test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• nerdeusnerdeus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I mentioned this in another post, but would the idea be more palatable if the dinosaurs are indigenous to the sphere? Star Trek has used parallel development/evolution to rationalize "TRIBBLE in Space" and similar coincidences, so why not these dinosaurs, too? Presumably, the advanced civilization that constructed the sphere abandoned it millennia ago. Perhaps, these dinosaurs evolved subsequent to their absence? And if the Voth sought to exploit a less-evolved Saurian lifeform that was already there by putting laser beams on their heads to protect Voth interests, so be it. I find that scenario more plausible than the Voth breeding them as part of their typical military arsenal..
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinosaurs, sigh... Links of related silliness...
    Dinosaucers
    DinoRiders and a pic
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I want a dinosaur shaped space ship. It will be an aircraft carrier that lays egg fighters, and roars whenever I hit space bar!
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Did they breed raptors too?

Honestly tho my favorite thing from all this is that some people consider voyager canon, arguably the worse series to date from trek history, I can list a multitude of reasons why but I think the obvious is, a lone intrepid class with limited support was capable of surviving everything the delta quadrant could toss at it, including borg...I dunno this is all a big /shrug

to finish my day im just going to watch the phantom menance on repeat till my eyes bleed
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bunansa wrote: »
    Honestly tho my favorite thing from all this is that some people consider voyager canon, arguably the worse series to date from trek history,

i could say the same about TOS i mean the acting in that come on most of the WTF moments come from TOS and got new for ya CBS says its canon dont matter what you think is only one who owns the IP and to bad that is just not you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • carlosvzla28carlosvzla28 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    guriphu wrote: »
    I want a dinosaur shaped space ship. It will be an aircraft carrier that lays egg fighters, and roars whenever I hit space bar!

i want THIS Megazord.... after all, those are dinosaurs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLGZff2kb7k
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As I can see why people would object to this Voth thing... I think they look cool and I wouldn't mind being able to play as Voth.

The Voth themselves are not bad.. its just their combat "pets" i think maybe is a bit over the top compared to what is trek etc.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Perhaps some fans would be happier if they were called "Kahless Horses."

See what I did there?
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bunansa wrote: »
    Honestly tho my favorite thing from all this is that some people consider voyager canon

of course its canon. the fact you dont like it has no impact on that.
  • mingtran2mingtran2 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    to me, the Voth is a Huge Rip Off of the Silurians from Doctor Who, then again, Seeing that the Borg are Clearly the Cybermen and Jem'Hadar are probably the Sontarans, guess I'm fine with that :P
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mingtran2 wrote: »
    to me, the Voth is a Huge Rip Off of the Silurians from Doctor Who, then again, Seeing that the Borg are Clearly the Cybermen and Jem'Hadar are probably the Sontarans, guess I'm fine with that :P

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s06e07-the-simpsons-already-did-it

Dino-Sauroids is nothing unique to Doctor Who or Star Trek for that matter .... the idea is probably as old as Sci-Fi ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mingtran2 wrote: »

and Gary Seven is The Doctor himself. ;)
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • lookmanohandslookmanohands Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dont know what all the fuzz is about.

Just give the T-Rex a ridged forehead and tadaa!!!!..... its an alien T-Rex from another world who has clearly and obviously spawned from another ocean.

Whats more Star Trek than ridged foreheads?

And if you cant afford the make-up artist, just paint a dot on its forhead or go without any make-up or prosthetics and call it an alien T-Rex anyway.

That reminds me of horses on Nimbus III.

Hey Devs! Where have all the horses gone? Explain that? Its not Nimbus III without horses. Have you no respect for canon and Roddenberrys vision? ;-)
  • ronsunronsun Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When do we get to see the Fonze jumping the Dino?
    Can here it now.
    Don't go into the long grass.
    Bingo Dino DNA
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why don't you all stop crying about 'dinosaurs' until the episode is actually released and then make judgement?

I don't see how a game with potentially thousands of crazy alien species has a problem with large lizards sporting guns. Seems fairly basic really in comparison to some of the stuff i have seen on star trek over the years. There has been far more ridiculous things in episodes of all the shows.

You people need to get over yourselves, and try to support the hard work undoubtedly going into this next season, in order to give a lot of us what we have repeatedly asked for in the form of more robust PVE content. If they don't deliver, then fair enough. Go to town with your dinobot jokes. Until proven otherwise though, i see no reason to try and ridicule something that hasn't been released. Rather it seems to me, to be mostly a load of children trying to have their moment of glory and look 'cool' on a forum thread with some TRIBBLE jokes.

Show some respect for their work. If you want to call me a fanboy then fine, check my face for any sign of concern. I simply think that if i was making your next season of content and i read some of the comments here, i would think "well **** you very much".
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    caldannach wrote: »
    Why don't you all stop crying about 'dinosaurs' until the episode is actually released and then make judgement?

I don't see how a game with potentially thousands of crazy alien species has a problem with large lizards sporting guns. Seems fairly basic really in comparison to some of the stuff i have seen on star trek over the years. There has been far more ridiculous things in episodes of all the shows.

