Install Arc
Options

Free t5 base-access for all!

Comments

• Options
    amalefactoramalefactor Member Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All praise for Dear Leader!

I kind of miss when people were asked to say that before receiving Goon generosity. :o
  • Options
    saegiosaegio Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    v1ctor1st wrote: »
    Here's the thing though, with the exception of inviting someone in to get a fleet ship.. in which case they have to actually JOIN your fleet, it doesnt cost the inviting fleet a single thing.

Inviting someone from a lower tier fleet into a T5 base, T3 Mine, T3 Embassy or Spire costs the smaller fleet provisions... not the big fleet.

So... why should folks have to pay to lets say get an invite to a T3 Research Spire to get Loc and Exp Tac consoles when it isnt costing the large fleet a single thing? 10 million EC i seen some fleets charge for access to their T3 Research Spire in ESD. Why are they charging? The provisions dont come from their fleet, it comes from the persons own fleet that got invited in.

The only time i can see a need to charge is if someone wants in for a fleet ship, because ONLY then will that person have to join the big fleet and use up that big fleets provisions... but that is the only time a large fleet has to use provisions and the only time that a 10 mil charge seems fair.

However charging 5 to 10 million EC for someone to go in and buy a couple of Tac consoles, or maybe buy an elite fleet warp core when the large fleet isnt using any provisions to provide it to them? Sorry, thats just a rip off... and thats why there is public service channels.

well, what you pay for is NOT the provisions of course, but the short-cut. You are getting access to stuff which those fleets have maybe worked years to unlock, so ihmo they have earned the privilege to sell that short-cut due to all the hard work they have put in. And yes, there are always people trying to exploit others, and yes I agree, 10 mil is way too much for that kind of invite. However, I would personally give a couple of million as a tip alone, just to appreciate the work they have done.

But most people don't even think that far, they just want the best stuff now, but do nothing for it, and do not even consider the work behind. But at same time they complain how unfair that is. The problem I see with this, is that this benefits those kind of people while disadvantaging the fleets which do an honest and reasonable business (yes there are those).

Believe me, we had quite a few happy customers before this came out and some even stayed in the fleet because they liked the climate.

Some of the best gear in the game, which is supposed to be hard to get, is now easy to get, and that makes that gear less good!! And frankly, our fleet has really easy going access requirements for provisioned vendors, so new members just work a little (some people have done that in less than one hour membership) and then its not only happy fleet shopping but also being in a nice community to play with.
    [SIGPIC]2e0slyf.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    saegio2 wrote: »
    well, what you pay for is NOT the provisions of course, but the short-cut. You are getting access to stuff which those fleets have maybe worked years to unlock, so ihmo they have earned the privilege to sell that short-cut due to all the hard work they have put in.

Fleets do have every right to sell access if they choose... but they also have absolutely no way to stop us from providing it freely. So I hope their profits are down and their seats have nice cushions.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Saegio, about people gaining access without having it themselves, for my fleet at least, it's been nothing but a help actually.

My fleet, or even at least I personally, sees it not as a means of getting access to something we don't have, so we know what it's like and might want it, so then we can work harder on getting it unlocked permanently for ourselves. Then we don't need to worry about getting invites, and in turn, can offer our OWN invites to other people. Plus, on top of that, if people do want to get invites, they STILL need to donate to get FCs, that sure as hell don't ever change.

Plus, do remember that every holding has different tracks. The Spire is the Spire as the main, with Research and Operations as 2ndary ones. A lot of folks are going for Research due to fleet tac consoles, but not EVERYONE is, so there are folks out there wanting Operations for the fleet kits and DOFF slots. So if we focus on Research, doesn't mean that everyone in my fleet wanted Research, some might've wanted Operations, so they would go looking for those invites if they didn't wish to wait.

Now, in regards to selling access, I never had any issues in that about selling ships. Because that and that alone requires both an invite AND directly using facilities of another fleet. What I always felt, before this channel was made, was two things:

1. Monopolies

For many a month, it was mostly the 'mega-fleets' out there who had tier 5 stuff, and even then not very many of em. Thus it was really a monopoly. They could charge quite a bit of EC for any invite. Again, for ships, even if I didn't agree with the prices sometimes, but they would charge for ANY invite though.

Now, the only real reason the prices went down is really because the monopoly was broken. Eventually more fleets DID start to unlock things at tier 5, and so simple economics kicked in and things calmed down.

In the game as it stands now, it's an interesting balance: Mega-fleets (or at least fleets with the resources to do so) usually end up at tier 3 first on every new holding and generally charge access until someone in NoP catches up and it tends to quiet down, as far as I can tell at least.

