test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

takeing the game back from romulan faction (boffs)

dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
xwith the release of LoR, we were graced with the romulan faction. thats hilariously better then ether the KDF or fed faction. heres why

- for 40 less shield power, you get in exchange singularity jump and quantum absorption. 2 heals/evades so useful and powerful, that they will do you a lot more good keeping you alive then a bit more res and regen ever would.

-battlecloak on everything. with the singularity powers mentioned above, its hard not to escape and live, even under heavy fire

-their ships have beter basic stats then federation ship, and dont pay for things like a cloak at all with reduced stats like the kdf does.

- and last but not least, the rom faction boffs, not to be confused with the flunky embassy boffs, that by comparison are washouts that only a desperate fed or kdf captain would want. they are literally table scraps thrown to the dogs.

rom faction boffs have 2 space traits that when you have a full set of 5 superior slotted on your ship are more powerful then any other item of doff your ship may have.

the 3 traits, subterfuge, operative and infiltrator each buff some of these things each
- massively boosted stealth scores that no stealth sight can defeat
- +defense score
- +crit chance
- +crit sevarity
- lower cloak cooldown
- increase ambush damage -does not stack with multiple boffs of the same grade i dont think
- increase ambush duration -does not stack with multiple boffs of the same grade i dont think

so, my character with 4 superior romulan boff and 1 superior reman has a ~96% defense score, about 15% crit chance base, a 12 second battle cloak cooldown, and a 15 second long ambush bonus.

my fed and kdf characters cant hold a candle to performance like that, and every ship that does not have a cloak feels like a knife brought to a gun fight.

for most of you, a rom proboly doesn't feel that OP. thats because you havent spent a ton of EC on an all superior crew, or you spend most of your time shooting STF gates, and that 50 shield power will do you more good then any of that other stuff. the thinking that romulan ships are glass and all that

if those rom boffs did not do any of those things, that would be one thing. the romulan faction would be fairly balanced. sort of nerfing the rom boffs to the point were they dont even have space traits though, what are we to do?

buff every other race of boff for KDF and fed so that they can have space traits as powerful.

i see kdf getting similar cloaking bonuses, and fed getting bonuses for staying in a fight longer, as apposed to cloaking, stuff like that. i strongly feel something like this needs to happen, several pvpers have already totally written off their non rom characters because of how plainly inferior they are.

LoR just about killed the KDF as far as i can tell, they are basically the rom faction, only extreamly watered down. starved for end game ships, having extreamly inferior non battlecloaks, bops that pay out the nose for battlecloak, the monbosh now trumping all kdf battle cruisers, they dont even have leadership boffs. aside from the high quality totorial missions that are great fun, and the kdf elite disrupters that a rom allied can get, theres no incentive to play kdf at all.

that can almost be said for the feds too, but enough people want to live the starfleet experience that it still gets plenty of play. i understand making the romulans as powerful as they are, they are new, and if no one played them all that time and effort and money spent to create them would have been for nothing, the expansion would have been a failure. but now, its time to back fill the other 2 factions a bit, so they can compete again.

ok, after quite a bit more thought, heres my proposed traits, and what boffs have a chance to have 1, none or both

traits

leadership- +20 to subsystem repair, +20 Hull Repair, +20 Shield Emitters, bonus hull regeneration

teamwork- 10% bonus on heals/damage buffs on ET, ST, and TT

Stubborn- bonus damage resistance and increased damage dealing as hit points are reduced

insurgent- +2% Critical Chance +5% Critical Severity, +2.5% to all adjusted damage

eager to please- +20 to Particle Generators, Graviton Generators and Electro-Plasma Systems, Power Insulators

efficient- +20 to efficiency skill, Warp Core Potential, Driver Coil and Starship Batteries

telepathy- +20 to countermeasure, +20 Sensors,+20 to Targeting Systems

territorial- crit chance and crit severity increase as hit points are reduced

honorable- +3% defense +3% accuracy, +20 to weapons training

warrior- +5% ambush damage, +50 stealth wile cloaked, +5% faster cloaking recharge

pirates- +5% to all base damage, +3 second ambush damage duration + to 100 to stealth

unique

Feline Instincts- +10 crtS, +5% defense score, +.3% stealth detect

Joined Symbiote- +20 Starship Weapons Training, Flow Capacitors, Inertial Dampeners, Starship Maneuvers, and Subspace Decompiler

shrewd- 5% discount when buying anything with EC or latinum, 5% bonus to dilithium ore rewards

