test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 is a failure.

Comments

• ominoushomicideominoushomicide Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    how about the fact its almost been a week and these losers haven't fix this god damn game. which means i'm missing out on my free lobi and i would bet they dont give me anything for all this bs they have caused me . other sites will give things out when they mess up. shoot i even played a few that they give out items just for bringing the server down. but not this site. they just tell u tuff s@%$ and move on. its been fun playing this but i think its about time i hang it up. this is freaking ridiculous. my other comp that cant play the freaking game can play it and get on but can't get far. but not my comp that can play skyrim on max.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    red01999 wrote: »
    As I recall, it was much easier for Picard to follow the Prime Directive when he was not the one doing the actual act.

The episode where Data makes contact with a little kid on a dying world comes to mind. He orders Data to cut her off and let her die. Only when he hears the pleas does he tell Data not to do it. And again with the Mintakans (sp?), when he left it to someone else to essentially let a native die because the Federation researchers screwed up. Considering that could be argued as accessory to manslaughter at the very least that was a particularly bad incident.

Kind of disgusting, really. That said, I like Picard's character, but the way the Prime Directive tends to be handled can be very heavy-handed and unsavory. I pretty much blame the script writers and producers for that one, since it seems fairly out-of-character for most of the otherwise-heroic Starfleet officers.

Yeah, the Prime Directive is clearly meant to protect cultures from exploitation and being unduly influenced. Unfortunately writers often try to twist it into something draconian and absolute. Better to commit genocide because the alternative might result in something worse? How screwed IS a society that comes up with that? And how screwed up is a species that actually follows through with it?

Honestly, the modern interpretation of the Prime Directive is just a needless drama generator, meant to create artificial conflict when none would occur. Its why those episodes ALWAYS come off so heavy handed and leave a viewer thinking.... wait, I thought I was suppoossed to be rooting for the good guys, no?

Now, if one takes the position that its cannon since it was written into the shows (regardless of how bad it was); it, more than anything the Section 31 detractors could ever come up with, smears the supposedly utopian federation into something truly ugly.
  • abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    how about the fact its almost been a week and these losers haven't fix this god damn game. which means i'm missing out on my free lobi and i would bet they dont give me anything for all this bs they have caused me . other sites will give things out when they mess up. shoot i even played a few that they give out items just for bringing the server down. but not this site. they just tell u tuff s@%$ and move on. its been fun playing this but i think its about time i hang it up. this is freaking ridiculous. my other comp that cant play the freaking game can play it and get on but can't get far. but not my comp that can play skyrim on max.

Oye. My Condolences. :(
  • kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited November 2013
    No. I simply state the truth.

It's standard forum policy to cleanup the forum by merging redundant threads. It doesn't matter why you made "your own" thread. The mods don't care. If it's discussing the same topic as an extant thread, *smoosh* in it goes.

Well you sound like an apologist to me. In fact I never see you being critical at all. Do you even have a critical bone in your body? You're just full of assumptions rather than the "truth" you speak of. For your info, that thread was unlike any other topic. It was a request of like minded players protesting the thin-whim imagination of one overzealous developer who wanted to pervert the only example we had of the voth. It was tied into a pro-dino thread and all the responses were deleted. It wasn't even merged.

So you're wrong, "truth" teller. It was a measure one of the mods took to squash dissent on the matter and nothing else. Can you handle being wrong?
    May good management be with you.
  • kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, the Prime Directive is clearly meant to protect cultures from exploitation and being unduly influenced. Unfortunately writers often try to twist it into something draconian and absolute. Better to commit genocide because the alternative might result in something worse? How screwed IS a society that comes up with that? And how screwed up is a species that actually follows through with it?

Honestly, the modern interpretation of the Prime Directive is just a needless drama generator, meant to create artificial conflict when none would occur. Its why those episodes ALWAYS come off so heavy handed and leave a viewer thinking.... wait, I thought I was suppoossed to be rooting for the good guys, no?

Now, if one takes the position that its cannon since it was written into the shows (regardless of how bad it was); it, more than anything the Section 31 detractors could ever come up with, smears the supposedly utopian federation into something truly ugly.

