What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crystalline Cataclysm

Comments

• Options
    justtray25justtray25 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Im sure the premade elitists and trolls will be back here any moment to apologize for being objectively wrong that the instance was not bugged....

Theres nothing worse in MMOs than nerds who feel like everyone in PUGS should be as genius as they are in perfect gear while peeing in bottles in their parents basement playing 12 hours per day
  • Options
    vagiusvagius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    justtray25 wrote: »
    Im sure the premade elitists and trolls will be back here any moment to apologize for being objectively wrong that the instance was not bugged....

Theres nothing worse in MMOs than nerds who feel like everyone in PUGS should be as genius as they are in perfect gear while peeing in bottles in their parents basement playing 12 hours per day

I always pug CCE, and haven't had an instance where I did not finish yet. Why do it with DPS11k people when I can pug it and always get first place loot drops?

I don't think anyone is denying that the event is not working as intended, Bort said that himself in this thread. I think a bigger issue is under-equipped or under-skilled players demanding that an elite version be nerfed because it is too difficult for them. You can get your shard in normal if elite is too hard.

Borticus has already stated that the MU spawns and aggro issues will be fixed - complaining about that is really now a moot point. The issue now is more "once that has been completed, will elite be too easy?" my opinion is YES.

My suggestion would be to leave normal alone (after the MU aggro/spawn fixes ofc) but for elite, have the Tholians respawn upon each phase like they used to, and take the kid gloves off the entity - make it kill us if we make a mistake! If there is no MU spam to worry about, elite is easier than normal used to be.

Currently this game offers no challenge for players such as myself (and I know a bunch of people that are better at this game than me!), with CCE still being in a bit of flux it's a great opportunity for cryptic to give the elite players something challenging, while still offering the same reward to everyone via awarding shards for completing normal.

TL;DR - sure, fix it, but make elite harder in some other way, because this entire game is a cakewalk for those who know how it all works
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So for todays run I decided id do normal and see what the fuss is about.

After doing normal on my main - LOL

It is just as hard as elite right now.

No wonder people are pitching this loud of a fit. Normal is borked to hell guys.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vagius wrote: »

Currently this game offers no challenge for players such as myself (and I know a bunch of people that are better at this game than me!), with CCE still being in a bit of flux it's a great opportunity for cryptic to give the elite players something challenging, while still offering the same reward to everyone via awarding shards for completing normal.

TL;DR - sure, fix it, but make elite harder in some other way, because this entire game is a cakewalk for those who know how it all works

PvE will always have problem challenging good players who know the mission and have good gear. Right now the most challenging is PvP. In PvE the best way to get a challenge is to take of the top gear and use lower tier ships and lower grade gear.

Yep and it will remain that way if someone knows how it works. The only possible thing they can do to change that is make a lot of random things that can happen and then have those random things randomly happen.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I have nothing to apologize for. Every post I have made has been prefixed with "until bort fixes X" it is possible to do "Y"

So dont call us out expecting some kind of placation, that will not happen.

I swear some of you people only seem to ever post around here to try to nose down on those of us who already knew this stuff.

Check the thread, go well back into it, I had been saying exactly what he said. Derp. Especially in other threads since he only said it here.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • Options
    vagiusvagius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yep and it will remain that way if someone knows how it works. The only possible thing they can do to change that is make a lot of random things that can happen and then have those random things randomly happen.

This is exactly why I like the new CCE event, it is somewhat random, but entirely too easy (with the exception of MU spam - that's fun!). I'm hoping this idea is taken further with upcoming content
  • Options
    marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vagius wrote: »
    This is exactly why I like the new CCE event, it is somewhat random, but entirely too easy (with the exception of MU spam - that's fun!). I'm hoping this idea is taken further with upcoming content

It might be fun now but after a wile it will get old.
  • Options
    dunmovyndunmovyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's possible to win - it's not a 5 min job, either. Why expect everything in game to be over and get a reward in 5 minutes?

Ever notice your ship won't point straight up and down? Neither will a MU ship.

Get above or below, away from the MU's, and you can get in range of the Crystal, and fire in relative safety.

Their cannons and dual beams firing on you are then reduced, you last longer if sighted.

Know thyne enemy. It applies here too.

Use no Aoe, blast the crystal from above or below, and get your shard.

Half the battle is planning.
  • Options
    captainkeatzcaptainkeatz Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's possible. Unless people TRIBBLE it up from the get go. When I finish the loading screen and can already see the first rainbow heroes blasting at will into the pack, I'll just drop group.

Sure, it's not hard to adapt. For the individuum. The collective's initial response to anything, -especially- if it's tightly grouped like that is to AoE it down. And with maybe 1% of players actually reading the forums, there's also no decent chance of spreading this particular bit of information.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2013

It is bugged..... there's a lot of unintentional things happening.... that being said, it's also not impossible to complete even with those unintentional things happening when you know how to not trigger them.... that is called adaptation.... realizing your present tactics do not work and then adjusting accordingly. Those that blaze in all cannons blaring at anything that has a hostile tag on it...... is typically not a good idea anywhere.
  • Options
    wixibanwixiban Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How can this not be broken - this is just normal CE

http://i.imgur.com/y8IOSPu.jpg
    Wixiban.png
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited September 2013
    wixiban wrote: »

Just posted this in the wrong thread:

This is CC NORMAL in the first 2 min max: How many mirror ships?

http://imageshack.com/a/img34/6154/gjn2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    wixiban wrote: »

Yours highlights the BIGGEST trend right now in STO - warping out on the event when this happens!! I see only 2 left on your team.
  • Options
    thedodgehopperthedodgehopper Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I logged in and cleared 18 of these yesterday before I went to bed. I agree that the worse part is the spawn. It appears to only spawn at the beginning or the end (based on my an other fleet mates observations). If it starts at the beginning it is rather obnoxious, and the only way I've seen it cleared is if the team zergs the Entity. THe problem I've found is that the only machine I've got functioning right now is an antique, and my graphics are terrible. Because of this, I can't see the CE unless i'm within 5km of the entity or less when the massive amounts of Terrans are about. Its not impossible, I've slugged it out, and eventually you get people on the team who know what they need to do. However, it is definitely rough, and from a lag perspective it is pretty bad.

I'd also to like to add, since the thread was closed due to its oldness (never paid attention to this before). Some wisenheimer felt the need to scold me for having multiple accounts. I have no idea what gave him the notion I have multiple accounts. So to answer Starmanj's claims I simply want to say: I'm at character max, which is 49 characters. Before free to play I purchased every single race with real dollars. Before Free to play I was at the old character max and a few left over in the hopes of a Romulan faction. I have a character for just about every occassion, and I have main characters. In events I like to acquire the special goodies as much as possible, though I"ve started to limit this. Doffs are different, and I make sure to get Dr. Sibak for instance on everything. I paid for every character slot I have. The point I was making is that when you get enough characters you're trying to shuffle it is very difficult to time these missions so that you can clear it all. I'm not concerned about the difficulty of it, but scheduling issues. Some missions take longer than others, and that spread in time begins to expand and make things complicated. A better system would simply let you get one shard within a 24 hour period at a time. For Example: at 11:30 pm I earn a shard on Bob the Engineer. At 12:01 I earn another shard, but can't til the next day. This is what I'd like to see for this (and every) event, if you're going to gate content it would be a lot nicer if it were done this way. As it stands its a logistical nightmare.
  • Options
    thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is event is hilarious......and Cryptic's response even more so...

All the different variants of CEN or CEE.....some with Tholians, some with only Terran Emp. ships.....I thought my game had just wigged out or something.....

My favorite so far has been - A big a$$ dark cloud that I could not see through at all - with the ENTIRE Terran Fleet in a 30km cube, with the Entity in the center of the same cube(I'm only guessing 'cause I can't actually see it), with < 10 players.....couldn't even tell what I was targeting..............like I said hilarious.......I haven't laughed this hard in a long time...well done....
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    thumpyecho wrote: »
    This is event is hilarious......and Cryptic's response even more so...

All the different variants of CEN or CEE.....some with Tholians, some with only Terran Emp. ships.....I thought my game had just wigged out or something.....

My favorite so far has been - A big a$$ dark cloud that I could not see through at all - with the ENTIRE Terran Fleet in a 30km cube, with the Entity in the center of the same cube(I'm only guessing 'cause I can't actually see it), with < 10 players.....couldn't even tell what I was targeting..............like I said hilarious.......I haven't laughed this hard in a long time...well done....

Yah man, its a totally trololol ability. In my bop i was like.... ok so now i cant shoot you but you still cant shoot me. is this even a fight anymore?

lolz
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I like it. The MU variant is not a whole lot different from Starbase 24, and you learn quickly not to be sitting on the starbase when the battleships warp in don't you?

The one i was in had 1 leaver on my team, dunno how many on the other side. Was on my KDF tac in a Raptor :eek:. Took forever to get the entity to 66, at which point the normal shockwave killed 0 MU ships :rolleyes: .

But the rifts were closed, and our infinite respawns eventually worked to our advantage.

Interested to see what happens with the fixes. If MU ships attack the entity really, that's just a free win for everyone, I'd have to think the numbers we're seeing would make short work outta the windchime.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's crazy and can't be finished especially as half your team warp out.

ydbswEE.jpg

ctwVeAd.jpg

yeah that's how I find it to be also.
  • Options
    fhbradleyfhbradley Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So for todays run I decided id do normal and see what the fuss is about.

After doing normal on my main - LOL

It is just as hard as elite right now.

