of money to get gear to match the gear of PvP'ers whose gear makes it nearly impossible to beat them in other forms of PVP. Strange that I enjoy playing on an even playing field moreso than playing against people whom I have no desire to waste money attempting to match up with. I am JUST SO WIEEERD!!!!
    But it seems a less 'negative' experience than most of the PvP I have encountered.

Perhaps it is, perhaps not. But it is pretty clear that I am stating a personal opinion here. so... nyah.

I know I'm making unfair prejudicial overgeneralizations. And I do have my tongue firmly planted in my cheek for these responses... mostly. :p And I know there are what I would call 'good' pvpers out there - people who engage in good sportsmanship and fair play and aren't dbags. I'm not talking about you guys.

I used to be part of such a community in City of Heroes - a bootcamp where members would help each other get better, not laugh at each other for being 'poor' and 'stupid', where we artificially leveld the playing field to make the game more equitable while making it more fun for all, even those of us who started out sucking at their PvPness. I haven't found such a community here, nor do I wish to originate one. So I just needle people where I can.

Have a terrific day!
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Don't worry, I got this. :rolleyes:;):cool:
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    BTW, roxbad, you're not 'iroxor' from City of Heroes, are you? Because that would be hilariously ironic..
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    BTW, roxbad, you're not 'iroxor' from City of Heroes, are you? Because that would be hilariously ironic..

Uhmmm.... no.

But the limited experience that your question implies is directly related to the point you so obviously missed.

eta: Or maybe you got the point. "I haven't found such a community here, nor do I wish to originate one. So I just needle people where I can."

lol and I'm the troll, amalefactor?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Pardon me for defending myself, but if you think my response was a troll, or my OP, then I think you 'forgot what is a troll.' But meh, if you do, then so be it.

In any case, my 'needle' comment was, as you apparently watched fly right over your head, also tongue-in-cheek. Whoosh, there it went.

But I didn't feel like letting pass being called names in public, even if in implication.

edit: clarifying - the question posed was, Why don't I PVP?

I feel my answer is both valid and not unique... regardless of you trying to deny that my opinion is valid.
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The question's no different than "Why don't you like <thing>?", whether that thing be windsurfing, eating chocolate-chip ice-cream, clubbing baby seals, or any other thing that some people like and others don't.

If the PvP community want to encourage PvE players to try PvP on the grounds that if you've never done it before, you might like it, that's a laudable effort. I originally felt (And do still feel) like the intent of the OP was not aggressive, argumentative or condescending. It's simply a player who says "I like X, and I'd like to share my love of it with others. Why don't you try it? What can we do to make it more appealing to you?"

For some people, the answer will always be "nothing", and that's fair enough. If you like reggae and you don't like heavy metal, then blasting even the best heavy metal bands at you isn't going to change your opinion.

For others, the situation isn't so black and white.

But these threads always devolve into name calling, shaming and furthering stereotypes.

Not all PvPers are mouth-breathing pimply teenage kids who have no life and search for self-validation by beating other players in a video game.

Not all PvEers are pacifist casual lazy carebear cowards who are afraid of confrontation and lack the skill to succeed in a competitive environment.

Generalizations are bad, mmkay?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The question's no different than "Why don't you like <thing>?", whether that thing be windsurfing, eating chocolate-chip ice-cream, clubbing baby seals, or any other thing that some people like and others don't.
    Who doesn't like clubbing baby seals?
    Generalizations are bad, mmkay?
    Isn't that a generalization?

:D
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    To be honest, lockboxes ALWAYS get that cheap.

Exactly... they are that cheap when they are dropping by the truckloads... once the box is retired the price MAY begin to creep up. Temporal Lockboxes going for 5-20K depending on when you look.

Since they are so plentiful right now, there is no exchange market...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Who doesn't like clubbing baby seals?
    No idea. Probably someone out there thinks it's a bad idea. That's just the law of averages, my friend

jonsills wrote: »
    Isn't that a generalization?

:D
    .... Rats! FOILED AGAIN!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I feel my answer is both valid and not unique... regardless of you trying to deny that my opinion is valid.

Not unique or valid. Your post implied a moral superiority for yourself to most of those players who PvP.

My response was to question the basis for that implied moral superiority. Apparently, this made you defensive.