test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Network Maintenance (May 12, 2013) (Complete!)

12345679»

Comments

• txn8vtxn8v Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you say 'floppy', please tell me you DO mean the 5,25 inch? Because that would just be awesome! :D

Xerox 860 with a 10 inch (Yes TEN) floppy! My 1st non "mainframe" computer.
    "You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin charge around here." - Jane Cobb
  • ravynknightravynknight Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hydrodura wrote: »
    Get ready for may 21 2013 major crash day .

yeah not looking forward to that.. repeat of 3rd year anniversary event start day LMAO! XD
  • hoovergkmmchoovergkmmc Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    taylor248 wrote: »
    When you say 'floppy', please tell me you DO mean the 5,25 inch? Because that would just be awesome!

Young pup - floppies are 8 inches. :D

The main system storage is provided by banks of reel-to-reel data tape drives....
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captspock2233captspock2233 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is very frustrating, i am one of the fools who paid alot of money to play this game, and the weekend is the time i get to play the most. i know i'm not getting my moneys worth from this game. I know PWE does not care as long as they have my money. And the money of thousands of other lifers. Wha a scam
  • pirebpireb Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sto8445 wrote: »
    The person who is responsible for that would be fired if it was my company.

And that right there my friend is why you're not running a company. And never will be.
  • epsilons232epsilons232 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Did it occur to you that said messages MIGHT require an Admin online to send them.

Did it occur to you that it's Sunday and they might, therefore, not acutally be 'at work'? Or are you so firmly entrenched in the 'I want I want' camp that you don't think that they deserve a day off like almost everyone else?

Fail on multiple fronts:
    - scheduled shutdowns of servers/clusters should be scripted in order to have consisted, repeatable and high quality execution not/hardly depending on typos the admin might make during such procedure. This should include sending warnings to players
    - for known maintenance like this admins will be made available to monitor the operation and intervene if something goes not according to plan. They probably won't be required to be on site (remote working is kind of common nowadays). Very often they get paid overtime for such work.
    - additionally having admin/engineers on duty 24/7 if also very common for applications/sites with such a high exposure and critical value to the company running it

PS. as a dev of internet holiday booking site and sideways involved in the running of it I do know what I'm talking about
  • overkilltbpoverkilltbp Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Servers up, I give 8 hours and their down again though
  • sto8445sto8445 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Glad I don't work for you then. Pretty minor error in the grand scheme of things.

And that's why you have to work for somebody, and i have people working for me. :cool:
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ...Did it occur to you that it's Sunday and they might, therefore, not actually be 'at work'? Or are you so firmly entrenched in the 'I want I want' camp that you don't think that they deserve a day off like almost everyone else?

"Whether or not the customer is correct, they remain the customer." I've never had a job where I worked on the clock. Work was completed when all tasks were successfully accomplished. No, they do not deserve a day off. Not because of 'I want I want'. Because they haven't successfully completed the task. Which is to keep STO functioning a lot more smoothly than it does right now. If I did my job the way things get done around STO sometimes, I would be stealing from my customers. Which is wrong. Even worse, it is unprofessional. Professionalism is doing your job because, hey, it's your job.

Do unforeseen things occur? Yup. If is it man made can it break? Yup. Do employees make honest mistakes? Yup. Has all this occurred with STO? Abso-freakin'-lutely. But at some point someone really should wonder about why the same things are happening again and again. Any organization is a direct reflection of its leadership. If the leadership is flawed or prone to giving incomplete or incorrect direction, then it should be no surprise the organization is similarly flawed.

Because we have a passion about all things Star Trek, we seem to be willing to put up with a lot of things which ordinary people would be very upset over. Far too many people in the gaming industry take this tolerance for granted. Do not mistake passion about Star Trek for something it isn't. I want STO to be the best it can be and to run forever. So when things such as the numerous outages and problems lately occur, I think most people see this as a detraction from what STO could be. The game gets held to a very high standard, true. But, then it probably should be. Simply because it is Star Trek.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok,so this thread, announcing the "scheduled" maintenance was started last night at 8:38 pm, PST. Maintenance started at 6 am PST?

I find calling maintenance "scheduled" 10 hours in advance a bit hard to swallow. Especially when, at 11:38 pm my time, if I'm still playing the game I'm not lurking in the forums trying to see if the game might go down. I get up in the morning, get the family going, and try to hop onto STO 10 hours later and ... WTF?!?

From my perspective, this "scheduled" maintenance was COMPLETELY UNANNOUNCED!
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • hoovergkmmchoovergkmmc Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We apologize again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
  • bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited May 2013
    so the next "Tour the Universe" is not for another 23 HOURS?!

wtf pwe
    edited May 2013
    Rubbish.

If I were to send a letter out, at work, and place the wrong day/date in the heading I'd probably receive a proveribal 'slapped wrist', and I MIGHT be asked to send an apology, but in reality it takes something a little more serious than placing the wrong day/date on a communication to deserve a demotion/being fired.

And what, Sir, would happen if you did this continuously? I dare say this is not the 1st offense is it?
    "You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin charge around here." - Jane Cobb
  • snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    from sto face book page:

Thank you for your patience, Captains! The maintenance is finished and you can log into Star Trek Online once again (note: Holodeck is ready now, and Tribble should be ready in a few moments).
    edited May 2013
    sto8445 wrote: »
    And that's why you have to work for somebody, and i have people working for me. :cool:

Amen brother!!

I didn't get my business where it is by accepting mediocrity.
    edited May 2013
    so the next "Tour the Universe" is not for another 23 HOURS?!

wtf pwe

Oh my mistake, it's only in 21 hours, now I feel better, NOT ! :mad:
  • richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tribble's back up.
  • startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    looks like servers up now
    edited May 2013
    thx brandon,

sorry we missed the only "Tour of the Universe" event today due to cryptic/pwe poor timing on the 'scheduled maintanence'.
    edited May 2013
    but hey, don't worry,

that Tour of the Universe will be happening again, in about 21 hours!!!! :eek:
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    Morning Captains!

Maintenance went very well and completed earlier, but I've seen reports that the launcher was showing the incorrect date and no in-game warnings were received. I've passed this info along to the team that manages those to see if there is a possible bug in why it was displaying the wrong date/ no messaging was received.

Thanks for your support, and we'll see you in-game!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.