No wonder people are pitching this loud of a fit. Normal is borked to hell guys.

Thanks. I only had a problem with the normal one. I'm fine with elite giving a challenge to the best.
    That said, a lot of posters were saying that the problem is the normal one, and others answered "don't play elite."
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,397 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The situation would be great for a "Show your most ridiculous situation in Crystalline Cataclysm!" contest. Come on, Cryptic, take the opportunity!

Not seen: some dozens of the enemy ships behind mine, patiently waiting at the spawn point to butcher me once I'm down, while butchering the rest of the team.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The situation would be great for a "Show your most ridiculous situation in Crystalline Cataclysm!" contest. Come on, Cryptic, take the opportunity!

Not seen: some dozens of the enemy ships behind mine, patiently waiting at the spawn point to butcher me once I'm down, while butchering the rest of the team.

I will try - I have been in some with 200 ships - rifts and black balls - you could not see teammates or even the entity until point blank range!! Just a massive wall of orange terran ship names and orange phaser fire than lite up the map. Should have screen shotted those - was too busy.
  • Options
    havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    a unwinnable situation.

I've done it several times now, it's very winnable. It sucks and you die alot, but don't be a quitter eh, that has more to do with your failure than the MU ships.
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I had a good one today just doing the Normal one, My team bailed out me, leaving me all a lone. So many Ships shooting at me LOL even after re-spawning I couldn't leave myself. I was stuck in there for another 10 mins then I finally got out. To many enemy ships this way to much. I think you really need to reduce the amount of ships. Also stop the screen interference bad on eyes, and unhide the entity from that cloud out there.
  • Options
    pantero44pantero44 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    The name-calling was totally uncalled for. (Where's that report-button when you need it?)

And even *I* can do them. At first I went "Defuq!? This is undoable!" too. Then I simply adapted, and now I'm fine. And I don't have ungodly DPS, like some PvP gods here. I just don't try and aggro the entire room any more (something I actually picked up a long time ago, playing EVE, when dying means you lose your hundreds of millions ship... for ever).

Honestly, peeps need to get themselves out of automatic pilot, mentally. You can't cruise these; and take your FAW out of your auto-cycle (shouldn't be in there, to begin with). It's still a bit harder than regular CCE; but not overly so. And the Entity itself, indeed, seems weaker: it just takes about as long to kill her as before; but that's because ppl allow themselves to focus too much on the Mirror ships.

I suspect, within a few days, the vast majority of Elite-gangers will have adapted, and ppl will look back and wonder what the fuss was all about.

On the whole, I just can't muster much sympathy for those calling for a nerf/emergency fix, etc. Work for your 50,000 Dilithium!

I COULDN'T of agreed with you MORE! Well said.

NOW, to add to this "pond-post of puke and regurgitation", EVERYONE(except for those that have completed the encounter) needs to just simply take a moment and assess the encounter as you go along. It's a simple matter of "adjusting, adapting, and conquering"; plain and simple. Whilst, YES, I will agree, along with the Devs, stating, that the encounter has some bugs, it DOES NOT MEAN , it is not "doable". In FACT, IT IS! Even with all the issues, YOU, and your teammates, MUST first realize the situations at hand and adjust to the ever changing environment. Life will be SO MUCH easier if you do. And, "assuming", that MOST have read a good portion of this post, you'll find some tips and answers to some of your current "dilemmas", in dealing with the encounter.

THIS IS A CALL OUT TO THE DEVS!!!

I'm adding this thread, NOT to add to the "moaning and whining" of the encounter itself(quite frankly, I started to become nauseous myself in trying to cipher through muck of the threads, so my apologies if I missed someone posting the same issue I encountered) ,but to add to the other MAJOR issue, which IS the fact that the "reward" system is failing in this encounter(though, there have been many other cases I've come across with others, like myself, having witnessed this, in other encounters).

Apparently, after dealing with the insanity of this encounter, I quickly realized that you MAY, or MAY NOT, receive a "Reward" for accomplishing the event. WHAT GIVES Devs!? NOTHING is MORE discerning to a player, who has worked their way thru an event to find at the end of it, that your accomplishment goes UNREWARDED, for doing so. There has been quite a few mentioned situations(by teammates and Fleeties) that some have gotten a ridiculous amount of either Dil, or Marks, etc., and others have gotten "siltch..zero...nada..NOTHING!" In MY case, , several times, I placed in the top 3 positions, and received NOTHING! I EVEN made SURE that I searched the area for the reward module, and NOTHING! Tho, I have noticed, that THIS particular issue MAY be due to the fact that the encounter STILL continues once you've defeated the Crystalline Entity, and you have a bunch of enemy ships still active and enganged with players, resulting in the elapsed encounter timer forcing you EITHER to be "warped out" or defeat the remaining ships, resulting in either situation, to NOT receive a "reward".

