test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Party Amplifier GPL Consumable

virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
PLEASE NOTE: While I was the OP of a thread, I am not the OP of this threadnaught. I've lost track of how many threads have been merged to create this monstrosity. Please have mercy.

I had posted it in the other thread, but it got lost in all the...ahem, yeah - I'm surprised that thread is still there.

But anyway, it was a simple request for The Party Amp and any such future devices in the game: A player should be able to go into Options and select not to be affected by it.

This does not nerf the device, does not prevent it from affecting those that want to be affected by it, etc, etc, etc - it simply allows those that do not want to be affected by it not to be.

edit: Oh joy...so my simple thread got merged with other threads and then placed in Troll Central. I created my particular thread to avoid the...ahem...issues inherent with some of the other threads on the matter for a reason. My request was a simple one:
Don't let it override any emote that I had in place before it was dropped. Don't let it prevent me from being able to do another emote while within the area of effect of it.

Now here I am...as the "OP" of a thread of madness, folks replying to the "OP when their posts are obviously replying to OPs of other threads...and /sigh.

So first - why was the thread merged? Second - why on Earth was it moved from Events to Troll Central?

And yes, I realize that's discussing moderation which violates the TOS...but seriously, WTF?

edit: And more discussing moderation...oh joy, yet another thread infested by Goon Trolls has been merged with my simple thread. It's bad enough that the Goonies have plagued countless games, countless forums, and countless players for well over a decade...but c'mon, instead of merging all of their garbage into my thread - how about just deleting my thread...it's obvious Cryptic is not going to do anything about the Goonies trolling in the game or on the forums - why add insult to injury by continuing to merge their TRIBBLE over and over?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    An excellent suggestion of a great idea. They're fun but if someone doesn't want to participate, I can understand. I do not approve of people playing a game so seriously but I can understand. Went post haste with my Klink TAC to Risa after that thread. Had enough GPL to purchase 10 Party Amps. Went back to First City and popped one in the Great Hall. J'mpok looked almost like James Brown Live at the Apollo. (Ooops. Just dated myself, didn't I?) Gonna save the rest for use during the next Q's Winter Wonderland.

"I wanna put on...Mah mah mah boogie shoes. And dance with you."
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I had posted it in the other thread, but it got lost in all the...ahem, yeah - I'm surprised that thread is still there.

But anyway, it was a simple request for The Party Amp and any such future devices in the game: A player should be able to go into Options and select not to be affected by it.

This does not nerf the device, does not prevent it from affecting those that want to be affected by it, etc, etc, etc - it simply allows those that do not want to be affected by it not to be.

Good idea, can we get party pooper turn off option too please?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I am against this option.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    An excellent suggestion of a great idea. They're fun but if someone doesn't want to participate, I can understand. I do not approve of people playing a game so seriously but I can understand. Went post haste with my Klink TAC to Risa after that thread. Had enough GPL to purchase 10 Party Amps. Went back to First City and popped one in the Great Hall. J'mpok looked almost like James Brown Live at the Apollo. (Ooops. Just dated myself, didn't I?) Gonna save the rest for use during the next Q's Winter Wonderland.

"I wanna put on...Mah mah mah boogie shoes. And dance with you."

Only 10?

Come on, you need to buy at least a stack of them for winter wonderland - I plan to make Q boogie like it 2999 :p
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No, you're playing a social multiplayer game. Go play a single-player game if you want to be left alone. I'd really rather the developers use their time to add good features, rather than waste it making the world safe for the easily offended.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No, you're playing a social multiplayer game. Go play a single-player game if you want to be left alone. I'd really rather the developers use their time to add good features, rather than waste it making the world safe for the easily offended.
    this, I really don't see why people care... I was here for the incessant whining about "balloon pits", big deal.... It's at worst a minor annoyance. and kinda fun.... hehehe....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only option I would like to see added to the party amp is the option to select which disco track it plays.

Personally I would have mine set to "Space Bass" by Slick and I would prefer that the party amp remain active for the entire seven-plus-minute performance.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Good idea, can we get party pooper turn off option too please?

And how would one "turn off" party poppers, other than making them do absolutely nothing?

Seriously, the real solution is for those who can't handle not having 100% iron-fisted control of a multiplayer environment to stick to single-player environments where they can get the only thing that will satisfy them: absolute, dictatorial control of every single little thing.
    edited July 2013
    Be fun to pick out what song played. And the cheesier the song from the Disco Era, the better. I'd love to see the folks at ESD gettin' down an' funky to YMCA by the Village People. or Copacabana by Barry Manilow. Hey Devs! We need a Don Cornelius type NPC! Right now!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While it is a MMO and there is a social aspect to it, having the option not to be affected by them does not change that.

It's also a combat game. Is it a case that characters are free to run around shooting other characters as they please? No, if somebody wishes to participate in such - they have the options to participate in such as they please.

Some people socialize with RP. Some do not. They have a choice there, eh?

Some people join fleets to socialize. Some socialize without joining a fleet. They have a choice there, eh?

Yes - again it is a MMO and has a social aspect - players should be able to dictate how they socialize. They should not have that dictated to them - forced upon them - by other players. Forcing somebody to do something that they do not wish to do...is not very social.

I can see not wanting to waste development time in making any changes - but that begs the question of why any development time was wasted on them in the first place when so many bugs were brought up during the LoR beta that were not addressed before its launch and have yet to been addressed to this point.

Some people like it. Some people do not. Some people like it at certain times. Some people do not like it at other times. Etc, etc, etc.

https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4027/~/%28sto%29-behavior-and-harassment-policy

The Party Amp provides a means to violate the STO Behavior and Harassment Policy.

Rather than suggesting that it be removed, that it be restricted to certain areas, that it be restricted only to the player or their team, etc, etc, etc...I've simply asked for the option to be able to opt out of being affected by it.

That people are opposed to such a simple suggestion is somewhat mind-boggling.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Be fun to pick out what song played. And the cheesier the song from the Disco Era, the better. I'd love to see the folks at ESD gettin' down an' funky to YMCA by the Village People. or Copacabana by Barry Manilow. Hey Devs! We need a Don Cornelius type NPC! Right now!

This is starting to sound like too much for a little party ball. Instead I think this is moving into the territory of a Subspace Portable Jukebox.

Same basic effect as the party ball but with some enhancements. Choose your disco track, lighting display, and get dancing. Maybe an option for temp costumes (like how Q turns you into random stuff for the winter event) to turn everyone in jukebox reach into those Village People. I mean if we're going to go for it, we gotta go big.

Can you dig it?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • vlock07vlock07 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I agree with the above. I am becoming rather disgusted by these people who take the game and their characters so incredibly seriously. This insistence that your character should not be "forced to participate" in anything smacks of an entitlement complex. The disco ball is not hurting you!

Don't cater to these types, Cryptic, because they'll just move on to some other silly little thing that vaguely annoys them, act like it is a moral imperative for you to change it, and you'll waste a lot of time "fixing" nothing after nothing. Fix some real bugs, please, and ignore the anti-fun movement.
    edited July 2013
    edit: I'm not editing this because I felt that what I said in reply to a particular post was uncalled for, but rather I'm editing it because it's somewhat distracting to the discussion. Still, when you're going to jump into a thread and flame somebody without knowing them...you can come off looking a little silly. Just something to keep in mind for folks that do that sort of thing...
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    [FlameproofShield]I know that some of you are going to call me a morally offended person who's too absorbed in the game, but I don't care. I have thick skin. See, I'm not morally offended by it. I don't make creepy 20-minute videos (that's a little bit of my life I'll never get back) about it. I'm not against socializing. Sometimes I just want to play the game, chat with my friends, and relax. The only real problem I have with it are the people that do fly-by disco balls - they just plop one down on the chair I'm sitting in and run off. Why? I don't get it really. So, yes I know I'm going to get beat more than the dead horse of "Can I have a T5 Constitution?", but a little checkbox for participating in disco dances would be nice. No, sorry to burst your bubble, but it wouldn't be the horrifying thing you imagine it to be.[/FlameproofShield]

Oh, and I'm all for a portable jukebox + dances. I would certainly start dancing to YMCA if someone played it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and sometimes I can't just change zones most of the time, when I already have 5+ friends hanging out in a zone.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's a damn party ball. Grow up.

Seriously, just say nothing and move to another instance. Or leave and come back in 15 minutes. Most people who use these thing are harmless fun-seekers, so inctance-changing will immediately solve your problem. Furthermore, the steps above will help you sidestep intentional trolls (I'm serious, say nothing - reactions only encourage trolls, so give them none).

That said, I appreciate your actual suggestion isn't as dumb as the last (amazing) thread on the subject, so kudos for not being a complete child about it and actually having a reasonable suggestion (even if you entire premise is silly).
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    More bother then its worth.. also using specific songs brings in music licencing.. Cryptic is not going to do that.. Too expensive. Also subject to abuse which just like party poppers the subspace party amplifier is all ready subject to.

While Cryptic keeps puting items this into thier MMO, aparently there is no effort made to prevent thier being used to disrupt the play of customers that don't want to be effected by it.

Cute idea, and in places even desirable... and mostly harmless, but harmlessness is a matter of opinion, and people need thier opinion respected. Forceing someone avatar to dance, when the player either simply doesn't want to, or it interfearing with some other chosen activity and putting the game studio's stamp of approval on it is ...ummm how to say this... not to bright. Putting an item in game that can be uses to harass other players in a game social situation is a great way to chase off customers..

Thumbs down on adding any additional function to this device and strong interest in allowing players to "opt out" from its effects.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
    edited July 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    Oh, and I'm all for a portable jukebox + dances. I would certainly start dancing to YMCA if someone played it.

A little hoverboombox that somebody could drop while running a ground mission with friends...letting the Borg know that you're coming and everybody's going to dance on their graves after slaughtering them.

Cryptic could monetize it by offering zen/dil upgrades to include more tracks - more lights - fog machine - even have it summon in more NPC dancers - etc, etc, etc.

There's a lot that could be done along those lines...

...but again, folks should have a choice.
    edited July 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Most people who use these thing are harmless fun-seekers

Were that the case, then I would have likely never even noticed they were in the game outside of reading about them. It's only from folks spamming them on top of NPC mission givers, vendors, and zone in points...etc, etc, etc.
    edited July 2013
    No, you're playing a social multiplayer game.

I wanted to come back and address this to point out the fallacy that exists in many cases with this.

Social. Interaction, right?

zone: Hey, we're going to have a dance party at (someplace) in a few minutes. Everybody's invited - see you there!

Folks show up, they talk, they dance, they have fun. They're social.

vs.

Random player drops a Party Amp on top of folks and then walks, runs, flies off.

See the difference?
    edited July 2013
    There really should be some easy way to allow people to opt out of this. I do not see a problem with asking for it. Nor do I see a need to tell people who would like such an option to 'grow up'.

Attention! People who want to disagree with me! Get it correct. Simple declarative sentences follow. Please. Read. S l o w l y. Before you go off half cocked and get to misquoting Roddenberry(Honored be the Great Prophet. In His Name we grind willingly!). Again. Didn't work so well last time, did it?

1) I like the Disco Ball. It's fun.

2) Some people do not like the Disco Ball. This is their view. They have as much right to their view as I do to mine.

3) Allowing those who do not like the Disco Ball to turn off its effect on their character is reasonable.

4) If they don't wanna dance and you make them do so, fine. Just allow them the option in return of turning off your shields and engines for a random two minutes anywhere they choose. Oh waitaminnit! Now we're speaking about your toon. So of course it's all different. Now it matters. Now, since it is your toon, which is somewhat out of your control with no way for you regain total control for the next 120 seconds, it is important.

5) Dropping one and running is really stupid. As in your lobotomy scars are showing.
    If you're gonna waste 100 GPL that way, give it to me instead.

6) The Devs put the thing in the game for fun. I'm sure they did not want it to be a Weapon of Mass Distraction. Exercise a little good judgement and taste before cranking one up.

7) As the proud owner of about fifty of these things, I hereby publicly declare I will in the future use them a little more cautiously. Virus, or anyone else who doesn't like them, if I have caused you problems I deeply and humbly apologize for that act. I'd like to recompense you for it if I can. Failing that, I'll check a little more carefully in the future. Before I take unwilling hostages to Funky Town to visit MacArthur Park.
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have a request,

That you can automatically use them for as long as you have them in your inventory.

That would be pure heaven :D
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A little hoverboombox that somebody could drop while running a ground mission with friends...letting the Borg know that you're coming and everybody's going to dance on their graves after slaughtering them...

Something like this, perhaps?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited July 2013
    Virus, or anyone else who doesn't like them, if I have caused you problems I deeply and humbly apologize for that act.

Can't speak for anybody else, but none of my issues have been with folks that have gotten together - folks that were trying to get something started - etc, etc, etc... I run 9 toons through Risa each day - it's the folks that are disco bombing various NPCs and the like.

And it's not so much a case of not liking them...as it is usually a case of it picking the most ludicrous dance possible. It's like when some of us were working on getting the fan dance from Nimubs, the gf walked by and saw my screen - she just looked at me and shook her head. Course, I had to show her all the dances...even though I wanted to /facepalm at some of then, it was still a trip for the look on her face, lol.

There are just times and places, well - yeah, I'm a little more focused on trying to get something done or talking to somebody...then bam, I look like I've got ants in my pants - am five years old and have to go the bathroom - etc, etc, etc... it's just annoying.

Like I tried to clarify earlier (probably poorly, mind you) - there's a world of difference between the folks trying to be social and those just looking to grief/harass with a new toy.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I hear people say that the disco bomb is "harmful" to them.
    What I would like to know is how is it harmful to them?
    I would like to know this because one cannot begin to fathom why it is harmful when they do not know how it is harmful.

As far as I know, the disco bomb does not close open windows, it does not cause your character to move off of their spot, it does not cause them to develop a heart condition and die and it most certainly does not cause the second coming of Hitler. You might be forgiven for thinking that they did cause all of these things if you judged things solely by the level of hatred some individuals seem to display toward this object and those who use them.

But no really, what harm does it do to you and how destructive is it relative to...say, a broken leg?

EDIT

On re-reading some of the previous posts, I wondered how people can be distracted by dancing toons and flashy lights when 3/4 (or more in some cases) is taken up by that massive viewscreen that many decried as being out of place and not really fitting in many circumstances.
    Unless all the anti-discoballers have enormoscreens of 40"+?
    I need a beer.

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I didn't say it harms me in any way. The disco ball is fun. I'm just politely stating that I prefer not to be affected by it when I don't want to dance with a random stranger. It's like you're allergic to the idea or something. :cool:
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Fun? too mainstream.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Some people just want to be left alone. I control my character, you control yours, don't mess with each other. Why is that so hard a concept for some to deal with?
  • abrahamjohnson83abrahamjohnson83 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "I want a option that make me invisible for all. and also talking to me is optional. Better a option that my game char never appears ingame.", sry bad joke, but I think you should go play single player games ;)
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Nothing has had more noise made about it this week besides this silly party amplifier thing.
    It's silly, worrying about this at all.

It doesn't interrupt any game play or close any window interactions.
    At worst, it makes you dance if you are being idle.

It just shocks me that this is the thing we're worrying about now.

Aren't there other areas ...
    bug fixes desperately needed,
    tailor basically broken for a huge portion of the player base with a costume slot sale going on,
    entire portions of the player base(PvP, Foundry anyone??) in dire need of just a little Dev attention.
    ...we should be directing the amount of energy a stupid party ball has drawn?

Sorry that's just the way I see it.
    Worst thing this does is make you dance if you are idle.
    ANY action breaks it.

We have more important things to be talking about.
    edited July 2013
    I think you should go play single player games ;)

Nothing suggests in the least that folks want to play a single player game. That's been brought up a few times, and it has not made any more sense being said this time than the first time.

The rampant hyperbole offered by such comments is quizzical in nature at best.

I mean, honestly - consider the simple option to ignore a player. When somebody ignores somebody that they do not want to read anything from, does that mean they want to ignore every other player in the game and they should go play a single player game instead?

Consider all the privacy settings that exist in the game, eh?

Search visibility: Visible to all/Visible to friends only/Anonymous
    Allow only friends and fleet to chat: On/Off
    Allow only friends and fleet to email: On/Off
    Allow only friends and fleet to make team invites: On/Off
    Allow only friends and fleet to tell: On/Off
    Allow only friends and fleet to trade: On/Off
    Allow only friends and fleet to issue challenges: On/Off
    Allow fleet invitations: On/Off
    Allow others to view your character on Gateway: On/Off

Should anybody that makes any changes to those, go off and play a single player or a co-op game?

Suggesting that somebody that would like to decide when/if they are affected by the Party Amp (and any such future devices)...should play a single player game?

Outside of having fun by causing people to dance that do not want to dance (the only thing that would be changed), how does it affect you in the least?

Sure, the folks saying that dev time should be spent on fixing bugs first have a point - but again, this was a simple request. It's not a burning request, not a dire request, not a pleading request - it's not an OMG fix this now or I'm quitting thing in the least.

The way some folks are reacting...I think they're telling the wrong folks to chill out...

...just saying.
This discussion has been closed.