What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (May 4, 2013)

Comments

• Options
    cookiemnster35cookiemnster35 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It never ceases to amaze me, no matter what game I play or what company manages it... Whenever things go awry for smooth and consistent game play the outcry is the same for each and every one...

"<Company X> doesn't respect us as customers!!"
    "I'm going back to <Game Y>!!"
    "Give me free stuff!!"
    "How dare you interrupt your service during the times *I* want to use them?!?"

And on and on... Contrary to popular belief no company is 'out to get' their customers. Most companies are actively trying to address the concerns of their customer base but don't always have adequate resources to do so in the turn-around their customers demand (with online games this appears to be "before it was broken in the first place"). Most companies will not go out of their way to interrupt their services at all, let alone during "prime time" (which is an interesting concept for a game played world-wide).

No, I'm not advocating for Cryptic or Perfect World or any company... I'm just saying that going online to the forums and throwing a temper tantrum doesn't specifically help in any way. Your game won't be up any faster, your sense of self-importance won't be any more fulfilled, and you will only have succeeded in sounding like every other spoiled individual in today's "instant gratification" marketplace.

Anywho, yeah... my 2 cents ;) Flame away, as I'm sure you will.

But they we can't have our party, you know we HAVE to have our pity party, someone's head isn't blowing up every 30 sec.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also, there seems to be some speculation that Neverwinter, Champions and STO are on the same "server". While there are shared resources between the various Cryptic games, maintenance on one game does not necessarily mean that all games will undergo maintenance. Similarly, if one game goes down, it does not mean that all games will go down. All Cryptic games and services are affected for this is particular maintenance as we are performing work on network hardware in our data center.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I don't wish to be rude, Brandon, but the above is rather an insult to your players intelligence.

Two nights in a row you have had unplanned outages of all your games, not just STO, not just NW, all of them.

Clearly there is an issue with somthing that connects all the games.

So, when people talk about how cryptic need to keep games seperated, then we may well have a point.

The increased load from NW clearly broke something shared by all the games.

Now, from a semantic point of view, I'm sure its true that each game has its own dedicated hardware, so seperate servers.

However, not everyone on these august fora is totally au fait with the correct nomenclature for game hosting hardware.

What is abundantly clear is that hardware shared by all your games failed catastrophically.

what is also abundantly clear, is that such a failure is attributable to the wholly predictable load on said hardware by the numbers of people playing NW.

And what is finally abundantly clear, is that this should never have been allowed to happen.

It was a lack of foresight.

Those shared resources you mention simply failed to stand up to the demands on them.

Thus, non network technicians can easily be forgiven for saying the servers failed. Maybe it was the switches, or the magic widgets or the tribbles.......but from a non tech point of view, they're all server stuff.

If you spent a little less time correcting a simple semantic error and a little more time putting Cryptics hand up to a lack of foresight, then a lot more goodwill would be forthcoming.

tldr.....cryptic made a huge error, stop trying to correct peoples understanding of tech hardware instead of admitting said error.
  • Options
    punktribblepunktribble Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mdsmith1 wrote: »
    I've been playing a few months and it really is a bit much - I'm not going to whine or lose it over not being able to play on a saturday night, but really...this game is down or has issues a TON. Get you're act together or people WILL get tired of it.

*holds up cane* You have no idea sonny.......maybe by the time my son graudumacates from High school, they will have everything fixed......I's gots me an edumacation :D
  • Options
    wildchild8wildchild8 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Was hoping to jump on a play the night away but shard is down for fixes... :(

so to pass the time a simple thread.... why we love STO.... bugs, server issues and all that negative schtuff aside... fact of the matter we still love STO, or else we would have gone somewhere else by now....

I have to admit, problems bugs, "lack of content" aside, i still love STO, but im biased... i dont play(havent played) all the story missions... ever.... so i cant complain about lack of content... my STO experience is STFS, PVP, and general grind as we all must.

and still love it.... #glutton for punishment....

but what say ye? what makes STO great for you... bugs etc aside (which in fairness i think they might actually be fixing alot this time round...)

Let me start...

