What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Havelock's Tailor and Costume Issues

Comments

• Options
    poofygummy#9278 poofygummy Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So i don't know whether the thread starting post still gets updated, but i'm shocked that no-one said this before:

The hair options are totally awful. As a whole.
    Males basically have five types of hair that have a dozen variants that are all almost exactly the same. There's the alien fokuhila, because having hair on your weird foreheadstructures would just be ridiculous right? There's the electro razor type, because starFLEET amirite? And the gelled up hair, with either a flat top or party king variants. Then there's the type with bald patches. And finally the "someone glued my hair flat to my head" type, combed in an astounding number of different ways.

This is frankly really depressing. It's either 20th century military style, totally unnatural-looking, or hair from StarTrek characters.
    Though you can't even accurately recreate picard's sort-of-bald head.

Where are the afros? Flippy hair? Rasta dreads? Emo bangs? Surfer style? Curly hair? Bowl cut? Or alien tentacles even? Or you know... generally any hair longer than 2 inches?

I absolutely love the customization you can do, but this right here is simply ridiculous. I would pay ZEN for more options.
    Even if they just allowed female hair on male characters for that matter.

And don't get me started on the other way around....

Female proportions.
    We have sliders for everything, but some aren't really working too well.
    The smallest breast size we can get is about C-cup sized. The largest look like they are in anti-gravity-push up bras, and have a weird form.
    Hip and torso sizes are not of this world. It's astonishingly difficult to create a healthy torso, because it will either look like she's wearing a corset, or like she's pregnant... or fat.
    Legs are too long. I mean for goodness' sake i've seen hentai comics with less exaggerated proportions. All but the lowest of leg length settings will make a female look like Barbie.
    How would it be possible to create T'pol for example? Or Janeway? They both had normal body proportions. Or 7/9. As good looking as she might've been, her legs didn't go up to her neck either.

And now, the conclusion:
    It's like as if the creators of this game only intended for us to play manly, balls-y Captain Kirk style space cowboys, or oversexualized 7/9s. But i honestly thought we had moved long past that when TOS ended. What with Q, and Wesley, and (at least character-wise) Janeway.
    Not to sound like some tumblr-social-justice-warrior, but: Please have less differences between the genders.
    Cuz at the moment the "You're a male? You are permitted to have hair ranging from 0 to 40 mm length. You're an alien? You are also permitted to have hair ranging from 200 to 300 mm length on the back of your head."
    Is a bit ****. :D
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Gonna put this in here since I don't think it's important enough to warrant it's own thread.

Got the shorts swimsuit on my Fed Male Alien, and I can't keep using the bony claws hand option with it. It looks weird that when I go to change my shorts, I have to change my hands too lol.

Also a request for next year. All the scales and spots options I have on my Alien stop at his neck. The rest of his body is a normal human body, just colored red. Next time around, any chance I/we can get Alien options to extend to the rest of the body like Trills do?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know that it's been brought up a million times and that it will be brought up a million times more. I know that there's a workaround that sometimes works for it - but - doesn't always.

Isn't there a way just to include a "reset" button? Something that will reset the tailor options for that particular captain or BOFF to the basics? Something that will clear up the palette issues? Something that will clear up the linked palette issues? Something that will clear up faction issues?

Heck, if that reset also reset anatomical proportions to a normal level - that would be awesome, eh? I still /facepalm each time I watch the research presentation on New Romulus. Then again, I've deleted BOFFs that were like that and beyond my ability (and patience) to repair.

It's one of the reasons that I rarely bother with the tailor - it's so dysfunctional and so many BOFFs disfigured.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    So i don't know whether the thread starting post still gets updated, but i'm shocked that no-one said this before:

The hair options are totally awful. As a whole.
    Males basically have five types of hair that have a dozen variants that are all almost exactly the same. There's the alien fokuhila, because having hair on your weird foreheadstructures would just be ridiculous right? There's the electro razor type, because starFLEET amirite? And the gelled up hair, with either a flat top or party king variants. Then there's the type with bald patches. And finally the "someone glued my hair flat to my head" type, combed in an astounding number of different ways.

This is frankly really depressing. It's either 20th century military style, totally unnatural-looking, or hair from StarTrek characters.
    Though you can't even accurately recreate picard's sort-of-bald head.

Where are the afros? Flippy hair? Rasta dreads? Emo bangs? Surfer style? Curly hair? Bowl cut? Or alien tentacles even? Or you know... generally any hair longer than 2 inches?

