test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crystalline Cataclysm

marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
OMG so many Mirror Universe ships in their dam.
Post edited by marshalericdavid on

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This can't be possible. I'm playing one now (just died), there's got to be close to 30 (or more) Terran ships here, can't even get close to the Entity.

...and since when was the Crystalline Entity on good terms with the Terran Empire? Shouldn't they kind of be shooting at each other too?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, the post on the front page, the one that says the event is live and posts the updated rewards, also briefly mentions that the Entity uses new tactics.
    Then conveniently says that these tactics will be talked about in another post.
    All in all, that is kind of a bum deal. People are queuing up for this updated event and getting mobbed by attack tactics that they have no real way to combat. The number of Terran Empire ships is literally overwhelming, and so far, there's no heads-up on how to deal with this development.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
    edited September 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    The number of Terran Empire ships is literally overwhelming, and so far, there's no heads-up on how to deal with this development.
    I don't think there is a way, honestly. My guess is that the Dev Team gave this what they thought was a bit of a buff, which in turn became overkill.

I challenge the Dev Team to complete this (with video evidence). I'm in a run now (died again) and the entity has recovered a good 1/3rd it's health. Any ship that gets close doesn't stick around long enough before it's blown apart (again) by the Terran ships.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I saw the Entity do something that messed up mini map. The screen was was like being hit with Anti-Matter Spread.

I think they could reduce the amount of Mirror Ships a little just so many causing a little bit of lagging.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ive completed it 3 times with 3 characters with the MU ships spawning, and on the one time i was unlucky enough to even get them to spawn through both phases.

The trick to it is for the entire team to focus all firepower on the entity itself right from the start, until it goes into its next phase and the rifts despawn.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2013
    Are you 100% certain that the Terran ships are not firing on the Tholians or CE, and not being chased by Fragments? That would be different than what was observed during local testing.

If left to their own devices, a good portion of the Terran ships are likely to end up aiding players against the Crystalline Entity. Unless something has gone wrong.

If everything is working as originally intended, then one potential 'solution' for this phase (if it appears - it doesn't always) is to ease off on the use of AOE abilities like Cannon Scatter Volley, Beam Fire-at-Will, Photonic Shockwave, Tractor Beam Repulsors, etc. Unless, of course, you WANT every nearby ship shooting at you, instead of one another...
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My last 2 playthroughs I have noticed a distinct LACK of Tholian ships, there might be some initially in phase I, but that would be the last time I see them.
    edited September 2013
    Are you 100% certain that the Terran ships are not firing on the Tholians or CE, and not being chased by Fragments? That would be different than what was observed during local testing.

If left to their own devices, a good portion of the Terran ships are likely to end up aiding players against the Crystalline Entity. Unless something has gone wrong.
    If I go in by Cloak (alone) there is no weapons fire. The Entity doesn't fire at the Terran Ships, and the Terran Ships don't fire at the Entity. Both fire at me as soon as I decloak however. Shortly after that I'm back to respawning.
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited September 2013

If everything is working as originally intended, then one potential 'solution' for this phase (if it appears - it doesn't always) is to ease off on the use of AOE abilities like Cannon Scatter Volley, Beam Fire-at-Will, Photonic Shockwave, Tractor Beam Repulsors, etc. Unless, of course, you WANT every nearby ship shooting at you, instead of one another...

the event that I was in, that failed BTW, the terran ships never stopped spawning till my screen was full and I lagged out. I never saw them attacking the CE, they only attacked the players...even when everyone died they just flew around never attacking the CE.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited September 2013

The terran ships that spawn are the same ones that spawn from the tholian warp core breech... they register as tholian npcs.

That said... This "Mirror Invasion" beats the old one with the stadi :P
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited September 2013
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    the event that I was in, that failed BTW, the terran ships never stopped spawning till my screen was full and I lagged out. I never saw them attacking the CE they only attacked the players...even when everyone died they just flew around never attacking the CE.
    I've just quit out of my run too. It wasn't going anywhere. I can confirm though that the Terran Ships do not fire on the Entity.
  • vagiusvagius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    really?

I was sort of disappointed that elite is so much easier now than it was yesterday. sure there's a bunch of tyken's rifts spewing mirror ships, but the tholians don't respawn and the CE seems to have lost it's teeth.

I don't think my hull dipped below 90% in my fleet Dhelan while sitting stationary 2k from the entity blasting away.

If you find it THAT hard, it's likely because nobody is debuffing it in your instance, or you don't know how to defend against it properly
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can't say that I have seen Mirror Universe ships attack the entity and I can't say I have seen the entity attack Mirror Universe ships.
    edited September 2013
    vagius wrote: »
    I was sort of disappointed that elite is so much easier now than it was yesterday. sure there's a bunch of tyken's rifts spewing mirror ships, but the tholians don't respawn and the CE seems to have lost it's teeth.
    The Tholian ships might not respawn, but the Terran ones do, and when you've got 30 (or more) of them blasting away at you before you get within 8km of the Entity you don't last long.

