Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (May 4, 2013)

Comments

• Options
    stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Pro tip of the day: Don't host all your games on one cluster..... ;)

Well, nobody said Cryptic were pros at this kind of thing.

Outages, money-gouging and lack of content YES they're pros, but not at ensuring playability of just one of their games on a weekend.
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People are forgetting the engineers working in the data center.

It's all well and dandy to call for "do it later!" but at what point does it become unethical to force their engineers to work overtime beyond a point.

Look. The past days there have been major data center connectivity issues. This takes time to diagnose and formulate a way to repair it. That has been done, a fix is being rolled out during this downtime. Those engineers and network admins need to sleep and eat too. There a limit to the overtime that people can work, even legally! They're doing it now because now is the best time. Waiting to do it tomorrow/day after may be too risky. Postponing the maintenance until late night/morning may be impossible because the data center crew will be home as well. That crew are people too. You guys should be ashamed to expect them to work in slave-like circumstances, just so you can fly internet space ships on a Saturday night.

Life lesson: **** happens, deal with it.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most of you people really don't deserve help.

Brandon, you have my sympathies.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    one of Cryptic's Engineers installing the new Hardware!!!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRReIcD0PEw
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    sapyrothsapyroth Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like a private line from this companies servers laid directly to me through the north Atlantic Ocean. I'm tired of sharing it! And I'm in Portugal so it's not a big hassle! Thank you for providing me with a ping under 300! Woohoo! What you need 2 Billion ZEN for that? Meh :mad:
  • Options
    neobeethovenneobeethoven Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kryznix wrote: »
    Dear Devs,

This is getting F*c*ng ridiculous, the past few days the servers been down during my main time to play.... now maintenance during my main time to play.

Congratulations you have officially made a new player who loved the game enough to try and bring friends and co-workers to it... to a player who thinks this game is run by idiots and has me ready to move back to GW2 or TSW.

Ive played pretty much every major MMO and Ive never experienced so much downtime aside from initial release's.

Maybe its a fluke, but another week of this shi* and ill be leaving. Get your shi* together please.

Sincerely,
    Disappointed (aka: a paying customer)

Bye.

No, seriously. All of you who are upset by emergency maintenance like this and are cancelling subs or refusing to ever buy ZEN again or whatnot...see ya later. And good riddance.

Am I disappointed that they're down? Yes. But it's damn difficult to replace switches, routers, or other critical networking hardware without causing any interruptions, and a stupid idea besides.

Timing-wise? Saturday night might not have been the best choice, but how long would they be able to string along a failing piece of hardware? I'd bet they had the order for the replacement parts put in on Wednesday/Thursday/whichever day the issues truly began.

Sometimes, **** just happens, and the best-laid plans go awry. No company has the money to have spares for the critical equipment they need to do business, in the volume that would be required. Where I work, we have a total of nine switches. Can we afford to have nine spares in the back room, ready just in case one goes down? No. Parts can go bad at any time, and there's just no damn way to tell when.

Did they expect a huge influx of connections when NW went to open beta? I'm sure they did. Twenty thousand connections per shard? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm willing to bet they have a rather extensive setup for their equipment, simply because I know how much of that TRIBBLE is necessary for allowing even a mere hundred people to utilize the same resources.

Note--the above is a rather more calmly-worded response to "don't run everything on the same server u dunces" than I had originally planned.

Do I think Cryptic does everything right? No, but I think they do the best they can. Sometimes when problems like these crop up you just had to buckle down and fix them, regardless of what time it is or who may be affected or offended.

So while you whine about your Saturday night being wasted and boring, try to imagine the grunts who are also losing their Saturday nights trying to fix things so that you can get back to complaining in Zone chat instead of on the forums.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We're never going to reach the 500 page mark at this rate. :(
  • Options
    hatefuldeadhatefuldead Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No company is "out to get" their customers????

Have you *heard* of the lawsuits against Big Tobacco? I'm not saying, at all, that Cryptic falls into this category but Americans have been brainwashed for over 30 years that "companies" have their customer's best interest at heart which isn't true. Companies have their customers' *money* as their best interest.

Look at "pink slime" or antibiotic-resistant meats produced in this country and tell me again how companies have this fairy tale-esque care for the welfare of their customers.

I personally don't blame them as corporations have a legal obligation to make profit. That's their function but to act as if there is some morality or concern involved doesn't fit the facts of American business in 2013.
    Ok... so maybe MOST companies aren't "out to get" their customers lol... I'm fairly certain that in this specific case Cryptic execs didn't sit in a boardroom somewhere and say "Hey... it's Saturday evening... I'm thinking we should kick our user base on all our games in the nads just for kicks. Who's with me on this?" ;)
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The way I see it.... They are not all sharing "one" server.... they share a Connection that brings them out to you... if that connection fails then all games Fail....

now tell me this....

Would you rather have not had this "repair" today and suffer consequences that my put your captain out of Action tomorrow?

or

would you rather have that "out put Database" fixed right now in order to prevent more outages in the future.. Giving you more time have fun and level you captains up??

OR

would you rather have had this "repair" Friday given you no time to finish you CC event and get your reward?

OR

do you expect every MMO to be perfect and not suffer damage????

I'm afraid you've rather missed my point. Actually both my points.

Allow me to lay them out for you a little more clearly.

Point 1.

The increased load on the shared resources of STO and NW (and lets not forget CO as well) was utterly predictable. As utterly predictable as the idea that, in less than 3 weeks, there's going to be another huge spike in traffic when LoR launches.
    It's patently obvious that those shared resources were simply not adequate.

Point 2.

I think Brandflakes should spend a little less time pointing out some posters semantic errors regarding hardware achitecture and a little more time putting Cryptics hands up to a lack of foresight.

As for tonights maintainance, I'm actually rather glad its happening. We've had two evenings with catastrophic failure. To follow that up with a third outage, this time planned and scheduled, in order to fix the issue is encouraging.

However, as I've yet to see anyone at cryptic recognise that the issues of the last few days have been a result of system overload, I'm concerned about the launch of LoR.

May 21st is going to be huge. i want it to be smooth and as problem-free as possible. Because I want this game to succeed and for cryptic, as its developers, to get the recognition they deserve for putting out one of my favourite games of all time.

However, if may 21st is marred by system failures along the lines of those we've been experiencing lately, I'm worried they will burn through too much goodwill and earn a reputation as a company that can't predict the predictable.
  • Options
    trbblemedictrbblemedic Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guilli88 wrote: »

It's all well and dandy to call for "do it later!" but at what point does it become unethical to force their engineers to work overtime beyond a point.

Look. The past days there have been major data center connectivity issues. This takes time to diagnose and formulate a way to repair it. That has been done, a fix is being rolled out during this downtime. Those engineers and network admins need to sleep and eat too. There a limit to the overtime that people can work, even legally! They're doing it now because now is the best time. Waiting to do it tomorrow/day after may be too risky. Postponing the maintenance until late night/morning may be impossible because the data center crew will be home as well. That crew are people too. You guys should be ashamed to expect them to work in slave-like circumstances, just so you can fly internet space ships on a Saturday night.

