test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To the PVE community, Why don't you PVP?

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,397 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sometimes there are elitist asshats in the queues.

Now..... am I talking about PvE or PvP?
    Well, since there are only elitist asshats in the queues sometimes, you must be talking about PvE...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, since there are only elitist asshats in the queues sometimes, you must be talking about PvE...

You forgot to underline/use bold text on the sometimes. Very good though. ;)

How to get a PvE player into PvP, insult them, mock them and tell them how rubbish the PvP is. Yup, that'll work! Grats PvP forum community in your own goal.:D

Or, was it all a cunning plan to keep PvE players from joining your games? Hmmm, hmmm? lol
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Quippy. Most I ever see said in PvP matches is target calling and 'gg' at the end. You must just be unlucky I guess.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I used to PvP regularly. There was a time early on, as messed up as the mechanics were, that PvP had a skill-based element to it.

Then came to consoles.

And the afkers.

And the F2P.

PvP just isn't fun when there is so much going on that your screen becomes this nightmarish vomit of Technicolor console spamming.

PvP was *never* great but it was good once. Players felt they were actually in a space battle that required some measure of skill.

When winning became a matter of pocketbooks, I basically stopped.
  • Options
    dunmovyndunmovyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know a lot of good reasons not to pvp, but I would like to hear yours.
    In space it is hard to defend against the hordes of players abusing g-well, faw, and sensor spam. Worse yet a full premade team of players who do that.
    On ground, the pvp players simply have more skill points and traits invested in ground. Worse yet, a 5 man team of players who are ground spec and still feel the need to exploit, run broken sci officers, and cloak gank players with half their skill points invested even though such extreme measures are not called for.
    A lone player who enters without a full team of seasoned pvp players is guaranteed a demoralizing and severe loss to a premade team. The chances of encountering these teams are far too high due to the limited number of pvp participants, but it is also the fault of these teams and fleets for running the pve majority out of the Q with their barbaric play style.
    Could it be that pvp in this game is not fun and only exists for the sake of existing or feeling hard core? What would it take to get you interested in pvp? I would like to add that players from the pvp minority are not welcome on this thread. It is not for you. This thread is to find the opinions of the casual, pve majority.

I don't pvp because it is not fun.

Who wants to participate in a ten year old(child) recreation football team against the Super bowl winners?

Not me. The only way I'd consider it, is if there were a graduated system, where equal ability people played each other. As you play you rank up in grade, and can no longer compete with those below you.

Or maybe a handicap system, where you get bonuses in defense and attack to bring you to the others level (like golf). Handicaps then to be recalculated after each match.

If you elite pvper's wanna brag then, you could compare handicaps.

But at least the matches would be fun.

Until then , I'm out.
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know where you are coming from dunmovyn, and in an ideal world this would indeed go a long way.

The problem is that in the real world there will always be enough asshats who will deliberately handicap/downgrade themselves just so that they can steam roll all over players less skilled than themselves, and then mock them.

Oh and let's not forget the really bad players who after been killed for the nth time due to their own stupid mistakes (getting out of range of healers, running directly into concentrated fire etc) rage at their OWN team members for letting them die...... But then, is there an MMO on this planet where bad players DON'T blame the healers? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I don't know DDIS's motivations when they posted in the thread but my first post in the thread was to try to show that the "the (entire) PVP community is terribad" thing that's going on is plain wrong, then I went and got caught up in discussion with others, I think Gohan's originial motivation was very much the same, seems we failed in that respect.

Epically, in fact. But that's to be expected form posts like Gohan's and DDIS', that drip with obvious contempt for the mewling lessers they're being forced to speak to.