You people need to get over yourselves, and try to support the hard work undoubtedly going into this next season, in order to give a lot of us what we have repeatedly asked for in the form of more robust PVE content. If they don't deliver, then fair enough. Go to town with your dinobot jokes. Until proven otherwise though, i see no reason to try and ridicule something that hasn't been released. Rather it seems to me, to be mostly a load of children trying to have their moment of glory and look 'cool' on a forum thread with some TRIBBLE jokes.

Show some respect for their work. If you want to call me a fanboy then fine, check my face for any sign of concern. I simply think that if i was making your next season of content and i read some of the comments here, i would think "well **** you very much".

There's not a lot of hard work behind the dinosaur concept; they came out and admitted unabashedly that the thought process was, "dinosaurs with laserbeams." So then they took dinosaurs, put sci-fi armor and laserbeams on them. That's their genius at work.

And we're not here to coddle the team. If people want to complain about what they know so far, they should. And they should be able to do so without being called children and marginalized because of their opinions.

Get off your high horse.
    edited October 2013
    There's not a lot of hard work behind the dinosaur concept; they came out and admitted unabashedly that the thought process was, "dinosaurs with laserbeams." So then they took dinosaurs, put sci-fi armor and laserbeams on them. That's their genius at work.

Genius is the ability to find the shortest way between a moment of want/need and the corresponding moment of satisfaction.

Genius is the idea that makes everybody else go: "Thats so simple! Why the hell didnt I think of that!?! Every child could have come up with this! I feel stupid for not being the one who came up with that!"

I like Dinosaurs.

I like Lazers.

http://406error.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/12362089079541.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    edited October 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »

"Prepare for Space-Time-Energy-Projection!"

Sounds like science to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5EaoSA02LM
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    @caldannach: We already have huge lizards sporting guns. They're called freaking Gorn.

Cryptic, answer this for me: Why are you making an episode about a race that appeared in exactly one episode and are so obscure I had to be reminded who the frakking frak they even are?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited October 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Cryptic, answer this for me: Why are you making an episode about a race that appeared in exactly one episode and are so obscure I had to be reminded who the frakking frak they even are?

i could ask the same about the pizza hut guys Saurian if i do recall only appeared in the cartoon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Saurians were seen in the movies too, albeit just in the background. But yeah, a lot of the aliens featured in STO were obscure one-episode wonders, so why the hell should we not have Voth?

Hell, the ultimate villains are supposed to be the Iconians who never actually appeared once, period. Only their ruins and gate system made appearances.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Be happy they're actual dinosaurs instead of those ****ty Gorn from the Reboot. :rolleyes:
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    starswordc wrote: »

I actually think that's the whole reason that they chose them. If they use a well established species, they have to stick to all the history and lore that species has. That limits what they can do story wise. If they pick a lesser known species or one that was only used in a single episode, they can pretty much do whatever they want with the story. Since there isn't much to tie them down, they can just go nuts with it.

A secondary reason is that Star Trek has a lot of loose ends. A lot of things that were featured once and then never shown again only to leave fans wondering what happened after that. It gives them a way to tie up some of those loose ends.

I don't think that's such a bad deal on Cryptic's end to be honest. Getting to tie up a loose end from Trek while being able to do whatever they want with the story line? That's a perfect candidate I would say.

That's how I look at it anyway.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    I actually think that's the whole reason that they chose them. If they use a well established species, they have to stick to all the history and lore that species has. That limits what they can do story wise. If they pick a lesser known species or one that was only used in a single episode, they can pretty much do whatever they want with the story. Since there isn't much to tie them down, they can just go nuts with it.

A secondary reason is that Star Trek has a lot of loose ends. A lot of things that were featured once and then never shown again only to leave fans wondering what happened after that. It gives them a way to tie up some of those loose ends.

I don't think that's such a bad deal on Cryptic's end to be honest. Getting to tie up a loose end from Trek while being able to do whatever they want with the story line? That's a perfect candidate I would say.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Indeed, that's why the devs chose to feature the Elachi in the LoR story arc. In their case, they appeared in a single Enterprise episode, "Silent Enemy", and didn't even have a name in that episode (it was Cryptic who gave them the name "Elachi").
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Indeed, that's why the devs chose to feature the Elachi in the LoR story arc. In their case, they appeared in a single Enterprise episode, "Silent Enemy", and didn't even have a name in that episode (it was Cryptic who gave them the name "Elachi").

Too true. I actually had the Elachi in mind when I wrote that and meant to mention them but...derp I had a brain TRIBBLE and forgot. Thanks for catching that one for me haha.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    you know what we will get for the new season gift, a cup of water, when placed on the ground, if it shows signs of vibrations, find shelter or make a mad run for it. :D
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
    edited October 2013
    you know what we will get for the new season gift, a cup of water, when placed on the ground, if it shows signs of vibrations, find shelter or make a mad run for it. :D

this did make me laugh :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead