What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Downloading Arc

Comments

• Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hmm... does the Arc come with always-on Kinect requirement to play STO?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I feel for you bran, no TRIBBLE towards you just your employers ( please you must understand why we don't want this, surely?! )
  • Options
    purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWE is working on this, not Cryptic.

And that makes me feel SOOOOO much better.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Please don't force arc on people
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWE is working on this, not Cryptic. STO's Game Devs are at Cryptic, the same Devs that make the game and work on bug fixes.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Soooo,

Have PWE channel more resources into STO QA instead of developing unnecessary spamware?
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    See, here's the thing.

I can understand PWE "displaying their wares" as a unified launcher. I can also easily see why they'd want to make it easier to purchase Zen in-game. I don't blame them for either of those things. That won't stop me from downloading it.

Why wouldn't I want it? Let me count the ways and explain why I might not want it:

* Uses too many system resources and starves my game's performance

* Gets in the way while I'm trying to play

* Forces ads on me in-game (Don't much care about before playing, unless it gets in the way)

* Collects more information than they already get from me simply playing the game

* Invades my privacy or otherwise behaves like adware/spyware

* Basically locks me out if I'm unwilling to stay on the Windows-centric bandwagon.

* Introduces a brand new vector for security vulnerabilities to worry about (a launcher that exits once the game starts is less worrysome.)

I'm not saying Arc will do all that, just things it might do that might turn me off from playing STO for good.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    halfblack1 wrote: »
    What about Lifers like me I DO NOT NEED another Steam/Origin half-&^% thing running in me background of my computer.

Perhaps I should have said "Gold players"... I thought subs implicitly included Lifers.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
  • Options
    laro1984laro1984 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i think 90% of the players dont want this but you know what :D no one will listen or change anything, this thing it will come like steam and the other stuff we dont like ... they will only learn when we all stop buying there games but we wont do that ... and so we have to live with **** like this ...
  • Options
    dracknaldracknal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd like to add my voice to those calling for no more bloatware. ARC is, simply put, a bad idea.

And just in case... I just d/l the launcher installer which I then archived. I'll keep that just in case I have to re-install STO on my PC or any other PC in the future. Anyone not wanting this garbage on their machine may want to do something similar. The installer is only 100mb or so archived so the space it would take up is negligible.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    See, here's the thing.

I can understand PWE "displaying their wares" as a unified launcher. I can also easily see why they'd want to make it easier to purchase Zen in-game. I don't blame them for either of those things. That won't stop me from downloading it.

Why wouldn't I want it? Let me count the ways and explain why I might not want it:

* Uses too many system resources and starves my game's performance

* Gets in the way while I'm trying to play

* Forces ads on me in-game (Don't much care about before playing, unless it gets in the way)

* Collects more information than they already get from me simply playing the game

* Invades my privacy or otherwise behaves like adware/spyware

* Basically locks me out if I'm unwilling to stay on the Windows-centric bandwagon.

* Introduces a brand new vector for security vulnerabilities to worry about (a launcher that exits once the game starts is less worrysome.)

I'm not saying Arc will do all that, just things it might do that might turn me off from playing STO for good.

Indeed bluegeek.

I don't blame Brandon, but don't force this nonsense on us. This is just like EA and its Origin spyware program. Yeah, I called it that. And? We don't need it and we don't want it. I play only one game, STO. I don't play any of "their" other games and never will. I don't need another program to bog down my computer for one game. Don't forget this part about me and many others in here. I am a Star Trek fan first and yours second.
  • Options
    nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like Arc but it should be optional. I have problems with Star Trek on Steam so that is why I use it. It would seem really stupid though to have Steam start up a program like itself to run a game.

It'd be like getting on a bus, that drives onto a bus to get to your destination. :/
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • Options
    salemkanesalemkane Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To sum it all up: Not Interrested...

But i see a "Must do or you screwed" approach later (as was the PWE Integration which Nuked my name, posts and messages in the old forum...)

Also whats with all this "We have (poorly) Copied Valves Buisness model" hype lately?
    GMoNbU.png
    SalemKane is Seel, still alive and kicking since 2009
    Beta Tester
    Gone throu the Klingon hell and back.
    Your One Man solution to Elite STF's.
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    laro1984 wrote: »
    i think 90% of the players dont want this but you know what :D no one will listen or change anything, this thing it will come like steam and the other stuff we dont like ... they will only learn when we all stop buying there games but we wont do that ... and so we have to live with **** like this ...

You and I might wish that was true, but I have a hunch that a lot of new players simply won't care. They may not know enough to realize that it could be a problem, and so they will simply follow the directions they are given and install it.

