test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To the PVE community, Why don't you PVP?

Comments

• Options
    l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They dont PvP coz they dont wana get beat !
    PvE is easy you just turn up and be a god, in PvP there is a good chance your PvE god like skills will do nothing and you will be made to look a n00b !
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    PvE is easy you just turn up and be a god, in PvP there is a good chance your PvE god like skills will do nothing and you will be made to look a n00b !

This is why we can't have nice things.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Not what you might call the most constructive contribution to the discussion.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Actually, your remark right there is a reason in itself. People don't mind losing, there is always that chance. It's when it's rubbed in their face by trolls that they are turned off to pvp.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    Not what you might call the most constructive contribution to the discussion.

You could call it a fitting epitaph though.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Your house is on fire let me get the hose

NOOOOO!! I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP!!! I DID NOT ASK YOU TO PUT OUT THE FIRE!! :D

Always something funny to add :D
    wiff44 wrote: »
    cause I get my TRIBBLE kicked ,,, no fun ... ive build my ships to my best of my abilities and resources and still I get my TRIBBLE kicked ....

I know how this feels, I also know how it feels to do this to someone as a matter of routine, take it from me, it feels no better to kick someone's TRIBBLE routinely than it does to get your TRIBBLE kicked routinely. With that said, if you do have another go I'd advise doing so via OrganisedPVP and ask about how they do what they do and how you can maybe improve your build, a few times I've done a 1v1 with people there and then spent the next hour or so discussing general stuff (builds, tactics, ideas) and going around again a few times afterwards.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A few reasons have made me pvp less.

Most of my time has been consumed by grinding my 8 characters reputations. So all pve.

Romulans vs romulans something I never liked the idea of along with same faction fighting. Always a bit of a turn off for me.

The war needs spicing up so maybe a reputation system that could encourage people to pvp because the rewards are greater than in pve.

New maps would be cool too... Ones that need you to play the game properly.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    Actually, your remark right there is a reason in itself. People don't mind losing, there is always that chance. It's when it's rubbed in their face by trolls that they are turned off to pvp.

I tend to laugh when I lost.

But you are right. Sometimes I was thanked for being a good sport, sometimes it was just silence. But then of course on some occasions some moron tries to wind me up about it.

I don't react to it, and it doesn't take long until they either give up or some other player gets involved when they point out who the real moron is.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    You could call it a fitting epitaph though.

Sad but true.

I'm beginning to come round to the idea that whats required is for a large enough group of PvE players to decide they want PvP as well and for them to take the bull by the horns.

I do appreciate that there are a significent number of good hearted PvP players right now, but they all seem to be convinced that the way they've done things in the past is the way forward if only all the rest of us would listen.

There may well have been a tyler durden tournament a while back in which some people who never played PvP before took part.

where was the publicity? The match reports?

Was it down in the PvP fora where PvE players almost never go? If it was posted here at all?

Was there a novice competition?

If we really want to see PvP become something less niche, then we have to treat it as less niche.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Your house is on fire let me get the hose

NOOOOO!! I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP!!! I DID NOT ASK YOU TO PUT OUT THE FIRE!! :D

Please. :rolleyes:

"Friendly advice" in a PvP match is 100% about someone's need to feel superior. "Let me do you a favor, because I know SO MUCH MORE than you."

And then it's a big flipping mystery why people minimize the chat window and don't use headsets. I don't need some neckbeard screeching at me about the horrific offense of deviating from his cookie cutter formula. :rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    "Friendly advice" in a PvP match is 100% about someone's need to feel superior. "Let me do you a favor, because I know SO MUCH MORE than you."

Because nice people who just want to help don't exist.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Because good people who just want to help don't exist.

Because unasked for help isn't helpful.

I'm sure the motivations are pure, but motivation isn't the whole story.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Because good people who just want to help don't exist.

I do not owe anyone the chance to prove me wrong about that. You have no claim to my attention, and your "advice" is not solicited. You can either queue with your spammy premade, or take the pugs you get and live with it.
  • Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To me the biggest issue in PVP is the players themselves.

Some people go way too far with the trash talk. Making a remark or two is fine but when I see players dogging others for 10 minutes that's a little too much.

I have also seen racist, homophobic, sexist, and all other manner of deplorable speech directed at players in a PVP map.

People act like PVP is the only thing to do in this game and that everyone better be good at it right off the bat or they should expect the abuse heaped upon them. New people come to the game which means they don't have the experience or gear that someone who has been playing for 4 years. Trash talking and intimating new players won't win most of them over to PVP and will probably keep them from PVP zones with the added probability of leaving STO altogether.

