test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Downloading Arc

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited August 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We are excited to announce the next testing phase for Arc, our incredible, easy-to-use platform that has been created for you! Read more for details.

Click here to read more.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For me? Really? Oh, you didn't have to... Especially since I don't want it...

I really hope this won't end up being yet another useless client that runs in the background in addition to running the game, resulting in more computer memory usage...

And what about Steam users? Will they have to use Steam client to run an Arc client to play the game...? Oh god forbids they use some kind of Raptr app on top of that as well...

*sigh*
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Will Arc be updated to be the client through Steam? I already play most PWE games through the STO client (show all games option), through Steam.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • Options
    packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Arc is almost certainly coming now...
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Call me a noob. But can arc work on my Kindle Fire HD?

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "...starting this Thursday, July 18th, new players registering to play STO will be downloading the Arc client first before jumping in-game."

So they must download Arc first, before a new user can play STO? Correct?

From this forum thread(page two namely)....it's was optional.....I'm not holding Brandon's feet to the fire on this one, because things change, and he's just the messenger....

Now if the post from today(16 July 2013)reads as plainly as it appears - now new users must download Arc first.....

Step 1) Completely Optional
    Step 2) Optional for everybody pre 18 July 2013

And what's the logical conclusion I wonder?*eyeroll*......All users must start using this?...Eventually?

Edit: The above made sense in my head.....train of thought kinda thing......
    Edit 2: Also went back and read the first Arc thread people are confirming the above conclusion
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Boo. I don't need any more bloatware on my PC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I reject this move. I already have the desktop launcher client for patching my game (and neverwinter), why would I want or have to download a steam-ish client before I can play STO?

Players could already download it and play it via Steam. this is enough or many of us. I'm therefore against the Arc Client. Don't need it, don't like it, don't want it. I'll update and play STO from the desktop patcher/launcher that I've been using since 2012, thanks.
  • Options
    kriss257kriss257 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Boo. I don't need any more bloatware on my PC.

Agree, 1 more thing that could go wrong.
    first impression, looks like steam client.:(
    10Chars and I play them ALL.

76561198045166665.png
  • Options
    matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    For me? Really? Oh, you didn't have to... Especially since I don't want it...

I really hope this won't end up being yet another useless client that runs in the background in addition to running the game, resulting in more computer memory usage...

And what about Steam users? Will they have to use Steam client to run an Arc client to play the game...? Oh god forbids they use some kind of Raptr app on top of that as well...

*sigh*

"O hai, I heard you don't like launchers. So we put a launcher in your launcher, so you can run a launcher while you're running a launcher in a launcher in a launcher"

Sigh. Is this a contest, PWE? To see how much more out-of-touch you can get with your player base? WHO ARE YOU COMPETING AGAINST?!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    packer3434 wrote: »
    Arc is almost certainly coming now...

Arc is here. Are you are referring to the possibility that it may be required in the future? If so, we'd love to eventually evolve Arc to the point where it is fully integrated in all of our games, but we're simply not ready to do that yet, as we're still in the experimental, early development phase. First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience.

Regarding existing players*, my quote from the other thread when we introduced it still holds true:
    Nothing is changing at this point. Feel free to continue launching directly from the launcher :) If that changes, we'll be sure to communicate it.

*Do note that if you uninstall the game and need to reinstall, or get a new computer, you will need to download Arc to install and launch STO.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well if we are forced to use this s@#* im done, simple as that (no offence towards you bran)
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am asking you please, please, please DON'T make this mandatory (on this note, are you informing new players that they will be downloading invasive software to download/play the game?). I know I am just one person and my opinion may not count for much, but I really don't want to leave this game. I have a lot of time, effort and money invested in my characters, and I really love STO. But if I have to use invasive software like arc, steam, raptr or whatever to launch/play the game I'll be gone in a shot. And I know I'm not the only one. This is not going to make anything "better" for me. STO is the only game I play so I don't need easy access to all pwe games. If I need to communicate with anyone I do it in game. The regular launcher is fine. If you want to implement this, fine, do so, just PLEASE DON"T make it mandatory.

By the way, I will be getting enough money soon for a lifetime subscription. I would like to know if this is going to be forced on us BEFORE I purchase it, so could you please just tell us flat out if you are going to be requiring arc or not, just a simple yes or no please. Thank you.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Interesting, side stepping the Steam question.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • Options
    thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ....The only thing this would force me to do.....is go to Steam....
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *Do note that if you uninstall the game and need to reinstall, or get a new computer, you will need to download Arc to install and launch STO.

This I have an issue with. Forcing people (even new people) to use Arc can only acts as a barrier of entry. It makes the game impossible to get without the crud. If Arc is so great, it should stand on its own merits. It's it isn't then it shouldn't drag down your games with it.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Will Arc be updated to be the client through Steam? I already play most PWE games through the STO client (show all games option), through Steam.

At this time, nothing is changing with how you play STO through Steam.

P.S. Wasn't side-stepping, I was waiting for an answer.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So, in the future, if you don't have steam or something like that (maybe, not sure on this) you will at some point in the future have to use the ARC launcher to play STO. If PWE is actually listening, mark my vote as no thank you.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    From the Blog:
    For our existing players, nothing is changing at this time. Feel free to continue launching directly from the launcher you use today. If there are any changes to this, we?ll be sure to communicate them.

So, what does this mean? probably in 3 months or less, we'll suddenly need 'Arc' to launch any Cryptic MMO; and they'll have some half tested procedure to upgrade/cut over to 'Arc'; - which will cause major issues and loss of account access -- but then, of course Branflakes will come to the defense of PWE when legions of players either express dissatisfaction or have legitimate issues stating PWE Support will quickly answer tickets, etc.

In short, it'll be a repeat of the PWE/Cryptic account linking debacle - and we'll probably get an hour or less (or no) notice much like what happened with the last Forum 'update'/'upgrade'; and a massive 'apology' after a week or more of player outrage.

But hey, I guess we'll have to swallow PWE bloatware (and I hope that's the worst of what it is) if we want to continue playing STO. Nice how this is a top priority; while doing some sort of online/electronic 'receipt' for in game C-Store item purchases or verification to players of the distribution of monthly Zen stipends is beyond the capability of their player account systems.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I know the reasoning behind this but it most likely will not work.

If you go back to the newer days of STO you will find that the other Cryptic games were not well liked and that the only thing that originally brought customers to Cryptic was the Star Trek label slapped onto the game other than that most players won't find other games appealing.

So pretty much I'd pretty much find somewhere else to find gaming enjoyment if this is forced down on us to try to get us to play the other games that Star Trek fans like myself have no interest in.

Edit: I'm betting the major factor behind this is older PWE games, Champions, and Neverwinter probally are not meeting their mark according to PWE standards and they are hoping by investing time in "Arc" that it will bring the animals into their low player base games that no one would ever spend a dime on.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh great my computer died about a week an half ago, new hard drive means i need to reinstall STO and now arc! So guess what boys and girls.... steam here i come!
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience.
    No launcher is gonna "improve" my STO experience. And if you want to make sure I'm gonna like it, then make it completely optional, as my gaming experience surely doesn't involve pointless clients using up even more of my CPU memory.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    duneczan3duneczan3 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Should I be worried that the icon for Arc immediately made me think of Aperture Science?
  • Options
    lnknprksoldierlnknprksoldier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only thing that would make me switch from using steam is if the Arc overlay browser has bookmarks. Which it doesn't look like it does.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm betting the major factor behind this is older PWE games, Champions, and Neverwinter probally are not meeting their mark according to PWE standards and they are hoping by investing time in "Arc" that it will bring the animals into their low player base games that no one would ever spend a dime on.

I think you may be spot on, though I would imagine this is coming from PWE, not Cryptic. The only thing forcing me to use an additional client/usage spy will do is cause some serious consideration of whether STO is still worth playing. I am absolutely no more likely to spend anything on the 15 fantasy anime clones PWE already has.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yeah aperture science really had their employees wellbeing in mind!
  • Options
    chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "For our existing players, nothing is changing at this time."

I don't want your bloatware. I love STO. I may not be a career officer but I have spent money on this game. However, if you attempt to force this program down my throat, I will leave.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    No launcher is gonna "improve" my STO experience. And if you want to make sure I'm gonna like it, then make it completely optional, as my gaming experience surely doesn't involve pointless clients using up even more of my CPU memory.

LOL, there was another game that the name is censored in these forums that did this and they made it where you basically cannot play their game anymore.

Basically this thing is gonna be like launcher problems + new season problems all wrapped into one that is mandatory.
  • Options
    packer3434packer3434 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Arc is here. Are you are referring to the possibility that it may be required in the future? If so, we'd love to eventually evolve Arc to the point where it is fully integrated in all of our games, but we're simply not ready to do that yet, as we're still in the experimental, early development phase. First, we want to test it out, add new features, make sure people like it, and, above all else, grow it into something that players want to use because it legitimately improves the overall game experience.

Regarding existing players*, my quote from the other thread when we introduced it still holds true:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I was talking about the possibility of it being required for everyone. You say you're not ready but it's quite obvious that's the path that pwe are taking.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Bran, let me be abundantly clear:

The instant you require a secondary program installed on my machine I will be leaving STO permanently. Forcing a third party application on people will not win PWE any friends.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I think you may be spot on, though I would imagine this is coming from PWE, not Cryptic. The only thing forcing me to use an additional client/usage spy will do is cause some serious consideration of whether STO is still worth playing. I am absolutely no more likely to spend anything on the 15 fantasy anime clones PWE already has.

Yeah I figured it was PWE because Cryptic has hard enough time with this launcher we have now to even deal with building yet another launcher so yeah I agree with you this isn't Cryptic behind this Arc its PWE.

Yeah its mainly something they are doing to try to give life to games they made that are merely just clones of other games that had their 15 minutes of fame that aren't even played anymore so I don't know why for the life of me someone would want to play a clone of something that has already died off in its original format LOL.
This discussion has been closed.