test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

dStahl Talks Voyager

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Malon vessels sound like they'd fit the space whale arechetype. Hmm... their most interesting feature was being able to broadside torpedos.

Mmm.... WANT! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Was thinking about this post and wanted to say I think having a FULL new playable race would be best if we are doing Voyager cultures and Delta quadrant.

But I ask the community. What species has had a good fleshing out in the series to be a full species to lead the way for Delta quadrant content(since you will likely be stuck there most of the time and unable to easily get to Sol or Qo'Nos areas)? THAT is the species we should look into developing first instead of the Borg.

It has to be someone Voyager has been able to work with multiple times and could be the good guys for the non-KDF players or those who don't like double crossers like the Ferengi.
    edited September 2013
    Was thinking about this post and wanted to say I think having a FULL new playable race would be best if we are doing Voyager cultures and Delta quadrant.

But I ask the community. What species has had a good fleshing out in the series to be a full species to lead the way for Delta quadrant content(since you will likely be stuck there most of the time and unable to easily get to Sol or Qo'Nos areas)? THAT is the species we should look into developing first instead of the Borg.

It has to be someone Voyager has been able to work with multiple times and could be the good guys for the non-KDF players or those who don't like double crossers like the Ferengi.
    Well, this is probably about enemy races, the only thing these six races have in common is that they've all attacked Voyager at least once.

Talaxians and Ocampans would make nice ally races. Um, I can't think of any other races they met more than once that were friendly.

EDIT: on second thought, the KDF would be much more likely to negotiate with the Kazon losers than Janeway was.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • emilraschemilrasch Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Its sounds very great, its great that you develop the game, but i think i could be good now also, to have some more misssions in the game where you can use, all the good stuff you make, the game lack a little with missions, and maybe under foundry missions, make a section for only farming mission. For me its important, that there is variaty in all of the game, therefore i hope, you will not only make stuff about one race from the delta qudrent, be course then all the people, who likes other races will be left out, somewhat. The thing i know people liked most about voyager, was all the deffirent, cultures, and wayes to do things.

One other things wich could be cool, was to make it possible to make voices when making a foundry mission, I know from when I make music in fl studio, that its not that defficult, you can actiully make it sound like some one from Star Trek, the only thing the maker has to do is to write the words, its basically what I do in FL anyway :) .

There are so much potential for making damn good mission from the delta qudrent, therefore it could be nice, if also the foundry mission maker was updated, so it could make mission like in the intro, where there are speak, and maybe also vidio, dont have to be much, but just an introducktion to the race and then you could make it possible for the maker, to make speak, to the video, wich is self chocen.
    edited September 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    The Talaxians committed mass suicide because of Neelix
    no they didn't.
    as the Ocampans died of stupid biology that doesnt make sense.
    Nope. :P
    The Klingons do not negotiate
    Tell that to Azetbur, preferably from outside arm's reach....
    and the Kazons are the second worthless race right above Ocampans (as still being alive), there is nothing thay can offer the Klingon Empire outside wasting perfectly fine air that would better used for Targs.
    Actually, it'd be faster to build a starbase in the deltaquadrant if you used a Kazon one as a starting point and simply retrofitted it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It would be neat if the Talaxians replaced the Ferengi in the Delta Quadrant.
  • teyus83teyus83 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ok, I like Voyager the most and to be honest I would absolutely love it if they opened up the Borg as a playable race. It would be awesome to command a cube or a sphere but it would also be really neat if the Queen of the Borg or even the Borg in general had experimental ships available.

So I say make the Borg a playable race.
  • ccmurphyccmurphy Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    teyus83 wrote: »
    Ok, I like Voyager the most and to be honest I would absolutely love it if they opened up the Borg as a playable race. It would be awesome to command a cube or a sphere but it would also be really neat if the Queen of the Borg or even the Borg in general had experimental ships available.

So I say make the Borg a playable race.

i love Voyager to, but i have to say this, NO PLAYABLE BORG RACE. you thought the D'd's were big, cubes were even larger. it does not fit into lore, the Borg are controlled by one person or thing the queen, sto is about free thinking, controlling the ship yourself, not the queen. though you might say liberated Borg, that were seen in voyager. the problem is there are only a hand full of ships that were fully taken over, by now the queen would have taken them out.
    edited September 2013
    Memory Alpha doesn't have any details for some odd reason, but did find this a few minutes ago: http://www.ditl.org/pagship.php?ClassID=mismalon&ListID=Weapons
    But not even that page mentions WHAT they did during various episode and the weapons you or i have mentioned, or have been seen in the episodes.

