test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To the PVE community, Why don't you PVP?

Comments

• amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mirai222 wrote: »
    I have no interest in PvP. I'm just not competitive. Plus, I enjoy immersion, and PvP tends to ruin that for me.

What could get me involved in PvP in this game? Not a thing. Sorry.

Wingtip-tickling Scimitars spamming all beams does look really odd to me.

It reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies, where there was always some weird minmax PVP uber setup that 99% of the time didn't even look like a Star Wars concept. Let's see, we had kung-fu poison-flinging doctors for a while, then we had Master Chief clones using stone knives with disease procs on them, and we had Pokemon Masters sending Rancors, Graul Maulers and the like at each other in packs of three.

Long and short of it, PVP is not immersion friendly, especially not in Trek. It COULD have worked in Star Wars Galaxies but it was a bust anyway.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wingtip-tickling Scimitars spamming all beams does look really odd to me.

It reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies, where there was always some weird minmax PVP uber setup that 99% of the time didn't even look like a Star Wars concept. Let's see, we had kung-fu poison-flinging doctors for a while, then we had Master Chief clones using stone knives with disease procs on them, and we had Pokemon Masters sending Rancors, Graul Maulers and the like at each other in packs of three.

Long and short of it, PVP is not immersion friendly, especially not in Trek. It COULD have worked in Star Wars Galaxies but it was a bust anyway.

TK Knockdown spam, loljedi 4444 4404 lolz, oh those were the days.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • jolleyrogersjolleyrogers Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In keeping with the spirit of the OP's question, the main reason that I don't PvP is that finding a match is very time consuming and I rarely have people from my fleet available. I live in the states like most of my fleetmates but I work nights and stay on a night schedule on my days off. Consequently, I'm not able to get on very much when they are in matches and I'm not on regularly enough to be on one of our premades.

I've tried to join the open queues but I haven't had very much success. I bought a lifetime membership a week after launch and told myself that I'd eventually get into PVP. That just hasn't happened mostly for the reasons listed above. I've probably done less than 10 PVP matches since I started playing. Almost all of those were with my fleet when I was able to get on early enough.

I'd very much like to get involved. I'm not a whiner or an elitist (how can you be an elitist if you've barely played?). Heck, I wouldn't mind loosing 90 percent of the time. Though if was 100 percent of the time I prolly would loose interest.

Even with the game updates, there just isn't much to do except grind. I guess I've been fortunate to have had friendly experiences with the few PVP matches that I've been in. Hopefully PVP will pick up and/or be revamped. But I doubt it, I've been hoping for that for years.

If you happen to see me running around in ESD and you have room for another, ask me, it's better than running STFs for the zillionth time.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    reason 1 i dont pvp nothing rewarding for doing it hek first year or two of the game you could get what was pvp gear

reason 2 tanking is a joke ive seen rogues in wow tank better than most ships in this game go into battle and pop in 5 to 10 sec's

reason 3 no ranking system no team ratings no nothing

reason 4 no real heal class

reason 5 no real grouping system anyone ever got a group full of science full of ENG ive even have this happen to me in pve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Lousy community, abusive chat

This.

How can PvP ever be fun or even remotely enjoyable, when almost everyone who takes part is a verbally abusive, elitist snob? I have PvPed before even though it has never really been my thing, and win or lose it's always the same: A whirlwind of expletives barreling down upon me either cussing me a blue streak for 'cheating' to win, or verbally abusing me (worse than my parents did to me in childhood) due to the fact I wasn't able to win the match, ergo I sucked and should kill myself.

And like another said: P2W. If you don't have the most expensive, perfectly set up ship; if you aren't the most hardcore gamer out there...may as well just forget it.

It just isn't fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    clearly no one here has ever played wow or its PvP or you just ignore the abusive chat or put say peason on ignore...... abusive chat goes on in every and i mean every mmo i have ever played
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    aelrhiana wrote: »
    This.