Well said. I'll second that
  • Options
    mangas67mangas67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why for gods sake on a saturday night, high volume ,weekend,omg who's the beainiac
    :mad:
  • Options
    kyleburgesskyleburgess Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol i bet. And yeah i see for the most part. Since my free time i love to game. And when it goes down, for any game for that fact, it sucks alot. But the bright side is. when it comes back online, its usually better and less hassle for everyone. I just like to give ppl TRIBBLE who complain alot. Im a pc and network tech, and yeah it is bothersome when you cant game do to down time. There is other opp's to engage in. Now for a good movie or some other game to bide my time waiting on sto to launch yet again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    miller62miller62 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why are you all down a lot I wish you stop messing it up is that you all at Cryptic's got to do on the week end :mad:
  • Options
    hatefuldeadhatefuldead Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    one of Cryptic's Engineers installing the new Hardware!!!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRReIcD0PEw
    I've got tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at this lol
  • Options
    captainabbadoncaptainabbadon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    people mad, why so mad? cryptic only brokes it to make fix. now they make it go! just wait and see. maybe you are broked?
  • Options
    pops70pops70 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkNV0rSndJ0 This would be me trying to fix the problem. Good thing the paid professionals are on the job.
    Gamer formerly known as Grimbeard. SFC veteran.
  • Options
    mrspam404mrspam404 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maintenance is always progressing well it seems. Just wish it didn't have to happen four or five times a week. How well can it be progressing when it happens 4 times a week? Why does Brandon never come on and say this maintenance is going by terribly and is gonna take FOREVER. Everyone should stop believing every single thing they're told. Enough for me tho, I'd rather play something else. Gnite all.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guilli88 wrote: »

I personally have no issues with them taking it down whenever they darn well please with the intention to address issues. The problem from my point of view is if they do so without addressing whatever single point source of failure allows all Cryptic games to crash in symphony. I don't care how much hardware you throw at it, a single point of failure is still a single point of failure no matter how beefy.
  • Options
    godfearlessgodfearless Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what is going on it down again wtf are you guys going Thursday morning Thursday night then Friday night now Saturday night what the hell this is pissing me off fix it the right way. and if THE PERSON CANT FIX IT FIRE THAT PERSON AND GET SOMEONE THAT CAN FIX IT
    THIS IS A BIG WAIST OF MY TIME
    Ouch!! I still remember the loading time for BBS front-pages back then... (flashbacks to ASCII and Terminal connections hurt!!)

dude you would pissed off if the last 3 day you try to get on and nothing works again and again and again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can we get an estimated completion time?
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gypsyblade wrote: »

Soon (TM, Patent Pending)
  • Options
    captainmarethyucaptainmarethyu Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok. . . If they are going to do maintenance, why can't they do it at a more convenient time like on a weekday, and why does it take so long for it?! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some more footage of a Cryptic Engineer at work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_XU0-G_4Xs
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The original estimate was four hours......of course they may be doing a Scotty......
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've got tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at this lol

and here is Captain Zero doing Her Part!!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_03sYxRAg&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Main cause for Outages.. = Virus

Fix = Watch her fixing it!!!!

;)
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I don't know but i think if he says it takes appr. 4 hours then we have about 3 hours more to go...:eek:
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    kasandarokasandaro Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    passing thought, before I take the server-given hint and go sleep:

If the crash problems are load-related, then most likely the crowd that is Saturday night would have crashed them anyway? At least this way, everyone had something resembling warning (though, really, "scheduling" six hours out is pushing the term), and they can shut the systems down calmly without risking data corruption.
  • Options
    tango2bravotango2bravo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pinky the cat as a battle pet! ( http://youtu.be/dR_LHlFwlhk )
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok. . . If they are going to do maintenance, why can't they do it at a more convenient time like on a weekday, and why does it take so long for it?!

the weekly time slots got taken up by the "ahem" unscheduled ones :D
  • Options
    alexnt01alexnt01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If Anything Should Be Done For The Player Base Cause Of All This Server TRIBBLE Is Would Be...give Everyone Some Free Zen....to Make Up For Alll The Time And Effort Lost By This Stupid TRIBBLE...perfect World Has Made $$$ Off Us All That Play...and Especially All The Lifers That Paid In...yet We Seem To Get Nothing But A Whoops Or "sorry" That Is Really Meaningless In The Long Run...

Put Up Or Shut Up Perfect World...

You Claim To Care About Your Players That Feed You Money And Keep You In Business...but Simply Saying Cheap Words...and Doing Something That Shows You Care...those Are 2 Different Things Entirely...
This discussion has been closed.