You've got a point here. Geko's slay-em-all approach is just dousing the star trek feel into this artificial pew pew kind of story line. It's as though diplomacy was completely ignored here. Especially for a species that let voyager go completely. You'd think they'd be more akin to trying diplomacy with them. But that's acknowledging that the voth would have even been involved with this conflict to begin with. Why would a superior technologically advanced society of scientists want with outdated genetics from an earth they never knew about and turn them into war beasts? I mean really? And why would they spend so much time foot soldiering the sphere when they clearly could outwit and overtake anything they wanted with tech alone.

Geko should be stepped down for this.
    May good management be with you.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kortaag wrote: »
    Well you sound like an apologist to me. In fact I never see you being critical at all. Do you even have a critical bone in your body? You're just full of assumptions rather than the "truth" you speak of. For your info, that thread was unlike any other topic. It was a request of like minded players protesting the thin-whim imagination of one overzealous developer who wanted to pervert the only example we had of the voth. It was tied into a pro-dino thread and all the responses were deleted. It wasn't even merged.

So you're wrong, "truth" teller. It was a measure one of the mods took to squash dissent on the matter and nothing else. Can you handle being wrong?
    *laughs hysterically*

Um, yeah... your thread was unique... like a snowflake.... all of them.... But Unique does not make it special. And petitions are against forum rules....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kortaag wrote: »

There's that word that is thrown around the forums far too often, 'Apologist'. You people make it sound like Cryptic is an evil empire and that siding with them, or appearing to, with anything makes you just as evil. They aren't. They are a company just like the rest of them. They have their good and bad perks, but I know that there are more deserving companies of the 'evil empire' title than cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    nagrom7 wrote: »
    There's that word that is thrown around the forums far too often, 'Apologist'. You people make it sound like Cryptic is an evil empire and that siding with them, or appearing to, with anything makes you just as evil. They aren't. They are a company just like the rest of them. They have their good and bad perks, but I know that there are more deserving companies of the 'evil empire' title than cryptic.

It's almost as if there's some kind of political or sports team mentality where it's either "all or nothing". You're either 100% for Cryptic (and an apologist) or you're 100% against Cryptic (and a hater).

Once you hate something or someone, everything they do becomes offensive. "Look at that idiot eating crackers like she owns the place."

It's solid black-and-white, with no gray areas in between. There's no such thing as being "objective" because saying anything that contradicts the angry mob makes you part of the opposing side of an issue. You can't support some things Cryptic does and criticise some things they do. You either have to hate everything they do or you're a Cryptic fanboy or a Cryptic apologist.

Even when approached with explicit evidence to support your arguments and debunk others, you're waved off as a Cryptic shill.

Why? Because putting any serious thought into being objective takes work and effort. It's a small mind that has an "all or nothing" mentality. To actually divide the things you like and the things you don't like and come to the conclusion that they do some things good and some things bad ends up ruining a righteous crusade narrative to destroy everything they stand for.

Because you realize that maybe they aren't evil. Maybe they're just a for-profit company made up of human beings who work 40 hours a week like the rest of us, play games like the rest of us, have families like the rest of us. And yes, even make mistakes like the rest of us.

It takes too much work to be objective. It's intellectually easier to just say "Cryptic bad." because it takes very little effort to paint the entire company in a broad stroke and everything they do is a crime against humanity and/or Star Trek.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited November 2013
    Let me redirect this back to Season 8. LoR, despite its many serious flaws, was welcomed by the general audience for its story content. However, Season 7 was criticized pretty heavily for being little more than another grind wheel for the STO fans ... myself included. Season 8 is very much like that and unlike Season 7 doesn't even bother to try to maintain continuity.

Most people are between the extremes of "hate" and "love" on Season 8. In general they tilt toward the dislike part of the spectrum based on feedback here.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • knucklesstarknucklesstar Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Let me redirect this back to Season 8. LoR, despite its many serious flaws, was welcomed by the general audience for its story content. However, Season 7 was criticized pretty heavily for being little more than another grind wheel for the STO fans ... myself included. Season 8 is very much like that and unlike Season 7 doesn't even bother to try to maintain continuity.

Most people are between the extremes of "hate" and "love" on Season 8. In general they tilt toward the dislike part of the spectrum based on feedback here.

