test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TRIBBLE Maintenance and Release Notes - October 11, 2013

Comments

• lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Fleet Vet Ships are 1 Fleet Ship Module - if you're eligible for the ship, you've functionally "bought the C-Store ship" already.
    Outstanding! That's great new Adjudicatorhawk.

You just sold another Fleet Ship Module (for my toon currently using the Peghqu').

...You know... If/when my fleet ever finishes their fleet holdings. :o

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Fleet Vet Ships are 1 Fleet Ship Module - if you're eligible for the ship, you've functionally "bought the C-Store ship" already.

When will we get to see these new Fleet 1K Day Vet Ship's stats? I'm very interested.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013

That is great news. I was honestly expecting the worst (5 modules) since, in reality you don't buy the Vet ships you earn them. but the fact that you take the Legendary membership needed to earn the ship as "paying" for it is great to hear, and makes these fleet ships very appealing.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    as someone with a vet ship, i wouldn't have a problem at this point with the fleet vet ship being available to everyone for 5 mods or whatever. the people that get it still would not get its special transformation console, theirs would be forever stuck untransformed. the console is enough of a vet premium in my opinion.

also, to make things more interesting, the extra console the vet ships get should play out like this

fed- +1 sci
    kdf- +1 tac
    rom- +1 eng
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    icegavel wrote: »
    When will we get to see these new Fleet 1K Day Vet Ship's stats? I'm very interested.

Take your current Veteran Ship and add...

- 1 console
    - 10% Hull
    - 10% Shields

Done. The only thing that's really up in the air, is which type of console is added (Engineer, Tactical, Science). Most likely an additional Science console.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Only problem is if they are as they are on tribble isn't worth much of anything much less a fleet ship module.
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    General comment:

There are a couple things that make the new rep easier/more painless that you're not seeing yet.

1.) You don't have to choose between making progress in the rep and buying items you've unlocked from the rep - you can do both concurrently.
    2.) In other reps, each tier of Rep increases the number of marks (and other inputs) required. In this rep, the project inputs are static across all tiers. This makes the Rep feel significantly less grindy as you get up to tier 3, 4, and 5.
    3.) We have something coming to make Reps more alt-friendly. Even without that, though, if we were to port the Dyson rep system to the other reps, your "average hour of playtime" would have a much easier time making meaningful progress on all reps than the current live system.
    4.) We're listening to all of your feedback and look forward to getting more hands-on experience as more of you get a chance to actually play the rep on Tribble.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    3.) We have something coming to make Reps more alt-friendly. Even without that, though, if we were to port the Dyson rep system to the other reps, your "average hour of playtime" would have a much easier time making meaningful progress on all reps than the current live system.

Regardless for the plans to make Reps "alt-friendly", i'd love to see the existing Reputations revamped according to Dyson standards. Not having to input increasing amounts of items per tier is one major improvement. Another being that you get useful items from the get-go, AND a reward box for the XP projects. What's not to like?

I'd like to see all Reps revamped alongside adding the new one, rather than waiting months and months before they get revamped.
    edited October 2013
    with the spire fleet projects set with a 20hr instead like it was before the last patch it will take months to get max. by time you hit the higher tiers it be on holodeck. nice so much for testing any of the fleet spire stuff.

We'll be lowering the timers for testing and adding a test store for Holding/Rep gear in a coming Tribble patch.
  • ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I played around with Tribble a bit over the weekend and did some math (along the lines of what ikuruyo posted above), and I have the following thoughts on the new Rep:

Earning only one Commendation per day is awful. You're already time-gating us with the 20hr project, there's no need to also time-gate us on getting the resource needed to run the project. If you feel double-time-gating really is necessary, at least allow us to earn a Commendation once per hour or two. That way weekend warriors have the possibility to stock up for the coming week's Rep inputs.

Earning only 200 Rep XP on the "small project" is bad. Sure it completes in an hour, but it overall will take more Marks and more time in-game to get 800 Rep XP. Meaning, most players, myself included, are only going to be able to earn 2200 Rep XP per day.

Most players are highly unlikely to get ahead. Having the "small project" finish in 1hr offers the possible advantage of earning more than 800 Rep XP per day (if we play for 5+hrs), but for most players like myself, that's unlikely to happen but maybe once or twice a week, and even then it's not going to be enough to offset the loss of 800-per day Rep, much less actually get ahead.

There is far less "Slider-Grind" in this Rep. Having fewer inputs and taking EC directly (instead of having to shop for commodities and ground consumables) really reduced a lot of the mindless clicky/slider button-pushing. This is great! Thanks for this. I really can't wait for this to be retro-fitted back to the other Reps.