And until that inability to speak to an outsider without sounding like you want to wipe them off your boot and move on is solved, y'all can talk until you're blue in the face and won't produce any result aside from more people citing you as a good example of why they don't PvP.
  • Options
    colonelkiracolonelkira Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One question:
    If cryptic makes npc's, who would use actively buffs and act intelligent, instead of being dumb cannon fodder, with just a big bloat of hp's and sometimes really powerful shots, would you stop playing pve stuff?
    58. / SvK
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To be quite, quite honest - I have a feeling many people on both sides are reading intentions and attitudes into posts that simply aren't there. And if there are, one person tars the rest of the group with the same brush.

Forum posts are a lousy way to communicate......

Anyways, any offers of help in PvP to someone who hasn't PvPed before is simply to get someone used to it. Nobody is disparaging your skills. We probably know some stuff you don't, and you may know some stuff we don't. Where do you think DPS-FAW PvP philosophy came from? A major complaint some of us see is about the learning curve, and so we want to do a little bit to help. Think along the lines of, "OK, in PvP, a lot of people do this and this and this. Do you have some ideas for counters, or would you like a little theorycrafting from us?"
    And until that inability to speak to an outsider without sounding like you want to wipe them off your boot and move on is solved, y'all can talk until you're blue in the face and won't produce any result aside from more people citing you as a good example of why they don't PvP.

So what should we do, eh? Can you give an example of a post that offers some help getting used to things, for those who may want to give it a shot, and that no one would find contemptuous? Because I'm really stumped. The way people are saying things, any offer of help just makes us sound elitist.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think that a better question would be, Why do you PVP? What is the goal and purpose? To kill a bunch of digital pics, why don't you just fight mobs and NPCs? What is your real motivation for PVP?

Do you PVP because you enjoy ganking? Gloating? Insulting less qualified players? I really honestly cannot see any reason to why PVP other than cause grief, offend, insult or put to shame those who are less talented or don't have a big bank account to achieve the superweapons.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    colonelkiracolonelkira Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    I think that a better question would be, Why do you PVP? What is the goal and purpose? To kill a bunch of digital pics, why don't you just fight mobs and NPCs? What is your real motivation for PVP?

Do you PVP because you enjoy ganking? Gloating? Insulting less qualified players? I really honestly cannot see any reason to why PVP other than cause grief, offend, insult or put to shame those who are less talented or don't have a big bank account to achieve the superweapons.

A 15-0 stomp doesn't make fun, for both sides. Why PvP? People like to fight dynamic opponents. PvE doesn't offer this the most time. Except NWS most challenges are just 'how fast you can do it'. And tbh... you're fine with borg set, some basic understanding of boff skills and at least some piloting skill. Just ask what to use, people will answer you.
    58. / SvK
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    scurry5 wrote: »
    Think along the lines of, "OK, in PvP, a lot of people do this and this and this. Do you have some ideas for counters, or would you like a little theorycrafting from us?"

Which is a far cry from "The problem is you're all scared to lose, and all the time you've wasted in PvE hasn't prepared you for PvP." Which is about the flavor that comes, consistently, from Gohan and DDIS.
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I'm an average PVP'er. Although I dont participate in the PVP queues much anymore, too many premade teams in those queues now. I spend most of my time in Kerrat, which has its own problems but not as many as the queues.

You dont need a lot of money. Borg Reputation... Assimilated Deflector and Assimilated Impulse Engine, as for the shield some say go with the M.A.C.O Shield (also in the rep) and some say go with the Assimilated Shield. Those three items cost nothing but Dilithium (which you will get a stack of just by playing the elite STF's and time. If your in a fleet, get an Elite Fleet Shield, but keep the Borg two peice.

Weapons is a tricky part though. Sure, you REALLY need at least "Advanced" fleet weapons, but you can get along just fine by buying up cheap Voth or Elachi weapons on the marketplace, just make sure they have an [ACC] modifier on them, between the two I would go with the Voth weapons, they seem to hit harder.

Next is consoles, you want to stack as many Neutroniums as you can manage, if you aint in the fleet or dont have the Dil, the cost of Mk 12 Blue Neutroniums on the marketplace has quite frankly crashed hard since the fleet ones came out. Youll also need the Borg Kinetic Cutting Beam, that Universal Assimilated Console and the Omega Torpedo, again, all three of those are in the Borg Rep and give a fairly nice three set bonus.

As for Bridge Officer Skills, youll want Tac Team (a must), youll also need Reverse Shield Polarity, Engineering Team, Hazard Emitters, Emergency Power to Shields, a cannon/beam skill, a Torpedo skill (if you can fit it) and that would do the basics.

As for Bridge Officers, youll want one Saurian which will give you the "Efficient" trait which is good for power, youll want two Humans with the leadership trait for quicker inherent hull healing, and at least one romulan with that trait which gives ya better crits (cant remember the name of that trait right now).

Then you have your Space DOFFS to think about, theres many different combinations, but a doff to bring down the cool down on Tac Team and Engineering Team is a must, that will take up two DOFF slots, or ya can just go down that Aux 2 Batt route, but the doffs for that are... expensive.

The above tips would give you a VERY basic pvp ready ship, which would cost nothing but time grinding and selling loot.

I dont work, i'm a partially blind (registered with the RNIB in the UK) player and disabled so I dont have a lot of money, the ONLY time I have spent real cash in this game was to get three things... my CStore Excelsior, my Fleet Excelsior and now my Fleet Avenger. The rest was grind, grind, grind.

I'm not a "great" pvp'er, im just "average" but I can hold my own and with a selection of ships which have been kitted out for next to no cost, only time, and grind.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I find the Borg on ground missions tough enough that I don't have the need to PVP, but again I am one of those "bad players" who works, have a family and can only spend so much time in game.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited December 2013

When I PVP, I rarely use the public queues anymore. I usually PVP with fleet mates for a few reasons:

1) To determine the strengths and weaknesses of my current ship build, then optimize my build further based on what I learn

2) To keep my ship to ship combat skills sharp. Computer AI offer no meaningful challenge at this time -- Human opponents generally provide better adversarial tactics and counter-moves as a meaningful threat.

3) To evaluate opponent ship builds and offer constructive advice if requested

4) To test out new equipment

5) To test ambiguous, ill-documented game powers, skills, features, and mechanics.

My fleet is not a PVP fleet, yet we regularly conduct private fleet PVP fights between all interested parties, males and females alike (yes, it's easy to tell who's who on TS). Everyone usually walks away from these matches with positive comments.

As for the public PVP queues, yeah, I've seen my share of PUG-stomping, AFK'ing, etc... to the point that I've stopped using them. I would return if a non-teamed PVP queue were ever formed, because "kirking" provides a different but equally enjoyable style of entertainment :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Fleet PVP is another animal, I find it to be like you said a well created event to hone your skills.

I have PVP in the past and I cannot stand the griefing or the ganking, I remember a game that shall not be mentioned when I was a level 15 and a level 65 would sit outside the gate of the city just to gank us new players and laughed about it and insulted us and the devs didn't do squat.

• Options
    cardall87cardall87 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd only PvP if the following happened:

The PvP battles were conducted in generic/arbitrary ships. You join a queue, you get in. Prior to the round starting, you get a ship. No PP, not P2W; all officers of the same class get the same vessel. Example: all TACs > Defiant, all SCI > Intrepid, all ENG > Galaxy.

Once you've got your ship, you select your desired consoles/BOffs from a list. This allows you to customize your style, but removes OP consoles and those who hide behind ridiculous builds.

Probably sounds really draconian to impose such strict limitations, but it's the only thing that would appeal to me. It would mean the games are likely to be a lot closer and harder fought. It would eliminate the players who think the be all and end all is how overpowered they can make themselves in a computer game. It means your own skill as a player means a lot more: when do you fire your abilities to turn the tide of the battle?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    cardall87 wrote: »
    I'd only PvP if the following happened:

The PvP battles were conducted in generic/arbitrary ships. You join a queue, you get in. Prior to the round starting, you get a ship. No PP, not P2W; all officers of the same class get the same vessel. Example: all TACs > Defiant, all SCI > Intrepid, all ENG > Galaxy.

