What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Name the best and worst Story Arc

Comments

• Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Hmmm...best: seeing how I also remember when TOS was the only one around I'd have to pick the Devidian arc.

Worst: Iconian Arc. All that time to lead up to a letdown of a war
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    jrdragonettijrdragonetti Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Depends on the context for me, best for both gameplay and storyline is the Klingon tutorial set, I still love the rura penth mission where your bird of prey decloaks on ground to unleash a torpedo on the unsuspecting bad guy.

Bad, for gameplay, the romulan FE series, for giving us Colosseum, I can't bring myself to repeat it, even though now I can get the reman visuals. Story wise, I don't think the new replacement cardassian/mirror arc has enough missions or story to give anything substantial to justify the badlands battle zone, the missions are fun, but it's a case of mirror leeta saying "I'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids, I'll be back later when you're a bit better and can faceroll me easier with your friends"
  • Options
    daeridanii#4438 daeridanii Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Best: Solanae Dyson Sphere - Or, maybe just A Step Between Stars. That one episode made the whole arc for me, probably because it's just so crazy that it feels like a real adventure. Seriously; flying over a star in a fancy EV suit? And that engineer's enthusiasm was wonderful. If Cryptic made another episode like that, I would be ecstatic.

Worst: Delta Quadrant - It had a great idea that got stretched too thin. The first few episodes were nice, but then we just get into fight Vaadwaar here, fight 'em here, fight 'em again, and then attack the homeworld. More with the Kobali, or the Borg Cooperative would greater present the myriad societies Janeway and her crew encountered there.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    kingmj4891 wrote: »
    Overall the Arcs are suffering from F2P and having to support three factions under a single mission. If some missions were behind a paywall you would have more quality missions.
    I disagree, f2p doesn't mean 'bad plots' or 'bad writing' there are plenty of MMO examples with very good plots. I do agree tho, that DDO's or SWTOR's methods for releasing new content as 'purchasable episodes' or 'expansion packs' would give Cryptic more freedom to hire/retrain writers that aren't hacks.

Ironically, TOR is now suffering from complaints that class/faction stories no longer matter and all characters basically have the same story at this point.

I find those complaints somewhat amusing, and valid, at the same time. The devs told everyone before KotFE launched that the plot was going to be largely the same with come "class flavor" tossed in.
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    We revisit old races that never should have been allowed to survive in such a hostile quadrant (coughTalaxianscough) and do the most stupid stuff possible there

I disagree. But otherwise a very good post.

Talaxians are rodents. While I don't like them, they have the skill to adapt to any situations. They care about their tribe's survival. That's why I acknowledge but do not like Neelix in Voyager. He saved Voyager a few times and later the small colony in the asteroid too. And helping them in Delta Rising felt good. Would do it again.

Anyways, new arcs are incomparably better than old arcs. Any old arcs TBH.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Best: Cloaked Intentions.
    This was one of the first story arcs I ever played in STO, and it gripped me from beginning to end. The revelation that the Iconians, the mythical precursors from TNG, were pitting everyone against each other in preparation for their eventual return was genuinely fascinating, and I loved that I could sympathize with Obisek rather than try to arrest him.

Worst: Iconian War.
    What else needs to be said? Rushed story, idiotic dialogue and characters (damn you, Kagran!) and the fact that more than half of the arc was dedicated to setting up the Krenim/Sphere Builders as antagonists. That is not how you conclude a plot that's been building up for five years.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    So am I the only one who stepped out long enough ago to remember that STO launched with the Undine as the omni-present shapeshifting threat behind EVERYTHING? I've got a paperback novel on my shelf the just can't get over that impulse to roll around like a pig in slops about how scary the Undine are. Booga booga! feer meh!

The Iconians are johny-come-latelies as the big bad. And I can't say the story benefited from either attempt at all encompassing antagonists.

Going for that "Galactic stage" sense of scale has not done STO any favors.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    and the fact that more than half of the arc was dedicated to setting up the Krenim/Sphere Builders as antagonists.
    Except the the fact the Tuterians only appeared in one mission in the Iconian War arc, and that same mission is the one that made them into sphere builders.

1/8th =/= over half.

Another lie bites the dust.