I absolutely love the customization you can do, but this right here is simply ridiculous. I would pay ZEN for more options.
    Even if they just allowed female hair on male characters for that matter.

And don't get me started on the other way around....

Female proportions.
    We have sliders for everything, but some aren't really working too well.
    The smallest breast size we can get is about C-cup sized. The largest look like they are in anti-gravity-push up bras, and have a weird form.
    Hip and torso sizes are not of this world. It's astonishingly difficult to create a healthy torso, because it will either look like she's wearing a corset, or like she's pregnant... or fat.
    Legs are too long. I mean for goodness' sake i've seen hentai comics with less exaggerated proportions. All but the lowest of leg length settings will make a female look like Barbie.
    How would it be possible to create T'pol for example? Or Janeway? They both had normal body proportions. Or 7/9. As good looking as she might've been, her legs didn't go up to her neck either.

And now, the conclusion:
    It's like as if the creators of this game only intended for us to play manly, balls-y Captain Kirk style space cowboys, or oversexualized 7/9s. But i honestly thought we had moved long past that when TOS ended. What with Q, and Wesley, and (at least character-wise) Janeway.
    Not to sound like some tumblr-social-justice-warrior, but: Please have less differences between the genders.
    Cuz at the moment the "You're a male? You are permitted to have hair ranging from 0 to 40 mm length. You're an alien? You are also permitted to have hair ranging from 200 to 300 mm length on the back of your head."
    Is a bit ****. :D

I agree with you about the hairstyles, but they have added hair with New Romulus, and hopefully it's an ongoing project.

As for the body shapes, you may be interested in this thread.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1102291

The devs currently have new body options in the works, though we may have to wait for Season 9.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    The devs currently have new body options in the works, though we may have to wait for Season 9.
    we have to wait for a date that passed over a month ago?

there's something for the DTI guys to puzzle out
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    we have to wait for a date that passed over a month ago?

there's something for the DTI guys to puzzle out

SORRY :P

Brain wasn't present. I meant whatever next season is. They said the next major content update.

This is where JoeJing said it.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=17177691#post17177691
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    poofygummy#9278 poofygummy Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    rl]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1102291[/url]

Absolutely awesome.

As for the hair thing...
    That is horrendous. Does that mean they had even LESS before?
    I started playing a week ago so i wouldn't know, but damn.
    I'm going to write them a complaint ticket about this, because this is seriously ruining any sort of immersion and character attachment for me.
    I mean you can fine tune how the print on the details of your arm attachment looks, that you rarely ever even see, but you are limited to the same 5 things times 10 on one of the features that is the most obvious about a character?
    I mean a 'Romulan Refugee' i have talked to suddenly changing from female to male between conversations is one thing, because game mechanics and complicated stuff, but ALL people i ever talk to having the same hair is just laziness. It's just modifying some pre-existing meshes and textures and as we could all see the 3d design is really beautiful in this game so that shouldn't be too much work.
    Damn this is outrageous. I seriously don't know how no one is upset about this.:mad:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Absolutely awesome.

As for the hair thing...
    That is horrendous. Does that mean they had even LESS before?
    I started playing a week ago so i wouldn't know, but damn.
    I'm going to write them a complaint ticket about this, because this is seriously ruining any sort of immersion and character attachment for me.
    I mean you can fine tune how the print on the details of your arm attachment looks, that you rarely ever even see, but you are limited to the same 5 things times 10 on one of the features that is the most obvious about a character?
    I mean a 'Romulan Refugee' i have talked to suddenly changing from female to male between conversations is one thing, because game mechanics and complicated stuff, but ALL people i ever talk to having the same hair is just laziness. It's just modifying some pre-existing meshes and textures and as we could all see the 3d design is really beautiful in this game so that shouldn't be too much work.
    Damn this is outrageous. I seriously don't know how no one is upset about this.:mad:

Yep, they added about six or seven hairstyles last year, and then the Khan hair with the Arc promotion this year. And a few more with Season 8.5 and 9, like the short fade haircut that actually looks like African hair.

The New elegant style several female styles specifically for the Romulans. On the Klingon side the AWESOME braided hair is Legacy of Romulus, barely over a year old.

A lot would be helped by unlocking the hairstyles from being species specific. I could really use that braid hairstyle on my Andorian for instance.