Loving the new content( I might actually play all missions) lovin the new ships ( I'll take a mogai thank you) and I'll still enjoy STFS even if for the millionth time. PVP wise i likes the pew pew and OP setups or not ( I actually dont believe any setup is OP unless exploiting in the long term every build has a counter when you know what you're at....) My only request is full 360 movement up and down....

so pray tell, what makes STO great. POSITIVES people, I dont want a flame thread, sit back and think what keeps bringing you back?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.elitedefensestarfleet.com

/channel_join PublicEliteSTF
    PublicEliteSTF Channel Info: bit.ly/PublicEliteSTFV2
    WE WANT A KDF BOP 3 PACK!!
  • Options
    tango2bravotango2bravo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea id rather them do this than have a crash, esp if its to add new hardware. That would be awesome.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    idrona wrote: »
    I'm glad you guys are doing this (whatever it is exactly you are replacing). :)

A more detailed blog or post about technical stuff would be even cooler if possible, preferrably with pics of wires and shiny hardware + hamsters.

OMG, live web cam! With live chat for us to rage in!
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All I say is do it right and take your time and check, double check, triple check, and maybe even quadruple check the equipment as you turn it on bit by bit after this maintenance.

For those that are complaining and whining worse than a Tribble in the middle of a Borg cube...take a breather and understand they probably want to keep you happy and seeing any of you unhappy and not playing is the last thing they want.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    skullreapers2skullreapers2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Down again I wanted to play STO tonight got to for 30 mins then tried to go to NeverWinter of course its down too GET IT RIGHT BEFORE YOU LOSE EVERYONE Damn It
  • Options
    sapyrothsapyroth Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Too bad this had to be done on a weekend but I hope this will prevent further crashes to months to come and not just buy a few weeks. I would be grateful if you could make the tech team aware of some major latency issues regarding the "Into The Hive" Space mission. Everything else in the game worked pretty well, but when it comes to that PVE content every time I play it several team players disconnect and have all sorts of problems including myself.

Hopefully this maintenance will fix those issues without further a due! Also nice to see some detailed notifications on the launcher. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Which... could very easily be explained by them sharing network equipment without them having to be on the same server... but hey... you're obviously determined to be 'right', no? ;)

Mr 2 posts, why not reply with your real account :)
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    silverrain79silverrain79 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mazerunner wrote: »
    Thanks, now I have an image of SB defense thats like listening to Shatner talk. in. the. original...series.

As for the downtime, hey at least we got notice about it unlike the last two mornings.

Pretty much... We ran it the other night when flying through sector space was like a warp speed epileptic seizure... During the two large battles I literally just sat there tapping my keys b/c I had absolutely no idea what I was shooting at. My ship would be one place, then another, then another. Even on the lowest settings with all the bells and whistles turned off that map is a nightmare, which is sad b/c it'd be really fun otherwise.

And yeah, we had some warning unlike the other night, but it seems like it's getting a little ridonculous. I mean, they have to KNOW things aren't right... Everyone I know on STO is complaining about lag. And then to dedicate the same resources, which were already strained, to another game... I'm not even an IT professional and I could have told you THAT was a bad idea. lol So I guess I'll hit the sack early and try to get some gameplay in before work tomorrow, at least get my dil refined... Assuming the game hasn't imploded on itself.
    Delirium Tremens
    XO of Training
    Tier 5 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy, Tier 3 Dilithium Mine, Tier 3 Spire
    Join us at www.dtfleet.com
  • Options
    charliescot25charliescot25 Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gutted...I may as well enjoy my sleep.
    [SIGPIC]USSDundee_zpsfcfe716b.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cdnhawkcdnhawk Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My fleet actually got caught right in the middle of absorbing the assets of a dead fleet... don't think we got it all done before the cra... err, scheduled maintenance.
  • Options
    jnoaubreyjnoaubrey Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since the maintenance is during prime time to repair network infrastructure, I'm betting they've been seeing some serious network errors building up and need to respond, but are limited on availability of network resources or materials. Even though there's probably some level of redundancy, the problem is related to L3 error messages and WAN stability. You've done analysis for the past day or so and have decided on some hardware config changes and now you're implementing them. Even though there are clustered servers and redundant network infrastructure, there will be 'bumps' to network connections during the work so it's best to schedule a down window so you don't anger customers or corrupt any server data...

Ok, Cryptic.. did I guess right? do I get a prize? How close was I? not even close..? sigh.... :(
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    Neverwinter was down too, but I guess that fact doesn't play into your hyperbole.

see that's the thing that bothers me. What exactly is causing this outtage why are two unrelated games having performance issues? I'm worried that there is some kind of crossover that's causing this issue. Are they using the exact same login server? Is that the issue?

Because I'm remembering back to battlenet, that when that started it didn't cause SC/D3/WoW to all suddenly start crashing similtaneously.
  • Options
    caiphuscaiphus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    topset wrote: »
    America Is The Only Country In The World And We Want The Patches To Revolve Around Us At All Times.