The other end of that is people who are in NoP and want invites, generally have to wait longer because, well, it takes time, and things are not necessarily going to go swimmingly because most of the fleets in that channel don't have the resources and member-numbers of the 'mega-fleets'. Plus, whoever does unlock it, may not necessarily have a member on at the time who can do so.

2. Greed

Don't misunderstand, I'm not painting every fleet who charged automatically greedy simply because they got something out of it. BUT that doesn't mean they didn't (and one could argue, still do) exist. Or in other words, yes, I did see fleets out there who sold access purely to satiate the greed of one person or a small group, purely for the sake of it.

Yes, fleets out there who charged for access but gave back to their fleet I had no problems with. They were using their fleet as a resource like anything else, and using anything gained from it, to help further along their own needs. No issues. What is an issue was when it was only blatant greed and they didn't care about anyone but themselves. That is what I got sick of, and why, when NoP started doing this, I eagerly jumped on board damn nearly from day one I think.

One guy I remember seeing months ago...

He was talking in Starbase 39 zone chat (nobody seemed to be paying much attention to this guy though, I really don't blame those people either, they were wise) was asking for 5 million EC to get invited to his fleet. Note, I said fleet, as in, JOIN, not just be taken to his SB, actually join it. Why? He claimed, at the time, to have tier 5 science, almost tier 5 tactical, and tier 4 engineering.

I decided to ask him for an invite to his SB to see if he was telling the truth or not, at least about the science and engineering areas. He outright said no, stating that I would only be there to steal all his fleet's provisions and leave them with nothing. In turn I said that was impossible, and he just replied that it would cost me double for it, and I'd have to pay right there. I in return called him on it, asking, how could he invite me to his SB if he was standing there.

He was apparently getting annoyed I wasn't falling for his scheme, so he said that I had to pay now, because we'd 'agreed' to a deal, and if I didn't, he would report me. I of course refused, and he told me he had reported me, before putting me on ignore and going right back to his same message. I shook my head and continued on my way.

Now, was that a bit of an over-the-top example? Yeah, but the guy was wanting 5 million EC so you could get into his fleet JUST to donate and be a member, let alone if he would've actually let you (presuming he was even a fleet leader) buy stuff.

Was he lying in some form? Most likely. Doesn't change the stupid-high amounts he was asking for just invites. Even if his fleet had what he claimed (at the time, his fleet tag wasn't one I recognized as having further along starbase stuff, at least of the fleets I knew of here on the forums and through friends in the game, nor, being so many months later, do I remember it now), didn't change the huge cost inherent to it he was asking. And if they didn't and someone paid, only to find out the truth, they would still be out their ECs because I doubt the guy would be willing to give them back, since it would've been a scam.

Or in short:

I didn't like that only a small group of people had access to something that only they could give out anything for, and I also didn't like when those people would charge considerable amounts only to line their pockets instead of helping their fleet.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ... but they also have absolutely no way to stop us from providing it freely. So I hope their profits are down and their seats have nice cushions.

Exactly what I thought too. This is in fact the actual hidden agenda behind all this. It is not about being generous (that is just how it looks to individuals), but about damaging other fleets and more self exposure. Thank you for making my point man!! :D
    Suffice it to say, we are not crying now. as I said we got a strong community!

@mimey: Thank you for actually taking the time to think about what I said and making a thought through post. That example is hilarious and I think people like that are the actual reason that many people see us (the t5 fleets in such a bad light). Of course this is no appropriate behavior and I would have reported that guy immediately after your conversation with him.

Of course I can only speak for our fleet, but Monopolies or Greed is nothing we care about. We only want to max out our base and for that we work very hard for. e.g. members donated 100 mil EC in order to buy 4-and3-trait doffs for the console crafting. I am the assigned crafter, and when I get something good I sell it and drop the money into the fleet bank so people can buy doffs for projects. the same we did with invites, but always trying to actually keep the guy in the fleet and not kick him out after finished business.

Atm, I am just glad to have made one of the participants reveal his real intentions, thank you futurepastnow for being so generous to share your motives (better think next time before talking) :cool:
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    whether my public service activity was born of spite or goodwill doesnt really change the fact that this entire movement not only benefits less advanced fleets, but the entire kdf faction in particular.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    saegio2 wrote: »
    Atm, I am just glad to have made one of the participants reveal his real intentions, thank you futurepastnow for being so generous to share your motives (better think next time before talking) :cool:

I speak only for myself. And I'm not sure what you think you've revealed. I would tell anyone who asked that I think selling access is a very un-Star-Trek-like business. Besides which, this is a game, which is nominally played for fun. I know that my fun is enhanced by having access to the best equipment in the game, and that equipment is expensive enough without someone gating it behind a further EC wall.

