What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Downloading Arc

Comments

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok, can someone actually tell me why I would want Arc on my PC??
    See, I don't play any other PWE games and STO is pretty much the only one I'm interested in. I'm here because of ST. Regardless of how many shiny bilboards and commercials you shove in my face, that won't change. I'm just not into those types of game. I'm more of a space sci-fi fan.

So, again, why would I want added piece of bloatware running in background and using portion of my PC resources that does nothing positive for me??
    I'm fine with the current launcher, tywm, if this thing becomes mandatory as expected I'll really need to reconsider my position.

Tell me, with all the latest sub. not receiving Zen issues, loses of promotional subscriptions, payment issues and now this marvel that is Arc - Is PWE in somekind of a contest to see how many people they can drive off?!? :confused:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    NCSoft did the same thing with City of Heroes. CoH was the only NCSoft game I played, and I had to go through the NCSoft launcher. It wasn't a big deal. I wasn't inundated with ads, and the launcher had an option to close after you launched your game. I didn't download other games, even though there was the option to, because I didn't want to play them.

Was it a transparent attempt at trying to get people to play other games? Yes. That didn't mean I had to play those games, and it's the same situation here.
  • Options
    resumodresumod Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Let me say it in an easy way.
    I don't have a Steam account
    I don't have an Uplay account
    I don't have an Origin account
    I never had an Impulse account
    I never had an Triton account
    No gamersgate no whatever.

I never bound a game to an account - exept pure online games. I not even activated a game that i only wanted to play local.

Nor i downloaded any of this spyware.

I'm not that happy with the combinated PWE account.
    And i don't want Arc as an Steamlike spyware.

And i don't play any other PWE game atm nor do i want to play an other PWE game atm. And yes, i know the games.
    I want to choose if i want to start STO with the old launcher (no it is clear why this buggy thing has not been touched for a long time exept some minor bugfixing) or if i want to use some asian steam.

But hell, I don't even want to use the US Steam or the "Steam" from europe.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Arc is here. Are you are referring to the possibility that it may be required in the future? If so, we'd love to eventually evolve Arc to the point where it is fully integrated in all of our games, but we're simply not ready to do that yet, as we're still in the experimental, early development phase. First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience.

Regarding existing players*, my quote from the other thread when we introduced it still holds true:

*Do note that if you uninstall the game and need to reinstall, or get a new computer, you will need to download Arc to install and launch STO.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

People do not like it Brandon ... and I have always stuck up for STO, but ... this ... I cannot stick up for.

DOWN WITH ARC
    DOWN WITH ARC
    DOWN WITH ARC
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While I don't plan on downloading or using Arc myself right now, I find it interesting that the reactions here seem almost exactly the same as Steam when it first came out.

Steam had people complaining about having to use a platform for just 1 game they wanted, a platform that only worked with the one company's products, complained about the resources it took up, etc.

So I'm not going to hate on it, or blame them for trying it. Though I'm probably not going to use it at this stage either, but will see where it goes.
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm extremely concerned by this development. Let's be frank - it may now only be required for new users - but we all know that this is just one step in making it mandatory for all users. This was evident from the moment it was announced.

I like Star Trek - and it is only because of this that I like STO. I do not like any other MMORPGs, and have zero interest or inclination to play them - no adverts will change this. Out of fairness, I took the liberty just now of visiting the PWE site for research purposes - so that I could see whether any of their titles might actually appeal. None did in the slightest - even those that are free to play.

Hence the underlying aim of this arc thingy (to get players interested in the other PWE titles) - has no benefit to me as a customer (and a paying one at that).

It is probably going to be the opposite - and be an active nuisance. I will be required to download bloatware that will use up system resources, likely increase load time. I also fear it will be collecting data in the background, and will constantly need to patch/download to receive the latest updates to its adverts. I share the concerns of respected players like Bluegeek, who have expressed the downsides of this far more eloquently that I am able.

No matter how PR tries to spin this - the majority of players who are aware of this simply do not want it.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Okay, for those who are worried about this thing collecting data in the background, I just installed Arc and it DOES give you the option to turn that off when you install it.
  • Options
    moradummoradum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Say no to spyware
  • Options
    purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tangolight wrote: »
    While I don't plan on downloading or using Arc myself right now, I find it interesting that the reactions here seem almost exactly the same as Steam when it first came out.

I'm still not that keen on Steam. I fail to see why people get so infatuated with it.
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    I like Star Trek - and it is only because of this that I like STO. I do not like any other MMORPGs, and have zero interest or inclination to play them - no adverts will change this. Out of fairness, I took the liberty just now of visiting the PWE site for research purposes - so that I could see whether any of their titles might actually appeal. None did in the slightest - even those that are free to play.

Hence the underlying aim of this arc thingy (to get players interested in the other PWE titles) - has no benefit to me as a customer (and a paying one at that).

I seem to recall one of PWE's aims when acquiring Cryptic was to expand away from its Asian markets, and start having an impact in the rest of the world.
    the thought occurs that this hasn't happened, and so Arc, to force people to be exposed to advertising for their other games.

I wonder if it occurred to anyone at PWE that the reason No-one from the west got interested in their other games is because its an utterly different culture and the PWE style games just plain do not appeal.

Increased adds, well that'll have two effects. Annoying people, and forcing others away.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Okay, for those who are worried about this thing collecting data in the background, I just installed Arc and it DOES give you the option to turn that off when you install it.

The fact it has that capabilities isn't going to make anyone feel better.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I'll have to try it just to see what it actually does. I'm skeptical about things saying its not doing something and then find out its not doing what its conveying.

Edit: I guess I can keep an open mind for now anyways lol...