fortune finder- very rare item drop chance increased by 2.5%

dumb luck- +5% Critical Chance, +20% Critical Severity, -20 Inertial Dampeners, -20 Starship Sensors, -20 Subsystem Repair, -20 Power Insulators

things to make us go- +20 engine performance skill, +20 to drive coil

romulan faction traits

subterfuge- +2.5% defense, 2% more ambush damage +150 stealth wile cloaked

S. operative- +2% crit chance, +5% crit sevarity, 15% faster cloak cooldown

S. infiltrator- +3.8 defense, +10 seconds to ambush damage bonus duration (2 superior dont stack, but 1 of each lower grade would), +200 stealth wile cloaked

human
leadership
teamwork

vulcan
telepathy
Stubborn

Andorian
honorable
territorial

Aenar
telepathy
territorial

Tellarite
Stubborn
teamwork

Bajoran
insurgent
territorial

Benzite
eager to please
efficient

Betazoid
telepathy
leadership

Bolian
leadership
eager to please

Caitian
Feline Instincts
warrior

Rigelian
honorable
Stubborn

Saurian
efficient
leadership

Trill
Joined Symbiote
efficient

Ferengi
shrewd
fortune finder

Pakled
dumb luck
things to make us go

Gorn
Stubborn
territorial

Klingon
honorable
warrior

Lethean
efficient
telepathy

Nausicaan
pirates
insurgent

Orion female
leadership
eager to please

Orion male
teamwork
pirates

Ferasan
Feline Instincts
telepathy

android
efficient
teamwork

Liberated Borg
efficient
Stubborn

Jem'Hadar
warrior
insurgent

Breen
honorable
Stubborn

photonic
teamwork
eager to please

Reman
subterfuge
infiltrator

i hope sci captains are happy, this could mean an unprecedented boost for them. and rom fed allies

updated in post 103 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=12481301&postcount=103
Post edited by dontdrunkimshoot on

Comments

• captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    human fed in bug ship: same gear ,same skill tree ,2 embassy crtH boffs =@13% crtH

romulan fed in bug ship: same gear ,same skill tree ,all superior operative boffs = over 20%crtH and ofcourse more crtD

so same ship is not equal to the same ship in cryptic's land....and people want the game ballanced when the same ship with the same class is not ballanced.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    /applause

I posted a similar thread while back with little community feedback, but this post is a whole new level

Please, get on the ball and keep this thread alive.

+1 it. Post your thoughts and feedback...keep this alive so cryptic will actually do something
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've been thinking Fed/KDF need this for some time to, these trait ideas look good, we need these with superior versions of these traits available asap.

Romulans have access to all these boffs to, they may not bother with them due to having crit boffs, but still that leaves them with even more options then Fed/KDF, will that be fair for them to be able to use those boffs and the crit boffs to?

some of the traits mentioned like on Andorians and Orions are interesting, but I'd rather have them give straight crit bonuses like Rom boffs do and something additional to make up that they won't also add cloak bonuses.

Pakled traits are hilarious and sounds fun, would really like to see those.

Lots of your trait ideas get activated as hull goes down, I am not sure I would like to use these, I already get myself killed sometimes because of the changes to GDF when I try to trigger it on purpose by leaving TT or epts down for a few seconds and take more damage then anticipated or the other player gets a lucky crit in. Will make stuff more interesting at least though when you see this happen a lot more.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am Brock, and I approve this message.
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pakleds please.
    pvp = small package
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Lots of your trait ideas get activated as hull goes down, I am not sure I would like to use these, I already get myself killed sometimes because of the changes to GDF when I try to trigger it on purpose by leaving TT or epts down for a few seconds and take more damage then anticipated or the other player gets a lucky crit in. Will make stuff more interesting at least though when you see this happen a lot more.

this is part of the reward for being the decloak alpha strike victoms, and not being able to cloak your self. they are for a ship that has to stick it out and tank, to make up for having no ambush damage bonus, and in my imagining they would be fairly potent as your damage worsens.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, FED and KDF Boffs need (I'd say more, but now there are like 2?!, on more than a dozen races) finally some space traits to choose from.

Keep the ideas coming. In the meantime, I'll see to get me something to make me go. :P
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Trill
    Joined Symbiote- +10 skill points in Hull Repair, Starship Shield Emitters, Starship Weapons Training, Warp Core Potential, Particle Generator and Subspace Decompiler
    leadership- +20 to subsystem repair, bonus hull regeneration

I just want to point out that not all Trills are have a symbiote. Joined Trills have to purchased from the C-store, so you would have to give something to unjoined Trills too. Also, according to the wiki, Joined Symbiote currently boosts graviton generators as well. Is there some reason you left that out?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Joined_Symbiote
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • tksmittytksmitty Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I was thinking about starting a similar thread on this topic, but I could't think of a good fix. These options look like solid traits. I would like to think my Gorn-only bridge crew could get damage resist at 100% hull, just like the Romulans.
    Current ship/builds:
    KDF Tac: Bortasqu' Tactical
    Fed Tac: Fleet Gal-X

Keep those big guns a-thunderin'
    edited August 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I just want to point out that not all Trills are have a symbiote. Joined Trills have to purchased from the C-store, so you would have to give something to unjoined Trills too. Also, according to the wiki, Joined Symbiote currently boosts graviton generators as well. Is there some reason you left that out?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Joined_Symbiote

it was a copy paste from the description above, its missing out of what i copied from the wiki too. oh well, they will get the idea.

boffs created after the change, presumably current boffs cant be changed, would have a chance to have the new space skills. odds are a generated boff wont have the joined trait, it would be as rare as having a superior trait would be to a romulan boff. so, i dont see an issue, canon is respected.
  • drumcd74656drumcd74656 Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thank You, DDIS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    /applause

I posted a similar thread a while back.

Kudos on calling Cryptic on this as well!

"My name is Kira Shepard, and I approve of this thread."
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it was a copy paste from the description above, its missing out of what i copied from the wiki too. oh well, they will get the idea.

boffs created after the change, presumably current boffs cant be changed, would have a chance to have the new space skills. odds are a generated boff wont have the joined trait, it would be as rare as having a superior trait would be to a romulan boff. so, i dont see an issue, canon is respected.

I guess I wasn't too clear. My concern wasn't about canon. As far as I know, Joined Trill is a C-store unlock for the captain playable race. I don't think boffs have the Joined Symbiote trait at all. So unjoined Trills (both captain and boffs) should get another trait.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited August 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I guess I wasn't too clear. My concern wasn't about canon. As far as I know, Joined Trill is a C-store unlock for the captain playable race. I don't think boffs have the Joined Symbiote trait at all. So unjoined Trills (both captain and boffs) should get another trait.

thats just so your captain can have those traits. compared to the other traits i proposed, its nothing special, infact one of the weaker traits. if you wanted a boff with subterfuge or covert, you payed a ton of dil and marks, roms get twice as good of boffs for free
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Full ship of Pakleds, kthxbai.

Other ideas for them:

Far from home: +50 to Driver coils in sector space

It is broken: All disables are more effective (as in, you are disabled longer), but grants a longer resist/immunity to disables when they are done.

We are smart: 3 to all science skills, +5 seconds CD length on all sci BOFF skills.

We are strong: 3 to all tac skills, 1% all damage (final modifier), +5% CD length on all tac BOFF skills.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • arctcwolfarctcwolf Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    why do u think cryptic brought out the new subspace consoles...

fire...disable...blind...hence neutralize any romulan before they can pop singularity and run away...
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This pertains to balancing the game. Something Systems is obviously not interested in. Everybody knows this would be a good idea. They just made up a whole bunch of new space traits while making rommies. Balancing them was not on the agenda. I see no reason why this would have changed by now.

• chemist6lpchemist6lp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pakled
    dumb luck- +4% Critical Chance, -30 Stun resistance, -30 Confuse resistance, -30 Placate resistance
    things to make us go- +20 engine performance skill
    (the thought of this doff being real, and having 5 stacked, and actually going into pvp with them makes me lol)
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Full ship of Pakleds, kthxbai.

Other ideas for them:

Far from home: +50 to Driver coils in sector space

It is broken: All disables are more effective (as in, you are disabled longer), but grants a longer resist/immunity to disables when they are done.

We are smart: 3 to all science skills, +5 seconds CD length on all sci BOFF skills.

We are strong: 3 to all tac skills, 1% all damage (final modifier), +5% CD length on all tac BOFF skills.

These boffs would deserve their own short bus-like ship to balance their obvious awesomeness.
    Science for the win. / Czechoslovak Fleet 1st Division
    edited August 2013
    skoll: "There are always counters!"

thxbye
    edited August 2013
    I was quoting Geko. You know the guy in charge of balance. I thought my sig makes that obvious.

