Install Arc
Options

dStahl Talks Voyager

Comments

• Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    teyus83 wrote: »
    I do understand the Borg Queen commands the Borg but is it much different from the Federation in how we run missions now in game? We receive the missions and go and do them typically. I don't think it is far from the same but that is my viewpoint. That is my two cents. I do think though having a Borg type ship and crew would be nice.

What's next? Playable Cthulhu?
    Borg would suck as playable race. Have you guys absolutely no sense for atmosphere and immersion?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    What about making this 50+ which they open up another 10-15 tier and you get sent to the DQ as level 50 but you essentially start out at that level but you have to gain another 10-15 in tiers or ranks? They need to do away with the entire ranking anyhow and this would make or provide a good opportunity to allowing us to level up another 15 ranks per se.

They can't send our character because then your level 50+ would be STUCK there. Or at least you would not be able to get back "home" easily.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    What's next? Playable Cthulhu?
    Borg would suck as playable race. Have you guys absolutely no sense for atmosphere and immersion?
    Many have a strong sense for minmaxing and destroying everything in PvP. The Borg would be great for that.

I think the Kazon could work as a Delta Quad race - as NPCs only. For one thing, there's one group we could all agree it's okay to blow up by the hundreds as we fly through space...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They can't send our character because then your level 50+ would be STUCK there. Or at least you would not be able to get back "home" easily.

Well, if that is the case then allow us to create a new character that is essentially stuck in the DQ. I dont necessary have a problem with that, something needs to change and this might be the best way to do it.
  • Options
    sparcehvsparcehv Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well, if that is the case then allow us to create a new character that is essentially stuck in the DQ. I dont necessary have a problem with that, something needs to change and this might be the best way to do it.

Don`t think that`s an option. You`ll create a second game with that.
    Captain of the federation starship U.S.S. Iridium.

In the end.... we`re all Ferengi!
  • Options
    jjjjjjjj11111ffgjjjjjjjj11111ffg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    vote The Hierarchy they look the best

:D:):cool:;)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think the greatest way to implement the DQ would be a real "colonization" theme.
    Feds and Klinks and Roms are going there and start a "Great Game" with conquest, diplomacy, manipulation, intimidation etc., just to gain a local foothold.

Quite funny - we would be for the DQ what the Dominion was for the AQ and the BQ. The foreign invaders. Fits perfectly with the constantly meddling Federation, and of course with the Klingons and even the Romulan Republic. The Romulans might want not to become the late commers regarding the expansion into a whole new area of space. Of course the Republic may have less ressources then team Red and Blue - but they have the Iconian Portal to the Dyson Sphere and who knows, maybe they are even able to consolidate power in the entirety of Romulan space, now that the Tal Shiar is done for. I can easily see the Imperial military accepting the Republic as the new government, after they reveal what Sela and Hakeev were up to.
    I would prefer to call the new nation Romulan Star Empire again, but I will settle for Republic right now...

The motivation for such a young state to expand again, to close the gap to the other two great powers would be great. Cryptic might even be able to bring back some classic Romulan traits and tone down the "good guys Republic" trope.
    I, for one, would love the Romulans to take portions of the DQ by subterfuge, manipulation, infiltration and cunning tactics.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    sparcehvsparcehv Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think the greatest way to implement the DQ would be a real "colonization" theme.
    Feds and Klinks and Roms are going there and start a "Great Game" with conquest, diplomacy, manipulation, intimidation etc., just to gain a local foothold.

Quite funny - we would be for the DQ what the Dominion was for the AQ and the BQ. The foreign invaders. Fits perfectly with the constantly meddling Federation, and of course with the Klingons and even the Romulan Republic. The Romulans might want not to become the late commers regarding the expansion into a whole new area of space. Of course the Republic may have less ressources then team Red and Blue - but they have the Iconian Portal to the Dyson Sphere and who knows, maybe they are even able to consolidate power in the entirety of Romulan space, now that the Tal Shiar is done for. I can easily see the Imperial military accepting the Republic as the new government, after they reveal what Sela and Hakeev were up to.
    I would prefer to call the new nation Romulan Star Empire again, but I will settle for Republic right now...

The motivation for such a young state to expand again, to close the gap to the other two great powers would be great. Cryptic might even be able to bring back some classic Romulan traits and tone down the "good guys Republic" trope.
    I, for one, would love the Romulans to take portions of the DQ by subterfuge, manipulation, infiltration and cunning tactics.