How can PvP ever be fun or even remotely enjoyable, when almost everyone who takes part is a verbally abusive, elitist snob? I have PvPed before even though it has never really been my thing, and win or lose it's always the same: A whirlwind of expletives barreling down upon me either cussing me a blue streak for 'cheating' to win, or verbally abusing me (worse than my parents did to me in childhood) due to the fact I wasn't able to win the match, ergo I sucked and should kill myself.

And like another said: P2W. If you don't have the most expensive, perfectly set up ship; if you aren't the most hardcore gamer out there...may as well just forget it.

It just isn't fun.

LOL, you can say the same for the PVE crowd. Go ahead and botch up that elite instance. Go ahead and let those Probes get to the Gateway in KASE. Go ahead and let those Nanite Spheres get to the Transformers in ISE. Go ahead and let Kang get excessively damaged in CSE.

I've seen enough times in different games, different genres, PVP or not, to say that d-bags are found anywhere. To openly say that it's the PVP crowd show's you don't know squat.

Now, personally, I don't PVP anymore. It's not due to the people. It's because of what STO has become.

It's all about Power Creep.

And in PVP, you need to have good gear, as much maxed out Reputation Tiers as possible, and as much Pay2Win as you can. This has always been the case with PVP in STO, but today, there is so much power to be had from highly developed characters/ships/reputation/fleet gear/rep gear, that entry into PVP now will be insane. If you are not extremely high in those aspects or maxed out, then you are fodder. Combine those facts that you expect to get blown up alot because of the fact that you're new and don't know the in's and out's as well as the tempo of PVP, then you are so far behind that it's going to be ridiculous.

The amount of power, abilities, set bonuses, Universal Consoles, etc. is so ridiculous right now. Even in PVE you should know this. When you load into a mission, take a look at all the buffs you see people running around with. That is alot. And in PVP where the builds are made with a competitive, head-to-head nature in mind, it's going to be pushed more to the limits.

And you, as the new guy, are not even in contention, and will not be until you max everything you can out and buy the best ships and gear money can buy.

The entry requirement for PVP has gotten too high, and combat abilities and power has gotten ridiculous and out of hand in STO (PVE and PVP).
    XzRTofz.gif
  • hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unfriendly PvP community, unbalanced PvP system, uninteresting PvP, meaningless PvP, Pay to Win with consoles.
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    LOL, you can say the same for the PVE crowd. Go ahead and botch up that elite instance. Go ahead and let those Probes get to the Gateway in KASE. Go ahead and let those Nanite Spheres get to the Transformers in ISE. Go ahead and let Kang get excessively damaged in CSE.

I've seen enough times in different games, different genres, PVP or not, to say that d-bags are found anywhere. To openly say that it's the PVP crowd show's you don't know squat.

Now, personally, I don't PVP anymore. It's not due to the people. It's because of what STO has become.

It's all about Power Creep.

And in PVP, you need to have good gear, as much maxed out Reputation Tiers as possible, and as much Pay2Win as you can. This has always been the case with PVP in STO, but today, there is so much power to be had from highly developed characters/ships/reputation/fleet gear/rep gear, that entry into PVP now will be insane. If you not extremely high in those aspects or maxed out, then you are fodder. Combine those facts that you expect to get blown up alot because of the fact that you're new and don't know the in's and out's as well as the tempo of PVP, then you are so far behind that it's going to be ridiculous.

The amount of power, abilities, set bonuses, Universal Consoles, etc. is so ridiculous right now. Even in PVE you should know this. When you load into a mission, take a look at all the buffs you see people running around with. That is alot. And in PVP where the builds are made with a competitive, head-to-head nature in mind, it's going to be pushed more to the limits.

And you, as the new guy, are not even in contention, and will not be until you max everything you can out and buy the best ships and gear money can buy.

The entry requirement for PVP has gotten to high, and combat abilities and power has gotten ridiculous and out of hand in STO (PVE and PVP).

