test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (May 4, 2013)

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down all Cryptic games and services later tonight, Saturday, May 4th, for maintenance. We are planning to conduct this maintenance at 8PM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) and expect it to last for 4 hours. The test server will also be unavailable during this time.

The goal of this maintenance is for additional performance optimizations to help avoid the outages we've seen recently.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team

UPDATE: We are planning to conduct this maintenance at 8PM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) and expect it to last for 4 hours.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    something to do about the other night when everything went all wonky?
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting. Shed some light as to what specific issues the maintenance will address?
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds Like The New Hardware Has arrived.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Interesting. Shed some light as to what specific issues the maintenance will address?

Additional performance optimizations to help avoid the outages we've seen recently :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sounds Like The New Hardware Has arrived.

Or its that time of the year for the Cryptic / PWE Bbq where the STO teams is allowed to speak to the NW team lol jk :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Additional performance optimizations to help avoid the outages we've seen recently :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

So basically this is because of the other night when everything went all wonky and no one could get on for a while
  • Options
    jam062307jam062307 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    messahla wrote: »
    So basically this is because of the other night when everything went all wonky and no one could get on for a while

last two nights actually. 3 days in a row we are having server outages because of Neverwinter. Cryptics MO, bork your existing veteran customer base in favor of new naive players.
    STOP THE
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Better server(s) would be nice brandon.. especially with LoR not so far off.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jam062307 wrote: »
    last two nights actually. 3 days in a row we are having server outages because of Neverwinter. Cryptics MO, bork your existing veteran customer base in favor of new naive players.

Neverwinter was down too, but I guess that fact doesn't play into your hyperbole.
  • Options
    derbock203derbock203 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i guess, mostlikely due to the influx of players over there, so some loadbalancing stuff.

anyways.. is there any possibility the graphics improvements will be on holodeck before 21st? just played a few minutes over there and it looked awesome and felt more.. i dunno.. fluid
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down all Cryptic games and services later tonight, Saturday, May 4th, for maintenance. We are planning to conduct this maintenance at or after 5PM PDT -- once we have a maintenance timeframe, we'll be sure to update this post. The test server will also be unavailable during this time.

The goal of this maintenance is for additional performance optimizations to help avoid the outages we've seen recently.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team

The outages that have nothing to do with neverwinter, right?
    Just making sure about that.
    :p
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pro tip of the day: Don't host all your games on one cluster..... ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Running 3 games on one server is risky. Well running even 2 is risky...

But lets see what Cryptic does now.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    tazurensavulentazurensavulen Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's a good idea, put STO on it's own server.
    signature_for_kerbal_space_program_by_lord_inu_hanyou-dbhp8de.png
    [06/16 11:51] [Combat (Self)] Your Advanced Dual Heavy Radiant Antiproton Cannons - Hypercharge deals 237970 (113626) Antiproton Damage(Critical) to Tactical Cube.
    AHAHAHA! Eat it Borg!
    [09/15 11:01] [Combat (Self)] You lose 12187085 Cold Damage from Death.
    Death is OP, please nerf. I BLAME KURLAND FOR THIS!
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed. The way to solve the problem is to get Neverwinter off the STO servers.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Grr... and tonight was supposed to be the night that we (the cats & friends of the Ferasan Shadow Force) were going to have a filmed two-man of HSE. If only you pushed back the maintenance by like five hours... then everyone would be happy. :(

EDIT: I just thought of something. If the server isn't accidentaly going to go down tonight, then it has been made to artificially do so. :Confuzzled:

EDIT2: Thank you for pushing it back. :D
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    aukterus1aukterus1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because Saturday night at 5pst/7cst was definitely the best time to do this. No one will be playing then. Everybody plays Tuesday mornings, that would have been the worst.

G
  • Options
    zilla75zilla75 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    totally unacceptable. Do you guys not want my money anymore? can you not do this at 2 am? What is your deal? 4 hrs is waaaayyy too long for a sat primetime hours.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • Options
    derbock203derbock203 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    unacceptable? and if this has to be done to prevent worse..?
    its a game man.. not real life..
  • Options
    zardonfarzardonfar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why do you guys ever post things like this on Facebook?
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They can take as long as they want whenever they want, as long as things get fixed. :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    UPDATE: We are planning to conduct this maintenance at 8PM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) and expect it to last for 4 hours.

Also, there seems to be some speculation that Neverwinter, Champions and STO are on the same "server". While there are shared resources between the various Cryptic games, maintenance on one game does not necessarily mean that all games will undergo maintenance. Similarly, if one game goes down, it does not mean that all games will go down. All Cryptic games and services are affected for this is particular maintenance as we are performing work on network hardware in our data center.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The way I see it is this: it's better to get this done now, then to wait for a time that might seem to be more ideal. As this is likely the best time to do it, before anymore big crashes happen.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zilla75 wrote: »
    totally Unacceptable. Do You Guys Not Want My Money Anymore? Can You Not Do This At 2 Am? What Is Your Deal? 4 Hrs Is Waaaayyy Too Long For A Sat Primetime Hours.

this Post Has Been Edited To Remove Content Which Violates The perfect World Entertainment Community Rules And Policies . ~branflakes

America Is The Only Country In The World And We Want The Patches To Revolve Around Us At All Times.

4am UK time. Works for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Also, there seems to be some speculation that Neverwinter, Champions and STO are on the same "server". While there are shared resources between the various Cryptic games, maintenance on one game does not necessarily mean that all games will undergo maintenance. Similarly, if one game goes down, it does not mean that all games will go down. All Cryptic games and services are affected for this is particular maintenance as we are performing work on network hardware in our data center.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Pretty vague brandon. But they are all on one server (correct?), so if you have high demand on a certain game "depending on load" it will effect the others. Its been seen with champs ect when sto went live. No affence I hate when you guys chat about things, you guys try to avoid saying to much when we want answers when we see this many drops in service in the last few days. Not to mention one day it was down almost 6+ hrs.

Whats being done in terms of making sure there is no lag or isses soley for STO? I went on today and still experiencing lag, and it all started when Neverwinter went open beta...

And dont forget we hae a huge expansion soley for STO coming up in the next few weeks.. id expect huge numbers to be online...
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    /votes to push it to 2am PDT. This makes more sense.
  • Options
    asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love the sound that the server makes before it goes down...

*makes a wheezing whoosh sound*

It's a brilliant noise.
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aukterus1 wrote: »
    /votes to push it to 2am PDT. This makes more sense.

When no one is in the office at Cryptic. Yep. Makes a lot of sense.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Except whomever's hours they shift around to be at the office at that time, to patch this up whenever it's low traffic hours.
This discussion has been closed.