You will never get the drones to listen, they'll tell themselves they are happy in the endless grind forever.
    edited November 2013
    unikon wrote: »
    The one issue everyone should be looking at for fault is the fact the conflict isn't really surrounded by the Sphere itself, Iconians or Voth, but the stretch to Omega Particles. Now THAT is completely out of left field. Starfleet would have never launched such a wide scale conflict over the detection of Omega Particles on a VERY distant location. They would have destroyed known gates to prevent access or sent a small team to covertly deal with the issue.
    Apparently they tried the covert approach and failed. It's in the briefing that Kaol gives you during the Circles mission....

When the covert approach failed, they had to resort to what we're currently doing.....

And the idea of destroying the gate.... That's what the Andorian guy wanted to do, but the Romulans claim it as their territory, and want to keep it intact, and the KDF is willing to support the Romulans(why is a good question, but possibly just to antagonize the Feds).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think you guys may be trying too hard to see something coherent and plausible. From what I've read so far, I don't see much of a coherent story based on little hints about a hidden story. Please keep sharing, because it's slowly peaking my interest. But I would like a coherent explanation for how the following stuff is connected with a coherent plot. Can you please summarize:

Dinos with lasers, the clicker body snatchers, Iconians, Dyson sphere, and let's not forget those pesky Undine.

I'm not trying to diss the nice STO writer, but I feel like her job must be incredibly difficult when she probably gets instructions like: "We're going to make a Dyson sphere and dinos with lasers... Oh and somehow work in something neat about this new shiny that we're selling. Oh, and here is a new set of buckets and buckets surrounding a new fleet holding. Connect the story to the buckets as well."

Season 8 is the result of that: A great story-rich FE and a bunch of "adventure zone" stuff and new buckets that leaves everyone grasping at clues to make some weird connections.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Perfect! Nothing more than this needs to be said.
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I think you guys may be trying too hard to see something coherent and plausible. From what I've read so far, I don't see much of a coherent story based on little hints about a hidden story. Please keep sharing, because it's slowly peaking my interest. But I would like a coherent explanation for how the following stuff is connected with a coherent plot. Can you please summarize:

Dinos with lasers, the clicker body snatchers, Iconians, Dyson sphere, and let's not forget those pesky Undine.

I'm not trying to diss the nice STO writer, but I feel like her job must be incredibly difficult when she probably gets instructions like: "We're going to make a Dyson sphere and dinos with lasers... Oh and somehow work in something neat about this new shiny that we're selling. Oh, and here is a new set of buckets and buckets surrounding a new fleet holding. Connect the story to the buckets as well."

Season 8 is the result of that: A great story-rich FE and a bunch of "adventure zone" stuff and new buckets that leaves everyone grasping at clues to make some weird connections.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It is a shame the action in (Dyson) space feels less compelling and ultimately rewarding, compared to the ground activities. Unless I have missed something essential. Just grabbing that daily token in the FedEx zone, and landing the ship for the rest of the time there. The gound (or whatever it is technically labeled), now that is the place where it all seems to roll in, like you're raiding the Dinosaur treasury. :P

---
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I see it this way, the "battlezone story" is what people complained about, they where tired of having the story handed to them it wasnt "immersive" enough, now that you have to learn the story on your own your mad about that.

There is literally no pleasing you people. Season 8 and the Battlezones are great and exactly what people asked for.

The rep is easier, marks and dil flow in like nobodies business. It is after all a game, and so it plays by rules the DEVs make, and all your complaining about how they do their jobs, makes them less enthusiastic to do it.

So suck it up and be glad.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    I see it this way, the "battlezone story" is what people complained about, they where tired of having the story handed to them it wasnt "immersive" enough, now that you have to learn the story on your own your mad about that.

There is literally no pleasing you people. Season 8 and the Battlezones are great and exactly what people asked for.

The rep is easier, marks and dil flow in like nobodies business. It is after all a game, and so it plays by rules the DEVs make, and all your complaining about how they do their jobs, makes them less enthusiastic to do it.