Actually...no. The PvE crowd, especially the STFers that throw a fit whenever something goes wrong are generally, I have found part of the PvP crowd. I've been here since beta (yeah, I know...big deal) and while the PvE community has its moments, the PvP community is far, far worse and has some of the most ugly, immature people I have seen in any MMO. In the last year I have had 3 nasty incidents in PvE, two in bungled STF's, the other from some idiot in zone chat on NR. The PvP crowd? Every incident is nasty, abusive, and just plain inappropriate. I currently do not work and can be online as long as I choose to be, I generally never have negative experiences playing PvE; perhaps once in every few months do I have an issue. With PvP every damn time is a problem.

I didn't say it was PvP players only, so stop putting words into my mouth, you self-righteous nut. The thread was asking: People who play PvE, why do you not PvP? That was what it asked and I gave my answer. I never said: "Every PvPer is just an elitist douche who abuses others." Never. Show me where I did. You can't because I never did. I said 'almost' everyone within it, which is pretty much true as I have only met, and played with a handful of PvPers in this game that don't act like holier-than-thou DB's at every turn.

And yeah, I don't have an endless income like some people here (I don't work because I can't) so P2W is not going to happen. Even if I did have the money and could buy whatever, whenever, I still wouldn't bother. More important stuff out there than something in a video game that you'll one day lose.

For me, it is more the players and their disgusting attitudes that keep me away. No, not every PvPer is like this, but the majority you find, are. Also, I am not a 'guy.' You may now play the "you must be on your period' card, because I know I've likely said something you probably weren't a fan of. =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    im not trying to be mean when i say this either get a thick skin or get out the mmo world because you are not going to last long in it with i dont pvp because some radome nobody talked mean to you

if i let ones who have here picked on my spelling my grammar get to me like the ones in pvp get to some of you talking here i would never come to the forums i would have never played 3 years of wow and its pvp i would never play a mmo because mmos will always have mean ppl be it pvp or group pve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't PvP because it isn't any fun, for me and in my opinion.

There is to many variables to try and account for, and i often end up being the guy that died all 15 times.

Shield Distro sucks in this game to the point where sure you can manage against PvE NPC's but true sustained fore from a player? nah.

On top of all that, the rep system passives, the gear differences, Zen ships, plethora of consoles, cross-bred weapons direct to hull shield bypassing damage, and then the guys who have ube4r-resists where a full CRF3 is ticking away 30 damage at a time (fully buffed tac mind you)

All that leads to a big old no thanks from me. Anyone wants to make a toon and run only Mk X whte gear, never run the reps and PvP

with me im all down. Just the basics and stuff you can get leveling, no fleet stuff, no Zen ships or their consoles. Just good old fashioned more balanced fun.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    I agree there is too much powercreep in this game. Unfortunately, banning endgame gear is not going to change anything. Equipping endgame gear is just entry pass to the pvp world at the moment. This is cryptic's doing (power creeps) but this could change at any given time. To actually play pvp, gear isn't everything and team composition is a huge factor, add to that knowledge of game mechanics.

Also, not all gear is p2w. Most of it can only be obtained through grind. So banning what people have taken the time to work hard to get might anger a lot of players.

Do note i said an alt. I dont want to ban anything, but PvP sorely needs a barebones option, especially so people can become accustomed to how PvP works, while there are great folks out there that like to help, i dont want to be meat in the grinder, i want to stand at least a small chance, its better than no chance at all.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm gonna join the general consensus in that I don't do PvP because of the PvP community. PvP always attracts the worst of types of players and that's what ultimately kills it.
    Developers can try and balance all they want but in the end, no one wants to spend time with e-peen-stroking jerks.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • lunadragolunadrago Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yea... PvP...

Full of jerks, highly unbalanced and seriously... what is the point?
    There are no rewards to it other than a few measly "missions" that offer very little reward for the time, effort and expense put in to building a PvP ship, forgetting the skills, traits, boff traits and doff's that also factor into it....

Ok I actually do PvP from time to time but only pre-made, fleet to fleet or 1vs1 against fellow fleet mates or friends in an effort to test new builds.

When it comes to pug groups though... well the balance shifts even further away, you can not go into a match and have a fun challenge, it's usually either too easy or too hard with one often following the other.

For all Cryptic's hype about creating a balanced and fair game, there is just too much going on that effectively destroys that balance.