"Time in a Bottle", "Broken Circle", and "Butterfly" were all directly related to the Krenim timeship and built toward that plot. So that's 3/8 -- not quite half, granted, but still pretty close.
    The Iconians amounted to the singular race who, even with the combined powers of the Federation, Romulan Republic, Klingon Empire, the Delta alliance, the Cardassians, the Ferengi, and The Dominion, could not be beat militarily, a first for any race in Star Trek beyond the purely magical ones like the Q.

The Iconians became the one race so completely powerful, it forced the hand of all the major races to undertake a mission that violated everything they stood for, and even then, we STILL couldn't manage to beat the Iconians because they were just that damn powerful.

The Iconians made the entire galaxy their TRIBBLE. The only reason why anyone is alive right now, or in the future, is because they CHOSE to go away, and the galaxy will forever remain with the knowledge that at any moment, the Iconians could chose to come back, greater then they were, now that they have the world heart to restore their technology.

The Iconians became, and still are, the threat the Borg could only have ever dreamed of being.

If thats not satisfying to someone, then nothing is.

In-universe, sure, they were built up as a scary dogmatic race. But in the eyes of the majority of players (at least those who post on the forums) they fell way short of the threat posed by, to name a few, the Reapers or the Flood or the Tyranids. They might have frightened the characters, but they didn't scare the players. And it's the players' opinion that counts.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    best: RR storyline involving Hakeev and his sinister plans (i still dunno why cryptic decided to kill him off, one of their best villains).
    worst: fed side of the klingon war. ultra boring and remains like that until the romulan arc.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Hands down the entire Bajor arc!
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

Overall the Arcs are suffering from F2P and having to support three factions under a single mission. If some missions were behind a paywall you would have more quality missions. Also you cannot keep making these stories for three factions be the same for each faction. If I am playing a Fed I want it to sound and feel like a Starfleet mission. If I am a Klingon, I want to know what it's like to be a Klingon on a Klingon mission not some Fed/Klingon Hybrid officer. And if I am a Romulan well if I am a Romulan I want Sela as my leader and not D'Tan but that's a rant for another day.

dtan.gif

Wow really? Paywalls don't work that well as they demand you pony up a chunk of cash for each new content be it good or bad. Ask Blizzard about that. Ever wonder why the subs there have crashed and that game is DEAD except for die hards? Paywalls have no bearing on the quality of the story line behind them. Ask someone about Cataclysm sometime. The F2P model works very well and is how most successful games work these days. Look at Candy Crush as an example it's F2P but with optional in game purchases it's definetly not a money loser.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    So am I the only one who stepped out long enough ago to remember that STO launched with the Undine as the omni-present shapeshifting threat behind EVERYTHING?
    Funny, I recall the game talking about how the Undine were being used by the Iconians even back then.
    "Time in a Bottle", "Broken Circle", and "Butterfly" were all directly related to the Krenim timeship and built toward that plot. So that's 3/8 -- not quite half, granted, but still pretty close.
    Uhh no, the only mission that built toward that plot was Butterfly, nothing in Time in a Battle and Broken Circle built to the sphere builder plot at all, as they weren't discussed, or even suggested in those missions. Both Time in a Bottle and Broken Circle dealt directly with the Iconians only, and the ultimate resolution to that arc. And even in Butterfly, the Sphere builders were a minor, tertiary, point in that mission.
    In-universe, sure, they were built up as a scary dogmatic race. But in the eyes of the majority of players (at least those who post on the forums) they fell way short of the threat posed by, to name a few, the Reapers or the Flood or the Tyranids. They might have frightened the characters, but they didn't scare the players. And it's the players' opinion that counts.
    You mean the same majority who makes easily disprovable lies on a daily basis as justification for their beliefs? Sorry if I have little respect for their opinions.

And on the point of the Reapers, the Iconians were the far greater threat. The Reapers were never scary because Shep and crew singlehandedly thwarted them at every turn, to the point even the Reapers called Shep annoying during the Alpha Relay incident because of much he had messed up their plans. And up until the last 10 minutes or so of Mass Effect 3, the game showed the races easily wining against the Reaper horde.

On the other hand, nothing the races did ever seemed to truly annoy the Iconians. They had so many backup plans, and other weapons, that nothing mattered. Every victory we scored against them got negated the next day when they pulled something new out of their 200,000+ year old back of tricks. Even up until the final battle over Earth, we had lost every major engagement in the war, and even killing one of the Iconians did nothing to slow them down. And even with the combined forced of every major known race in the galaxy we failed to make any sort of dent in the Iconian horde.