Once you've got your ship, you select your desired consoles/BOffs from a list. This allows you to customize your style, but removes OP consoles and those who hide behind ridiculous builds.

Probably sounds really draconian to impose such strict limitations, but it's the only thing that would appeal to me. It would mean the games are likely to be a lot closer and harder fought. It would eliminate the players who think the be all and end all is how overpowered they can make themselves in a computer game. It means your own skill as a player means a lot more: when do you fire your abilities to turn the tide of the battle?

A "Stock-ship" PVP queue would be a nice addition to STO, though the problem with the format is that it cuts directly into Cryptic's financial model by discouraging use of Z-store and lock-box purchased items. Without a steady stream of real-world funds, STO will cease being profitable and eventually shut down.

Therefore, you will never PVP except in privately organized matches following your desired format.
  • Options
    cardall87cardall87 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    shar487a wrote: »
    A "Stock-ship" PVP queue would be a nice addition to STO, though the problem with the format is that it cuts directly into Cryptic's financial model by discouraging use of Z-store and lock-box purchased items. Without a steady stream of real-world funds, STO will cease being profitable and eventually shut down.

Therefore, you will never PVP except in privately organized matches following your desired format.

You're absolutely right! I'm happy to stick with fleet/friend bases PvP matches that impose limitations as such. But I'm also happy sticking with PvE!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,397 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    shar487a wrote: »

Not necessarily. As I mentioned previously, there's something similar in CO - Silver players can customize their superheroes' appearance, but unless they're willing to shell out fifty bucks US for a single slot, they use an Archetype - a character with a predefined power progression (for instance, a Behemoth, a super-strong Archetype with limited invulnerability, starts off with one attack that consists of regular punches, and one that lets you wind up first. At 11th lvl, IIRC, you get your first choice of powers - you can either get the Haymaker, which can send your opponent flying, or a double-hand strike that cuts down your opponent's damage resistance).

In the Hero Games, there are two tiers of PvP games available - the Limited games, which are available only to ATs, and the Unlimited, which are open to everyone, Archetype or Freeform.

In this concept for STO, there would be the tier where everyone gets an identical ship (aside from BOffs and consoles), and the tier where you bring in the ship you spent all the money on. That still wouldn't eliminate the unpleasant people, but at least it would restrict what they could trash-talk about in the limited tier...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For me, it has nothing to do with community. I'm not one of those PvEers that you'll find insulting PvPers and calling them all whiney ganking TRIBBLE. People are people, and you have bad apples in any niche.

I'll freely admit that one of the reasons why I don't PvP is the same reason I play video games on the easiest possible difficulty - I have zero desire to concentrate and pay attention when doing something I do as a relaxation activity.

I fully understand that not everyone games for the same reason as me - and so we have hardcore difficulty levels, and PvP and all that kind of thing. But for me? Games are a way to relax, unwind after a mentally challenging day at the office. I just wanna switch my brain off and watch some pixellated bad guys explode at my whim on my computer monitor.

I like RPGs for this purpose, because RPGs tend to strictly enforce the division between player ability and character ability. My personal abilty to aim a phaser, swing a sword or shrug off a distruptor bolt is irrelevant. It's all about how good my character is. In an RPG, I don't really have to have any personal skill to succeed, and that's the way it should be.

PvP tends to be about both bettering builds and skill - and while I'm all for the former, I have no interest in the latter. (in this specific context)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    fenr00k wrote: »
    Could be worst, I live in England where 2 inches of snow causes the country to grind to a halt, and where there's massive panic if we get gale force winds let alone a hurricane. ;)

I used to live in a country village where if you sneezed too hard the power went off. Seriously, it happened once! :D

Mimey, good luck with the tournament bud! It's brilliant when players take a bit of responsiblity for their own enjoyment and fun. :cool:

Thanks.

