test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So I want to recreate the USS Vengeance...

Comments

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    Here's my attempt at a Vengeance look-alike, using both the Avenger and Arbiter. I hope this helps.
    Avenger3_zpseckl00mb.jpg

Thanks :). That does seem to be about the best configuration using the Arbiter/Avenger rig. The shape of the lower hull its good, but the saucer section is a little on the thick side and unfortunately the Vengeance has really distinctive engines. If they'd offer another ship or two with this rig to mix and match parts with things could get pretty close :).
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Closest I ever got to recreating the Vengeance, was using various parts from the Command Battlecruisers and the upgrade skin to give it the dark look.

Any good screen caps? I suspect the Command Battlecruiser rig can be used to make something nice looking :).

I was holding off on doing more experiments until I got the Romulan Shields but that turned out to be a lot greener than I expected. Apparently the effect it has on the Tarantula that made me think it might be useful is different/more elaborate than it applies to most hulls.

I will get some once I am next in game :)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I will get some once I am next in game :)

Awesome. Thank you :).

The VATA is really nice for theme but I'm willing to give it up for a better match for the overall profile of the ship.

• Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User

if you are looking to create the exact replica, you will want to hold off because in effect you would be copying a ship design you have no right to.

How can you make this a copyright case when you don't even have assets to make a replica?
    with that stated, this thread is pointless.

Your post is pointless

21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    Honestly just ignore the troll. Anyone who has worked themselves into such zealous frenzy that they have a hysterical blindspot blotting out the Hobus supernova, the destruction of Romulus, Red Matter Capacitors, or the Jellyfish, Nero, and the Narada being mentioned by name in the Path to 2409 quizzes is NOT here to conduct a rational argument.

They just want attention as they spew hate. Don't give it to them.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Can the Eclipse carry the VATA and mount cannons (anti-proton for the red look)? If so that would probably be your best option.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    The Eclipse can carry cannons and even dual cannons (making it a "battle cruiser" in my book :)) but it seems the VATA is very exclusive. I did tinker with an Eclipse with Phantom Engines on the lower Nacelles. It's not terrible but I'm still hoping for more :).

Yeah, I figured anti-proton cannons unless there's a reddish phaser variant I don't know about. Even if I do love me some Agony Phasers.

Continuing my research into the Vengeance...

James%20Clyne%20concept%20art%20USS%20Vengeance%20SIG_zpsmzxbckra.jpg

That's one of the unused concept drawings by James Clyne. Not my cup of tea, but I understand the thinking that went into STO's Avenger better.

This was also interesting...

USS%20Vengeance%20Spiney%20SIG%20_zpsjvkd6nam.jpg

You can see some of the proportions and early interest in putting cutouts into the saucer and nacelles, though dropping the masses of easily burned off antennas was probably a good idea on such a 'tanky' ship.

For the KDF fans out there, I also stumbled across this little JJVerse jewel - the Klingon aggressors from the Kobayashi Maru simulation :).

JJKlingon%20Raider_zps8avyp1is.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Continuing my research into the Vengeance...

James%20Clyne%20concept%20art%20USS%20Vengeance%20SIG_zpsmzxbckra.jpg

That's one of the unused concept drawings by James Clyne. Not my cup of tea, but I understand the thinking that went into STO's Avenger better.

I'm not seeing it. I've never seen it. I can find nothing about the Avenger other than tiny little things (armour on the deflector, the black hull) that suggests anything relating to the Dreadnought. Put the fleet pylons on the Avenger and it's clearly real Starfleet's answer to Warship Voyager.

Edit: I do like that concept art though, it looks nicely aggressive and futuristic without the cumbersome angles on the Dreadnought.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    jadz3jadz3 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    To Clarify: Battlcruisers in the STO universe are cruisers capable of equipping Dual (Heavy) Cannons. The Command Battlecruisers can, in fact, equip Dual Cannons and carry the "Battlecruiser" mastery package. When considering the VATA console and it's "can only be equipped on battlecruisers" thing... you have to realize that ONLY the Avenger(Battlecruiser), Fleet Avenger(Fleet Battlecruiser), Arbiter(Battlecruiser T6), and Fleet Avenger T6(Fleet Battlecruiser T6) are considered "Battlecruiser" as in that is their classification. Whereas the command cruisers are "Tactical Command Battlecruiser". "Science Command Battlecruiser", and "Operations Command Battlecruiser". So while they have "Battlecruiser" in their classification... they're not "just battlecruiser".