If the Reapers were scary, the Iconians must have been terrifying because they easily outperformed the Reapers in every way narratively.

the iconians manufactured proof of invasions that unknownly implicated the beta quadrant factions that pushed the 8472 into war, from there onwards using that fear and xenophobia was a simple matter when its easy to predict motives and means from an iconian point without any official/unofficial direct contact. the 8472 didnt realize they were being manipulated.

the problem with reapers was their arrogance, what was their downfall was their own belief that they had already won and so they failed to account, because of this critical failure to check, shepard escaped detection until harbinger figured it out that shepard knew what it was and how to defeat it and other reapers, not that it helped as again harbingers arrogance and failure to account for shepard lead to its destruction/conversion/control. if the reapers were more careful and spotted shepard and his or her plans, they could of prevented it by directing a few reapers to jump right on top of the normandy, BAM! problem solved.

with the iconians, they were more revenge driven but arrogance also played a factor, however due to the sheer overwhelming strength the iconians provided in space forces and ground forces, they could carry that arrogance as genuine. the iconians would of destroyed earth as sure as they would of wiped out everything in the alpha and beta quadrants and then focus on the dominion and borg.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Definitely liked the Romulan story arc the best; Sela's malicious voice in the back of our captain's head as they try to hold on to their identity...

Delta Rising was definitely the worst, not because I hated the story as much as the game mechanics were horribly executed, and the difficulty level an order of magnitude higher than previous content, despite Cryptic's insistence that the T6 wasn't really necessary to successfully navigate the missions. I will likely NEVER replay a DR episode... :s
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    despite Cryptic's insistence that the T6 wasn't really necessary to successfully navigate the missions.
    Having done them in a Ha'feh with green mk XII gear... T6 is NOT necessary. Doing something besides drooling on your space bar is
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Huh. I've only done Delta Rising once and that was with a captain that was level 58 when I started and had a moderately tricked out Tholian Tarantula. I got blown up a couple times figuring out how the Vaudwaar artillery attacks work but after that it seemed mostly a smooth ride. Paying attention was required, but not exactly hard. I can see how it would have been less cheerful without a dreadnought though :).
  • Options
    tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    although the vaadwaur story was alrite, the constant patrol missions were a bothersome waste

but best story arc? any pre-delta rising really.
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I think the Delta Rising missions were well done with VO, new assets. Though the slow level progression made you a bit less optimistic over it.
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I have always thought the KDF Feh'lhri arc was the best in game. Completely enjoyable and distinctly Klingon.

Faction specific stories are long gone from STO due to Geko's dislike of them. Which is a cause of STO having only a veneer of Star Trek laid over a generic space combat shoot'em up. But as long s the suits and the players are okay with this, Space Combat Online will continue.

Worst story arc is Delta Rising. Trying to offer fan service while simultaneously disrespecting your customers and accusing them of cheating without any real proof shows just how out of control Cryptic employees are. Especially when the players warned you beforehand on Tribble about the very exploit you used as the basis for your flimsy accusations. Which were used in turn to punish people arbitrarily and without proof.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    For me, My fav was the ENTIRE Romulan Arc BEFORE the changes (Including Saturday's Child)
    My least favorite was the ENTIRE Delta Arc.

As much as I love Voyager, being forced to run patrol missions instead of LONG REAL episode-like missions makes Delta just a chore. And the Romulan Arc before all the changes, made the arc seem episodic and I felt like I was involved in the TV series.
  • Options
    dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    Faction specific stories are long gone from STO due to Geko's dislike of them.
    Worst story arc is Delta Rising. Trying to offer fan service while simultaneously disrespecting your customers and accusing them of cheating without any real proof
    Except they did have proof, lots of it. Hell, people even admitted to it on a large scale.

Stop trying to play the innocent victim because you got slapped on the wrist for doing something you knew was wrong.

Ummmm.....No. Not everyone cheated and yet everyone got slapped by the devs cause of their inability to properly test things before releasing them. The Devs was told time and time again about 99% of the bugs and issues back on tribble and they ignored it. So, it's not the player's fault for playing a game to the point of what the devs ALLOWED the players to get away with. If the devs didn't want the players to play their way, then properly test.