He thinks there are counters to buffjenga (like the term). Maybe its time he shares his vision how Leadership and efficiency are the counters .....or whatever else he has put in place.
  • mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is needed so bad I daren't take my fed into PVP as it just means death

I love playing my romulan but they are crazily more powerful than the fed and Klingons it makes pve'ing boring because everything just melts

The devs won't listen but they really should as fed and kdf need a buff desperately

+1 DDIS
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Honestly, I despise the way they introduced the Romulans with superior boffs, I really do.
    But seriously, lets get over it because their views on balance and pure money grabbing wont change ever.

Drunk, to you lad, knew about romulans being vastly superior since the day they came out, if you dont have a fedmulan tac by now with a fleet ship, repped to tier5.

Its ultimately your choice. The complaining hasnt worked now for 3+ years on cryptics address.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Honestly, I despise the way they introduced the Romulans with superior boffs, I really do.
    But seriously, lets get over it because their views on balance and pure money grabbing wont change ever.

Drunk, to you lad, knew about romulans being vastly superior since the day they came out, if you dont have a fedmulan tac by now with a fleet ship, repped to tier5.

It's ultimately your choice.

And herein you are mistaken, as 'choice' is exactly what the game no longer offers! Yes, you can 'choose' to be inferior, whlist everyone else slots 5x 2.0% CrtH boffs. Or 'choose' not to roll a superior Rom, whilst everyone around you does. But those aren't real choices -- at least no sane ones.

So, yeah, I've been saying this for a long time: with the advent of LoR, Cryptic has been sabotaging their own game. And, indeed, and sadly so, out of sheer greed: 'Make everything new so ridiculously OP, that people will have no choice but to buy it.' Honest balance and real choices went the way of the dinosaur.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited August 2013

Its ultimately your choice. The complaining hasnt worked now for 3+ years on cryptics address.

they ether need to remove the space traits from rom boffs, or do exactly what i lined out lol.

i do have a fed rom tac, with completed rep, a mkXII borg set, a fleet elite shield, a full set of MKXII acc3 forward guns, 3 tech, 3 damage control, 2 BO penetration and 3 shield distribution doffs, and a crew of 4 superior romulans and 2 superior remans, so i always can have 1 equipped regardless of the station setup on any of the ships. i also got all the tier 1 through 4 fleet ships, the vet ship, and the scimitar pack. for all intents and purposes, the character is done, its got it all. my romulan is at its best, i know how powerful a done romulan character is.

its a few month old character, and it could beat any of my 2-3 year old fed or kdf characters easily. power creeped boffs so the other 2 factions can catch up is needed for them to be relevant in the current game. hopefully the right combination of boffs can make up for the lack of battlecloaking. its good for cryptic, there would be a huge scramble to collect the new boffs you want, and a ton of EC spent. a reason to keep loging in and working for something.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    with the release of LoR, we were graced with the romulan faction. thats hilariously better then ether the KDF or fed faction. heres why
    ... (snip, length)
    This is roughly what i was thinking but didn't dare to ask. ;)

Good work DDIS.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    with the release of LoR, we were graced with the romulan faction. thats hilariously better then ether the KDF or fed faction... what are we to do?

buff every other race of boff for KDF and fed so that they can have space traits as powerful.

Excellent ideas DDIS. I fully agree with your suggestions.

/signed +1.

Cryptic: Make is so. Thank you.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah I'm in on this one.

Query (and if I missed this apologies in advance): When you say "adjusted damage" what exactly do you mean? Final damage modifier?
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Me likey. Nice one DDIS.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It might be a good idea to post this in the pvp section also as thats where we notice the most imbalance. I see lots of good pvpers that hardly even play their Fed/KDF characters they worked so long on before. I still try to, but can notice the power creep a lot when on my fed/kdf.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    edited September 2013
    ah good, this is getting bumped. keep in on page 1, if you want to get something like this done
    Yeah I'm in on this one.

Query (and if I missed this apologies in advance): When you say "adjusted damage" what exactly do you mean? Final damage modifier?

its all armchair brainstorming. without math and testing i wouldn't recommend anything to exactly. its all just a general baseline to be refined before implication.
    marc8219 wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to post this in the pvp section also as thats where we notice the most imbalance. I see lots of good pvpers that hardly even play their Fed/KDF characters they worked so long on before. I still try to, but can notice the power creep a lot when on my fed/kdf.

its something that effects pvp most, becase its the only place one factions limitations come up against another's advantages, but this is the section this topic really belongs in