What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

dStahl Talks Voyager

Comments

• Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ok mr Stahl when can we expect a fed ship along the lines of the typhoon class if at all , I know at one time you did mention it but cannot remember what thread/blog etc it was in :confused:
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    This has been discussed many times before, and the general Cryptic position is that in Star Trek, you can basically count the number of times you see a ship fly on the Z-Axis on less than 5 fingers. This is due to the practicalities of shooting with physical models, but has led to pretty solid canon evidence that in the ST universe, excessive movement along the Z-Axis is simply something that isn't done often, for whatever reason. All ships tend to align along the same plane, with the same "top" and "bottom," and adhere to it.

Cryptic chose to honour this convention. A lot of players disagree with it (I personally don't care much, except in cases where I have to "corkscrew" up and down on maps), but it was a deliberate design decision, influenced by the IP.
    Well, most of the time it isn't needed, MOST, then you have Borg Red alerts where the cubes are scattered up and down and everywhere...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If STO captains are going into the Delta Quadrant, there are a few practicalities that need to be resolved. Either the Federation, Romulans, or Klingons are going to have to develop a faster mode of long-distance travel.....erm....slipstream, in the episode of voyager with the dauntless it would have taken them 3 months to reach earth at maximum slipstream speed so....yeah there it is, plus dont the fed's and kilnks have transwarp gates to??

A transwarp gate to the Delta quadrant would probably be the best way to reach it in-game. Story-wise it would either be a beach-head like the Gamma Orionis gate (with staging area on the far end), or else some recently-discovered abandoned transwarp conduit.
  • Options
    malbanks91malbanks91 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dyson Sphere that is quite funny to hear that in the Star Trek universe.
  • Options
    salem1574salem1574 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Nothing the cures the winter blues like a crackling Holographic fire place. A crackling fire place that could be used to cheer up even the dreariest corner. A holiday tree would not be bad either. :)

Let?s face some of our interiors can be a bit on the drab side and could use a bit of cheering up during the holidays.

It would be nice to see. :)
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    malbanks91 wrote: »

How so? The Dyson Sphere was in TNG after all.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    malbanks91 wrote: »
    Why funny? Or didn't you see "Relics"?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nathan2992nathan2992 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You Guys should do missions where you are commanding voyager and acting out the missions the actual episodes had, possibly twisting the timeline a bit :)
  • Options
    sparcehvsparcehv Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Another option is to create an holographic duplicate of yourself and send it to the DQ with the old relay stations the Hirogen were using. A voyager "message in a bottle" kinda concept in reverse. Let`s say that technolgy was found from the Equinox and used by the 37`s or better perhaps by the Talaxians (colony from Voyagers "homestead" which are under attack by the borg. You have a Talaxian by your side like Tovan Khev and start on the Colony which is attacked by a sphere. From there on you level up. Building starships from replicator and Talaxian scrap.
    Captain of the federation starship U.S.S. Iridium.

In the end.... we`re all Ferengi!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sparcehv wrote: »
    Another option is to create an holographic duplicate of yourself and send it to the DQ with the old relay stations the Hirogen were using. A voyager "message in a bottle" kinda concept in reverse. Let`s say that technolgy was found from the Equinox and used by the 37`s or better perhaps by the Talaxians (colony from Voyagers "homestead" which are under attack by the borg. You have a Talaxian by your side like Tovan Khev and start on the Colony which is attacked by a sphere. From there on you level up. Building starships from replicator and Talaxian scrap.