4am UK time. Works for me.

11 PM EST. Works fine for me too. I could always act like all of the money I've spent on the game makes me somehow more privileged and demand that you cater to me specifically and ignore the rest of the player base, but since I've spent about $5 total I really don't care.

Honestly I don't care HOW long they take the game down so long as things get FIXED.
  • Options
    hatefuldeadhatefuldead Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mr 2 posts, why not reply with your real account :)
    Actually this is my real account... I just don't spend my life on the forums like some people ;) Didn't really see much point to posting anything before I got bored due to server down time today lol

And I'm not saying you're not allowed to be grumpy about down time, just that it's not always as cut-and-dry as people seem to believe it is.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In before the merge
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    atticusmasatticusmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Take down ALL your games during peak hours.

Smart idea, cryptic.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STO has some of the best communities for me. Gameplay that just keeps me coming back. Add the fact it's Trek and I love Trek. Not to mention I get to play a Lion-like species here so it's an instant win :D.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    crackerz1crackerz1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you fix or i find you
  • Options
    cdnhawkcdnhawk Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this was a network stability problem, I have to ask the same thing my ISP says everytime I call their tech support: "Did you try wiggling the wires?"
  • Options
    silverfaustxsilverfaustx Member Posts: 262
    edited May 2013
    why u ppl home on a saturday night?
    (sunday morning here)
  • Options
    tango2bravotango2bravo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A live web cam in the server room would be cool. On such occasions and crashes we could critique work progress, mannerisms and general worker apparel and appearance.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not being mean to FEDS but what I love about STO is I get to decloak in-front of a FED and blow them the hell up and go MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! in zone recloak and scurry away before his pals proton torpedo my TRIBBLE into next year :3

Was wanting to do this but noooooooo more downtime U__U not a good day to die.
  • Options
    pops70pops70 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh well. I won't complain too much. As much actual money I have spent on Zen I could buy my own server. Just hope my contributions go to quality hardware. As for Neverwinter, did gaming really need another fantasy hack and slash? The Neverwinter brand should have died when the Bioware login servers were TRIBBLE and thousands of accounts compromised. Just sayin..Bioware seems to taint games that would otherwise have potential.
    Gamer formerly known as Grimbeard. SFC veteran.
  • Options
    hatefuldeadhatefuldead Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cdnhawk wrote: »
    "Did you try wiggling the wires?"
    This... so much this... thanks for the chuckle :P
  • Options
    punktribblepunktribble Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why u ppl home on a saturday night?
    (sunday morning here)

cause I'm broke and it's too expensive to go out drinking
  • Options
    sapyrothsapyroth Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rinkster wrote: »
    I don't wish to be rude, Brandon, but the above is rather an insult to your players intelligence.

Two nights in a row you have had unplanned outages of all your games, not just STO, not just NW, all of them.

Clearly there is an issue with somthing that connects all the games.

So, when people talk about how cryptic need to keep games seperated, then we may well have a point.

The increased load from NW clearly broke something shared by all the games.

Now, from a semantic point of view, I'm sure its true that each game has its own dedicated hardware, so seperate servers.

However, not everyone on these august fora is totally au fait with the correct nomenclature for game hosting hardware.

What is abundantly clear is that hardware shared by all your games failed catastrophically.

what is also abundantly clear, is that such a failure is attributable to the wholly predictable load on said hardware by the numbers of people playing NW.

And what is finally abundantly clear, is that this should never have been allowed to happen.

It was a lack of foresight.

Those shared resources you mention simply failed to stand up to the demands on them.

Thus, non network technicians can easily be forgiven for saying the servers failed. Maybe it was the switches, or the magic widgets or the tribbles.......but from a non tech point of view, they're all server stuff.

If you spent a little less time correcting a simple semantic error and a little more time putting Cryptics hand up to a lack of foresight, then a lot more goodwill would be forthcoming.

tldr.....cryptic made a huge error, stop trying to correct peoples understanding of tech hardware instead of admitting said error.

Touch? ! Nuff said..
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Unlike most people here that only want to be playing STO when its down.. I rather Sit Down Relax.... Read the Blogs on LoR, or Watch a movie.. or play another non"online" game.. I dunno, Battlefield 3.. Maybe Crysis 2 or how about some good old GTA: San Andreas, or Mafia II, Or even The GOOD OLD TIMES, Mario.... .. if not go to sleep and tomorrow in the Morning it be all Shinny and Fixed are ready to take on more of STO!!!!
    6tviTDx.png

This discussion has been closed.