It's possible you were grouped with several people who had the best gear available, and knew exactly how to hit and when, but for everyone else, this mission is currently impossible. The game I was in wasn't winnable. There were too many Terran Ships, an ever regenerating Entity and not enough of us.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Focus on entity. Don't use Aoe....
    I see most players not doing that, therefore, getting smack down by the terran.

There should be a dev blog explaining this...
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
    edited September 2013
    The Terran Ships and Entity don't fire at each other though.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dont no if its related or not but i just spent 45min trying to do the conduit elite,,,,,joke,,,,took me 10min to kill a sphere with purple xii everything,,,,bailed out in the end and that's a first,,
    going to try others to see if they are all like it.

no wonder it took so long to kill anything no bridge officers again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they must have gone for lunch..
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited September 2013
    Elite is easier - and don't take this as a complaint.

Avoid the tykens rifts behind the entity, stay tight and focused in front of the CE and she drops hard and fast.

The addition of the rifts is a nice idea - quite scary until you realize any EU vessel left standing gets wiped out at 66 and 33%.
  • vagiusvagius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Elite is easier - and don't take this as a complaint.

Avoid the tykens rifts behind the entity, stay tight and focused in front of the CE and she drops hard and fast.

The addition of the rifts is a nice idea - quite scary until you realize any EU vessel left standing gets wiped out at 66 and 33%.

^ this, except with me you can take it as a complaint. There is already a lack of "elite" challenge content as it is.
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited September 2013
    With constant respawn!! Are You friggin kidding me?? There were like 20 Battleships there!! On top of the shards and the entity!!

That's a 5 to 1 mirror ship advantage - IF every player is active!!
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    99 mirror ships on the map
    99 mirror ships
    You take one down, respawn at the start
    98 mirror ships on the map

etc...
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited September 2013

We don't have time for your facts and your reasonable, thought-out adaptation to circumstances on the ground! Can't you see that this is the time for panicking because something is different?!?
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    actually if I could log in I would still wanna try it ROFL
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Interestingly, I think there's TWO versions of that last part. I dealt with one where, on the last phase, you're warned about increasing Tyken's Rifts, but no Mirror Ships.
  • embrosilembrosil Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ive completed it 3 times with 3 characters with the MU ships spawning, and on the one time i was unlucky enough to even get them to spawn through both phases.

The trick to it is for the entire team to focus all firepower on the entity itself right from the start, until it goes into its next phase and the rifts despawn.

And that is the problem. First thing is do not aggro them at all and then concentrate on the entity. However I tried three times, spend an hour and in every single instance I got total cretins who aggroed them and then shot them even with zone chat full of SHOOT THE ENTITY and DO NOT SHOOT MIRROR SHIPS. I am sorry, the mission itself looks nice, but as long as it is not idiot proof, all that matters is a luck in whether you get people with brains or, like me, people who have head only so the rain does not drop in their chest...
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Okay, wow! Let's see now.

Managed to beat elite mode on my sci first try. It was crazy, but doable.

Mirror ships...mirror ships EVERYWHERE. But no Tholians. Where did they go?

Also the mirror ships most definitely do not shoot at the CE. They only shoot at us. There's no Tholians to shoot at, so that just leaves us.

Beat it a few times on normal mode with my weaker characters and found that there are two different versions. One with MU spam and one without. The one without MU ships is stupid easy. Like kill the CE in a few minutes easy. The one with MU spam is alright, but again there's no Tholians and the MU ships don't shoot the CE.

Not sure if I like or hate this yet.

Edit: Tholians are showing up in the non-MU spam version though. It seems to be either Tholians or MU, but not both at once.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1 word - SPAM!

So much NPC spam that you can't even get to the stupid CE! WHO WAS THE @#$@ WHO THOUGHT TO CHANGE THE EVENT? :mad:

AND THEN YOU GOT ALL THOSE EVENT MOOCHERS WHO ARENT EVEN PARTICPATING! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Even if it's not working as intended, as long as it's not totally impossible, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase don't nerf it.

Blowing up every once in a while is good for players.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited September 2013

The Terran Empire ships seem to prioritize PC ships before any others, often to the point of not bothering with the Entity or Tholian Ships at all. But more often than not, they will not engage neither the Entity or any nearby Tholians, and just solely focus on Player ships. Even if there are no nearby Players, the Terran Empire ships seem to leave the Entity be.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    The Terran Empire ships seem to prioritize PC ships before any others, often to the point of not bothering with the Entity or Tholian Ships at all. But more often than not, they will not engage neither the Entity or any nearby Tholians, and just solely focus on Player ships. Even if there are no nearby Players, the Terran Empire ships seem to leave the Entity be.

I noticed quite a few of the 'un aggroed' mirror universe ships just sat at their spawn point, the entity ignored them, they ignored the entity, (using the M map key and looking at which ships are pointed north is a give away to test this)
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.