Don't have fleet/rep gear, the "perfect" skill, traits, boff and doff set up then you're as good as toast, have that perfect set up and yea you'll have a really good run, chances of that in a pre-made? virtually zero....
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2013
    lunadrago wrote: »
    Yea... PvP...

Full of jerks,

Yet the past week I was called an idiot and moron in two separate PvE instances, but I can't recall that happening on PvP.
    highly unbalanced and seriously... what is the point?

The point is to play against another player.
    There are no rewards to it other than a few measly "missions" that offer very little reward for the time, effort and expense put in to building a PvP ship, forgetting the skills, traits, boff traits and doff's that also factor into it....

The reward is the PvP.

You do realize that all those rewards in the game don't really exist, right?
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    The reward is the PvP.

Which makes it exactly like PvE. Well, except for it being exponentially more expensive to create any measure of success at.

As in, in both cases any "reward/risk" analysis is a crock of manure because the "rewards" are vapor so the only real question is how much you're willing to spend (be it time grinding, or actual cash to circumvent that grind) for...well...nothing, really, other than the ability to pound your chest and claim you've done...something.

Yeah, I'm here to get my Trek on. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway- not one of them spent 8 months grinding dilithium for that uber MKXXXXV mega-anti-proto-phase-disruptor to whip that sorry "Darth something-or-other" from the weirdo neighborhood across the street. I'm not going to either, since the rewards are the same either way: the right to brag about your elite mouse-clicking skills, if that impresses you. It doesn't me.
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No, they just spent years training in Starfleet Academy before they even got their first Ensign postings...... Grinding over texts, simulations, theory... Pears, bananas, cabbages, wibble.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    fenr00k wrote: »
    No, they just spent years training in Starfleet Academy before they even got their first Ensign postings...... Grinding over texts, simulations, theory... Pears, bananas, cabbages, wibble.

Reprogramming computers to get an edge in a simulation that's not intended to be won, exploiting every last loophole, spending all night drinking and chasing furry women...

...wait, maybe there is something very canon about PvP after all. :P
    edited December 2013
    Which makes it exactly like PvE.

Not exactly.
    Well, except for it being exponentially more expensive to create any measure of success at.

Depends on how you measure success.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    Depends on how you measure success.

How about "being on the winning side greater than 0.1% of the time"? Because that's about how often the average casual player is going to win against the PVP nuts who make up most of the roster these days in public queues.

Not touching the "which faction is more abusive?" question. There's useless twits to ignore everywhere.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would like to remind you guys of some of the ideas we had to make pvp more palatable for casual players:

-A player who Q's alone will only fight other players who have Q'd alone or a mode for random teaming only so that players do not have to face premade teams if they do not choose to.

-FED and KDF war games merged so that a war game will have teams built of FED and KDF mixes (this would speed things up).

-A ladder/ranking system to separate skilled players from unskilled players.

-A reputation system or pvp reward system of some kind.
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    How about "being on the winning side greater than 0.1% of the time"?

That is an achievable measure of success for most people, if they do not abandon the queues after a few bad experiences. Of course the queues are a gamble, but the odds of getting roflstomped are not as bad as it may seem after a few bad experiences.

One thing is certain. A win/loss ratio cannot be improved by quitting.
    Because that's about how often the average casual player is going to win against the PVP nuts who make up most of the roster these days in public queues.

That brings me to how I measure success. It's not about wins and losses. It's about how well I played the hand I was dealt. Of course the goal is to win, but the enjoyment comes from playing well.

It's a simple matter of focus. I can dwell on losing or I can focus on how long I lasted, how much damage I managed to inflict, and anything else I did well against a numerically/statistically superior foe.

Mind you, I PvP in a non-fleet Galaxy Exploration Retrofit with Rep gear and a couple of fleet items, yet my win/loss ratio is a lot better than 1/1000.

As for the current state of the queues, if the casual players abandon them, of course they are going to be disproportionally populated by the "PvP nuts". The blame for that is not on the casual or dedicated players. That blame falls on the game developers.
    Not touching the "which faction is more abusive?" question. There's useless twits to ignore everywhere.

