test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

dStahl Talks Voyager

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Star Trek Online Executive Producer Daniel Stahl checks in to recap and provide commentary on last month's poll. Give it a read by clicking on the link below and let us know your thoughts in this thread, and don't forget to participate in our latest poll above!

Link to the article.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• pardusian141pardusian141 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Kazon would be nice but I got tired of seeing them so much....

Dyson sphere....how cool is that?!
  • ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd love to face one of those nasty Krenim cruisers with a Temporal Destroyer.
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Regrettably, the staff could not see past the rampant Seven of Nine fanboyism of the last poll.

Back to topic:
    Vidiians is a BAD idea. They were "hand-waved" out of the Voyager plot by having the think tank cure the phage.

If we want to expand into the Delta Quafrant, then the FED/KDF War needs to end, and the Iconians need to be shown in the DQ as well.
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Kazon would be nice but I got tired of seeing them so much....

They couldn't handle a lost Science vessel, I don't think they'd be much of a threat to the entire Federation.

Maybe the enemy should be the Talaxians. They'll annoy everyone to death.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2013
    The Krenim would be interesting to bring in as allies for the main players. When we left them in Voyager after the Year of Hell end reset they were a little stand-offish but otherwise friendly, or at least the guy on the viewscreen was.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Since "encounter" in STO means "blow up". I have to go with the Devore. They are the ones on that list I would feel the least sorry for killing them by the thousands.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Malon XD :D
    You can already get your hands on an Undine ship holo-emitter, but could you imagine commanding a Borg cube?

No thank you. Plenty of other races that can go into a lockbox... Hirogen, Deferi, Voth, Breen and so on
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow, tough poll. Can we add multiple choice? :)
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Devs, just a reminder: STO Feds and KDF have Transwarp Gates. We could build another one to head there. Or even pull a Project Return and Quantum Slipstream there. The Federation can reach the Delta Quadrant with ease. So that solves the Delta Q. ability to get there (and back!).

Honestly, the race I want to meet out there isnt on the poll: THE OCAMPA! No seriously, Janeway sent Evil!Kes back to them. Who knows what they're like now. They could be royally pissed off against the Caretakers for doing what they did to them, now have starships and of course, The Ocampan Force Powers (TM).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • pantsmaster916pantsmaster916 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Vidiians is a BAD idea. They were "hand-waved" out of the Voyager plot by having the think tank cure the phage.

I completely disagree.

As you say, they were "hand-waved out" which is another way of saying "lazily removed by the writers" ... and it was done without apparent reason. Furthermore, without any supporting evidence. The Think Tank could've been lying.

Or, even more devious, they could have given the Vidiians a cure that only works temporarily, and more would only be supplied on the condition that the Vidiians become a sort of vassal state to their needs. A protection racket, one might say... Sort of a, "Continue to pay us or otherwise fulfill our needs, and we'll keep your species cured. Fail, and you lose."

The Think Tank was not an altruistic group of thinkers. They were only interested if they got something out of the deal. And when they were crippled by Voyager, it's entirely possible that the 'cure' stopped working.
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wanted to vote Devore, they're so suave, but I voted Krenim. Moar timetravel shenanigans! That, and I can't see how (unless we're simply blasting them to bits as usual) we could interact with the Devore what with their fear of telepaths and such.
    Heck, we might even see the Kazon if they?re still around (we at least know the Borg weren?t interested in assimilating them! Haha!).

Please no.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ...didn't the Borg pass over the Kazon?....like it was beneath them to assimilate the Kazon?....like the other guy said "...I don't think they would be much of a threat..."

Anyway - threw my weight behind the Krenim, they seem like a worthy foe....
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i want my year of hell in pvp, since its been 3 years of hell in pvp.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The Kazon? Not a real threat.
    The Krenim? After the destruction of their ship - nothing interesting.
    The Malon? Nothing exciting about garbage scows.
    The Devore? They isolate themselves and I don't see a reason why we would want to go there.

The Vidiian?
    The Hierarchy?
    Those two I would like to see. Vidiians are interesting because they have to take extreme measures just to survive. The Hierarchy seems to be a formidable opponent which we only got a glimpse of in Voyager.

I went with Hierarchy but it was a tough choice between the two.
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    May I suggest that if you want a way to get to the Delta Quadrant, give my mission, In the Shadow of MIDAS, Part 1, a try. It's actually an extrapolation of an idea from Voyager itself.
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Am I the only person who actually liked the Kazon? Sure, they weren't the greatest species in the galaxy, but the clan infighting could be pretty cool if written well, and their ships looked sweet.

Eh, they're my favourite from this list at least. There were other species I would prefer but they aren't options.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is very exciting and I hope it leads into more Undine/Borg content too.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • stultus1980stultus1980 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I know this is an MMO game, but I don't think the developers should be afraid of a storyline (series of missions) in which each individual Captain plays as if he/she were the only Federation/Klingon/Romulan vessel in the Delta Quadrant.

Perhaps we are on a diplomatic mission transporting one of the original Voyager crew when 'evil' Kes shows us and flings us into the Delta Quadrant as some kind of sadistic revenge.

Whilst there, we have to face a series of missions that entail similar storylines as the VOY crew faced -- making allies and enemies, facing the Borg, gathering resources, following leads for finding ways home...

It would be really cool to see damage from battles leave permanent visual marks on our ship's skin and perhaps even for long-term damage to various ship's systems to be inflicted on our vessel (unless we can find the resources/allies needed to affect repairs).