P.S.: OP, if you do get the Avenger T5, Arbiter T6 and Fleet Battlecruiser T6, you would have a truly powerful cruiser that can equip cannons, the VATA, and have 5 fore 3 aft weapons slots, and 4 tactical consoles. The Arbiter comes with an awesome trait as well, emergency weapons cycle. When you use Emergency Power to Weapons, you gain 20% firing cycle haste and 25% reduced weapons power drain for 30 seconds. If you pair that with Cruiser Command - Weapons Efficiency, that's 50% power cost for firing weapons. These ships may not have the SIZE of the Vengeance but it certainly has the firepower and can get pretty close to the look.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Here are a few pictures of my Vengeance creation, using parts of the Command Cruisers:

OCWwlSt.jpg

UO1VccL.jpg

pWsZhHi.jpg

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    You've got... ((points at green dots)) ...you've got a little Borg stuck in your teeth.

Thank you :). That's pretty much the parts I was thinking from what I could see in ship requisitions windows.

From the top it looks promising. The angles of the pylons are very good. The engineering hull's proving to be a tough act to follow. The Command Battle Cruisers all seem a little on the Excelsior side.

I did just order the Eaglemoss figure (along with their just released Narcine!) so I'll get my fix one way or the other :).
    artan42 wrote: »
    I'm not seeing it. I've never seen it. I can find nothing about the Avenger other than tiny little things (armor on the deflector, the black hull) that suggests anything relating to the Dreadnought.

My guess is the Avenger may have taken some inspiration from Vengeance concept sketches rather than from the version that appeared in the movie (which is presumably off limits). Something about that cigar-shaped engineering hull just reminds me of the Avenger.

I may have just found a picture of the VATA firing. Dose anyone know what the platforms actually look like?
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    That is a pretty nice set of pics you've got there. I wouldn't have thought the command battlecruisers could get close. Considering the overall blockiness of the Vengeance. I have been following this thread with a lot of interest in seeing the final choices you make. I will say it has made me take the Exeter class I have out of mothballs and see just how close I can get it to JJPrise.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    diabolical91diabolical91 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    I still say mine was the closest
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    On using the Avenger and Arbiter, they have deployable holographic armor when in combat (no stat differences, just visual), and take on a bit more of the Vengeance look with things closed up. Unfortunately the left nacelle is bugged and stays open.

With needing to be captured while in combat, thanks to all the effects spam, it's hard to take a picture of the effect, but here's my current closest to Vengeance:
    IiMDdti.jpg

I don't have AP cannons on this char, as this build was made solidly in the beams-are-best era. Dual Cannons and Dual Heavy Cannons also come out of the front on the saucer like the Dual Beam Banks in this pic. Turret fire usually comes out the top center of the saucer, where the Beam Overload from an Omni that's just starting is firing from, and there's a hardpoint on the bottom of the saucer, where the Beam Overload from a regular array is just ending (gotta love stacked [over] procs), that seems to match the one that the Vengeance opens up on the Enterprise on while in warp.
    I still say mine was the closest

Your previous link is broken.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

It's a bit dark ;). But what set visual do you use there? (Anyone else looking forward to visual slots?)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I'd want to say Terran, but the fact that EVERYTHING is dark... I don't honestly know...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'd want to say Terran, but the fact that EVERYTHING is dark... I don't honestly know...
    Maybe it's a combination of effects? Mask Energy Signature also makes your ship "darker".
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I do wonder why the deflector seems completely powered down. That's an interesting effect for any ship :).

Hearing that the Avenger/Arbiter pulls on some extra armor during fights is definitely intriguing and probably lends more credence to the idea that they were inspired by Into Darkness.

There's a lot of good attempts involved on a lot of different rigs. I think I'll pay the 750 zeni to buy an Exeter so I can get some good screenies of what I put together on that frame. In some ways the Vengeance cleaves so closely to the classic Enterprise profile its not surprising that the little ol' Consitution rig can produce something that looks really good.
  • Options
    So just for giggles...

T2 Vengeance!
    T2%20Vengeance_zpsk582cddm.jpg
    That's the Excalibur hull, nacelles and pylons with Exeter neck and saucer. Material 4, both colors set to black, and Corvus decals on all sections

Compared to this image from Ex Astra Scientia~
    Vengeance%20profile%20Ex%20Astris%20Scientia%20SIG_zps7clvczmg.jpg

Yeah, the Vengeance is kind of old school :grin:.
  • Options
    jadz3 wrote: »
    To Clarify: Battlcruisers in the STO universe are cruisers capable of equipping Dual (Heavy) Cannons. The Command Battlecruisers can, in fact, equip Dual Cannons and carry the "Battlecruiser" mastery package. When considering the VATA console and it's "can only be equipped on battlecruisers" thing... you have to realize that ONLY the Avenger(Battlecruiser), Fleet Avenger(Fleet Battlecruiser), Arbiter(Battlecruiser T6), and Fleet Avenger T6(Fleet Battlecruiser T6) are considered "Battlecruiser" as in that is their classification. Whereas the command cruisers are "Tactical Command Battlecruiser". "Science Command Battlecruiser", and "Operations Command Battlecruiser". So while they have "Battlecruiser" in their classification... they're not "just battlecruiser".

