What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2nd Friday Screenshot Available - 10/4/2013

Comments

• Options
    goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That ship is so blocky. Guess she won't be fast and they are working on new shiney consoles to make it more attractive? Maybe, don't buy it when it's released and see if bad sales force more changes? More pew pew for your buck. :D

every game is about making money ... were the green flows people flow :X
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    I've just seen trhe deflector of that ship on twitter.

Why do you guys (crpytic) have to make ships look so angular just in order to make them look more military?
    Did it occur to you that Starfleet ships don't need to look like a military moron fleet?

@branflakes, will we be able to use Odyssey ship parts?
    I hope it won't be another stand alone ship like the Odyssey. It's already a big letdown we have to keep the ugly cryptic design without ANY alternative parts on the FLAGSHIP.
    If this ship doesn't come with alternative parts i certainly wont buy it, just like i didn't buy the Odyssey.
    (and i know i am not alone :D )

Couldn't you just make an updated GCS?
    Why another one of your ugly ship "designs", while people are WAITING for three years for a fun to fly Galaxy Class? You updated the Sovereign, why not the GCS?

Ok, you devs may think the GCS isn't cool enough for your super militaristic spacey game. If not for yourself then you should rework that ship for us fans. You did such a good job with the Vesta and many other ships, why punish TNG and Galaxy class fans with such a crappy ship?

Yeah, there may not be so many GCS fans out there playing STO anymore.

But that minority knows how wrong that ship is made. Cryptics listens to PvP gamers regarding balance issues, why not listen to GCS fans in the GCS issue?
    (no one wants a "i win" ship, read the What is your beef with the Galaxy Cryptic? - thread, or ANY other GCS related tread if that's not too much to ask for.)
    LINK
    LINK
    LINK
    These are just some GCS related threads.

I'm sorry but i am really disgruntled right now. We are waiting for a reworked GCS for years now and Cryptic just releases a ugly militarized caricature of a Starfleet ship and expects us to be exited about it?

EDIT:
    If it HAD to be a military Starfleet ship, why not release a "Yesterdays Enterprise" Galaxy Class?
    (if that ship was not badass militaristic, then i don't know)

this is true but how ever just because you did not buy the ship they still made money as of some people brought the ship ><... including me very soon and some other ships... Ship flavor different people :) just like cars ^^... yep :D
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That ship is so blocky. Guess she won't be fast and they are working on new shiney consoles to make it more attractive? Maybe, don't buy it when it's released and see if bad sales force more changes? More pew pew for your buck. :D

I don't know man, that seems like a risky strategy. It doesn't really seem too reliable. They release a ship, then people don't buy it as a way to manipulate Cryptic into buffing the ship. They might just move on to another ship rather than boost this one. Plus getting them to alter a design might be a shade difficult.

Furthermore we shouldn't be so gung ho for supporting the power creep. Though equalizers for the Scimitar are logical.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I don't know man, that seems like a risky strategy. It doesn't really seem too reliable. They release a ship, then people don't buy it as a way to manipulate Cryptic into buffing the ship. They might just move on to another ship rather than boost this one. Plus getting them to alter a design might be a shade difficult.

Furthermore we shouldn't be so gung ho for supporting the power creep. Though equalizers for the Scimitar are logical.

What if people do buy it rofl there no way to know what people buy or what ships people buy.. unless you hack into there accounts and say ah ha you brought it :D
  • Options
    ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    What struck me is that this Federation design essentially comes from nowhere. I didn't expect it at all. Arguably, there was no pressing need for a new Fed heavyweight.

Then I remembered...

They were going to release more ships inspired from the other DTNE winners, right?

While obviously not the same due to the front-swept nacelle pylons, the screenshotted ship does share some elements from the Second-place winner. That has me wonder: Odyssey-variant?

4th place is gorgeous. I would gladly spend zen on that.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited October 2013

It doesn't need to be lightning-fast, but I am hoping it will be at least as fast as the Regent.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    goku5030 wrote: »
    this is true but how ever just because you did not buy the ship they still made money as of some people brought the ship ><... including me very soon and some other ships... Ship flavor different people :) just like cars ^^... yep :D
    The problem is there is only one flavor, which is cryptics ugly ships.
    They seem to be completely unable to create some Starfleet ships outside their (blocky) sceme. Their starfleet ships (especially crusiers) always look either deformed, blocky or made by a five year old.
    I haven't seen one sinlge Cryptic made Starfleet ship in the last 3 years, that looks really good or at least balanced and elegant.
    Cryptic seems to think the more Armor plates/angles and more bulky the better.

Is it so hard to employ a ship designer who actually likes Star Trek ships as they are, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel by creating more and more square ones. (not only in a figurative sense ;) )
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Will there be klingon/rom counterparts to this or just a fed treat?
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    insanerandomnesinsanerandomnes Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's a good day to be an engineer!