Only a few of the hairstyles are really good which is why so many are repeated across so many characters.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Swim shorts do not appear to work for Reman males, I had just purchased and used them tonight, and there was absolutely no swim wear option in the tailor menu, only the usual were there.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Swim shorts do not appear to work for Reman males, I had just purchased and used them tonight, and there was absolutely no swim wear option in the tailor menu, only the usual were there.

Some players have had to log out and log back in (sometimes after many hours) or repeatedly log in and out, just to get the "Swimsuit" option to show.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    callevistacallevista Member Posts: 237 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    My Romulan female character doesnt have the helmet option for the Counter Command (undine rep) armor.

And the String bikini costume is missing its chest!

screenshot_2014-06-05-19-32-44_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Thanks, I'll look into this. From what I gather, your character is a Romulan Female. Can you state the level and which faction she has chosen? (Federation or Klingon Empire)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    We are looking into swimsuit bugs in general, and issues related to Risa (power boards, missing bare skin options, etc).

Furry "skin" for the Ferasans and Caitians are a work-in-progress. We are updating these and other bare-skin related options and get them out to you as they are completed.

Among other bugs we're looking into today are missing body parts when wearing certain combinations of clothing, and the missing admiral's coat.

We are also considering new color choices to be added in the future to existing costume pieces. The reasoning behind the color schemes in general was to keep its original intended theme (for instance Federation clothing to stick with Federation-like colors), but I can see why some have asked for more variety in some cases. At this point no formal plan has been made, but we are investigating how it can be done.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    callevista wrote: »
    We are looking into...
    Thanks Callevista, this is good news!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks Callevista, this is good news!

Agreed :D

A quick question. Am I the only one seeing this black line on the 2-piece swimsuits?

It seems the further out I zoom the more visible it becomes.

One of my other toons is using a 1-piece swimsuit and there is no sign of that line.
  • Options
    kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    daboholic wrote: »
    A quick question. Am I the only one seeing this black line on the 2-piece swimsuits?

It seems the further out I zoom the more visible it becomes.

One of my other toons is using a 1-piece swimsuit and there is no sign of that line.

It's not just you, I've noticed it too.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    kazabok wrote: »
    It's not just you, I've noticed it too.

Thanks guys.
    That's on our list as well. I've already sent it to the artist who is in charge of the swimsuits.
  • Options
    themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    [QUOTE=callevista;17393071We are also considering new color choices to be added in the future to existing costume pieces. The reasoning behind the color schemes in general was to keep its original intended theme (for instance Federation clothing to stick with Federation-like colors), but I can see why some have asked for more variety in some cases. At this point no formal plan has been made, but we are investigating how it can be done.[/QUOTE]

And there was much rejoicing across the Klingon Empire.

The status quo never made any sense. Starfleet officers wander around in uniforms that aren't just "not canon" colours but in combinations of orange, purple and green so hideous even the heartiest Klingon vomits his gagh. Meanwhile, the warriors of the Empire are the ones stuck with red, blue and yellow!
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    This is more of an "oops" than a bug. In regular outfits, my female Liberated Borg uses the Seven of Nine piece on her left hand. In the new Swimsuit category, there is no option for this.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    This is more of an "oops" than a bug. In regular outfits, my female Liberated Borg uses the Seven of Nine piece on her left hand. In the new Swimsuit category, there is no option for this.

I'll forward this to team, and have them take a look.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    We are looking into swimsuit bugs in general, and issues related to Risa (power boards, missing bare skin options, etc).

Furry "skin" for the Ferasans and Caitians are a work-in-progress. We are updating these and other bare-skin related options and get them out to you as they are completed.

Among other bugs we're looking into today are missing body parts when wearing certain combinations of clothing, and the missing admiral's coat.

We are also considering new color choices to be added in the future to existing costume pieces. The reasoning behind the color schemes in general was to keep its original intended theme (for instance Federation clothing to stick with Federation-like colors), but I can see why some have asked for more variety in some cases. At this point no formal plan has been made, but we are investigating how it can be done.

I actually saw a Ferasan in a bikini yesterday and she looked great :confused:

Please look into the color choices and come down on the side of increasing them. It's like with Klingon Bridges which are all red. Captain Kruge's bridge had a bright blue light in the sealing. It's just too dark. Klingons have a more varied color scheme. Brighter silvers and golds are a good start, but not an end.