So if I've made someone's game a little more fun by making it possible for them to have Elite hangars and Advanced whatevers without leaving their small fleet with their friends, and without being gouged by some seller, I won't lose any sleep over your fleet. And if any sellers are distressed by what I'm helping to do, that's just a very sweet bonus.

And the fleets I am in- both Fed and KDF- managed to max out everything (in the top ten to finish everything, too) without ever selling access. Don't try to pretend you have to do that to reach the top.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    too late, I don't believe a single word of it, but who cares anyways!
    Over and out!!
  • Options
    g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks to the NOP public serving pubbies alike

I got my T3 OPs Fed access today and my Research access last week so i am happy and grateful
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dont believe what?
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2014
    It is also worth mentioning that tehbubbaloo (ninastepford) is on NoP channel pretty religiously and has been for what feels like more than 6 months offering invites and deliberately staying at those holdings to allow people access.

There are others who do this but s/he is certainly the most prominent I have seen.

*applause*

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm still not sure what that guy thinks he discovered, or why he thinks it matters.

Anyway

I got a Spire Ops 3 invite yesterday! I don't know how many fleets have that, but there's at least one Fed-side, so if you want the 6th Space doff slot, stop by and ask. You may have to wait, but it's only a matter of time. And it doesn't use a provision, either.
  • Options
    contrarydecisioncontrarydecision Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So as one of those people who got filthy, filthy rich off of the Fleet system, namely off of having the first tier 5 shipyard, I'm pretty okay with the whole NoP Public Service thing. Anyone still expecting to be profiting off the Fleet system at this point when there's so many fleets maxed out on everything but the newest holding is kind of delusional.

As others said, offering up free base access is a nice, noble goal. The fact it starves invite money off of others is just kind of a hilarious side-effect at this point. Trying to seriously argue that you've discovered the great secret of this nice effort at providing Fleet services access to others because someone points out it screws over those who charge for access still is kind of hilarious.

The era of being able to charge for access to Fleet holdings died at least half a year ago if not longer. It was a fun time (for those who charged) but they ain't coming back~
  • Options
    atlantisman1atlantisman1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would really like to thank NoP for their wonderful service. I was able to get some mk12 tac consoles from their tier 3 spire. It will be a very long time until my own fleet has this ability so I am eternally grateful!

Thank you SO much for your help. :)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    over the next few days to a few weeks i wanna trade out this old assault cruiser i have been using for almost 3 years to the fleet excel.

buying the excel wont be much of an issue but the issue i have is will it be just the ra excel needed for fleet excel or both ra and cmdr excels? i assume when i get the pre-requisite ship(s) that it will just cost 1 ship module? which shouldnt be an issue either again assuming. (wiki is not specific on this point like it is with other fleet ships)

then there is this military ship provisions thing, again assuming when i join a fleet for the ship that the fleet has the provisions already.

i hope these concerns can be addressed so it's not a problem. that way i can then plan out weapons and such to use on it as a tac using a tac configured fleet cruiser.

just this specific main has been neglected for a while and it's the eldest alt i have out of the lot. would be nice to see an upgrade after almost 3 years.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It should just be the RA retrofit to get the discount and yes, when you join a fleet to buy from their shipyard you will be using their military provisions which is why ship offers are usually more limited than invites for gear.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It should just be the RA retrofit to get the discount and yes, when you join a fleet to buy from their shipyard you will be using their military provisions which is why ship offers are usually more limited than invites for gear.

then im hoping my luck is good one day and a fleet is kind enough to help me get me one. for now i need to get some dilthium grinding going with all my toons.

horrible math:
    14 alt x 8k dil = 112k dil/130 dil ea = 861 xen x 3 day = 2583 zen = ra excel + fleet module.

so yeah around a week or a little longer, assuming the calendar is fixed rather soon.

then i will get started soon.
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    then im hoping my luck is good one day and a fleet is kind enough to help me get me one. for now i need to get some dilthium grinding going with all my toons.

horrible math:
    14 alt x 8k dil = 112k dil/130 dil ea = 861 xen x 3 day = 2583 zen = ra excel + fleet module.

so yeah around a week or a little longer, assuming the calendar is fixed rather soon.

You said you're just getting the Excelsior for one alt, right? If that's the case it would be cheaper to simply buy 4 fleet modules for 500z each, or off the exchange for EC. The C-store Excelsior doesn't have any special console that the fleet version is lacking.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

horrible math:

I may be able to help you when the time comes, if for no other reason than I'll take the flack from my fleet because I want to let another person get a Fleet Excelsior. It's my favorite ship from Star Trek. (but I can't promise I'd be able to help EVERYONE wanting a Fleet Excelsior, I only have so many ship provisions, and I probably couldn't be giving all of them away)
    variant37 wrote: »
    You said you're just getting the Excelsior for one alt, right? If that's the case it would be cheaper to simply buy 4 fleet modules for 500z each, or off the exchange for EC. The C-store Excelsior doesn't have any special console that the fleet version is lacking.