You're a Cryptic apologist for introducing facts and reality into this.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tyrannyfighter22tyrannyfighter22 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Quoted for truth! I pray Cryptic ignores the idiots on the forum complaining. They are the same people who complained that the rep before was to grindy. Now that its ten times easier they complain about the story. You complainers=fail.
  • nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For those complaining about a lack of story behind this season, there are missions that you get for tiering up the Dyson rep (like the romulan rep) that advance the story. I've only done the 1st one so far but they do add a bit more background info.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
    edited November 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »

Challenge accepted! :D

The Solanagen aliens(aka "clicker body snatchers") are minions of the Iconians. This is apparently how the Elachi(established as minions of the Iconians in the RR storyline) have their transporter tech.

It's also why you fight them in the FE. They're acting as caretakers for the Iconians. In one of the computer terminals you find in the FE, it talks about how the Iconians(or minions thereof) managed to covertly abduct one of the Romulan scientists from Mol'Rihan.

Shon finds some sort of weird teleporter device, and when you examine it you find out that it uses a six dimensional coordinate system and, without knowing how to set the coordinates, it's unusable. Shon was abducted and taken to the examination room while looking at this device, which suggests that it is the abduction device used by the Solanagen aliens.

The interior space that the FE takes place in is apparently something built by the "Solanae" race. But... this may or may not be the same race as the Solanagen aliens.

The Solanae were a servant race of the Iconians but later rebelled. (this is not seen in the FE, but comes from one of the consoles in the ground battle zone.) The Solanae also designed and built the Obelisk Carrier.

Or were you talking about the Voth side of the story? I'm still working on collecting that side.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    You're a Cryptic apologist for introducing facts and reality into this.

I am no such thing!!!

I tak issues with Bugs, Lag and all that fun jazz. You know the real problems that should be focused on?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Quoted for truth! I pray Cryptic ignores the idiots on the forum complaining. They are the same people who complained that the rep before was to grindy. Now that its ten times easier they complain about the story. You complainers=fail.

Throwing out insults always helps to get your point across! :rolleyes:

/end sarcasm.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

From an Ensign=Free Player... really impressive. Yeah, I said it.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Challenge accepted! :D

The Solanagen aliens(aka "clicker body snatchers") are minions of the Iconians. This is apparently how the Elachi(established as minions of the Iconians in the RR storyline) have their transporter tech.

It's also why you fight them in the FE. They're acting as caretakers for the Iconians. In one of the computer terminals you find in the FE, it talks about how the Iconians(or minions thereof) managed to covertly abduct one of the Romulan scientists from Mol'Rihan.

Shon finds some sort of weird teleporter device, and when you examine it you find out that it uses a six dimensional coordinate system and, without knowing how to set the coordinates, it's unusable. Shon was abducted and taken to the examination room while looking at this device, which suggests that it is the abduction device used by the Solanagen aliens.

The interior space that the FE takes place in is apparently something built by the "Solanae" race. But... this may or may not be the same race as the Solanagen aliens.

The Solanae were a servant race of the Iconians but later rebelled. (this is not seen in the FE, but comes from one of the consoles in the ground battle zone.) The Solanae also designed and built the Obelisk Carrier.

Or were you talking about the Voth side of the story? I'm still working on collecting that side.

Sorry Mark, but this kind of reads like random trivia, not something resembling a coherent story. I give you props for trying to sort it out, but it's not really saying anything. I don't see a plot, especially in relation to most of season 8 post Sphere of Influence stuff. Please update me with more information about the reputation cutscenes, since I won't be doing them.

How does the Dyson sphere and the Voth advance the plot of sphere of influence? If you were pitiching season 8 as a continuation of the overall story, what would that pitch be?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    abfabfleet wrote: »
    From an Ensign=Free Player... really impressive. Yeah, I said it.

Or just doesnt post much/ new join of the forum. I was on the game a year before i actually signed up for the forum.

But if a new person can see that people are whiner babies and never happy, then us jaded old people should have already jumped on that band wagon......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Or just doesnt post much/ new join of the forum. I was on the game a year before i actually signed up for the forum.

But if a new person can see that people are whiner babies and never happy, then us jaded old people should have already jumped on that band wagon......

People who are actively enjoying STO generally spend time playing the game they enjoy, and don't post often on the forums.

People who don't play the game because they hate it spend time on the forums complaining about it.

