test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #6

Comments

• dinoyipidinoyipi Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    illcadia wrote: »
    Please tell me there's a mission where you play as some sort of raptor that you hack with nanotech (sort of like all those 'play as enemy ship X' missions, but on the ground), and get to fly around with a jet pack and shoot stuff?

Pretty please?

Show of hands, who knows what I'm talking about?
    *raises hand*

Nanosaur.
    For personal reasons, I've left Star Trek Online.
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Whilst I have some concerns/doubts (it does seem a bit jumpy sharky), I am willing to give this season a chance.

The Voth are actually one of the more credible opponents due to their huge tech/age advantage. If they are well designed, and are done in a way that 'makes Trek sense' (ie: is credible and not overly outlandish) then they could be a fun and interesting opponent.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • eliotleliotl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is unfortunatly not star trek. Dinosaurs with laser beams? We are going backwards. Anyway the Voth or prehistoric species evolved to become humanoids, standing on two legs with arms, and they are bringing in prehistoric creatures with laser beams... Waste of money and time PWE.
  • kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    eliotl wrote: »
    This is unfortunatly not star trek. Dinosaurs with laser beams? We are going backwards. Anyway the Voth or prehistoric species evolved to become humanoids, standing on two legs with arms, and they are bringing in prehistoric creatures with laser beams... Waste of money and time PWE.

Yeah well, no matter what ANYONE says in here, you can bet they will ignore us all. And put it into game anyway. Because we do not matter, all that matters is the smell of that dirty cash going into their banks...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have to say it bluntly, i hate the idea. Trek was about exploration, space battles and moral discussion where you learnt something new everyday, the joy was in understanding and striving for a greater cause while trying to get away from the negative side in all of us.
    Sure it sounds a bit dull but thats what made trick big. Sci fi effects and moral plays in a starship.

This is absolutly right, but it' not all that Star Trek was. It was about exploration, but not just exploration of space in a space ship, but an exploration of ourselves, and trying to expand past our puny little selves and try and see things in a different light. Some of it was morality, a very good portion of it was morality as you said, but another portion of it was just trying to get past the mundane into something greater.

It's why Gene Roddenberry said in interviews he did some of his craziest things, to try and get us past the mundane. I'm sure when Gene pitched the idea for some of the creatures and ideas he pitched, he got the same negative response "This is stupid, this isn't Sci Fi, this will never work, I'm never going to watch your show."

Decades later his craziest most memorable ideas are the ones we remember the most, along side some of his most memorable moral choices. Gene was a visionary, he saw that "silly" and "stupid" made great Star Trek, and he went with it, and decades later we're playing a game that is celebrating his vision.

So call Dinosaurs with Lasers stupid. Call it "not Star Trek", because honestly I think if Gene had thought of it, he'd have gone with it, and loved it, and we'd be celebrating it today in STO.
  • zebramaniiizebramaniii Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It seems a lot of people cannot get past the dinosaurs with lasers part but if you read the dev blog it says the Viriosaurus Rex is best approached in a group which leads me to believe that it will be a hard mission that requires 3-5 players similar to how you fight the assimilated gorn in the deferi invasion zone, this says to me that it is probably not going to be a commonly occurring enemy otherwise it would lose its wow factor. The smaller raptor dinosaurs will probably be more common but we really don't know how many dinosaurs there will be, whether they are common or just specific to certain parts of the story/missions.

Personally I'm hoping that we don't just roll through and kill everything as is typical with this game. I would like missions that allow us to explore different areas of the sphere, solve problems that require some thought in order to advance and maybe and have some actual interactions with the Voth before we ultimately have to fight them. Perhaps even tying some missions into our commendation levels similar to how the diplomacy skill is used in certain missions in the featured episodes.

What I would like to know is where in the Delta Quadrant this sphere is supposed to be. Personally I would like it to be near the Talaxian homeworld as nothing would be better than having a Talaxian bridge officer like Neelix. They could even release his outfit in the cstore.

Also a Voyager pack would be a cool idea like they did with the DS9 pack - It could include a replica of Voyager's bridge, some of its interiors, Neelix and Kes's outfits along with the jacket Torres wore for a while and they could include the class2/type 9 shuttle and the compression phaser rifle. Klingons could just get the Neelix & Kes outfits and the rifle. They could also add in a few delta quadrant duty officers as well to sweeten the deal.
    ***Sausages for All***
    Federation - Mirel II, Tala Lyleh sh'Ezlem, Vro'kul, Jahrel, Giweatu, Jhrol th'Ezlem, Katariina Rebane, Eleftheria Palaiologou, Surel, Saimon, TheEfficientSaurian
    KDF -Mirel I, Anirez Norai, Talash
    Romulans - T'Lara, Makath 'The Needle' Ayailat, Mirel III
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    ficr wrote: »
    I also wondered what happened to this poll that the Krenim won. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=835111

That poll is not related to this Season, nor was the poll before it asking which series players wanted to see more of. The Voth were revealed at STLV earlier in August, before that poll, and have been in development well before that.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That poll is not related to this Season, nor was the poll before it asking which series players wanted to see more of. The Voth were revealed at STLV earlier in August, before that poll, and have been in development well before that.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

...not to talk about the poll before that poll... u know the one which said pvp on 3rd place (1 and 2 we got, thx 4 that ;))... :rolleyes:
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    fireseeed wrote: »
    Kirk never actually shag anyone in the show, sure he kissed a couple of birds but never shag.