Actually I believe that the Excelsior, like a couple other ships such as the B'rel, because it comes with no console, it actually does cost 5 FSMs. So in this case, he's better off probably going for the C-store one, which is still an account-unlock, and then only needing his 1 FSM.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Actually I believe that the Excelsior, like a couple other ships such as the B'rel, because it comes with no console, it actually does cost 5 FSMs. So in this case, he's better off probably going for the C-store one, which is still an account-unlock, and then only needing his 1 FSM.

indeed, i had that in mind, thats why those fleet module bunches never occurred to me as there is a bigger advantage getting excel account wide then going for the perk.

when i can i will take you up on that offer mimey2. if not free, then i would be happy to chip in with some of your needs on your fleet project to get a few more provisions.
  • Options
    scoustarscoustar Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Helped myself to Fleet Mogh earlier this week, thanks NoP :D

Remember there are many fleets offering help in the channel, as well as great advice and sometimes even a laugh :eek:

You can get anything and everything available to anyone and everyone with nothing more than a little bit of patience.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2014
    scoustar wrote: »
    You can get anything and everything available to anyone and everyone with nothing more than a little bit of patience.

Patience is OP, pls nerf.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Free FED/KDF t5 base-invites, cell/tuffli invites, boff-training, and more!

join an active channel free of ego, unnecessary rules, and heavy-handed moderation.
    join a channel that is public and not private!
    join a channel where we share top tier holdings, freighter-invites, practical advice, and years of sto knowledge.

/channel_join NoP Public Service

Nerds of Prey, REDdit Alert, House of Snoo, House of Beautiful, and many more fleets are here every single day giving away free invites, allowing you access to top-shelf mine, embassy, spire, and base store consoles, boffs, weapons, etc.

how does this work?
    its the mechanics of sto fleet stores.
    the base, the mine, the embassy, and the spire all work this way: you enjoy the access-level of the fleet that owns the terminal you are using, yet all your purchases are deducted from your own fleets pool of provisions. for that reason you must have permissions to use your own fleet store and your own fleet must have the provisions to cover whatever purchases you wish to make.

the only exception to this is fleet ships, which would require you to actually join the higher tier fleet and use their ship provisions. thats why 'free ships' are so rare. it still happens though!

FuturePastNow (one of the most prolific t5-inviters in sto) has gone into great detail regarding fleet-store mechanics.

Thank you so much! I look forward to this as soon as I can log in!
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just a gentle reminder that whilst Fed T3 Ops spire invites are now going out in the channel they are still limited in supply. For KDF as far as I am aware there are no such invites currently available, however NoP will be finishing our T3 Ops upgrade in a little over 3.5 days, so they are coming!
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • Options
    possumlipspossumlips Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sorry if this was asked already.I've read most pages but couldn't find a answer. Can I buy the fleet Chimera,Atrox and Daeinos from the N.O.P. fleet spire or tier 4 ships from their starbase? Our fleet spire is not tier 1 and our starbase is tier 3. I have a lifetime sub and have already bought the c-stores Atrox if that matters. I got me some elite hangar fighters today....thanks NoP !!!
  • Options
    grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    possumlips wrote: »
    Sorry if this was asked already.I've read most pages but couldn't find a answer. Can I buy the fleet Chimera,Atrox and Daeinos from the N.O.P. fleet spire or tier 4 ships from their starbase? Our fleet spire is not tier 1 and our starbase is tier 3. I have a lifetime sub and have already bought the c-stores Atrox if that matters. I got me some elite hangar fighters today....thanks NoP !!!

NoP is open for shipyard access again, but we're KDF. There are Fed fleets in the channel giving away access, so pop in and ask, someone will help you out. Just remember you'll need to leave your fleet and temporarily join the other person's fleet to buy any fleet ships.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Took about three hours of waiting, but I managed to acquire a Fleet Mogh, Fleet Daeinos, and Fleet Chimera all tonight on my first outing into NoP Public Service.

Thank you NoP, and moreover, thank you participating community members.
  • Options
    grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nerds of Prey is happy to announce that we've unlocked our T3 Spire Operations, and we've been giving away a lot of extra space doff slots and new ground kits. Come over and join the fun if you're KDF.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Well, in 3 days (I think) my fleet will at long last be able to offer something tier 5 through the channel. Namely Elite Fleet Phasers.
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited January 2014
    Just visited NoP's T3 spire and I am enjoying my 6 space slot :)

Thank you for making this available for kdf .
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
This discussion has been closed.