I also see what people are talking about because it recognizes I have neverwinter installed but it doesn't acknowledge that I have STO already installed.
  • Options
    amwolfeamwolfe Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Ha ha ha.

I love it, is it a big red button that says "TOTALLY SAFE I SWEAR!" on the spyware they're shoving down our throats?

I'm absolutely sure that I believe them too.
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Apart from the fact I dislike :mad:ARC:mad: anyway, what is the spying I am hearing about?

(DOWN WITH ARC!
    DOWN WITH MANDATORY ARC!
    )
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Does it have an option to close Arc after the game has launched?

If not its like the bus driver hanging out with you after he drops you off where your going. Incredibly creepy and totally unnecessary.

Launchers should just launch the game and be gone. We don't need the Swiss Army Knife of launchers that does 10 things we don't need and wont go away or stop eating any of our computers resources once its done the one job we do need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daharmasterklagdaharmasterklag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you want to make it optional for those who want it that's fine.

I don't want ARC at all, so this is a vote no.. Thanks for your cooperation! :)
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Sadly after it is installed you can't change the option it seems.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    From what I can see so far the only things it doesn't do is play the game in the launcher or post/view forum threads but if it allowed you to read/write/post in forums it would actually be some use.

Only problem I have is it see's neverwinter installed but not STO.
  • Options
    r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It installed fine, a fair bit of it does not seem to do anything yet though. "Last Played" doesn't work, says I played STO last over a month ago. Overlay doesn't seem to crash stuff which is always good, but the stuff on it all either doesn't apply to STO or doesn't function yet.

Nothing at all that serves any use to me, just bloat for bloats sake as far as I can see. I don't need a launcher for my launcher, or more "Buy Zen!" ads.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    It installed fine, a fair bit of it does not seem to do anything yet though. "Last Played" doesn't work, says I played STO last over a month ago. Overlay doesn't seem to crash stuff which is always good, but the stuff on it all either doesn't apply to STO or doesn't function yet.

Nothing at all that serves any use to me, just bloat for bloats sake as far as I can see. I don't need a launcher for my launcher, or more "Buy Zen!" ads.

Yeah I feel bloated too... I did love that game as a kid that had the box inside the box that's what this reminds me of.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No thanks.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I probally shouldn't have done this but arc seems to have deleted the fully patched client I had and is now trying to re-download it now...

I can only thing of one word for this...
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Let me make this perfectly clear to you Brandon, i want to be as polite as possible, so please also pass this along too your Chinese overlords.

I will never install this spyware onto my PC. I tried to the first time you attempted to push it, and it was as buggy as any bloatware/spyware could be.
    If you do try, I will simply "modify" it (so it doesn't track anything I do) and use the normal launcher anyway.

I have ZERO interest in any other PWE game, and will never play any other game with PWE involvement....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would like to know if this is going to be forced on us BEFORE I purchase it, so could you please just tell us flat out if you are going to be requiring arc or not, just a simple yes or no please. Thank you.

It's already been answered: Any new/reinstalls from Thursday on will require it, meaning the only "as yet to appear" step is making it required for existing players...and if anyone doubts that happening, see "Cryptic/PWE account."
    farmallm wrote: »
    Looks interesting.

Big question, will this allow Apple users to log on with a Apple computer?

Sure...as long as you can already log on with BootCamp or some other workaround. :D
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's already been answered: Any new/reinstalls from Thursday on will require it, meaning the only "as yet to appear" step is making it required for existing players...and if anyone doubts that happening, see "Cryptic/PWE account."

Easiest thing to do (which is what I do) is install to a separate hard drive. Then should you ever need to reinstall or your pc breaks, you have the copy on the other hard drive which just needs the short cut carried over ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited July 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Easiest thing to do (which is what I do) is install to a separate hard drive. Then should you ever need to reinstall or your pc breaks, you have the copy on the other hard drive which just needs the short cut carried over ;)

Yeah I figured it would be as simple as that but arc has taken over and will only accept the directory I made to test it out...

I see what happens when you keep an open mind with this bloatware.
  • Options
    cellanoid#1655 cellanoid Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I think I'll be keeping my regular launchers, thanks.

You may have already deleted the download for Champions Online, but I managed to snag that from someone on the forums.

I'll be keeping those launchers on a thumb drive in case my computer dies or I get a new one.

I will not use Arc just for STO, NW, and CO.

Those are the only games offered by PWE that are worth my time.

The rest can sod off.
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited July 2013
    I probally shouldn't have done this but arc seems to have deleted the fully patched client I had and is now trying to re-download it now...

I can only thing of one word for this...

wth that ain't right stupid beta software junk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    wth that ain't right stupid beta software junk

Yeah its pissing me off right about now too. Figured I could just use the one that is already patched up but this arc is over riding it only allowing it to try to launch from the new directory I made to test it. I guess I might be able to get back on tommorrow missed my last batch of dilithium refineing :(
  • Options
    bassmas314bassmas314 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    duneczan3 wrote: »
    Should I be worried that the icon for Arc immediately made me think of Aperture Science?

I was thinking more like the Iconian symbol. Either way a bad omen in my opinion.
  • Options
    bassmas314bassmas314 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well Brandon, if the bulk of the posts in this thread are any indication, we most certainly do NOT want it, yet it appears it is being forced on us regardless of the desires of the community at large.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To me why bother. I already run Boot Camp for my Mac to play STO. So why should I download some other program just to play STO. When I'm doing it now with the regular launcher. Now if it helped me play STO on my Mac side instead of going through Boot Camp. Then that will get my attention. Then again forcing us to use it as well. Then that don't leave the ones still wanting to play much a choice.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
This discussion has been closed.