But I agree. The idea of a seemingly non-threatening ship to be able to damage other ships with a volley or specialized charges. I mean, look at at it!! The design itself is pretty cool :cool:
    I think remember it firing a broadside of those spacial charges, but the MA page doesn't mention the angle they were fired at. Ah, here it is. The big Malon freighter was never seen firing ANY weapons. The smaller one was the one that fired Spatial Charges. It's interesting to note that these ships did not seem to have other weapons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2013
    In addition, this new Delta quadrant area should not be unlocked for anyone below 50 and here is why.

The beginning of this new character is started by having the player's chosen Fed, Klingon or Romulan greet their newly created character at a transwarp conduit. And after meeting with them like Voyager met with Neelix and other species in the show, you then take over that character and live their life from 1 to 50(or whatever the level cap is at the time). This achieves two goals. Provides a unique way of ensuring people don't rush into the new content without having familiarity with the game, and frees Cryptic from needing to make a tutorial like they didn't need to with the first version of the KDF.
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    In addition, this new Delta quadrant area should not be unlocked for anyone below 50 and here is why.

The beginning of this new character is started by having the player's chosen Fed, Klingon or Romulan greet their newly created character at a transwarp conduit. And after meeting with them like Voyager met with Neelix and other species in the show, you then take over that character and live their life from 1 to 50(or whatever the level cap is at the time). This achieves two goals. Provides a unique way of ensuring people don't rush into the new content without having familiarity with the game, and frees Cryptic from needing to make a tutorial like they didn't need to with the first version of the KDF.

What about making this 50+ which they open up another 10-15 tier and you get sent to the DQ as level 50 but you essentially start out at that level but you have to gain another 10-15 in tiers or ranks? They need to do away with the entire ranking anyhow and this would make or provide a good opportunity to allowing us to level up another 15 ranks per se.
    edited September 2013
    No one has commented on the Vawtwa (dragon teeth) which had those interstellar corridors that would provide for easy manner of getting to the DQ and back per se. As well, while the DQ has alot of species to choose from, id like to know what happened to the Klingon's that were found int he DQ, the planet that Voyager left them on, i bet it is flourishing planet and empire by now? It would make for an interesting twist on the AQ Klingons and the DQ Klingon's.

Cheers,

F
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    I would totally shoot some Ocampans in the face.

Just sayin'.

>.>

The thing is - Cryptic won't let you do it, just like they don't let you dismiss Tovan Khev.
    To expand, the Kazon dont work for the KDF because their main opponents was not Voyager, no ... it was the Trabe that brings the main problem as the Federation would have backed neither, the whole Red vs Blue is just dumb to begin with, trying to keep the whole "us vs them" with a binary choice done a great deal of damage to the Romulans, extending it to everyone else is making the issue worst.

I agree with this completely. If the engine is really overstrained buy trying anything more than blue vs. red, that we really don't need aditional playable factions other than the ones we have now. Making the whole galaxy work on binary terms by adding more to the blue and red is just plain stupid IMHO, and it's as far from Star Trek as it can get.
    ccmurphy wrote: »
    i love Voyager to, but i have to say this, NO PLAYABLE BORG RACE. you thought the D'd's were big, cubes were even larger. it does not fit into lore, the Borg are controlled by one person or thing the queen, sto is about free thinking, controlling the ship yourself, not the queen. though you might say liberated Borg, that were seen in voyager. the problem is there are only a hand full of ships that were fully taken over, by now the queen would have taken them out.

I echo this statement completely. What I've been saying and what I think people fail to realize is that if there is ever such thing as playable borg (and I hope for the love of Trek it won't happen), those Borg will not be anything like the Borg you know and nothing like what the Borg fans would expect. They'd be like 1% Borg, which is a joke IMHO.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • sparcehvsparcehv Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Please NO!, No playable Borg indeed.

But i do agree on the lvl 50 cap before players can actually go to the DQ. Create a Coaxial Warp Drive / Core which you can buy at the Dili Mine with a cooldown of 24 hours or so.

And what about the The Kyrians, who were at war with the Vaskans? There is still some untold story there to explore.
    Captain of the federation starship U.S.S. Iridium.

In the end.... we`re all Ferengi!
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    For some reason, I would love to play as a Krenim or Hirogen. That would add a whole new attitude to get immersed into your character.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited September 2013
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    No one has commented on the Vawtwa (dragon teeth) which had those interstellar corridors that would provide for easy manner of getting to the DQ and back per se. As well, while the DQ has alot of species to choose from, id like to know what happened to the Klingon's that were found int he DQ, the planet that Voyager left them on, i bet it is flourishing planet and empire by now? It would make for an interesting twist on the AQ Klingons and the DQ Klingon's.

Cheers,

F
    like I said earlier.
    As for the Vaadwaur, someone speculated earlier that they aren't here because the devs have already decided to use them... It's a possibility I suppose, I guess we'll find out soon enough.
    Underspace definately has a lot of potential as a story element.

Anyways, I don't know if the devs are plannign to use Ocampans, but there are story angles that could have them as either enemies or allies for Feds or KDF.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • teyus83teyus83 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ccmurphy wrote: »

I do understand the Borg Queen commands the Borg but is it much different from the Federation in how we run missions now in game? We receive the missions and go and do them typically. I don't think it is far from the same but that is my viewpoint. That is my two cents. I do think though having a Borg type ship and crew would be nice.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    teyus83 wrote: »
    I do understand the Borg Queen commands the Borg but is it much different from the Federation in how we run missions now in game? We receive the missions and go and do them typically. I don't think it is far from the same but that is my viewpoint. That is my two cents. I do think though having a Borg type ship and crew would be nice.

What's next? Playable Cthulhu?
    Borg would suck as playable race. Have you guys absolutely no sense for atmosphere and immersion?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited September 2013
    What about making this 50+ which they open up another 10-15 tier and you get sent to the DQ as level 50 but you essentially start out at that level but you have to gain another 10-15 in tiers or ranks? They need to do away with the entire ranking anyhow and this would make or provide a good opportunity to allowing us to level up another 15 ranks per se.

They can't send our character because then your level 50+ would be STUCK there. Or at least you would not be able to get back "home" easily.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    What's next? Playable Cthulhu?
    Borg would suck as playable race. Have you guys absolutely no sense for atmosphere and immersion?
    Many have a strong sense for minmaxing and destroying everything in PvP. The Borg would be great for that.

I think the Kazon could work as a Delta Quad race - as NPCs only. For one thing, there's one group we could all agree it's okay to blow up by the hundreds as we fly through space...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited September 2013
    They can't send our character because then your level 50+ would be STUCK there. Or at least you would not be able to get back "home" easily.

Well, if that is the case then allow us to create a new character that is essentially stuck in the DQ. I dont necessary have a problem with that, something needs to change and this might be the best way to do it.
    edited September 2013
    Well, if that is the case then allow us to create a new character that is essentially stuck in the DQ. I dont necessary have a problem with that, something needs to change and this might be the best way to do it.

Don`t think that`s an option. You`ll create a second game with that.

• jjjjjjjj11111ffgjjjjjjjj11111ffg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vote The Hierarchy they look the best

:D:):cool:;)
    edited September 2013
    I think the greatest way to implement the DQ would be a real "colonization" theme.
    Feds and Klinks and Roms are going there and start a "Great Game" with conquest, diplomacy, manipulation, intimidation etc., just to gain a local foothold.

Quite funny - we would be for the DQ what the Dominion was for the AQ and the BQ. The foreign invaders. Fits perfectly with the constantly meddling Federation, and of course with the Klingons and even the Romulan Republic. The Romulans might want not to become the late commers regarding the expansion into a whole new area of space. Of course the Republic may have less ressources then team Red and Blue - but they have the Iconian Portal to the Dyson Sphere and who knows, maybe they are even able to consolidate power in the entirety of Romulan space, now that the Tal Shiar is done for. I can easily see the Imperial military accepting the Republic as the new government, after they reveal what Sela and Hakeev were up to.
    I would prefer to call the new nation Romulan Star Empire again, but I will settle for Republic right now...