Though honestly, I think England does have bigger problems to worry about than a bit of wind or snow. Like...I dunno...

Dalek invasions?
    Cybermen infiltration?
    Etc

:P
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Not necessarily. As I mentioned previously, there's something similar in CO - Silver players can customize their superheroes' appearance, but unless they're willing to shell out fifty bucks US for a single slot, they use an Archetype - a character with a predefined power progression (for instance, a Behemoth, a super-strong Archetype with limited invulnerability, starts off with one attack that consists of regular punches, and one that lets you wind up first. At 11th lvl, IIRC, you get your first choice of powers - you can either get the Haymaker, which can send your opponent flying, or a double-hand strike that cuts down your opponent's damage resistance).

In the Hero Games, there are two tiers of PvP games available - the Limited games, which are available only to ATs, and the Unlimited, which are open to everyone, Archetype or Freeform.

In this concept for STO, there would be the tier where everyone gets an identical ship (aside from BOffs and consoles), and the tier where you bring in the ship you spent all the money on. That still wouldn't eliminate the unpleasant people, but at least it would restrict what they could trash-talk about in the limited tier...

The above examples still do not adequately explain how having stock-build-only queue will not negatively impact lock box and Z-store sales. Yes, both queues can co-exist in parallel, but any queue banning the use of purchased virtual gear directly undermines Cryptic's / PWE's financial model. By giving players a competing format that bans Cryptic-purchased goods, Cryptic diminishes player demand for their virtual items.

The only way to avoid the above is to return STO to its original subscription model with no purchased items available anywhere. However, this financial model has already failed, so there is little incentive to repeat such history. This is why Cryptic originally moved to a F2P micro-transaction model.

"Now that the genie is out of the bottle, it is very difficult to put it back in."
  • Options
    ianluxorianluxor Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If i want to PvP i play World of Tanks :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ianluxor wrote: »
    If i want to PvP i play World of Tanks :)

Awesome post!!!!:D

• Options
    tudenomtudenom Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think this video pretty much sums it up for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrOfQvjP-gs

5 kills in 5 seconds. He was so sure that he would destroy the other team that he didn't even bother with backup.

I realize that he took an opportunity that he knew was coming, geared himself appropriately, and timed it well, but should this really be possible in PVP?

I figure you should be able to destroy one ship and seriously mess up a second if they're caught with their pants down, but a whole team vaporized in less than six seconds?

Lame.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tudenom wrote: »

5 kills in 5 seconds. He was so sure that he would destroy the other team that he didn't even bother with backup.

I realize that he took an opportunity that he knew was coming, geared himself appropriately, and timed it well, but should this really be possible in PVP?

I figure you should be able to destroy one ship and seriously mess up a second if they're caught with their pants down, but a whole team vaporized in less than six seconds?

Lame.

O_O

Ye gods.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tudenom wrote: »

I must admit I admire this player whomever s/he may be, this is something only a Rom Tac can do and even then you have to run full spec in particle gens and attack patterns and only Mk XII Embassy particle gens consoles in sci and I think it took two ISO consoles. with full rep... yeah, it's prolly a unique build and it would be negated by running even a basic buff cycle on most ships, it'll only team-vape at the beginning of a game.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I must admit I admire this player whomever s/he may be, this is something only a Rom Tac can do and even then you have to run full spec in particle gens and attack patterns and only Mk XII Embassy particle gens consoles in sci and I think it took two ISO consoles. with full rep... yeah, it's prolly a unique build and it would be negated by running even a basic buff cycle on most ships, it'll only team-vape at the beginning of a game.

Is it common, in that scenario, to see so many criticals coming so rapidly?
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    Is it common, in that scenario, to see so many criticals coming so rapidly?

I have never tried to build a ship that needs the kind of crit rate that type of thing would need to pull off, as to common, I would have to say no, ultimately though it's luck of the draw.
    ZiOfChe.png?1