Go rewatch the TOS episode: Wink Of An Eye and pay close attention to the scene in Kirk's quarters where Deela is twirling her hair, and Kirk is putting his boots back on. :eek:;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Kazon, Viidian, Krenim, Malon, Devore and Hierarchy...

Yep, I believe BranFlakes when he says this was planned before that poll - good reason why the Voth aren't listed as a choice if they were already decided on...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    None of us ever expected Season 8: Jurassic Park
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    First Officer: Captain, did you have to bring back a dinosaur from the Delta Sphere?

Captain(smirks and pats the neck of a velociraptor-like creature): It's our new 'Diplomatic Officer', Number One. Anyone complains about how I handle diplomatic missions, it can eat them.

First Officer: Why do I just know this thing isn't ship-broken?

Captain: Consider it a new punishment duty for wayward junior officers.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'll be happy if I get to ride on of the T-Rex's and pull off a STO version of Harry Dresden's Crowners of Crowners! That seriously should be an accolade. "Riding Sue to the Rescue!"

Also, when do we get to emulate Cordelia's Shopping Trip on the Klingon side?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Most scientists currently think that the dinosaurs (and hence the voth) were warm blooded, not cold blooded.

The Voth used "warm bloods" as insult, though.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    First Officer: Captain, did you have to bring back a dinosaur from the Delta Sphere?

Captain(smirks and pats the neck of a velociraptor-like creature): It's our new 'Diplomatic Officer', Number One. Anyone complains about how I handle diplomatic missions, it can eat them.

First Officer: Why do I just know this thing isn't ship-broken?

Captain: Consider it a new punishment duty for wayward junior officers.

Y'know when I hear someone say "Klingon Raptor decloaking", I'll have to make doubly sure which one they're talking about from now on. :P
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Y'know when I hear someone say "Klingon Raptor decloaking", I'll have to make doubly sure which one they're talking about from now on. :P

LOL could be a betazoid female wearing an evening gown and a minigun and a sword riding on a raptor.
  • gojoredgojored Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    we are gonna get our butts handed to us. I hope we (players, all races) can come up with better armor/shields/weaps, ships and tactics than we currently own, it literally sounds like players will seem like little kids using spit wads from straws and insults whilst wearing little girlie frocks against giant battle hardened techno-juggernaughts.:eek:
    [SIGPIC]tritrophic mutualism: we get a viable game experience, and perfect worlds new ai "ARC" dines on our zen[/SIGPIC]
  • syndonaisyndonai Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I hope all this new dino content means there'll be a good twist on the winter event's race.

Raptors on Ice.
    PKsymbol.JPG

Peacekeeper High Command
    Scorpius - Zelbinion Mk II
  • purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Two things come to mind.

1) My Fed captain wants a Plith hat for his safari. (I've asked for Plith hat before you know)..

2) My Gorn wants to get in to a biting competition.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinosaurs with frickin' phaser beams on their heads?

Cryptic is jumping the shark. What's next? Star trek online action figures?

A little Admiral Quinn with kung fu grip?

B'vat with a doomsday device playset?

And to keep with the traditional meme, orders on the Sulu doll will be intentionally mailed 6 months after ordered so people can call customer support and ask "Where's Sulu?"? :rolleyes:
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So I'm looking at this from a federation point of view and I have to wonder, Romulans being added to the space combat severely distorted the gameplay on characters that were there prior to these types of expansions. There are alot of things left out like how the federation and klingons would have adapted themselves to use a synergy in space combat similar to the powers of the Romulan's use of singularity skills on ships that are simply not in the game. They would have adapted like they did for all other enemies including the borg.

When this goes live what will be done on the ground adaptations of the federation, romulans, and klingons to allow for their own synergies in combat? What will be improved upon for those races as they adapt to Voth style ground and space combats?!

Am I the only one seeing how in each new update more and more is broken in the old content?
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited October 2013

And to keep with the traditional meme, orders on the Sulu doll will be intentionally mailed 6 months after ordered so people can call customer support and ask "Where's Sulu?"? :rolleyes:

These exists now. So why not STO action figures?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited October 2013

"Jumping the shark" is definitely going to be this month's most overused phrase by the few I've seen use it so far, would have been slightly wittier to instead say "jumping the velociraptor," I feel.

Also, yes to the rest, please =P
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've always tried my best to have a constructive outlook on anything new that is added to a game. But this is becoming very difficult with Cryptic. You ask for in-depth content and exploration and we get:

1. New ships with more firepower
    2. New reputation for repetitive grind
    3. New fleet holdings for repetitive grind
    4. Dinosaurs with lasers on their head in power armor
    5. Halo inspired Mechs

It's very sickening when you think how much potential Star Trek Online has and how it feels this potential is being thrown to one side. I love Star Trek, and it feels that STO is getting further away from what Star Trek means.