Getting a reward box at the start of the Rep is groovy. I'm not sure how useable these items will be, honestly, but it's interesting. That's for sure. And I kind of like the "lottery" feeling of opening a box and maybe there's something good inside. So far all I've got is vendor trash, but it helps pay the EC needed for the Rep, so even that's not bad. I always like free. It would be good if there were some really good chase-prizes in those boxes (maybe you could post a list of possible prizes?).

Others have brought this up, and I wonder the answer... How many (if any) Fleet Modules are going to be required to get the Fleet Veteran ships? For all the money paid into the game to unlock the standard Vet Ships, I honestly think the cost should be restricted to just Fleet EC (even if it's 200k). Maybe add 1 Fleet Module as well... I'd be ok with that, but I'm against the cost being 4-5 Fleet modules.

I'd also like to weigh-in that I'm unhappy with Fleet ships being locked behind another holding. They should be in the Fleet Starbase. T5 is fine, but keep them in the existing Shipyards.

My 6th or 7th tier0 box had a Voth Cybernetic Implant in it. The ones that are equivalant to the BNP. That was a nice surpise.

Completed tier 0 just now. Tier up project requires 10 Dysen Marks and takes 5s, down from 15m for current reps. Store unlocks for free as soon as the tier up project completes and is filled with purple mk XII sci consoles of types similar to the blue mk xii we were getting in the tier0 boxes.

2 new item projects were also unlocked MK XII purple Dyson combat armor (set item) with the notable ability of giving moderate damage reduction to damage taken from the front while in a crouch. And a console which is part of a space set. Console grants +3 weapon and engine power +17.3 electro-plasma system and +13.1% proton weapon damage. These projects required marks, Implants, dilithium and EC. No commodities of any kind. Costs seemed reasonable, 250 marks + 5 Implants for armor, 300 marks + 2 Implants for the console. Console mentions a gravitational proton torp and experimental proton weapon. Will be interesting to see what is higher.

The new Tier 1 level up projects are identical to the Tier 0 level up projects, requiring the same amounts of all items. Assuming that holds and looking at the graph of requirments for a current rep it looks like if you continued the trend of trying to get 2800xp per day it will cost a total of 1612 marks vs 1526 marks for current ones, an increase of 86 marks.

Once more, being able to log in enough times during the week to keep the projects ticking that often is unlikely for the majority of players and it will result in a slowing of progress instead of keeping even with the current rate of maxing a reputation, nevermind completing it faster if you play more. And since the stated purpose was to reduce all the annoying bits and give people a chance to get ahead if they play a lot, I'm afraid you are failing at this objective.

If the exp granted by the 1hr project was doubled it might work, managing to log in 2 times or starting a project when you log in and one just before logging out might allow you to keep even with the old progress rate with the chance to pull ahead on the weekends. Mark costs might still need to be adjusted though. Currently the costs start low and by the time the costs are higher you have experience with the maps and probably have better gear. If the xp was doubled it would mean that you need 20 marks for the 800xp, which is about 1 of the pve queue missions, which is about what it takes with the current system at lower tiers for all reputations.

It would still be nice to have more rep xp project options, ones with longer time frames that require more resources. The ultimate would be to have projects that take 5 days and required 5x Token + 200 marks + 5x expertise and EC. This would allow the people that only can log in during the weekend to slot them an forget them, they would be really happy about that. It should probably grant less xp then if you had done it every day but would allow people that could not play for a set period a chance to progress. I know you want people to be constantly logging in but that is not always reasonable for most and the current system makes progress a hopeless prospect to newer players.

[*sigh* rambled on for a long post again...]

EDIT: Ninja'd on the costs staying static. Although the math still shows it will end up being more marks total.
    edited October 2013
    Make it fun devs. Make the gear gain easier. Make the content more varied and interesting I know, these objectives are harder than upping the power of the enemies and upping the strength of gear. But I think it will be more rewarding for the game in the long run.

This is our goal - this is everything we've been talking about for months. The rewards from reps are great - the current gameplay of slogging through buying commodities and getting expertise and doing multiple events for enough marks to kick off a project at high tiers of rep is suboptimal. Our goal is for you to be able to play the game, play the new content, and get good stuff from it. We have some tuning to do and some playstyles to better-accommodate, but I really do think you guys will find what we have in Season 8 is a step up from our older reps in terms of flexibility and in terms of the rep journey itself, not just the destination, feeling worthwhile.
  • ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is our goal - this is everything we've been talking about for months. The rewards from reps are great - the current gameplay of slogging through buying commodities and getting expertise and doing multiple events for enough marks to kick off a project at high tiers of rep is suboptimal. Our goal is for you to be able to play the game, play the new content, and get good stuff from it. We have some tuning to do and some playstyles to better-accommodate, but I really do think you guys will find what we have in Season 8 is a step up from our older reps in terms of flexibility and in terms of the rep journey itself, not just the destination, feeling worthwhile.