Maybe we can pick up several passengers along the journey who act as local advisors in much the same way that Neelix did. They can appear in pop up windows to offer information about systems and species.

Pipe dreaming now: - would love to have to deal with systems repairs and red alert emergencies from the ship's interior maps. Red alert lights flashing, go to engineering and fix something before an automated core dump, etc.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The entire Kazon story turned me off from Voyager. I stopped watching it when they became THE STORY! It was only at the request of my good friend Steve Neill who worked on STMP and STUC and is friends with Doug Drexler who also nudged me through Steve into watching later Voyagers.
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited August 2013
    yeah , most people seem to conveniently forget that slipstream drive gets you there no problem , hell , they did it in the books so why cant it work in sto
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm still deeply disappointed that the community voted for Voyager. Not only was it the worst Trek, it's also bad television. I know some people have been able to reconcile their opinion of the show by accepting that Janeway was the villain rather than the hero... but I follow the viewpoint of many of the cast in thinking it was unwatchable tripe.

Less Voyager the better.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so after reading all that it pretty obvious that if every one had voted for ds9 then a cardassian faction would have finally been highly likely :(

for this poll I went with the krenim. despite my dislike for time travel and alternate universe stuff. that episode was one of the better ones voyager had. after everything that happened right at the end. you see him working on calculations! which leaves you left wondering about it.

also on the I wonder what happened to ??!? from a episode I recall janeway and paris get it on as some kind of creatures on planet and well have babies lol I always wonder what happen to them lol

not sure anything from voyager is worthy of the word 'expansion'. if playable faction helps define expansion then tng+ds9 has cardassians.

hirogen are cool from voyager but you couldn't bolt them in to the federation it wouldn't be ethical. klingons would be far too good as prey for them to be buddies. maybe the romulan fRaction. but it's a pretty weak connection now you've tried to destroy the ISE.

playable borg faction. possibly the worst idea ever in sto history. flying a cube? or sphere. if you want you make 1 of start trek greatest nemesis look pathetic. go right ahead and do it.
  • markus1566markus1566 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I voted Krenim because ... timetraveling :D

But flying Borg Ships would be cool, if there would be some sort of non-collective Borg (thinking of Hugh ect, I know TNG not VOY) which can friendly interact with Fed ect. Maybe even Custom Borg ships :D
  • iticusiticus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My question is : Why not the Gamma quadrant? You already have a gateway there, and only a little bit has been explored. Seems to me there is the opening you need. The delta Quadrant has a lot of stuff, but like you said, there is no "easy" way to get back and forth from there. Therefore you might want to give another star system another wormhole like bajor to the Delta. Or just work on the gamma quadrant first. MHO.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wish the Vaadwaur were added to the list, they have a great potential for being storyline villians.

But Krenim are good too, since their storyline was left open ended where they appeared to start messing with time again.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    I'm still deeply disappointed that the community voted for Voyager. Not only was it the worst Trek, it's also bad television. I know some people have been able to reconcile their opinion of the show by accepting that Janeway was the villain rather than the hero... but I follow the viewpoint of many of the cast in thinking it was unwatchable tripe.

Less Voyager the better.

I dunno, Evil Janeway is still in an interesting concept. Especially with the on going Iconian Subversion Arc we've got. Just saying Janeway = Hakeev.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For me, the Krenim have the best "cool factor" here. The others, barring the Vidiians (who likely weren't legitimately cured by the Think Tank), just seem dull to me.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I had to look them all up on Memory Alpha. Needless to say, I didn't vote VOY.

Kazon...lol meh.
    Vidiian...yawn meh.
    Krenim...hey, that's Red Forman.
    Malon...major meh.
    Hierarchy...dull meh.
    Devore...huh meh.

So yeah, no idea who/what the Krenim are...but I can think of dozens of Red Forman quotes to share for everybody that voted VOY...so I'm going with the Krenim.
  • locutusx5locutusx5 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    my take on how to incorporate the delta quad would be

A group of starfleet vessels equipped with slip stream make the long journey to the asteroid field where nelix lives. Once the ships are there then they start building a transwarp gate which connects to the one in the alpha quadrant. From there more constructions ships make there way through the gate and assemble a star base and ally them selves with the talaxians and nelix as the ambassador.

Then your free to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Honestly, I didn't watch much Voyager (some day I will, I suppose), so I don't know about any of those races in the poll.
    dstahl wrote:
    ...it wouldn?t make much sense to have thousands upon thousands of starships suddenly showing up on the other side of the galaxy and all of them stuck trying to get home. That might feel a bit strange in a multiplayer game.
    Oh, you mean like have thousands upon thousands of Admirals and Generals flying starships day-to-day, beaming down with their away teams, regularly engaging in direct combat with the enemy, taking water samples, chasing space bunnies, and fixing broken machines?

Nothing strange going on there...

:rolleyes:
    thay8472 wrote: »
    You can already get your hands on an Undine ship holo-emitter, but could you imagine commanding a Borg cube?
    No thank you. Plenty of other races that can go into a lockbox... Hirogen, Deferi, Voth, Breen and so on
    Agreed. I know the day is coming that they'll release Borg Cubes to Players, they've been talking about it practically since Day 1, but I dread that day. It's bad enough we plow through the Borg like so many wisps of nothing anymore, they just aren't that cool anymore, certainly not scary, nor a threat... More's the pitty.
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    This is very exciting and I hope it leads into more Undine/Borg content too.
    I, too, would like to see more with the Undine content... See the existing content finally expanded/finished.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
This discussion has been closed.