Here's a question, can we have a way to create our own Klingon family crest to place on our uniforms, like fleet emblems on ships?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    i've seen plenty of caitians and ferasans in swimwear since the event started, and i've got to say...what you already have done for the fur looks incredible

if it's just a WIP, i can't wait to see the final product
    Here's a question, can we have a way to create our own Klingon family crest to place on our uniforms, like fleet emblems on ships?
    or better yet, a way to upload and apply our own special decals for uniform and ship emblems

even if it's just a client side thing, at least it would be good for screenshot moments even if other players can't see them
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Thanks so much for all the things the character team has done. I just have one request. Color names. The color palette is so large and there are so many colors of similar shades. For people like me who are color blind, it makes it very difficult to tell certain colors apart. There is also the fact that even if your eyes are perfect, people can't half tell what shade of blue, yellow, green, ETC they are looking at.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all the things the character team has done. I just have one request. Color names. The color palette is so large and there are so many colors of similar shades. For people like me who are color blind, it makes it very difficult to tell certain colors apart. There is also the fact that even if your eyes are perfect, people can't half tell what shade of blue, yellow, green, ETC they are looking at.
    let me just add on to that by linking myself asking for this exact same thing in a similar thread
    as long as it's going to be that far off, could you see about maybe squeezing in one more feature?

specifically, labels for the various colors in every color palette ingame, so someone who is partially colorblind, for example, will be able to tell exactly what color they're actually applying to something
    there's 2 requests right there, and i know there are probably thousands or other partially or fully colorblind people playing STO, so...possible to do?

pretty please?

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited June 2014
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    nice - is that a proposal for new Caitian and/or Ferasan heads?

Nice idea about naming the color schemes - I'll pass that along to the UI guys.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

i think that was his version of this:
    pretty please?

but i wouldn't say no to more feline-like heads if it can be done
    YUS! *dances for joy* here's hoping it can actually be done

though i don't see why it couldn't, since those palettes already show alpha neumeric text when you hover over one

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited June 2014

More head and ear types would always be good...but yes, it was a pretty please image :P.

And thank you for passing it on! It would really help!
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks, I'll look into this. From what I gather, your character is a Romulan Female. Can you state the level and which faction she has chosen? (Federation or Klingon Empire)

I'm having the same issue of a missing torso and arms with the string bikini on my female Orion.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1140291
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Some players have had to log out and log back in (sometimes after many hours) or repeatedly log in and out, just to get the "Swimsuit" option to show.

Tried it, and alas no go.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I want to know why Cryptic can't make ONE universal Color Palette throughout the game. The latest fail was the messed up Swimsuit version that has all the colors all mixed up in a weird way.
    Time to reinvent the palette and give is a CMYK slider interface instead and replace all the tints with shadows and highlights instead on the different skins and clothes in the game. So that we if we like can have an alien with #FFFFFF (true white) skin or #000000 (true black) on our Wells uniform instead of grey. I mean just look at that swimsuit pallet. plenty of light colors that pretty much look all white, but no black. I wonder which of those two colors are the most common ones for swimwear. My money is on black. Yet that can't be found in that palette.

Not forgetting the (which Cryptic seem to have done) the BASE COMPLEXION & OVERALL PATTERN for the skin. They need to continue down on to the bodies. Not only the Host pattern that needs to be a duplicate of the Trill pattern all the way to the feet, but also the Imhotir, Kobali, Pitted, Spots 01, Spots 04, Spots 05, Spots 06, Spots 07, Spots 08, Spots 09, Spots 10, Stripes 01, Stripes 02, Stripes 03, Coral, Kreetassan, Benzite, Lissepian 01, Lissepian 02, Neck Scales, NPC Reman, Saowin, Saurian, Tendrils, Infected and Reman 1.

You can do it either as a whole new Menu by separating body and head so one can choose which pattern to use on the body and which on the head. Or you can just make sure these settings cover the whole body.

It's about time now. This has been missing for years. If you need someone to take charge of this I'm available but more importantly I'm cheap labour. ;)

And before someone cries "but they are C-store unlocks" about some of them.

This is true to all buy-able species and their special parts.

Make those who have paid for them get them unlocked for the Alien generator.
    Clearly you have registered who have bought what species.
    Making this happen will indeed cause more players to buy these species just to get access to those parts for the Alien generator. If it works for Champions it can be made to work here too.