Even some of us who do care and do know enough might go ahead and do it if it otherwise means we can't play our favorite game.

And PWE has to know that.

As for me, when I buy a new PC I might just try copying over my whole STO folder and see if I can get the launcher to run. Depends on the feedback I hear about Arc.

I have my doubts about how tightly they'll be able to integrate Arc into all of the existing games. Which they'd have to do in order to provide a better gaming experience. We'll see.
  • Options
    stararmystararmy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't want this at all.
    Zinc: The universe of Star Trek Online is shaped and changed by the actions of the players...expect to see new planets and races discovered that were unknown the last time you logged in."
  • Options
    erockererocker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yuck, I absolutely will not use this. If is ever forced to be used I will make sure to get around using it somehow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    betanembetanem Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All I have to say is this, I will stop playing sto if I EVER have to use this arc client. :mad:
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic, if this becomes mandatory i'm going back to planet side 2. I,m also seriously considering NOT spending $50 tomorrow (i was planning to buy simi 3 pack) please cryptic DO NOT MAKE ARC MANDATORY!!!!!!!!!

Please excuse spelling i wrote it on my tablet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic and PWE, you may not know exactly what this is going to end up being but in all fairness I feel we are entitled to know EXACTLY what the design goals are for ARC. I don't feel were actual entitled to a lot but this I do.

This is a major change and is being forced on us now because we can't reinstall STO without it. Previously you said there is no change to existing players; the fact we cant reinstall without ARC completely contradicts that.

No matter what direction your looking at this we need a lot of questions answered and it only makes sense that you need our questions answered too since people who don't know if they will stay won't spend more money on STO till they make up their mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gilineagilinea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My feedback on Arc: I do not have it, and do not want it. I realize that the purpose is to "encourage" people to try other PWE games. I'm already aware of them - I don't play them because I DO NOT LIKE THEM.

I tried Perfect World International once. After spending most of a day downloading it, I made one character and entered the starting area. After five or ten minutes of fighting with the UI (click to move, couldn't invert the mouse, etc) and watching the juvenile, profanity laden gibberish in Zone chat, I logged out and immediately uninstalled the game.

At this point, since Arc *IS* now required to re-install the game, if I have a system failure that would force a new install, I simply won't be re-installing the game. I have a LTS for both Champions and Star Trek Online. I've spent far more than I care to think about on C-Store ships in STO, and on costumes and character slots in both games. And my dislike for programs such as Arc is strong enough that I'd simply walk away rather than deal with it.

In short, I do not like ARC, do not want it, and don't see how it offers any possible benefit to me. I will probably quit being a customer entirely WHEN it becomes mandatory. I also completely expect it to become mandatory anyway, since the almighty metrics undoubtedly show that most people either don't care, or won't follow through on threats to quit.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If PWE really needs a whole new client to advertise their other games instead of telling Cryptic to put their usual ladies into the existing Cryptic ad boxes, then something is going on...

I might try Arc out, to see if it's as bad as we are worried about... Especially since I see the "join ARC today for bonuses" then the inevitable "arc or no STO"...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    bluewafflemungbluewafflemung Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What a load of B.S. I agree with most of the players here. if i have to reinstall this game and i am forced to use arc forget it. Not worth the trouble. I have spent 1500 bucks since we had to reg with perfect world. before that 2k at least. If the implament this thats money you can say good bye to.
  • Options
    aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWE, Ubisoft, EA.... you're all the same with your shockingly awful distribution platforms just because Steam has 95% of the market. PWE is a shovelware company on top of that, I don't play STO to have to go through, interact, or even be reminded of your companies' other titles.

If Arc becomes a requirement I'll take my business elsewhere.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just making sure I'm getting this straight: ARC will be required to download the installer in future, correct? Not the actual game? Just the setup wizard?

If so, then I'm fine; I still have my CD copy from when I pre-ordered the game! :D

As for everyone complaining about this; if you're that irritated, there are 3 keys on your keyboard you should know about. I find them very helpful when I want to shut down background processes I don't want. Ctrl, Alt, and Delete.

Saying that, I see why people may not like this; I'm already up to nearly full memory on both hard drives (planning to get an external at some point. Also going to uninstall the game which shall not be named since I don't play it.) and I don't need another Steam-like client.

That being said, I wouldn't mind using it so long as it isn't ridiculous. I had to download Steam to run Empire: Total War, which was an inconvenience, but because of it I've found several gems in the realm of computer gaming. Arc may become something similar for PWE if given time.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Looks interesting.

Big question, will this allow Apple users to log on with a Apple computer?
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
This discussion has been closed.