Agreed.
  • falkor2010falkor2010 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would like to remind you guys of some of the ideas we had to make pvp more palatable for casual players:

-A player who Q's alone will only fight other players who have Q'd alone or a mode for random teaming only so that players do not have to face premade teams if they do not choose to.

-FED and KDF war games merged so that a war game will have teams built of FED and KDF mixes (this would speed things up).

+1 Signed. The first two alone would take minimal coding and revive the PvP queues. Please oh please :D
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    aelrhiana wrote: »
    Actually...no. The PvE crowd, especially the STFers that throw a fit whenever something goes wrong are generally, I have found part of the PvP crowd. I've been here since beta (yeah, I know...big deal) and while the PvE community has its moments, the PvP community is far, far worse and has some of the most ugly, immature people I have seen in any MMO. In the last year I have had 3 nasty incidents in PvE, two in bungled STF's, the other from some idiot in zone chat on NR. The PvP crowd? Every incident is nasty, abusive, and just plain inappropriate. I currently do not work and can be online as long as I choose to be, I generally never have negative experiences playing PvE; perhaps once in every few months do I have an issue. With PvP every damn time is a problem.

I didn't say it was PvP players only, so stop putting words into my mouth, you self-righteous nut. The thread was asking: People who play PvE, why do you not PvP? That was what it asked and I gave my answer. I never said: "Every PvPer is just an elitist douche who abuses others." Never. Show me where I did. You can't because I never did. I said 'almost' everyone within it, which is pretty much true as I have only met, and played with a handful of PvPers in this game that don't act like holier-than-thou DB's at every turn.

And yeah, I don't have an endless income like some people here (I don't work because I can't) so P2W is not going to happen. Even if I did have the money and could buy whatever, whenever, I still wouldn't bother. More important stuff out there than something in a video game that you'll one day lose.

For me, it is more the players and their disgusting attitudes that keep me away. No, not every PvPer is like this, but the majority you find, are. Also, I am not a 'guy.' You may now play the "you must be on your period' card, because I know I've likely said something you probably weren't a fan of. =P

LOL, and you blame PVE fits into PVP also?

NICE.

Do you always peek around a corner looking for a PVP'er every time you go into a new zone or instance?

Even if you stop over in ESD?

You talk about bad, nasty attitudes from people, then you post your stuff also.

:rolleyes:
    XzRTofz.gif
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Reprogramming computers to get an edge in a simulation that's not intended to be won, exploiting every last loophole, spending all night drinking and chasing furry women...

...wait, maybe there is something very canon about PvP after all. :P

Haahaa! Well you had best be chasing my furry tail in PvE because if you do it in PvP I am going to have to turn around and blow you up!

However, I generally have to agree that for the Federation battle has never been their primary mission or concern. Now the Klingons are a WHOLE different story.
    edited December 2013
    falkor2010 wrote: »
    +1 Signed. The first two alone would take minimal coding and revive the PvP queues. Please oh please :D

I hope so too.
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I will GLADLY endorse every one of these ideas! If we could get these implemented I can honestly say that PvP would finally start looking a bit more interesting and fun. I'd still prefer PvE but wouldn't hesitate to PvP under these conditions! :D
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
    edited December 2013
    lomax6996 wrote: »
    I will GLADLY endorse every one of these ideas! If we could get these implemented I can honestly say that PvP would finally start looking a bit more interesting and fun. I'd still prefer PvE but wouldn't hesitate to PvP under these conditions! :D

If we can make our feelings known in a positive manner consistently it might just happen.
    edited December 2013

It seems that we have hit pay dirt with these ideas.
  • defileddragondefileddragon Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's just a question of who's got the best gear. PvP in MMO's is casual by its very nature. Even the so called "hardcore" PvPers are casual because it's impossible to take MMO PvP seriously in any way. Look at all the pro and non pro gaming leagues out there. CS:S, CS 1.6, WCIII, SCII. They all have one thing in common. The deciding factor for victory in those games is skill. Something that's markedly absent from MMO PvP. This is why I don't bother.