"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?" - Captain Picard
    :rolleyes::(:rolleyes:
    Captain of the federation starship U.S.S. Iridium.

In the end.... we`re all Ferengi!
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I like your idea but why not have the klingons empire going to DQ to conquer and the federation going there to stop them..in short taking the AQ war to the DQ and forgot to get ice cream lol

But that would better serve treks overall theme of klinks bad feds good yadda yadda yadda ferengis own everything in primeverse and pakleds rule the JJverse
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sparcehv wrote: »
    Exploring requires you to visit the unknown.... but after you visit, it's now charted space and you have to find a new unknown or do something else. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I like your idea but why not have the klingons empire going to DQ to conquer and the federation going there to stop them..in short taking the AQ war to the DQ and forgot to get ice cream lol

That's basically what I meant. :cool:
    Of course the Feds would go to the DQ with the best of intentions, but it's the Federation... we all know it would somehow end up in a crusade of moral imperialism.
    The DQ species will perhaps be terrified when they encounter more ships like Voyager. :D
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sparcehv wrote: »

Can anyone remember when STO was about exploration? I would welcome the extension of that part of the game, but I am realistic
    Also, it's all out war in 2409. Not between Fed and Klinks anymore, but between the rest of the galaxy and the two of them, it seems. Going to the DQ will involve fighting.
    I can easily see an expansion being tied in with a Fed-Klingon "Cold War" - because the hot phase of the war is over since Task Force Omega started to fight the Borg. From a narrative standpoint, that fact should be enforced.
    Two (or three) great AQ/BQ powers contesting for a whole new territory would make quite a good story in my books.
    Of course there is always place for exploration in such a setting - but I don't see Cryptic tackle the matter soon.

Colonizing/integrating the DQ species would also open up great opportunities for the Reputation system. Global reputation could be used by the two (or three) faction's players indvidually to really manipulate the course of the DQ expansion of the respective faction.

For example: all Klingons get a global reputation project to conquer the Devore Imperium - if it's full before the Federation project to get the Devore into their fold via diplomacy, the Devore territory falls into Klingon hands - some kind of territory control via reputation.
    Just create a few DQ missions to gain "DQ marks" and the thing is going.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The basic problem is the same one that plagues every MMO based on a well-established lore: the tension between the fans of the lore who want things consistent and the minmaxing MMO junkies who just want to see stuff blow up in spectacular fashion. I think one of the devs said STO was built around combat, which is why diplomatic got tacked on later and is so linear.

As for playable Borg? TRIBBLE no. A, Borg ships are huge: just a sphere is bigger than my Star Cruiser. B, game balance means your playable Borg ship will not be as tough or powerful as Borg mobs so your power fantasy WILL NOT HAPPEN. C, there are more pressing concerns such as making the Foundry more usable and making more ships and content for the Romulans.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Ah, but remember their is a faction of Klingons in the DQ already, remember Episode 7 of the last season? Where and how far has the Klingons gone or conquered or have they stayed on the planet that Janeway left them on? They were a spiritual group, not a traditional Klingon faction.

But that would better serve treks overall theme of klinks bad feds good yadda yadda yadda ferengis own everything in primeverse and pakleds rule the JJverse

If Cryptic could balance it somehow in the same-way to provide a REAL experience in the DQ, by perhaps sending a few ships that are large to start a colony of some sorts with cargo ships with them to establish a planet or a moon or something like that to get a foot hold inside the DQ.

Some have stated that having to create and be stuck in the DQ as a started character, but it would for and to an extent extend the game overall and a new direction if Cryptic can expand the Universe and keeping up with that within the DQ, we all know that Cryptic has a problem with keeping up with that.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ah, but remember their is a faction of Klingons in the DQ already, remember Episode 7 of the last season? Where and how far has the Klingons gone or conquered or have they stayed on the planet that Janeway left them on? They were a spiritual group, not a traditional Klingon faction.

So, why "but"? A few Klinks already there make hardly any difference regarding my proposial. But they would make a nice Klingon story mission or two.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    So, why "but"? A few Klinks already there make hardly any difference regarding my proposial. But they would make a nice Klingon story mission or two.

True, but we also dont know what changes have come as a result of Voyagers per se intervention into that entire region as they did and did not get into conflicts directly but their presents did have an impact and what does the powers within the DQ look like?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    True, but we also dont know what changes have come as a result of Voyagers per se intervention into that entire region as they did and did not get into conflicts directly but their presents did have an impact and what does the powers within the DQ look like?