A Talaxian like Tovan Khev? I like Tovan in some ways. But a Talaxian? And some holo technobabble? Gods forbid.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I prefer the idea of using a Transwarp gate to get there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If they keep building this transwarp gates soon we will have a whole highway of them.:P
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    dranadindranadin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've been watching Voyager on Netflix for a short while now, just started season 6. I have to say, I like the idea of the Krenim, but I really think that the "Think Tank" would make a worthwhile appearance. There's any number of ways to incorporate them, and they're not tied to any particular species, so their motives could be much more obscure.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    dranadin wrote: »
    I've been watching Voyager on Netflix for a short while now, just started season 6. I have to say, I like the idea of the Krenim, but I really think that the "Think Tank" would make a worthwhile appearance. There's any number of ways to incorporate them, and they're not tied to any particular species, so their motives could be much more obscure.
    Yeah rogue anarchist types who profit off of the misfortune of others.... and hard to track down too.... Defiantely would work as recurring characters.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    mediciusmedicius Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What if STO made the BOs playable characters for certain missions? If we don't want a person's primary character removed from known space activities, following voyager's route, what about having BOs made playable and sent on a sub-mission arc. It could be longer, like the two or three I did before hitting Captain on my Rom.

This could be used to usher in changes set to occur in known space, etc. It could also expand the importance of BO characters and perhaps allow the inclusion of player chosen traits for their favorite three BOs, unobtainable through other means.

They could even have shuttles gain greater importance by making those ships the primary travel mode during the side BO missions.

Just some thoughts.

Medicius
  • Options
    alesol27alesol27 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    On a side note -

I think it is high time the Federation started redeveloping cloaking technology. With the collapse of the Romulan government over 30 years ago, the Treaty of Algeron should have been declared null and void. Constant warfare has cost us many lives, cloaking technology would certainly help in giving us the upper hand in our war with Klingons and Tal Shiar, and ultimately save more lives
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    alesol27 wrote: »
    On a side note -

I think it is high time the Federation started redeveloping cloaking technology. With the collapse of the Romulan government over 30 years ago, the Treaty of Algeron should have been declared null and void. Constant warfare has cost us many lives, cloaking technology would certainly help in giving us the upper hand in our war with Klingons and Tal Shiar, and ultimately save more lives

Hopefully the RR got the guts to insist on the Treaty as the rightful successor state of the RSE. :D
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,418 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    alesol27 wrote: »
    On a side note -

That would be similar to saying that all treaties with a nation are void when a new government is elected.

Beside that, there is still a Romulan government even though Romulus has been destroyed.
    Give it some time until the Klingon Empire and new Romulan empire join the federation.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I wonder how the Krenim will appear ...

in a Lockbox?

I just cannot see how they would be implemented ...

Anyone got any ideas?
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    I wonder how the Krenim will appear ...

in a Lockbox?

I just cannot see how they would be implemented ...

Anyone got any ideas?

Featured Episode Series?
    Reputation grind?

Something along those lines...
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    nightstorm2468nightstorm2468 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Krenim is cool and and their technology:)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Krenim is cool and and their technology:)

The technology makes no sense at all because it runs straight into the classic grandfather paradox. If you erase someone from the timeline so they never existed, what was the impetus for building the weapon that erased them in the first place?

Have I mentioned recently that I despise time travel and anything remotely resembling time travel?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    The technology makes no sense at all because it runs straight into the classic grandfather paradox. If you erase someone from the timeline so they never existed, what was the impetus for building the weapon that erased them in the first place?

Have I mentioned recently that I despise time travel and anything remotely resembling time travel?

Use your imagination.
    Doctor Who even has technology able to "hold a paradox in place".
    It's forcing your will upon time.

But afair, the explanation given by Voyager was just: the weapon ship is time shielded. It is not subject to the changes of the timeline it causes.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited September 2013
    "A paradox can be paradoctored." (from "...All You Zombies..." by Robert Heinlein)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    "A paradox can be paradoctored." (from "...All You Zombies..." by Robert Heinlein)

That's a good one.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    b19821b19821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    how about none of the above i never liked voyager because it never made sence but thats me
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    zorbane wrote: »
    They couldn't handle a lost Science vessel, I don't think they'd be much of a threat to the entire Federation.

Maybe the enemy should be the Talaxians. They'll annoy everyone to death.

Now that is funny!

OT-

The 37s could also be kind of interesting to fight. An aggressive expansionist human empire led by a recently thawed historical figure. Evil Thomas Edison? Or did the '37s exclusively come from 1937? Anyway, could be neat.
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    so when are we getting the voth ship again ? :confused:
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
This discussion has been closed.