Ok, go look at the tool tips for any dual cannons in the game. Here, I'll help.

Dual%20Cannon%20ship%20types_zpsayq76kta.jpg

See the list of ship types the game recognizes? Do you see "Command Battle Cruisers" in that list? No? And yet the Concorde, Geneva, and Presidio can mount dual cannons. Hmm. What possible entry on that list could they be considered that is allowing them to use those weapons...?

Right.

The Arbiter and Avenger consoles are probably working as intended, but the description of "may be equipped on Federation Battle Cruises" is NOT a true statement. There are a number of consoles in game right now that are not working as described. While I'd like to see them made available to as many ships as doesn't blow game balance to bits, I'd settle for their descriptions to be accurate.

• Options
    http://imgur.com/Pm1CLxN
    is with upgraded hull material my previous was just mask energy sig :wink:
  • Options
    It certainly looms well :).
  • Options
    Hearing that the Avenger/Arbiter pulls on some extra armor during fights is definitely intriguing and probably lends more credence to the idea that they were inspired by Into Darkness.

The pre-launch blog for the Avenger (T5) heavily implied that it was this universe's version of the Vengeance, and the stats pretty much lined up with what the U.S.S. Vengeance did on screen. Then, we got in game... and found something the size of Voyager. Going with the canonical listed size, based off the hangar shown, of the JJ-prise, the Vengeance is about the size of an Oddy, and we got this tiny thing. Though, going off what the JJ-prise was supposed to be about the size of the Conny, still shown in the layout of the decks, it'd be closer to a Sovy instead, and Arbiter-Avenger combinations can hit that size.
    http://imgur.com/Pm1CLxN
    is with upgraded hull material my previous was just mask energy sig :wink:

That's pretty good.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Based off the hangar size of the Alt-U Connie? So you're using the estimate that conflicts with the rest of the movie?

Yeah the other size listed makes more sense.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tom61sto wrote: »

The pre-launch blog for the Avenger (T5) heavily implied that it was this universe's version of the Vengeance, and the stats pretty much lined up with what the U.S.S. Vengeance did on screen. Then, we got in game... and found something the size of Voyager. Going with the canonical listed size, based off the hangar shown, of the JJ-prise, the Vengeance is about the size of an Oddy, and we got this tiny thing. Though, going off what the JJ-prise was supposed to be about the size of the Conny, still shown in the layout of the decks, it'd be closer to a Sovy instead, and Arbiter-Avenger combinations can hit that size.

The retractable armour is based on Voyager, just like its shape, just like its size. Black hull and the VATA are the only suggestions of the Dreadnought, everything else is either Voyager or Warship Voyager.

Plus the Dreadnought is about the size of an Excelsior. The AR Constitution is the same size as the PR refit, with only slightly longer nacelles. There is only one single scene in both films to suggest otherwise and that's the one everybody latches onto for some reason.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/post/quote/1213781/Comment_12899657 ? from voyager you mean the ablative armor in episode endgame?
  • Options
    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/post/quote/1213781/Comment_12899657 ? from voyager you mean the ablative armor in episode endgame?

Yes.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options

The retractable armour is based on Voyager, just like its shape, just like its size. Black hull and the VATA are the only suggestions of the Dreadnought, everything else is either Voyager or Warship Voyager.

The Warship Voyager looks mostly like an Intrepid Class Science Vessel, and the Avenger seems quite distinct compared to that.
    latest?cb=20070317102343&path-prefix=en

It is very... blocky, but lacks the protruding parts that were added to the Voyager model for the "Warship" effect.
    Plus the Dreadnought is about the size of an Excelsior. The AR Constitution is the same size as the PR refit, with only slightly longer nacelles. There is only one single scene in both films to suggest otherwise and that's the one everybody latches onto for some reason.​​
    Size is not very important to see similarities to a ship.

In the end, I think the inspiration is clearly more the Vengeance, but also in a way to not be too close to it. THe size is probably less a result of trying to make it different to the Vengeance, though, and more due to its role in the game as a maneuverable battle cruiser. It would seem weird if it was similar in size to the larger Fed Cruisers yet be considerably more maneuverable.
  • Options

The Vengeance had retractable armor for it's deflector dish that closes to a smaller aperture when it drops out of warp. The Avenger hull version of that was a bit derp, with just closing up the gap around the glowing part and the gray hull, not making it very noticeable. I'm not sure if the Arbiter even has anything close on the deflector.

I can kinda see the Voyager-ness, but all that is flat pylons for the fleet Avenger. The fins are in the complete wrong place for Warship Voyager, and there's no external Phaser hardpoints shaped like Phaser rifles sticking out on top.
  • Options
    http://imgur.com/a/h2GiR my ship with upgraded hull an with mask energy sig both have the terran deflector