The motivation for such a young state to expand again, to close the gap to the other two great powers would be great. Cryptic might even be able to bring back some classic Romulan traits and tone down the "good guys Republic" trope.
    I, for one, would love the Romulans to take portions of the DQ by subterfuge, manipulation, infiltration and cunning tactics.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited September 2013
    I think the greatest way to implement the DQ would be a real "colonization" theme.
    Feds and Klinks and Roms are going there and start a "Great Game" with conquest, diplomacy, manipulation, intimidation etc., just to gain a local foothold.

Quite funny - we would be for the DQ what the Dominion was for the AQ and the BQ. The foreign invaders. Fits perfectly with the constantly meddling Federation, and of course with the Klingons and even the Romulan Republic. The Romulans might want not to become the late commers regarding the expansion into a whole new area of space. Of course the Republic may have less ressources then team Red and Blue - but they have the Iconian Portal to the Dyson Sphere and who knows, maybe they are even able to consolidate power in the entirety of Romulan space, now that the Tal Shiar is done for. I can easily see the Imperial military accepting the Republic as the new government, after they reveal what Sela and Hakeev were up to.
    I would prefer to call the new nation Romulan Star Empire again, but I will settle for Republic right now...

The motivation for such a young state to expand again, to close the gap to the other two great powers would be great. Cryptic might even be able to bring back some classic Romulan traits and tone down the "good guys Republic" trope.
    I, for one, would love the Romulans to take portions of the DQ by subterfuge, manipulation, infiltration and cunning tactics.

"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?" - Captain Picard
    :rolleyes::(:rolleyes:

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I like your idea but why not have the klingons empire going to DQ to conquer and the federation going there to stop them..in short taking the AQ war to the DQ and forgot to get ice cream lol

But that would better serve treks overall theme of klinks bad feds good yadda yadda yadda ferengis own everything in primeverse and pakleds rule the JJverse
    edited September 2013
    sparcehv wrote: »
    Exploring requires you to visit the unknown.... but after you visit, it's now charted space and you have to find a new unknown or do something else. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2013
    I like your idea but why not have the klingons empire going to DQ to conquer and the federation going there to stop them..in short taking the AQ war to the DQ and forgot to get ice cream lol

That's basically what I meant. :cool:
    Of course the Feds would go to the DQ with the best of intentions, but it's the Federation... we all know it would somehow end up in a crusade of moral imperialism.
    The DQ species will perhaps be terrified when they encounter more ships like Voyager. :D
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited September 2013
    sparcehv wrote: »

Can anyone remember when STO was about exploration? I would welcome the extension of that part of the game, but I am realistic
    Also, it's all out war in 2409. Not between Fed and Klinks anymore, but between the rest of the galaxy and the two of them, it seems. Going to the DQ will involve fighting.
    I can easily see an expansion being tied in with a Fed-Klingon "Cold War" - because the hot phase of the war is over since Task Force Omega started to fight the Borg. From a narrative standpoint, that fact should be enforced.
    Two (or three) great AQ/BQ powers contesting for a whole new territory would make quite a good story in my books.
    Of course there is always place for exploration in such a setting - but I don't see Cryptic tackle the matter soon.

Colonizing/integrating the DQ species would also open up great opportunities for the Reputation system. Global reputation could be used by the two (or three) faction's players indvidually to really manipulate the course of the DQ expansion of the respective faction.

For example: all Klingons get a global reputation project to conquer the Devore Imperium - if it's full before the Federation project to get the Devore into their fold via diplomacy, the Devore territory falls into Klingon hands - some kind of territory control via reputation.
    Just create a few DQ missions to gain "DQ marks" and the thing is going.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The basic problem is the same one that plagues every MMO based on a well-established lore: the tension between the fans of the lore who want things consistent and the minmaxing MMO junkies who just want to see stuff blow up in spectacular fashion. I think one of the devs said STO was built around combat, which is why diplomatic got tacked on later and is so linear.

As for playable Borg? TRIBBLE no. A, Borg ships are huge: just a sphere is bigger than my Star Cruiser. B, game balance means your playable Borg ship will not be as tough or powerful as Borg mobs so your power fantasy WILL NOT HAPPEN. C, there are more pressing concerns such as making the Foundry more usable and making more ships and content for the Romulans.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.