SHUT UP NOW AND TAKE MY MONEY!
    I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
    I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!

dark_dreadnaught_by_insane_randomness-d5z6ydl.jpg
  • Options
    proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    well you got to look at it like this starfleet has been on a war footing for a good while now so elegance might be taking a back seat to functional
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    The problem is there is only one flavor, which is cryptics ugly ships.
    They seem to be completely unable to create some Starfleet ships outside their (blocky) sceme. Their starfleet ships (especially crusiers) always look either deformed, blocky or made by a five year old.
    I haven't seen one sinlge Cryptic made Starfleet ship in the last 3 years, that looks really good or at least balanced and elegant.
    Cryptic seems to think the more Armor plates/angles and more bulky the better.

Is it so hard to employ a ship designer who actually likes Star Trek ships as they are, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel by creating more and more square ones. (not only in a figurative sense ;) )

This is true make awesome cars :O.. like speed racer ><..Since its star trek awesome ships XD rofl
  • Options
    arvistaljikarvistaljik Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Any chance she might be coming with a custom bridge or interior?

That or allow us to use the Aquarius bridge on her. I don't think anything else would really be appropriate.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    proteus22 wrote: »
    well you got to look at it like this starfleet has been on a war footing for a good while now so elegance might be taking a back seat to functional
    The federation has been at many wars, for example the GCS was built in wartime and no one felt the urge to make it look like a medieval battering ram.

The problem is Cryptic tries to turn Starfleet into a generic human space navy, completely ignoring that military is just a small part of Starfleets field of activity.

Cryptic only tries to make Starfleet ships look as "cool" as possible without even understanding what these ships are about.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    inexpugnabilisinexpugnabilis Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yuck, a typical fugly design by Cryptic! I agree with everything yreodred said. Please, take a look at the ASDB page and SCN forum's starship design board and take a few pointers from Bernd Schneider and other talented folks there. You're producing 1337 kewl turbo ultra mega ships, not starships. Try scaling down the uber-kewlness factor and making them more Starfleet. If you're assuming that all of your customers are fanboys in want of a phallic compensator, then your marketing department has failed miserably.
    _______this line is here because Imperfect World's forum can't separate the signature from the post_______

Cryptic's professionalism
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    I guess my computer has a leak.

https://twitter.com/PWE_BranFlakes/status/387343649832316929

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why such a small navigational deflector? Can we get an option to another type to put on it? Other than that. I'm loving the ship.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Is that also its unique hull texture or is it just a standard one?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

sorry but looking at that I will not buy it :( , was hoping for so much more :(
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is it just me or does the squareness make it look like it is built of LEGOs?
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I honestly think it's ugly...

Actually, I dislike each and every new original Federation design released ever since Captain Logan left Cryptic. Regent, Armitage, Chimera, Avenger, Vesta variants (excluding Vesta itself) - all look bulky, blocky or flat... I really miss the design style of all the older refits, such as Gladius, Thunderchild, Venture, Sao Paulo or Bellerophon.
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    It's not just you.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »

I'm not seeing it in this picture, are you? https://twitter.com/PWE_BranFlakes/status/387350583973117953

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm not seeing it in this picture, are you? https://twitter.com/PWE_BranFlakes/status/387350583973117953

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thankfully the top doesn't look all blocky like the front of the secondary hull or the bottom of the saucer.

I guess every ship has that one ugly angle.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That looks like a cool ship, and nothing "Lego-ish" about it. Though Lego-ish isn't a real word. :)
  • Options
    raythilo2345raythilo2345 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    it looks ok to me...not the best looking ship design though
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

can we have a decent sized pic please branflakes ;)
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The ventral side of the saucer has, unfortunately, large flat surface areas, which doesn't make it look like an interesting side to see, compared to let's say the Intrepid-class. When you combine that with the thick looking pylons from the front, and the different design for the deflector array, it makes the ship not particularly visually interesting or appealing.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    eh...

If it were free, I'd give it a try...

But it's not something I really like and most likely won't buy it.

I wish the devil You Folks would out-source the Federation ship designs to the people who have been creating them for the last twenty or so years...

IMO..., Eaves, Drexler and their ilk, really have a much better handle on how Trek ships should appear.

Of the last few Star Fleet ships to appear in game, IMO, only the Vesta has been outstanding and we all know that came from outside the company.

Sorry Cryptic Ship-Guys, but you really don't have the touch (IMO).

While the primary hull is somewhat appealing, the secondary hull is just too blocky which overall ruins the image integrity of the ship. (again IMO)

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    @daveyny Opinions, man.

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So far I'm liking the ship. With these new views. Love how it has cannons sticking out of the saucer to give it a mean look. It has that "Don't mess with me" attitude. After I saw the pic with the weapons 5 front and 3 rear. I already have thought how to make use of it. I see a killer set up waiting to be used.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.