Install Arc
Options

Downloading Arc

Comments

• Options
    raketh1raketh1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    For me? Really? Oh, you didn't have to... Especially since I don't want it...

This line just cracked me up. lol :D

It pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter - I don't want more bloatware installed on my PC running in the background. I have no interest in other PWE titles either. Yes I use Steam, but that's the only platform I have or will ever use. As it currently stands, I've stopped buying EA titles since I don't want the manditory Origin install.

Whatever happened to the good old days of installing a game and simply clicking play without the need for all this frivolous TRIBBLE? :(

A big no from me, and I'm just going to be to the point: You can take Arc and shove it, PWE.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have been in the tech industry for 20 years and do not understand how installing a wrapper client that will instal another client is a 'feature'.

Also, all the other features can be obtained elsewhere. PWE is well known for not duplicating work. What benefit is there for them to have all these Arc features duplicated from other areas?
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    herpeticherpetic Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I installed the new software without needing it because I liked the sound of a media booster. My movies have been playing a little slowly recently and I thought maybe I had a virus or something, but since installing Pando(R)(TM) Media Booster(R)(TM), my movies have been faster, and in higher definition.

I'm glad that PWE have decided to make such an altruistic move, and encourage everyone to install this software.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Okay, for those who are worried about this thing collecting data in the background, I just installed Arc and it DOES give you the option to turn that off when you install it.

Thats completely besides the point we don't want a useless piece of junk taking up hard drive space
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kokushibyokokushibyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Um pando media booster has been in the install for STO for years now. Nothing new ;)

As for ARC itself, I've tried it and it's okay. Will I use it constantly? Probably not unless it becomes a requirement then I suppose I'd have no choice hehe.

It's not in my install.

Relevant: http://processes.glarysoft.com/PMB.exe/4966/
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kokushibyo wrote: »
    It's not in my install.

Relevant: http://processes.glarysoft.com/PMB.exe/4966/

As far as I know, you only need Pando Media Booster to install STO, after that's done you can uninstall it, that's what I did. If this is the way ARC will work, I'll be fine with it and I'll get rid of it when I'm done
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    For me? Really? Oh, you didn't have to... Especially since I don't want it...

This. If it's made for "me" then "I" decide wether I use more useless periphal junk or not. And I choose "no".

Thanks again, Cryptic.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ARC is useless for STO, because STO does not support CORE Connect or other services of PWE. You have no access to your fleet/guild, your friends and your mails.

If you start STO from Arc, the old launcher opens. So what is the reason for using Arc?

The commercials and popups for other PWE games? I do not want other games, i want to play STO.

And the ingame layer ist also not working for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jarvisbasknightjarvisbasknight Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1 day, 20 pages of nearly negative feedback. General consensus is nobody wants an additional piece of software added to the game. What do we know, we are just the customers.
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If this 'ARC' is NOT optional, it is the end of my STO career.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    herpetic wrote: »
    I installed the new software without needing it because I liked the sound of a media booster. My movies have been playing a little slowly recently and I thought maybe I had a virus or something, but since installing Pando(R)(TM) Media Booster(R)(TM), my movies have been faster, and in higher definition.

I'm glad that PWE have decided to make such an altruistic move, and encourage everyone to install this software.

It's not uncommon for a company to have their employees go to various forums on the internet where there are complaints about their product and talk about how great it is. That's what you sound like.

And Cryptic is not "encouraging" anybody to install PMB. They are forcing it upon them.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/download The "Direct Download" forces you to instal Pando Media Booster. It won't let you download and install the game otherwise.

About 2-3 months ago I was having problems with my computer and had to reinstall Windows and STO. On the STO download page there was an alternative option to download the game. Bit Torrent. That option is no longer there, as you can see the only option is the "Direct Download".

I used my head and copied the installation files for STO that I downloaded via bit torrent to an external hard drive just in case I ever needed to install it again.

I will NOT have that Pando **** on my system. A few years ago I installed an MMO to try it (don't remember which one) and the game lagged like hell. I looked in Windows Task Manager and saw something called Pando Media Booster and googled it to see what the hell it was. I found 2 major complaints about it.

#1 Often times it is bundled with software and installs without notifying the user about it. Users don't know it's there and constantly running and wonder why their internet connection seems to be real slow.

#2 Since it is constantly running if the user doesn't know about it, it takes up a lot of bandwidth. This is very bad for people who pay for so much bandwidth each month. It can put them over their cap and cause them extra charges for their internet bill.

#3 It doesn't "boost" anything. It slows down your internet connection and makes games and stuff run slow. This is from my own experience.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am not touching this filthy spyware and will kill it with FIRE on sight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enigmatepes2814enigmatepes2814 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't use steam, and play STO as well as Neverwinter, so I installed Arc. Only problem with this launcher I had, is that it WON'T launch the games. It will freeze on the black cryptic screen for both games. Task manager shows the games aren't responding, yet they launch just fine through their regular launchers. Restarting the computer and making sure Arc is up to date didn't do anything for me either.

Unrelated, also like how they (PWE) removed my old avatar, post scores and say I joined July 2013, even though I've been on this game since first week of launch. lol
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Okay...

I don't run Steam and I don't use Raptr. They are installed only because of the special STO rewards. They are completely optional to my gaming experience and I don't have to incur any overhead (cpu, ram, etc) if I don't want to. Given the age of my laptop, this is an important point. I try to shut down anything I don't need running while I'm playing.

Let's define what we mean when we're concerned about it being "invasive". If this is basically just a unified launcher for PWE games, well, that's not unique to PWE. The real concern is what is this "launcher" doing exactly while we're playing the game?

What overhead will Arc impose, if any?

Does it have a separate communication channel from the game itself? Or, in other words, will there be yet another port open to yet another server or will it use the same server connections that the game currently uses? (I imagine the answer is yes, separate.)

If you're not using the overlay, what exactly does this do in the background? Is it collecting information? Such as? If you use the web browser overlay in game, does it collect that information too?

Will Arc be "user-friendly" to run STO under WINE or virtualization? Or is it Windows-only and going to be a torture for Mac and Linux Wine users?

I gotta tell you... I'm already feeling a sense of rebellion about running the latest version of Windows and STO is one of those things that I grudgingly admit I might want Windows for. I'm also considering giving up STO altogether and cutting the Windows ties to my personal PC more-or-less permanently.

You might want to think twice about anything that limits users' options.
    hippiejon wrote: »
    I absolutely hate everything about ARC from the concept of the thing to the what would appear to be the little baby steps marketing wise and PR wise to try and convince us to accept it. It is inevitable that eventually they will be forcing this TRIBBLE on us. Inevitable.
    The first step to forcing it on all users, which is exactly what is happening.

Good Luck with that. People aren't going to like it, but we're gonna get forced to use it anyway if we want to play our favorite game. People are not going to "want" to use it, because there is no way that a LAUNCHER is going to improve my game experience playing STO.

The LAUNCHER I have now works just fine thanks. i don't need one that serves as an Advertising board or a bunch of games i don't want to play. On the whole, non Cryptic Perfect World games don't appeal to me in the slightest.

Make no mistake, we will eventually be forced into using this TRIBBLE.
    I am sure that the PR will try to make it look like all sunshine and rainbows, but it's TRIBBLE.
    It's a cheap marketing gimmick to force someone to look at other PWE games while logging into their preferred game. It's like billboards on the side of the road.
    It's unwlecome.
    But get used to it.

Resistance is futile.

There's not really much more to say on the matter.

Do you want ARC?

Yes - [ ]

No - [x]
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If ARC does use PMB and it's a requirement rather then optional then yes, I'll be waving STO goodbye as well. I do NOT condone crapware like Pando Media Booster!
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's not uncommon for a company to have their employees go to various forums on the internet where there are complaints about their product and talk about how great it is. That's what you sound like.

Man, look at his sig. Then you will know why he's posting that.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Um pando media booster has been in the install for STO for years now. Nothing new ;)

As for ARC itself, I've tried it and it's okay. Will I use it constantly? Probably not unless it becomes a requirement then I suppose I'd have no choice hehe.

And not true... I use the old Discs I've got from STO, kept a close eye on anything PMB related and nothing's being installed that relates to PMB.

As for ARC; optional is fine, requirement isn't. End of story.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Yeah I realize that now. He also posted the same exact message word for word in another thread. No wonder people hate that fleet.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Heh, I LOVE IT !!!

Where are all the PWE fanboyz now ?
    Lemme channel them for a sec: "Just suck it up and install it, jeez. It's not a big deal and won't impact your game at all, and PWE wouldn't let anything break one of their most popular games, and if you don't wan't to install it just leave, we won't miss you."

LOL, watching PWE step on their own crank is more fun than playing their broken game.
    :D:D:D
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2013

A word for word copy of the post you're both referring to was posted in the ARC thread in the General Discussion forum by the same poster, this ARC nonsense is definitely generating strong feelings, mostly in the negative. Hope PWE takes that into account and leaves ARC as a purely voluntary thing
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    And not true... I use the old Discs I've got from STO, kept a close eye on anything PMB related and nothing's being installed that relates to PMB.
    Actually it's quite true. Your discs mean nothing because the moment you click the launcher and STO starts downloading all the updates that weren't on the disks you're also getting Pando. And a simple Google search will bring up posts about Pando and STO from October of 2011 - and would probably go further back then that date if I wanted to look past the first page of Google choices.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Actually it's quite true. Your discs mean nothing because the moment you click the launcher and STO starts downloading all the updates that weren't on the disks you're also getting Pando. And a simple Google search will bring up posts about Pando and STO from October of 2011 - and would probably go further back then that date if I wanted to look past the first page of Google choices.

No PMB on my computer bud, think you're misinformed about that one. PMB is actually flagged as mallware so I'd get a virus warning the second it's trying to install.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

Hmmm, dunno about that, Pando isn't on my 'remove programs' list, and it would be hard for them to install it since I'm running the game in a non-admin account. It was installed in an admin account, but first and later runs of the game were all done in a user account.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow 21 pages of negative feedback.
    Look PWE nobody wants ARC either keep it optional because if it goes mandatory you will lose a lot of customer. I have already stopped paying you money for Zen and used to do it every month but since LOR I have decided that I will no longer line your pockets. If Arc becomes mandatory I'm gone. If I get a new computer I will copy my game file over if my computer crashes then I guess I'll wave goodbye to this game I only play STO due to it's link to Star Trek. I would advise you get rid of ARC because everyone is in agreement WE DO NOT WANT IT
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Seriously... The last thing we need is another launcher that will be installing underneath what is considered by most to be Malware. Forget this Arc crud.
  • Options
    tehburnsteptehburnstep Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just going to throw my .02 in here for all it will matter.

I will not use ARC Cryptic. Do NOT try and force me to do so.
  • Options
    taya4svktaya4svk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lol, I thought after all this negatives I will go and see what is it all about. As STO is my first MMO, havent had any experience with stuff like Arc.

But I see now why the riot is getting started. Another launcher on top of Star Trek Online launcher? What is the point in that? So I dont have to open browser to see news and forum. But wait, I have it open most of the time anyway, due to DOFFing. So no, I dont need Arc and I dont want it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    szioulszioul Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here's another NO to ARC.
  • Options
    graemorhomegraemorhome Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I play one PWE game - -Star Trek Online. I don't need ARC, I don't want ARC. I sincerely hope this doesn't become a mandatory background-running, memory-hogging application.
  • Options
    moradummoradum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Instead of making bloatware, you guys should be focusing on developing end game contents.

New Romulans brought NOTHING to end game content. All you did was let us create a new character to sell new ships to.

At 50, you're still running the same old content that has been around since pre PWE days.
This discussion has been closed.