I think that this issue should ALSO be in the list of "TOP PRIORITIES", to be handled, IF you want the community to acknowlegde ANY success of this event.
    Intel Core i7-4790k@4.6GHz/ PNY GTX 770 XLR8 Enthusiast Edition 4GB OC / ASUS Maximus VII HERO / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3-2133-CL11D-16GBXL / SAMSUNG 840 PRO Series 256GB SSD/OCZ Vector Series 120GBx2(Ext.240GB)/SEAGATE ST2000DM001 2TB HHD / Corsair H110 / FSU Aurum CM 750W(Gold) / PHANTEKS Enthoo Pro / HDMI 32" & 22"x1920x1080p / Windows 8.1 / 120mbps/10mbps
  • Options
    zztopperszztoppers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    pantero44 wrote: »
    I COULDN'T of agreed with you MORE! Well said.

NOW, to add to this "pond-post of puke and regurgitation", EVERYONE(except for those that have completed the encounter) needs to just simply take a moment and assess the encounter as you go along. It's a simple matter of "adjusting, adapting, and conquering"; plain and simple. Whilst, YES, I will agree, along with the Devs, stating, that the encounter has some bugs, it DOES NOT MEAN , it is not "doable". In FACT, IT IS! Even with all the issues, YOU, and your teammates, MUST first realize the situations at hand and adjust to the ever changing environment. Life will be SO MUCH easier if you do. And, "assuming", that MOST have read a good portion of this post, you'll find some tips and answers to some of your current "dilemmas", in dealing with the encounter.

OK! there is only one fatal flaw in what you say. Here's my question to you. Are you going to tell everyone when starting a pug in the about .7 seconds it takes when you start a mission before everyone start to kill everything because they think its the right thing to do. How long after STFs are released or changed before every noob or person who has played it multiple times or even just the person who is playing the mission for the first time. All of whom are blameless in what they are doing.

Here's why I tried about four rimes four times telling everyone can we agree not to shoot the aggro mirror ships. I only once in four mission got a response from one person that they agreed. I tried different combination if what I said above to no avail. There simply is not enough time to tell everyone to do this or that. The aggro is there its in real time with almost zero chance of success all the time. I don't have time to waste trying to teach everyone how to play a time sensitive limited event mission that I may or may not be able to finish. The aggro is way to fast and way to many people simply do not communicate. In most instance you are not going to have success with this event period. Until or unless they change something in the mission. If you can figure out a way to tell everyone not to aggro. Then I would agree with you its OK for ow leave it as it is.

Since that NOT going to happen. The only fix for this is a patch or a change in the mission. I hope they announce a fix for this is in the works. Or this is going to be the longest most failed event in STO history!
  • Options
    mandarsmashmandarsmash Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1) Make Normal easier for people who find it too hard.

2) Keep Elite the way it is.

3) Make sure rewards drop reliably.

4) Extend the event a few more days to make up for this nonsense.

Seriously, regardless of Normal or Elite, once some people who don't know what they're doing start aggroing all the MU ships, more often than not it's over. So unless you're lucky enough to be in a group where everyone knows what to do, there's probably a 75% chance that you're just going to die repeatedly and hopefully people will get it through their noggins to shoot the CE, as the event is, after all named after it. The MU ships and the CE also don't destroy each other, which has to be a bug. I think I'd be fine with all of this if the MU ships attacked CE as much as the players. Especially if the players didn't aggro them.

The last time I played and saw that it already turned into a cluster****, I decided to cloak and observe, and the MU ships almost never attack the CE, and the CE does not seem to attack the MU ships at all.

A suggestion for Normal: make the rifts disappear after spawning a few ships so it's not endless. On Elite, it gives a good challenge, and that's good. But as it is, there are a whole lot of people who just don't get it, even after their umpteenth try, and they're spoiling the fun for others with their, let's be frank, incompetent play.

Hey, it's okay to have incompetent players in this game. There's also a lot of people who only play casually. That's all good. But that means where the base game difficulty is fine for them, a Normal difficulty CE as it is is going to baffle them. And unfortunately, when it comes to this incarnation of CE, if even one player screws up badly enough, it can make the whole mission nigh impossible for others.

Make Normal easy enough for everybody to finish, at least eventually. Infinite MU spawns are a very bad idea for base difficulty. Especially when even in Normal, they're spawning at equal level when even the Tholians and the Entity itself are level capped below a fully levelled character.

Again, for those who love the challenge, leave Elite as it is.
  • Options
    tinnydancertinnydancer Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    No seriously, ****ing fix it!
  • Options
    aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dear Cryptic Developers,

Please hire REAL game developers who actually know how to design game content. Throwing more and more and more and more at players is NOT challenging content. Rehashing old stuff is not new content.

Sincerely,
    A disgruntled, paying customer