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    If we're talking about the story and the episodes themselves:

Best: The In Shadows arc of the RR story, especially Mind Game for the whole mind TRIBBLE you're hopelessly undergoing and Sleepers for being creepy (both from the fact the Borg could wake up at anytime, and the fact someone or something managed to remove a whole part of the ship, showing the Iconians aren't joking around).

Worst: The second half of the Cardassian Struggle arc, because of all the padding and walking you have to go through. And the EVA puzzle and station-walking, my god!

If we're talking about the implementation of the story and everything around it:

Best: Second half of the Klingon War (including Spectres), mostly due to the TOS appearances, the creepy depths of Drozana, the battle against the planet killer and Temporal Ambassador.

Worst: The Delta Quadrant and the Iconian War in a tie. The former because of the insane amounts of grind to go through to just be able to continue the story and the latter because it absolutely didn't feel like a war, some plots were caused by idiots (Kagran and Kahless, I hate you) and it was too short and without many side missions, PvE alerts or additional fluff like flows of refugees, funerals, overcrowded sickbays and shipyards.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Having done them in a Ha'feh with green mk XII gear... T6 is NOT necessary. Doing something besides drooling on your space bar is
    Considering that the first time I encountered the Vaadwaur artillery ship in an episode I was flying a Risan Corvette with an all-tetryon loadout, I was hardly "drooling on my space bar". It took a full hour to beat it, like so many other DR episodes. Even once I got a T6 ship, most of the 5+5+5+5+5 patrol episodes took 1-2 hours to complete. The issue is not that the mission can be done, rather that it is no longer enjoyable at that point. The story elements are dwarfed by the sheer labor of killing so many boss ships... :s
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    Considering that the first time I encountered the Vaadwaur artillery ship in an episode I was flying a Risan Corvette with an all-tetryon loadout, I was hardly "drooling on my space bar". It took a full hour to beat it, like so many other DR episodes. Even once I got a T6 ship, most of the 5+5+5+5+5 patrol episodes took 1-2 hours to complete. The issue is not that the mission can be done, rather that it is no longer enjoyable at that point. The story elements are dwarfed by the sheer labor of killing so many boss ships... :s

Well, while I didnt find it taking me an hour.... those missions just arent fun period I dont care if you're in a 1000000000k dps t100 god ship. Those missions were the most tedious, boring, carp-tastic excuse for 'filler' ever heard of :P
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Best Arc: Starting Romulan
    Just a fantastic arc, though I hate Tovhan Khev being forced upon us and after that arc not being able to dismiss him. But the Federation Arc wasn't bad either, KDF meh it was ok.

Worst arc: 3 way tie between Cardassian, Nimbus, Iconian war.
    All 3 of these have just been awful. Nimbus for anyone not Romulan was a waste of time and never should of been part of any other story line. It would of been a 4 way tie had "Divide at Imperia" still been around from Fed romulan arc.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Overall the Arcs are suffering from F2P and having to support three factions under a single mission. If some missions were behind a paywall you would have more quality missions.
    I disagree, f2p doesn't mean 'bad plots' or 'bad writing' there are plenty of MMO examples with very good plots. I do agree tho, that DDO's or SWTOR's methods for releasing new content as 'purchasable episodes' or 'expansion packs' would give Cryptic more freedom to hire/retrain writers that aren't hacks.

Ironically, TOR is now suffering from complaints that class/faction stories no longer matter and all characters basically have the same story at this point.

God don't remind me. Their KOTFE story they have going takes the issue I've yelled at PWE for for ages now and does the same thing. All roads lead to 1. I mean from a production standpoint it saves a lot of money, but damn does it make for a repetitive story. And for certain classes absolutely no sense.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Stop trying to play the innocent victim because you got slapped on the wrist for doing something you knew was wrong.

But I did not get slapped on the wrist, I saw a great many people in here talking about the Japori 17x exploit and wondering why someone would be so stupid as to leave something like that in a game. I also saw the EP at the time surface and rip off a scathing forum post over the whole thing. Further, the Dev Team later admitted they were a little overzealous in punishing people and they did in fact punish some who did not use the Japori 17x exploit. These players' characters were restored and the whole thing slid under the radar afterwards.

Before you go accusing someone of trying to revise history, you probably should at least have some knowledge of the history yourself. It is called, 'research'. A radically new concept on the Internet where one actually goes and looks up something before they spout off about it in public. Prevents one from looking like an arrogantly ignorant buffoon.

Or, you could simply go drinking the Kool Aid. Which I find amusing.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.