I'm not saying everyone should be best friends but at least win or lose graciously. I personally have had enough of some of the more disgusting remarks, I PM someone who goes too far with comments to ask them to stop but if they continue I will make a report. You can call me a rat, a snitch, or come after me in Kerrat all you like but I'm not going to stop. I have been surprised that most players acknowledge they've gone too far and apologize, it is very seldom that I have actually sent in reports to the GMs.

We should encourage players instead of being mean spirited, if we do maybe more people will give pvp a shot, or we can continue punishing new player then wonder why no one likes pvp.

I also think we need more pvp maps with a wider range of options like cloak free zones or shuttle zones.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • Options
    g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Your the only n00b here, you got owned for not reading the thread....

See you on the battlefield for I won't shed a tear for your timely death
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • Options
    mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    g0h4n4 wrote: »
    Your the only n00b here, you got owned for not reading the thread....

See you on the battlefield for I won't shed a tear for your timely death

Gohan, this thread is not for the main stream pvp players. This is for the casual community to express their ideas on how to make pvp enjoyable for them. Please leave this thread for them.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    To me the biggest issue in PVP is the players themselves.

Some people go way too far with the trash talk. Making a remark or two is fine but when I see players dogging others for 10 minutes that's a little too much.

I have also seen racist, homophobic, sexist, and all other manner of deplorable speech directed at players in a PVP map.

People act like PVP is the only thing to do in this game and that everyone better be good at it right off the bat or they should expect the abuse heaped upon them. New people come to the game which means they don't have the experience or gear that someone who has been playing for 4 years. Trash talking and intimating new players won't win most of them over to PVP and will probably keep them from PVP zones with the added probability of leaving STO altogether.

I'm not saying everyone should be best friends but at least win or lose graciously. I personally have had enough of some of the more disgusting remarks, I PM someone who goes too far with comments to ask them to stop but if they continue I will make a report. You can call me a rat, a snitch, or come after me in Kerrat all you like but I'm not going to stop. I have been surprised that most players acknowledge they've gone too far and apologize, it is very seldom that I have actually sent in reports to the GMs.

We should encourage players instead of being mean spirited, if we do maybe more people will give pvp a shot, or we can continue punishing new player then wonder why no one likes pvp.

I also think we need more pvp maps with a wider range of options like cloak free zones or shuttle zones.

There lies some of the problems. Park yourself in ESD and enable Zone chat and you will see the amount of trash that goes on.

I highly advise against PMing people to ask them to stop as that will make you a target and see you as 'raging'. Just gg and move on to somewhere else or you will become troll farmed from some fleets.
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wow Mcduffie369, that was fast.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Gohan, this thread is not for the main stream pvp players. This is for the casual community to express their ideas on how to make pvp enjoyable for them. Please leave this thread for them.

But some of the so called PVPers come in here to troll and think they can get away with it
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    LOL this thread is still going on? Just glanced at the last two pages: same attitudes, same result. Who's surprised?

Bottom line is the same as I posted before: getting roflstomped by the e-peen squads is no fun, and there is no upside to PvP. I can get my daily dilithium elsewhere.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    STO's pvp is the most unbalanced pvp I've seen. And I played APB with the p2win guns.

Cstore/boxes consoles are OP. Some build are crazy. Some skills are lolz. And premades rules.

I honestly don't think there is any kind of hope left for PVP in STO. For my PvP experience, I play other games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've got a couple of reasons.
    1. I'm not a terribly competitive person.
    2. My personal idea of "fun" in STO is to make builds I enjoy, which work reasonably well in PvE, but aren't necessarily min/maxed for PvP or a cookie-cutter build.
    3. There are enough PvP players with...colourful personalities...that I'd just as soon not associate with. I know that's not representative of all PvPers, but it's easier to avoid/ignore people like that in PvE missions.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    Wow Mcduffie369, that was fast.

This thread is important to me. I enjoy pvp but have been in enough pvp fleets to know that their actions damage the general communities interest in pvp. The pvp community is so small. I am tired of that, and I am tired of the way pugs encounter and get stomped by premades 99% of the time they Q. I am preying that the mighty DEVs hear our cries.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This thread is important to me. I enjoy pvp but have been in enough pvp fleets to know that their actions damage the general communities interest in pvp. The pvp community is so small. I am tired of that, and I am tired of the way pugs encounter and get stomped by premades 99% of the time they Q. I am preying that the mighty DEVs hear our cries.

I hear you, but we've been crying as a PVP community since Beta.... When was the last time they the DEVs' answered a PVP orientated request honestly and with substance

Even Blue Geek a moderator who has been around for some time and seen alot of what is wrong with PVP can't do squat because his Line managers don't care and turn a blind eye to PVP.