Then there are people who like me who like posting on the forums during his downtime while playing the game to introduce reality and facts into the threads as a public service.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why is the Federation so TRIBBLE?

What happened to the diplomatic option? Have any peace delegations tried to open up talks with the Voth and say "please stop harvesting the particle that could ruin everything"? But no. The Federation is all about "Shoot first, don't even bother asking questions". Because the guys making the decisions at Cryptic know that "kill everything" is what sells, except that Trek is about the opposite of "kill everything".

How arrogant is the Federation to go to the other side of the galaxy to impose its will on another sovereign power while having such limited knowledge of what we're dealing with? Maybe the Voth have millions of years of experience with harvesting and using Omega particles? They can build ships the size of small moons. They take centuries to perfect technology before using it. They don't take crazy risks. So maybe they know what the hell they're doing.

Maybe we should ask them! They might be harvesting Omega to fight the Iconians. Maybe if Cryptic thought of creating gameplay other than "fly around and shoot the big dumb object and get a reward", this would feel like Star Trek and not "Generic space action MMO: now with space T-Rexes!".
    Learn to use the eidt button instead of double posting.

The Federation shooting first that is at 23rd century Kirks time not Picard who changed all that.Sisko shot first himself why becasue him and Kirk are both Tac.s unlike Janeway and Picard beinf Science.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited November 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    People who are actively enjoying STO generally spend time playing the game they enjoy, and don't post often on the forums.

People who don't play the game because they hate it spend time on the forums complaining about it.

Then there are people who like me who like posting on the forums during his downtime while playing the game to introduce reality and facts into the threads as a public service.

Thats what i do essentially. I was looking for info so signed up so i could reply and ask questions.

When i play i play, when i cant play i troll the forums (and thats troll as in search[fishing term] not troll as in grief)

I try not to complain to much, minus bugs and the like, and to focus on things i like and enjoy. Excpet for ship layouts those i love to B****h about :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013

Been there done that. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • blitzpigblitzpig Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I rarely post here, but it just seems to me that the Devs have absolutely no plot outline at all to work off of.

They jump from one "plot" area to another in a totally disjointed way, with no continuity bridges to make any of it believable. In example I will use the original Romulan story arc...

And let me state that the Romulan story line, from the beginning, was IMHO, the best thought out, and most absorbing one in the history of this title...

So, I was totally invested in it, loved the missions, etc... then... Sorry, off to DS9 with you, we are done here.

Huh?

It was like having the floor fall out from under you. And every new season since has been the same way. This isn't Star Trek, it's Short Attention Span Theatre, with pew pew guns.

There is enough fodder in any of the original story lines, be it Fed vs. Klingons, the Romulans, the whole DS9 can of worms, that you could pick ONE of them and develop it out for years. But no, they have to skip all over the place, yanking us around with them on their A.D.D. romp through the universe.

It's sad really.
    edited November 2013
    Fits in with the times. This is definitely the ADHD generation and the content is center around that. I agree with you that Rom mission arc was the most cohesive though it too had some major issue like why exactly would the Tal Shiar help the Iconians blow up Romulus.

Sad to say it is all about the bling now (shiny lock boxes, consoles and holdings) and not substance. Maybe they will throw us a few more bones now that Dorn has recorded some lines.
    blitzpig wrote: »
    I rarely post here, but it just seems to me that the Devs have absolutely no plot outline at all to work off of.

They jump from one "plot" area to another in a totally disjointed way, with no continuity bridges to make any of it believable. In example I will use the original Romulan story arc...

And let me state that the Romulan story line, from the beginning, was IMHO, the best thought out, and most absorbing one in the history of this title...

So, I was totally invested in it, loved the missions, etc... then... Sorry, off to DS9 with you, we are done here.

Huh?

It was like having the floor fall out from under you. And every new season since has been the same way. This isn't Star Trek, it's Short Attention Span Theatre, with pew pew guns.

There is enough fodder in any of the original story lines, be it Fed vs. Klingons, the Romulans, the whole DS9 can of worms, that you could pick ONE of them and develop it out for years. But no, they have to skip all over the place, yanking us around with them on their A.D.D. romp through the universe.

It's sad really.

- Judge Aaron Satie