That would be up to Cryptic to develop.
    I would like it to expand my faction into a new realm with its own political, social and military dynamics.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    That would be up the Cryptic to develop.
    I would like it to expand my faction into a new realm with its own political, social and military dynamics.

Oh, i agree it would be nice.
    yeah and Cryptic built some severely limited mechanics into the game that NEVER allowed exploration.
    In Freelancer, for example, you get to travel as far as the eye could see - in STO you can barely travel fifty thousand kilometers.
    In Freelancer you can turn your ship in any manner, on ANY axis, in STO you have to spiral your way up or down like an orange peeler - and its as if you hit a glass ceiling. Its ridiculous. :mad:

You are spot on, they would have to do a major overhaul i would think if they even wanted to attempt to create something that was more fluid, as currently it is restrictive. They have been promising taking down the borders forever and have done nothing. I loved Freelancer.
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    by the looks of it the boring Krenim have won but it seems a little fixed tbh with over double what the Vidiian have lol , as for the voth or what ever they are called and their new ship I would rather have the typhoon class with a little updated look to it but that's just me lol :D . but if it is free who am I to complain :P
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    by the looks of it the boring Krenim have won but it seems a little fixed tbh with over double what the Vidiian have lol , as for the voth or what ever they are called and their new ship I would rather have the typhoon class with a little updated look to it but that's just me lol :D . but if it is free who am I to complain :P
    I also note that the Krenim have actually lost ground since I last checked. Last I saw they were at 45%, now they're down to 44%. Also they never had an actual majority: more than half of those polled want anybody else.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    :( *sniff* :( *sniff*

So...true.
    yeah and Cryptic built some severely limited mechanics into the game that NEVER allowed exploration.
    In Freelancer, for example, you get to travel as far as the eye could see - in STO you can barely travel fifty thousand kilometers.
    In Freelancer you can turn your ship in any manner, on ANY axis, in STO you have to spiral your way up or down like an orange peeler - and its as if you hit a glass ceiling. Its ridiculous. :mad:
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Have you tried the sector cluster exploration stuff? That's something that is, in my opinion, a quite reasonable effort at giving people (nearly) infinite space to explore. It definately has limitations but it's not a bad effort overall. One thing it doesn't have that might make it a lot better is some way for you to return to places you'd been before. Maybe do something different this time... but in a place you'd been before. (and teaming would let you bring others to places you found)
    Yeah that really annoys me too. I don't understand that at all. I suspect it's somehow tied into how shield and weapon facings work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If STO captains are going into the Delta Quadrant, there are a few practicalities that need to be resolved. Either the Federation, Romulans, or Klingons are going to have to develop a faster mode of long-distance travel.....erm....slipstream, in the episode of voyager with the dauntless it would have taken them 3 months to reach earth at maximum slipstream speed so....yeah there it is, plus dont the fed's and kilnks have transwarp gates to??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If STO captains are going into the Delta Quadrant, there are a few practicalities that need to be resolved. Either the Federation, Romulans, or Klingons are going to have to develop a faster mode of long-distance travel.....erm....slipstream, in the episode of voyager with the dauntless it would have taken them 3 months to reach earth at maximum slipstream speed so....yeah there it is, plus dont the fed's and kilnks have transwarp gates to??

i thought all the ships in the trek universe could maneuver in 3 dimensions, that includes straight up or straight down, hence the maneuvering thrusters.....or do ships not have those anymore??? XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2013

I love Freelancer. That game was fantastic, and I haven't found a space fighter game with better controls yet.

However. . . that is a VERY different kind of game than STO. Freelancer is about fighters, not capital ships. It's also not bound by the canon of an existing IP.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah that really annoys me too. I don't understand that at all. I suspect it's somehow tied into how shield and weapon facings work.

This has been discussed many times before, and the general Cryptic position is that in Star Trek, you can basically count the number of times you see a ship fly on the Z-Axis on less than 5 fingers. This is due to the practicalities of shooting with physical models, but has led to pretty solid canon evidence that in the ST universe, excessive movement along the Z-Axis is simply something that isn't done often, for whatever reason. All ships tend to align along the same plane, with the same "top" and "bottom," and adhere to it.

Cryptic chose to honour this convention. A lot of players disagree with it (I personally don't care much, except in cases where I have to "corkscrew" up and down on maps), but it was a deliberate design decision, influenced by the IP.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
This discussion has been closed.