In Space no one can hear you scream PVP

So all we can do as a community is rally together and put our differences aside. As you can see from the two TRIBBLE posters in here that the PVP community has some mending to do, but this is also true from the PVE side as well. You can't control someone's behaviour, but you can make them marginalised.
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hear you, but we've been crying as a PVP community since Beta.... When was the last time they the DEVs' answered a PVP orientated request honestly and with substance

Maybe just take your hint from this? You've been playing STO since beta, and the PvP still hasn't been made into what you want it to be. Maybe just maybe the lesson there is that this just isn't EVER going to be a game with the focus on PvP that you want?

Find a game to play that has what you want, works better than trying to get a game that doesn't have what you want into something else.

There are lots and lots of games with the EXACT features folks have been asking for here and in other threads. They just aren't Star Trek.

STO has NEVER been the game you wanted it to be, clearly, so why are you even still around? You don't go to a pizza place expecting fish and chips...
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    fenr00k wrote: »
    Maybe just take your hint from this? You've been playing STO since beta, and the PvP still hasn't been made into what you want it to be. Maybe just maybe the lesson there is that this just isn't EVER going to be a game with the focus on PvP that you want?

Find a game to play that has what you want, works better than trying to get a game that doesn't have what you want into something else.

There are lots and lots of games with the EXACT features folks have been asking for here and in other threads. They just aren't Star Trek.

STO has NEVER been the game you wanted it to be, clearly, so why are you even still around? You don't go to a pizza place expecting fish and chips...

It's sad but what you have sad is true, however what keeps me here is the community and the friends I have made with my current and past Fleet. I enjoy a good communal pew pew and STF's too. My favourite past time now is grinding Voth battleground easy and quick.

But because I am cynical about Cryptic doesn't mean you can't enjoy what's left of PVP. All I can do as one person is to try my best to make sure others enjoy what they can from PVP.

I intend to move to another game Star Citizen, but it no where near ready yet, I have poured some signicant resources in as I am no longer pledging to STO.
  • Options
    fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's sad but what you have sad is true, however what keeps me here is the community and the friends I have made with my current and past Fleet. I enjoy a good communal pew pew and STF's too. My favourite past time now is grinding Voth battleground easy and quick.

But because I am cynical about Cryptic doesn't mean you can't enjoy what's left of PVP. All I can do as one person is to try my best to make sure others enjoy what they can from PVP.

I intend to move to another game Star Citizen, but it no where near ready yet, I have poured some signicant resources in as I am no longer pledging to STO.

They are excellent reasons to stick around Gohan, I've done the same in the past. I too prefer STFs etc with a group of fleet mates.

Oh and you may have gotten the idea that I don't like PvP, this isn't actually true. I've just found that I dislike the attitudes of SOME of those who focus on PvP, I find that they ruin what should be a friendly competition into, well I am sure you can find the words that fit. I've never even said this is all or even a majority of PvPers, just that there are enough to wipe out any "fun" I might otherwise extract from PvP. One of my fave MMOs of all time was actually PvP focused, trolls killed it though with their flaming and stupid behaviour. The player community who actually joined PvP couldn't grow, as they drove off new players before they could learn. Now you just can't get a PvP match, all that's left is lackluster PvE, which was never the intended focus.

I've been watching Star Citizen, but to be honest their approach has put me right off. Selling content for a game that doesn't even exist yet? Not something I like.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    fenr00k wrote: »
    They are excellent reasons to stick around Gohan, I've done the same in the past. I too prefer STFs etc with a group of fleet mates.

Oh and you may have gotten the idea that I don't like PvP, this isn't actually true. I've just found that I dislike the attitudes of SOME of those who focus on PvP, I find that they ruin what should be a friendly competition into, well I am sure you can find the words that fit. I've never even said this is all or even a majority of PvPers, just that there are enough to wipe out any "fun" I might otherwise extract from PvP. One of my fave MMOs of all time was actually PvP focused, trolls killed it though with their flaming and stupid behaviour. The player community who actually joined PvP couldn't grow, as they drove off new players before they could learn. Now you just can't get a PvP match, all that's left is lackluster PvE, which was never the intended focus.

I've been watching Star Citizen, but to be honest their approach has put me right off. Selling content for a game that doesn't even exist yet? Not something I like.

Give Star citizen time, their model is based solely on crowd funding as there is no big publisher to make them release a broken game, ala X rebirth/ Simcity/ Diablo 3 e.t.c e.t.c you don't need to peldge until the game comes out and all the ships you can get in game.

When I started out PVP I used to get enraged by all the trash talk on Zone chat, but in the end, it all went away when I ignored them/ disabled Zone chat. Don't let them immature teenagers get to you, any of you, and most of all do not RAGE or reply to theor comments, as you will make yourself a prime target as you react and are liable to RAGE for their entertainment.

Unfortuantely no game can control people's behaviour, however we as a repsonsible community are the only ones that can help ourselves by not condoning this behaviours.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek