test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Legacy of Romulus Pre-Patching Enabled (Now disabled!)

Comments

• Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Stalling patch downloads would not be as much of an issue if it could remember where it left off, and not have to start over from zero every damn time. :mad:

C'mon Devs, incremental downloads are not a new thing, the technology has been around for years now.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    omegaher0omegaher0 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bah. Tried it again (9000+ MB patch), dropped when my internet dropped. had to start over. I give up.
    "Suffer the little ones, lest they rise up and beat you senseless." Druid's Call, from Magic: The Gathering
  • Options
    mikepreditormikepreditor Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm left with uninstalling and reinstalling this ridiculous game client.

Prepatching is happening every time I try and start or quit the game.
    Fully up to date Holodeck, Tribble and before it closed, Redshirt.

Mix this with the server downtime over the last month and I'm getting annoyed.
    Luckily I don't have any restrictions on my downloads, but FFS would it

KILL YOU TO USE P2P FOR THIS TRIBBLE?

The server is spaffing its unnecessary data stupidly slowly.
    Maybe if it wasn't spitting it out to players who didn't need it we could all get better speeds?

I just wanted to moan. I hate having my time wasted by downloading gigs of install slowly from a TRIBBLE server when I have a 20mbit pipe I could be having filled selflessly by my fellow players.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm left with uninstalling and reinstalling this ridiculous game client.

Prepatching is happening every time I try and start or quit the game.
    Fully up to date Holodeck, Tribble and before it closed, Redshirt.

You do realise that it's supposed to prepatch whenever you exit the client? I'm sorry but this just seems petty. Yes it's annoying that the servers are slow, but deal with it.

Last time I tried to download a game from steam it downloaded at a painful 500kb/s for over 4 hours when I have a connection capable of doing 50x that. That's just life, deal with it.

It was like this before F2P, and so it shall remain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How exactly does it waste your time?
  • Options
    bsethbseth Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh ffs, it resumes. Check the filesizes in the frikkin directory >_>

I've downloaded 4.7GB over the last 14 hours, over 7 sessions when I've done AFK stuff.

You are all allowed to do an extremely minor effort to check your assumptions before resorting to spam.

I do agree that the launcher should reflect the fact that it resumes, but it's Cryptic and with Cryptic it's always a Really Bloody Great idea to quadruple-check everything and not assume a single iota of information as fact.

Unless it really does start at 0% over and over and I've been downloading the same 700MB into different files today...
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It does not resume for everyone. Which isn't to say it doesn't for you. But it certainly doesn't for me.

I wish it did.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey, I noticed when using the newer STO launcher that almost every time I login, the game is patching. The only options I have checked for the launcher are "Fast Launch" and "Show Tray Icon." Now, I can still login, but the patch at practically every login has never occured before.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am getting that as well for not only every play session every day, but also every time I exit. The only thing I can think of, is that they are pre-patching LoR. I'm not used to this way though. The last time I ever played a Cryptic game that had a pre-download and patch before a new release, there was always a massive chunk to download *once,* and you only got that download upon your first game exit. After it had downloaded that was it.

I don't like the fact that, despite our connection/bandwidth the downloads are less than dial-up speed. It's like...why do I have to patch for 20 - 30 minutes every morning? >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    have the same but it only takes like 2-3 minutes on startup
  • Options
    dashrendar1138dashrendar1138 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been getting the same thing the past couple days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join the Vulcan Kolinahr Fleet
    http://www.vulcankolinahrfleet.com/
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bseth wrote: »
    Oh ffs, it resumes. Check the filesizes in the frikkin directory >_>

You are all allowed to do an extremely minor effort to check your assumptions before resorting to spam.
    Hey smart guy, you don't know wtf you're talking about, so best for you to be quiet instead of lecturing the rest of us. If it works flawlessly for you, congratulations. That does not mean it works for everyone.

Since the latest launcher update, EVERY time the game is launched, it "patches" a small amount (~3KB) before letting you in. Then when you exit, EVERY time it wants to download the same ******n 5882MB.

Don't presume everyone is too dumb to know how to check the fsck'ing folder:

Attempt 1 taken at 14:50 PDT

Attempt 2 taken at 15:26 PDT

Do you see any file size changes there, buddy? Do you see any updated timestamps?
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    spektre12spektre12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope that pre-ordering this pack doesn't mean to have th vehicle unlocked but you STILL have to buy it. If that is true then I want my money back!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stevegallstevegall Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is there anyway we can turn off pre patching, ive got tribble downloaded already and i patch it almost every day and still it patches every time i load the game up and turn it off
  • Options
    dashrendar1138dashrendar1138 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Since the latest launcher update, EVERY time the game is launched, it "patches" a small amount (~3KB) before letting you in. Then when you exit, EVERY time it wants to download the same ******n 5882MB.

Exactly what I've been seeing. Only my 'patch' amount is 3615KB. The download at every logout is 5885 MB for me.

This happens every.single.time. Hope they fix it quick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join the Vulcan Kolinahr Fleet
    http://www.vulcankolinahrfleet.com/
  • Options
    irishcaptain007irishcaptain007 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exactly what I've been seeing. Only my 'patch' amount is 3615KB. The download at every logout is 5885 MB for me.

This happens every.single.time. Hope they fix it quick.

Happening to me as well... wishing I hadn't clicked on the new launcher download that was provided earlier in the thread. Just plain annoying.
  • Options
    theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stevegall wrote: »
    is there anyway we can turn off pre patching, ive got tribble downloaded already and i patch it almost every day and still it patches every time i load the game up and turn it off

When your launcher pops, click options on the upper right of the window, then check disable on-demand patching; doing this seems to have stopped that glitchy behaviour most have experienced. Now instead of cutting out after downloading a few megs, it's downloading normally; slow as all sin, but there is actual progress. I can't confirm if this works upon exit of the game as I'm only 22% into my initial download.
  • Options
    delph1sdelph1s Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is PP off now?

Doesnt show up after I exit anymore...
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, it seems to be turned off now... or is it just broken? I wouldn't be surprised...
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    We've disabled the pre-patch as we work on a resolution for the reports of the launcher being slow.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, Yesterday, I was able to complete the 5883Mb (roughly) download, painful enough on this connection, now today I have had the same patch download before I could even play (only 3Mb I think), I logged in for only about 30 minutes. I have just now disconnected and now it is downloading the 5883Mb patch again, where is it putting all this data :D ?

edit, ok just tried it again, no patching! thanks Branflakes :)
  • Options
    dereklucasdereklucas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you are trying to get people not to play before LOR constant updates and caching is the way to do it. At least in my case.

(Yes, I have the newest launcher)
  • Options
    buf0rdtjust1cebuf0rdtjust1ce Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mikearoo wrote: »
    Actually, Yesterday, I was able to complete the 5883Mb (roughly) download, painful enough on this connection, now today I have had the same patch download before I could even play (only 3Mb I think), I logged in for only about 30 minutes. I have just now disconnected and now it is downloading the 5883Mb patch again, where is it putting all this data :D ?

edit, ok just tried it again, no patching! thanks Branflakes :)

If anyone's looking for the prepatch folder to delete the data, in Windows 7 64-bit anyway it's located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\prepatch

I assume on Windows 32-bit it would be the same structure except simply \Program Files\ instead of \Program Files (x86)\

I already had been fooling around with renaming/removing the prepatch folder to try to get the launcher to work right. The launcher never would download the whole patch, but it won't mess your game up if you need the drive space back and want to delete the folder. Of course that data and more will be back on the 21st when LoR goes live...
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    Pre-patching is being reenabled.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If anyone's looking for the prepatch folder to delete the data, in Windows 7 64-bit anyway it's located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\prepatch

I assume on Windows 32-bit it would be the same structure except simply \Program Files\ instead of \Program Files (x86)\

I already had been fooling around with renaming/removing the prepatch folder to try to get the launcher to work right. The launcher never would download the whole patch, but it won't mess your game up if you need the drive space back and want to delete the folder. Of course that data and more will be back on the 21st when LoR goes live...

If this helps I use Vista and it looks like the prepatch folder is under users/public/games cryptic studios/star trek online/live/prepatch
  • Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pre-patching is being reenabled.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Download is crankin!!!!!!
  • Options
    buf0rdtjust1cebuf0rdtjust1ce Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For anyone who had an incomplete pre-patch process before this new announcement that the pre-patch has the green light again after having been halted earlier...

I had about 3.95GB worth of the patch in my Steam subdirectory. I had left my PC running Friday overnight into Saturday morning, when evidently the developers canceled the pre-patch in order to iron out the bugs.

Tonight (late Saturday into Sunday morning) I saw the message in the forum about pre-patching having been re-enabled, so I went into STO and exited the game, and the launcher popped up to start the pre-patch. It only took a few seconds and a couple of Megabytes of download before the launcher spontaneously killed itself. There was no error message, it was as if I had exited it manually or killed it via Task Manager.

I repeated the login/quit game process twice more to make sure that it wasn't a sporadic error, but the same thing happened.

I'm not an expert in anything regarding this game or software in general, but I think I found out how people with similar situations can resume getting the whole pre-patch. There is a subfolder in your Steam client's Star Trek online directory which holds the pre-patch data. It is inventively called "prepatch." The exact directory, for my Windows 7 64-bit install is:

C;\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\prepatch

I renamed the existing prepatch folder with the nearly 4GB of incomplete data to "prepatch.old" just to make sure that I would have the old data just in case. I then created a new "prepatch" folder and within it created the subfolder called "piggs" which is supposed to be nested within prepatch.

Then I again reloaded STO, and once again quit the game. The launcher dutifully popped up, but this time it appears to be loading the prepatch normally, and at a rate about 10x as fast as the speed which I complained about yesterday. In the time it's taken to write this post, the patch is 9.7% complete.

So take this example and advice at your own risk, and always back up your data whenever possible, but I believe that the key to letting this newest, newer, new-ish pre-patching solution is to manually delete the old, incomplete data from your Steam folder.

Please note that Windows 7 32-bit users, Vista users and XP faithful will likely need to hunt for their versions of the Steam subfolder above, but this should give you an idea of where to look for it. If anyone has questions about what I've written please feel free to PM me, I like to help whenever I can.

Of course you can always choose to cancel the launcher when it pops up after your game sessions and opt to try and receive the LoR patch once it goes live in less than a week. But if you think the servers have been wonky over last couple of months, you haven't experienced anything yet. I'm putting my money (i.e. bandwidth allocation) into tonight's announcement of the re-pre-patching. It's now up to 15.2% on my PC, all while I've been typing this post.

Anyway, choose your own best update path and best of luck to all. I'm sure that all of this craziness with die down (eventually...)
  • Options
    delph1sdelph1s Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Either my download is finished (Dont see how, i had calculated it would finish at 2pm GMT for me) or my Pre-patch is dead.

As for whatever reason, it cancelled at what i would guess is 30-40% and when ever I try to do it again, it just disappears after checking the game version.

This is quite annoying, especially if your ISP finds large downloads to be a naughty, naughty act of malicious intent.
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is cool I didn't know that pre-patching was enabled for everyone!

This , hopefully, will make things ALOT faster to get started on may 21st.

:)

Thank You STO!

And Live Long And Prosper!
  • Options
    kev1186kev1186 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does not seem to be working for me, it automatically closed at around 35% last night, and when I try it today its only goes to 3-4% then closes again ??
This discussion has been closed.