Will this philosophy be taken for future fleet holdings?
    edited October 2013
    Since you are making ajustments, do you think it would be possible to split up the upgrade section of the projects into the ones granting dilithum and the tier up ones? I have to carefully read them to make sure I"m not slotting a 500 dilithum for 50 mark one when I want to level up. Its really bad for Nukara Rep that has all of those gear turn ins in its list. Nukara should really be split into "Dilithium Turn-in", "Gear Turn-in", and "Teir increase" catagories.
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I'm genuinely curious, how exactly do you believe only allowing us one commendation per day will aid in this quest?:confused:

It seems both unrealistic and illogical at this point to do so, at least from my perspective. As far as I can tell, this would be like saying, "You can kill as many Borg as you want each day, but only the first one you kill that day counts," which, quite frankly, doesn't make sense to me.

If I'm grossly misunderstanding this, please, by all means correct me.:)
    2iBFtmg.png
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    druhin wrote: »
    Take your current Veteran Ship and add...

- 1 console
    - 10% Hull
    - 10% Shields

Done. The only thing that's really up in the air, is which type of console is added (Engineer, Tactical, Science). Most likely an additional Science console.

you could see the new fleet ships in any ship store on tribble. vet ships all have 1 extra eng console
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So I understand the reason why you added things that cost tons of Expertise: Old characters have too much of it.

What if you provided a project in each reputation to turn in Expertise for Marks? Or how about added a general way to turn Expertise into other things (EC, Dilithium, etc).
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    General comment:

There are a couple things that make the new rep easier/more painless that you're not seeing yet.

1.) You don't have to choose between making progress in the rep and buying items you've unlocked from the rep - you can do both concurrently.
    2.) In other reps, each tier of Rep increases the number of marks (and other inputs) required. In this rep, the project inputs are static across all tiers. This makes the Rep feel significantly less grindy as you get up to tier 3, 4, and 5.
    4.) We're listening to all of your feedback and look forward to getting more hands-on experience as more of you get a chance to actually play the rep on Tribble.

It looks like some of this is a really good move.

Could you explain why there is no stockpiling for the 2k project? It feels unnecessarily controlling for those of us that play heavy on weekends or what not, but can't dedicate more than a few minutes in the morning on work days. I haven't seen the reasoning why we can't be allowed to stockpile for the 2k project in the new system.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Devs if you are listening, I currently have 7 toons fully t5 rep and it was brutal getting them there. I was praying and hoping that there was going to be a great change to the rep system that my new 5 toons (2 fedroms and 3kdfroms) would get to have their reps done as well. As I see it how can you possibly think I would want to run a CC type event over and over for 12 toons for over a month straight? What about switching characters constantly (adding server load) trying to do the 1hr rep project? Do you think that is really alt friendly???? I honestly was hoping for an account wide reputation experience gain system (however small) where I could potentially rep out my entire account but it doesn't look like that is happening. Also, it looks like your making the rep harder for alt heavy accounts because the days I could play more I cant stockpile commendations so I will just have to skip doing the rep some days. That will mean the reputation system will take longer than before.
    edited October 2013
    I know it would probably clutter up the tooltip for the weapons but should the new proton damage do extra to Devidians? At least when they are phased...

Going to have to hunt in the new content and see if I can find any NPCs mentioning a "Full Protonic Reversal" when we gain access to the new areas.
    edited October 2013
    Devs if you are listening, I currently have 7 toons fully t5 rep and it was brutal getting them there. I was praying and hoping that there was going to be a great change to the rep system that my new 5 toons (2 fedroms and 3kdfroms) would get to have their reps done as well. As I see it how can you possibly think I would want to run a CC type event over and over for 12 toons for over a month straight? What about switching characters constantly (adding server load) trying to do the 1hr rep project? Do you think that is really alt friendly???? I honestly was hoping for an account wide reputation experience gain system (however small) where I could potentially rep out my entire account but it doesn't look like that is happening. Also, it looks like your making the rep harder for alt heavy accounts because the days I could play more I cant stockpile commendations so I will just have to skip doing the rep some days. That will mean the reputation system will take longer than before.

They said the alt rep help is in the works. No details yet though. I have hope that it will be very much substantial, anything less than 50% would be meaningless, or perhaps a scaling [edit: system based on number of T5 reps complete] Really when you look at the new time frame for the Dyson rep of 2-3 projects per week it will take a long time to get 100k. I really need it to be cross faction too, I focused on my feds, and they are done, my kdf were sacrificed early on and have not yet caught up.

The no details part concerns me and lack of accountability in the past make it a "believe it when i see it" kind of thing. Not against the devs themselves, I think they are good folks. It just feels like our left hand got cut free but our right hand got tied down in its place, and i get the feeling it is a suit in a corner office that has the rope.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    General comment:

Question ... Will the fleet tier advancement in this holding be as friendly as what you describe for the individual rep?
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • darkusbrightstardarkusbrightstar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We'll be lowering the timers for testing and adding a test store for Holding/Rep gear in a coming Tribble patch.

thanks for the info :) be waiting for the patch
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It would be beyond awesome if enemy mobs we killed granted a tiny amount of rep.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    It would be beyond awesome if enemy mobs we killed granted a tiny amount of rep.