You say these are genetically engineered. The Voth were insulted by the fact that Janeway was trying to explain that they were related to Dinosaurs on Earth. So why would the Voth engineer a species to be identical to those Dinosaurs. Also, why would they engineer those species with the exact same disadvantages that they originally had.

Surely, they would have given the T-Rex 4 legs instead of 2 legs and 2 short useless arms. It's amazing how much a little forward thinking can achieve, when you get off the LSD and apply yourself.

I don't mind reptilian type creatures that are maybe native from their home world. But to have something identical and on top of that in power armor with lasers on their head, that is another thing.

True, 'this is a game so let's have some fun'. But the problem Cryptic seem to have is that this is Star Trek. It gives the impression that people like Geko, know nothing about Star Trek.

Star Citizen has been mentioned in the past. I'll mention it again. Star Trek Online is becoming a glorified Facebook game. The exploration, diplomacy, the unknown and an ever changing universe where you are boldly exploring the final frontier, with true immersion (a lot of which we had been promised a long time ago by Cryptic), this is being offered in Star Citizen.

Now I know about engine limitations, but that does not stop creative thinking. I can only hope that the people at Cryptic put their thinking caps on and fully utilize what the Star Trek universe has to offer. I will save final judgement until Season 8 is released, but as of right now, I'm not impressed and a lot of my friends and fleet members are not either. One friend has already uninstalled STO over this.

I want Star Trek Online to be the best Star Trek / Space game out there. At the same time, the chances of this are very slim. Just because this is the only place that offers an online Star Trek fix, doesn't mean you can dish out this kind of "content".
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Actually, what the Voth were resisting was the fact their species was native to the Alpha Quadrant and not the Delta Quadrant as Doctrine stated.

They've never indicated that living creatures are inadequate because they come from this planet or that planet.

However, they do have their own set of issues with superiority complexes, but that mostly revolves around native species status and reptilian origins.

Also, the Voth in general don't believe they are from the Alpha Quadrant, so they most likely believe their Dinosaurs are not Alpha Quadrant species as well.

Or alterternatively, they could have found Delta Quadrant Dinosaurs somewhere and adapted them instead.

Ironically, that Voyager episode has a massive plothole.
    Dinosaurs are not reptiles!

They're distantly related, but they're a completely seperate species, one that has no analog in modern times.

The most obvious flaw is when they refer to themselves as cold blooded, but Dinosaurs (like mammals) have warm blood.

That is a known fact by the way, they found a rare fossil which showed Dinosaurs had the circulatory system of a mammal, not a reptile.
    The heart of a cold blooded organism is different to that of a warm blooded one.

And since the Voth are humanoid Dinosaurs........

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Actually, what the Voth were resisting was the fact their species was native to the Alpha Quadrant and not the Delta Quadrant as Doctrine stated.

They've never indicated that living creatures are inadequate because they come from this planet or that planet.

I completely agree with what you said. I should have maybe been a little more detailed, but either way they weren't too happy about being related to something from the Alpha quadrant which completely re-writes their history and their origins.

Reptiles are distant relatives, but my main issue is the fact that we got giant dinosaurs identical to the ones from Earth roaming around with power armor and lasers on their head.

Plot holes are always fun lol. It just seems though, Cryptic like to create a lot of holes in their game. It'd be nice if they spent a little more time on R&D than rushing out something that could be so much better.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!

For as long as you put in vaporization animations on the Dinosaurs, I'll get over it possibly.

(Someone forgot to make one for the Mugato in Colony Invasion....)
  • prod1701prod1701 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All I have to say is that the Dev team has no clue what Start Trek should be!! This proves it to me that they think dino's TRex and ect is fun. Ok I can give them that sounds like fun. BUT!!! it is not Star Trek it looks like the Dev team missed the mark again and put a haloisk feel to the power armor. I honestly I dont care why the Dev team thinks of reasons why a Trex works but its BS. This is what I dont understand is why the Dev Team have not been CANED!!!! But we as the players dont do anything about this. How about for one week no one buys anything from the zen store and then lets see how long the Dev team keeps there jobs. Not long as this is a free to play game now they only care about the money they will make so lets as a whole take that away from them like they have taken Star Trek away from us. Just a thought and Dev team why use the duty officer missions for some new ideas. Oh that right that would be to easy and more like star trek.Not something you can make money off of but something for us the players.
    Any ways Dev team Star Citizen is coming and when your bosses see how many people you lose to Star Citizen I hope they kiss you buts to the curb and find someone better then you!!!!
    Thanks for taking STO and turning it into a Facebook game!!:D
  • d3fk0nd3fk0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinosaurs on a spaceship
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Section 31
    [Joseph Steel] [Jennifer Steel] [Dredd Steel] [Kenzi Steel] [Shira Steel] [Eris Steel] [Artemis Steel] [Stardragon] [Delta] [Alexandria Rose] [Number Six] [K'emb'ah Steel] [Karnak Steel] [Kacy Steel] [Venom Steel] [Areli Steel]