test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Party Amplifier GPL Consumable

Comments

• urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wonder who these people pee'd off for them to have to worry about people chasing them down and bothering them with balls.. disco balls that is.

I have to say.. they just don't bother me that much.

But hey.. to each his/her own.

I do HATE those balloon guns lol. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    It's not a whine, it's a concern voiced by the OP and shared by others because some players use the ability to deliberately harass a group or single player. I'm not against Disco balls, but I don't advocate their abuse either. Voicing concerns is an important function of the forums in case you haven't noticed.

They are not being abused, they would be abused if they effected your game play in some sort of way or if they are being used in a place they are not supposed to be.... they currently have no location restrictions so.........

I am not a fan of them but they don't bother me, they only people I can see being annoyed are the ones buying nerve tonic for the dance, the devs can fix that by adding it to the emotes (could earn it from a small mission to do with being captured by the Orion's and sold in to slavery).

With all the Tribble/extinguisher/balloon guns and Cryo devices... this disco ball is nothing. The only thing that ever effected my game play was the balloon gun, I run all settings on full without any problems but if that gun if fired in 1 particular place (I will not share) it kills my FPS.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    grimrak1 wrote: »
    You may be a party pooper, but you're definitely a liar, considering they're coded so they don't make you dance while you're using those. Have you got a real complaint?

Actually in Ds9 it did exactly that when my character was trying to use the exchange/bank
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Best solution is to move ALL social area resources to ship's bridges.

That way only the "fun" people will be experiencing these "fun" items.

Many people are here for the Star Trek.

That some people are here just for the griefing... er I mean MMO is just sad.
  • captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This game would be awesome without sociopaths.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I really wouldn't be so sure that nothing will be done.

LOTRO had the same problem - festival emotes that took over other people's characters cosmetically. After numerous cycles of complaint, the devs finally gave up and implemented an opt-out.

It did take a couple of years though...
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    1> False, which is one of the main uses of this item by a certain fleet. If you have just spent 10k (or whatever they sell for nowadays on the exchange) on a Nerve Tonic and pop the cork and down it, now you're doing the belly dance which SFD and its ilk so despise. Then along comes one of those moral thought police who believe it is their job to insulate adults from seeing an ancient artform, and he/she pops one of these dancing griefer balls. Guess what? Your 10k (or whatever) is down the toilet. Because you stop doing your dance, and start doing their dance. I had been loathe to point this out in the public fora, but by now I doubt anyone in the troll fleets is unaware of this "feature." Yeah, you can get various foundry missions to do the dance, too, but they are tied to specific locations, which may or may not be ideal, for whatever reasons.

2> And noise and flashing light.

And to refer to someone who doesn't want others controlling his/her toon as "imposing ... [their] whiny attitude on someone else that might be looking to inject a little fun ..." is really, like, totally ironic -- or, y'know, just simply obtuse.

Ok, reply to your reply:
    1> Ok, was unaware of that one, never have used a "nerve tonic" myself. But ok, maybe you need to throw a bug report at Cryptic, they may be able to add the "nerve tonic dance" as a higher priority interaction, than the disco ball's. So that would preserve the intended use of the disco balls not impairing anyone's interaction.

2> You don't want flashing lights? Why do you play this game then. And ground and space battle is going to have those as well. Are you going to ***** about those next? And my saying is hardly ironic. Life is full of seeing things we don't necessarily like, when around groups of other people. Don't want to see it? Too bad. As long as it's not going to far, ie, having to hear people having sex, or talking about it (as in ERP), or similar, it's still along the line's of, "Stop playing football around here, I'm trying to read!!!" whinyness. SO again, no sympathy for those. I have to constantly put up with bullcrap convo's in Zone chat. Guess what? No one's going to stop just because I don't like them. So suck it up, and if you hate them THAT much, find ye a seccluded area with the various terminals you need, and conduct your business there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
    edited July 2013
    notapwefan wrote: »
    I have stockpiled a few thousand of dancing balls, and I am going to launch them wherever I want and whenever I want. :P

Love to launch it in risa when someone is resting on those beach benches or on RP players. Yesterday, I launched one in the middle of wedding ceremony in Bajor, and suffice to say the chat was full of adjectives

Actually, you're the reason ppl are ********. Sheesh, a little RP (non-offensive I might add) fun, and you feel compelled to ruin it for them? I hope you and your ilk get account banned for THAT bs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok, reply to your reply:
    1> Ok, was unaware of that one, never have used a "nerve tonic" myself. But ok, maybe you need to throw a bug report at Cryptic, they may be able to add the "nerve tonic dance" as a higher priority interaction, than the disco ball's. So that would preserve the intended use of the disco balls not impairing anyone's interaction.

2> You don't want flashing lights? Why do you play this game then. And ground and space battle is going to have those as well. Are you going to ***** about those next? And my saying is hardly ironic. Life is full of seeing things we don't necessarily like, when around groups of other people. Don't want to see it? Too bad. As long as it's not going to far, ie, having to hear people having sex, or talking about it (as in ERP), or similar, it's still along the line's of, "Stop playing football around here, I'm trying to read!!!" whinyness. SO again, no sympathy for those. I have to constantly put up with bullcrap convo's in Zone chat. Guess what? No one's going to stop just because I don't like them. So suck it up, and if you hate them THAT much, find ye a seccluded area with the various terminals you need, and conduct your business there.

1> We've requested that it be made an emote, an earned emote, even a C-Store emote, but so far, there remain only two ways to do it: obtain a Nerve Tonic (you buy it, someone gives it to you, you go make one in the mission, whatever) and use that item, or find a foundry mission with the dance and go to the specific location(s) where the foundry mission has set up an interactive node.

2> I was just being thorough in enumerating the effects of the item. :P

Hey, Mod person. Grrr. Our thread had a much cooler title. ;)
  • marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Best solution is to move ALL social area resources to ship's bridges.

That way only the "fun" people will be experiencing these "fun" items.

Many people are here for the Star Trek.

That some people are here just for the griefing... er I mean MMO is just sad.

Well, I, for one, am glad that you don't get to decide when and where people are allowed to have fun. Because, y'know, if you're not ingame to have fun, why the hell are you playing? Sure, your idea of fun may differ from someone else's, but that doesn't mean only YOUR fun should be allowed everywhere. Seriously. It's a disco ball that makes your character dance within a certain range, and as far as I know, pretty hard to spam. It doesn't mess with anything you're doing, unless you're using emotes. Even the tonic-dances being disturbed is rather shrug-worthy, since they're either rather cheap on the exchange, or you can be not-so-lazy and pick up as many as your boffs can carry in the space of twenty minutes or so.

It's kind of amusing though, that so many people get upset over these things. Party Poppers, that can be understood since people may not want to have to change their Debris settings just because someone wants to spam balloons, but the Amplifier simply adds a bit of music, light, and animates the characters nearby. It's about as strenuous on your computer as dancing in Club 47.
    edited July 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    The only option I would like to see added to the party amp is the option to select which disco track it plays.

Personally I would have mine set to "Space Bass" by Slick and I would prefer that the party amp remain active for the entire seven-plus-minute performance.

Oh, heck, if it would do that, I'd set mine to any number of 70's and 80's pop & rock songs, hehe!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    protogoth wrote: »
    1> We've requested that it be made an emote, an earned emote, even a C-Store emote, but so far, there remain only two ways to do it: obtain a Nerve Tonic (you buy it, someone gives it to you, you go make one in the mission, whatever) and use that item, or find a foundry mission with the dance and go to the specific location(s) where the foundry mission has set up an interactive node.

2> I was just being thorough in enumerating the effects of the item. :P

Hey, Mod person. Grrr. Our thread had a much cooler title. ;)

Still, the fact that it's overriding an interaction, I'd still advise you to throw in a bug report, as it's fully stated in the item's effects that it WILL NOT override a PC's interactions. Just my advice, maybe something will get done about it, and you can spend that amount on those things, and not have it ruined by someone popping a disco ball. (As I see it, this would classify as a bug)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    The only option I would like to see added to the party amp is the option to select which disco track it plays.

Personally I would have mine set to "Space Bass" by Slick and I would prefer that the party amp remain active for the entire seven-plus-minute performance.

the best suggestion in the entire thread.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think that someone who thinks an online item which makes your toon dance when it's doing nothing else, and does not prevent them from doing anything else seriously needs to review what the word "harassment" actually means..... I would rather they be concerned with actual cases of harassment.
  • spacecadet2011spacecadet2011 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you don't want to participate, I found that it doesn't have effect on those who keep moving. As far as being able to do emotes in the aoe, nothing.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    I think that someone who thinks an online item which makes your toon dance when it's doing nothing else, and does not prevent them from doing anything else seriously needs to review what the word "harassment" actually means..... I would rather they be concerned with actual cases of harassment.

It breaks any emote you were doing. It prevents you from doing any emote other than combadge (which after it finishes, returns you to dancing). That's an issue. That's how it can affect/harass people that are doing something.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It breaks any emote you were doing. It prevents you from doing any emote other than combadge (which after it finishes, returns you to dancing). That's an issue. That's how it can affect/harass people that are doing something.

Game Breaking! Hotfix NAO!!!!!111!!!!
  • maltinpolarmaltinpolar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You managed to create the absolute worst griefing tool in the history of the game:

I'm sure you must be so proud.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,447 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Wow... how many Disco Balls is that?
    At least they can't be used in combat anymore.

Had a bad experience with some in Kitomer ground Elite before the nerf.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I thought only one disco ball can be activated in a given area? :confused:
  • maltinpolarmaltinpolar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Wow... how many Disco Balls is that?

No idea, but I was able to hear several activation FX in short succession, one right after the other.
    hypl wrote: »
    I thought only one disco ball can be activated in a given area? :confused:

Well, apparently not.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dareau wrote: »
    Last time I logged into my KDF, I heard J'mpok blathering "There is much honor in the dance. We must demonstrate it anytime we are not busy and underneath the disco ball".

That, and my Fed characters received an update to SFR 99-X, under "proper decorum for uniformed officers", specifically the "disco ball" section... (for those who might be unfamiliar, SFR = Starfleet Regulations)

That leaves the Rommies, and I think D'Tan muttered something about "Tal'Shiar don't dance and Sela don't rock and roll, so we need to..." However, I then heard that the Tal'Shiar held immediate dance classes to cover their trails...

LOL

also i vote that the Dico Ball plays the Tune - Dance Commander by Electric Six, just for ironies sake, or even Improper Dancing , again for obvious reasons

I AM THE DANCE COMMANDER, AND I COMMAND YOU....... TO DANCE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8frmCmkTE

After 20+ pages of numerous whinging and and Cries of Greifing my brain is about ready to pour out my ears in repsonse to the self interest shown here
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You managed to create the absolute worst griefing tool in the history of the game:

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSSSSSSSSSAND!!!! !:eek:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • contrarydecisioncontrarydecision Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited August 2013

That looks absolutely amazing. I know I'd be proud of creating such a thing.
  • technical42ndtechnical42nd Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Man, you must be trippin. All I'm seeing is an absolutely FABULOUS explosion of light and color.
    MywB2KU.gif
    Official STARFLEET DENTAL Bug Hunter
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited August 2013

No. That's not a grief tool.
    THIS was a grief tool before February 2011, because it actually did close windows and disrupt players.
    I need a beer.

• apedilbertapedilbert Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun, but mama, that's where the fun is.
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    While it is a MMO and there is a social aspect to it, having the option not to be affected by them does not change that.

It's also a combat game. Is it a case that characters are free to run around shooting other characters as they please? No, if somebody wishes to participate in such - they have the options to participate in such as they please.

Some people socialize with RP. Some do not. They have a choice there, eh?

Some people join fleets to socialize. Some socialize without joining a fleet. They have a choice there, eh?

Yes - again it is a MMO and has a social aspect - players should be able to dictate how they socialize. They should not have that dictated to them - forced upon them - by other players. Forcing somebody to do something that they do not wish to do...is not very social.

I can see not wanting to waste development time in making any changes - but that begs the question of why any development time was wasted on them in the first place when so many bugs were brought up during the LoR beta that were not addressed before its launch and have yet to been addressed to this point.

Some people like it. Some people do not. Some people like it at certain times. Some people do not like it at other times. Etc, etc, etc.

https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4027/~/%28sto%29-behavior-and-harassment-policy

The Party Amp provides a means to violate the STO Behavior and Harassment Policy.

Rather than suggesting that it be removed, that it be restricted to certain areas, that it be restricted only to the player or their team, etc, etc, etc...I've simply asked for the option to be able to opt out of being affected by it.

That people are opposed to such a simple suggestion is somewhat mind-boggling.

2nd this with a HUGE thumbs UP!
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So sad people are here for the MMORPG and not Star Trek.

All those saying, "Go play a single player game," please hurry up and create one for Star Trek so STO can become an empty wasteland of only MMORPGrs.

As for a developer intentionally creating these and posting about griefing others with them, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" if you know what I mean. Perhaps a lively discussion should be had about this. ;)

Those that still don't get it: Imagine you are in a room with a bunch of people in the RW and you continuously griefed the room, wouldn't someone who is "no fun" come over and pop you one for it? Until these games can have that level of realism, maybe with some Black Ice from Shadowrun, then some control should be provided.

The best idea would be the option to disable these griefer items.

Oh, and please fire the griefer dev.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    The best idea would be the option to disable these griefer items.

Oh, and please fire the griefer dev.

So 90% of the people and 1 employee are punished because 10% of the people do not like the it and cannot retaliate against an even smaller number of griefers? And what about people like the OP in this thread who does like the party amp just not all the time. That idea of just disabling is the wrong one to have and childish. Childish like "I don't like your toy so im going to throw it away and you can't have it anymore.".

Plus retaliate? Maybe in elementary school but as adults thats not the best option or should be an option, simply not participating in the event and informing those who ask why the reason why is the best option. Especialy considering that retaliation is called assault and can lead to you being arrested and guarantees you will not be invited back. Nothing like going to jail and possibly losing you work over an assault charge or in the least dealing with court over it.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.