They do but is in 10^-5 range. Takes a while to show up!
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Times must be bad at Cryptic because this hype isn't even hyping me up at all.

I seriously hope whats been told isn't the majority of season 8 because it would be a real upset. Where it comes to the alts issue its going to actually be something designed well to where people will feel comfortable making alts and playing the ones they do have. Something tells me this % decrease will be something like 1% less of a grind per toon so you'll have to max out like 50-100 characters before it ever makes a difference.

On the KDF issue its pretty safe to assume any and all content molds being developed will most likely in the next 6 months will defy the future of the KDF. Although what I've seen on tribble with the fleet ships being added to spire holding it doesn't look promising at all.
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They said the alt rep help is in the works. No details yet though. I have hope that it will be very much substantial, anything less than 50% would be meaningless, or perhaps a scaling [edit: system based on number of T5 reps complete] Really when you look at the new time frame for the Dyson rep of 2-3 projects per week it will take a long time to get 100k. I really need it to be cross faction too, I focused on my feds, and they are done, my kdf were sacrificed early on and have not yet caught up.

The no details part concerns me and lack of accountability in the past make it a "believe it when i see it" kind of thing. Not against the devs themselves, I think they are good folks. It just feels like our left hand got cut free but our right hand got tied down in its place, and i get the feeling it is a suit in a corner office that has the rope.

This is their chance to tell us what is going on. All everyone has to go on is what the rep system currently is and what the patch notes are for tribble. As it stands the rep system is currently NOT alt friendly, hell its not even 3 toon friendly.

i understand the system may not be finalized and things may change therefore maybe cryptic does not want to release information about it. however, we are giving our feedback in this forum about the current rep and how displeased we are with certain things like

1. timegating of the collection of reputation material (dyson commendations)
    2. too much currency (cryptic said it themselves there was too many)
    3. no account wide reputation system unlock
    4. a need for more variety to reputation projects (2k, 800, 200, 400, etc)
    5. a varying degree of marks to dil projects
    I am sure there are more I am missing

hopefully they listen and change it. It is not like there has been overwhelming support for the new reputation system.
    edited October 2013
    This is their chance to tell us what is going on. All everyone has to go on is what the rep system currently is and what the patch notes are for tribble. As it stands the rep system is currently NOT alt friendly, hell its not even 3 toon friendly.

i understand the system may not be finalized and things may change therefore maybe cryptic does not want to release information about it. however, we are giving our feedback in this forum about the current rep and how displeased we are with certain things like

1. timegating of the collection of reputation material (dyson commendations)
    2. too much currency (cryptic said it themselves there was too many)
    3. no account wide reputation system unlock
    4. a need for more variety to reputation projects (2k, 800, 200, 400, etc)
    5. a varying degree of marks to dil projects
    I am sure there are more I am missing

hopefully they listen and change it. It is not like there has been overwhelming support for the new reputation system.

Typically they reply or correct assumptions if they are positive information and avoid the negative. This is in part why the ask a dev thing failed to be meaningful. Since they are active in this thread we can assume they are reading all posts.

Bran or gorn or someone (maybe several) have already spoke of an account wide rep development to help altoholics in previous pages. Of course the significance will be in the details released later. I have stopped all rep since 1 has all complete, but have been building up marks and materials.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So I understand the reason why you added things that cost tons of Expertise: Old characters have too much of it.

What if you provided a project in each reputation to turn in Expertise for Marks? Or how about added a general way to turn Expertise into other things (EC, Dilithium, etc).

I really like this idea.

Or even an Expertise into Latinum dump if Latinum tasks could be added.

Heck! Howabout Expertise-> a store for BOs, DOs, and variants on the Odyssey uniform (unzipped, pushed up sleeves, labcoat, tool vest, etc.)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Another thought being:

Merge commendation categories and rep.

So DOffs could be used as direct rep sources. But all ship operation 20 hour rep projects (including store/consumables) would just use straight expertise as an input. (So if you want, DOffing boosts your rate of rep gain. And if you don't want to DOff, you blow two million expertise per current commendation category over 20 days to max a commendation category without DOffing.)
    edited October 2013
    I think the Commendation Tokens should stack and get one w/each mission completed, otherwise it's more time gating. You could of used these to turn in for equip/dil instead of making up VNP's (or whatever they're called).

Commendation tokens are not an item in your inventory, they go into the assets tab. The number of marks you have actually only shows up on the reputation page right now.

Only the Voth Cybernetic Nodes use an inventory slot.