rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    axel667 wrote: »
    "Star Trek Not Responding"

Star Trek: The Undiscovered Fan Failure
  • Options
    sixacedeucesixacedeuce Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wouldn't it make sense to do this during NON-peak hours? Like a weekday when people are usually working, and not a Saturday nite when a lot of players stay up late at nite playing the game?
  • Options
    captainabbadoncaptainabbadon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    opin-onions dont make things go. stop having onions. no thinking. no smiling. no crying
    no hating, not make things go. cryptic broke. world is not dead. they make fix, then we go. yay! .... wait an see!
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this not only has to do with the outages weve had recently but with LoR on the horizon they cannot afford for the release day to go wrong...like an outage due to amount of players.

We all know that when LoR releases there is going to be a mad rush of players on STO and if the servers are not ready to handle that volume of players on at the same time we could have a massive server crash.

So quit whining about the downtime relax and understand this is something that needs to be done.
  • Options
    mazerunnermazerunner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not really. Even as a playing character, I can accept downtime. Why do people expect 100% uptime? It's not only unrealistic, it proves that you have no life outside of a computer game! So they took it down on a Saturday night. Go on a date or something.

It has to do with years of being told the in-ter-webz's can give you what you want without waiting. If you've never seen it, watch the firestorm when an email system goes down from the users of any ISP or email service provider.

Gaming is merely an extension of that.
    MazeRunner

"Reason notwithstanding, the Universe continues unabated."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wouldn't it make sense to do this during NON-peak hours? Like a weekday when people are usually working, and not a Saturday nite when a lot of players stay up late at nite playing the game?

Well, actually no.

Given our experience of the last couple of nights, I'd suggest that if it wasn't done tonight we'd be looking at an unscheduled failure instead of a maintainance that'd have to happen later.
  • Options
    pakledworldpakledworld Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why am I expecting more of the same or worse???
    Pakled World Entertainment: Looking for things to make STO go since 2011.

We have found it: General Server Stability. We are strong now...
  • Options
    iceekungfuiceekungfu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for fixing things. However, I find your maintenance window to be poorly planned. Saturday night during prime hours? How about 4 AM PST? That would be better for your players.
  • Options
    axel667axel667 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    messahla wrote: »
    I think this not only has to do with the outages weve had recently but with LoR on the horizon they cannot afford for the release day to go wrong...like an outage due to amount of players.

We all know that when LoR releases there is going to be a mad rush of players on STO and if the servers are not ready to handle that volume of players on at the same time we could have a massive server crash.

So quit whining about the downtime relax and understand this is something that needs to be done.

But mooom, if we don't whine here you'll have to llisten to it during a match. :D
    Are you free?
  • Options
    shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I almost look forward to downtime because every time it happens I get to watch enraged nerds and fan boys start pinwheeling their arms and running at each other in the forums. I'm not trying to criticize any of you as this happens in every online game ever, and is a natural and expected reaction to any sort of downtime. What I am saying though is if some of you were to step back and read your own posts you might very well laugh.

My own opinion? All games go offline periodically for maintenance or because they crash. Still I'm not saying people shouldn't complain. I mean it's very annoying every time it happens. What I am saying is some of us may be overreacting. STO is just a game. It's a very fun game that many of us, myself included, are addicted to, but it's still just a game.

Though I would like to complain about lockboxes being too addicting. I'm a lockbox junkie. Hopefully the next lockbox will hold a cure. I'll just have to keep opening them until I get one. Or two. Or three... I might go for the ship too... Help meh!
  • Options
    elandyllelandyll Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Peak US time on a Saturday night, 8pm PST, you go for a *scheduled* maintenance?

Are you guys Insane?
  • Options
    bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited May 2013

Given what's happened this week what are the chances it would have failed and been down anyway? At least this was a scheduled outage. Now if, after not being able to play tonight, ESTFs are still a slideshow and the servers go down again for 4-5 hours at a time then I'm going to get annoyed.
  • Options
    captainabbadoncaptainabbadon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i not laugh at my post, i srs. things not go. that srs beedness. things broke. hope fix soon. i wait an see. maybe call geordi if take tuu long.
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I may add some of my experience to this conversation... we have a 9 million dollar data center at my job, not including the equipment in it, and our latest toy is an SSD SAN capable for 400k IOps... We are going to load it with VM's for our parallel processing environment and we are hoping to get tripple the GB/hr to justify the cost....

Now, everyone keeps busting on Cryptic engineers about their speed and when they chose to conduct maintenance. You should know that most hardware such as SANs, tape devices, networking equipment, etc, etc are on contract. Most times it's the vendor that is the doing hardware repair and maintenance. Most likely Cryptic doesn't even touch their SAN or network hardware. Their vendor brings it in, sets it up and Cryptic just configures it to their needs.

For example, 3par, they brought in an SSD SAN for us to mess with. None of our guys lifted a finger, same with Kaminaro, and we have a 3rd we are going to mess with. This is common practice even when not evaluating equipment. We had a tape drive go bad in our IBM tape system. Same thing, we waited for the vendor to show up and make the repair. The vendor came with the wrong part, so we waited some more. Of course during the unplanned outage, we had something come up where we had to investigate archived data and the client had to wait for their answer.

Like cosmic1 said, their hand has been forced.

And who says outsourcing is a bad thing... -.-
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    shadore wrote: »
    I almost look forward to downtime because every time it happens I get to watch enraged nerds and fan boys start pinwheeling their arms and running at each other in the forums. I'm not trying to criticize any of you as this happens in every online game ever, and is a natural and expected reaction to any sort of downtime. What I am saying though is if some of you were to step back and read your own posts you might very well laugh.

!

To be fair, i just hit F5 five times in a row with no new posts.

This is a very slow pinwheel compared to some.

Perhaps a fan broke.
  • Options
    chakotay2003chakotay2003 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Friends and neighbors, I don't know why we have to go through all this BS when the servers go down. Sure, some of us have taken advantage of the F2P capability, and many of us haven't. That being said, it's no use complaining, so just sit it out and wait for the servers to come back up. Sheesh.
  • Options
    hatefuldeadhatefuldead Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rinkster wrote: »

Perhaps a fan broke.
    They're just reloading their flame-throwers ;) (boo, hiss... bad pun!!)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.
    Are you free?
  • Options
    cdnhawkcdnhawk Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rinkster wrote: »

Perhaps a fan broke.

I completely agree. This outage is nowhere near as entertaining as last night's.
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    axel667 wrote: »
    But mooom, if we don't whine here you'll have to llisten to it during a match. :D

Perhaps a diaper change is in order for you? perhaps you need your mum to burp you?

Match your mum lets you play with matches?! :eek:

lol juust joking :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    They're just reloading their flame-throwers ;) (boo, hiss... bad pun!!)

Ah Hah!

Thats why the Romulan flame thrower was taken out of the game.

The fora cannae take it.......
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Here is something to watch while we wait the update to finish....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcnoh3oJJKs

:D
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    godfearlessgodfearless Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i bet the day crew could not fix it so they going to try the night crew hopeing they can fix the sever lolololololololololololol
  • Options
    northwoodznorthwoodz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I may add some of my experience to this conversation... we have a 9 million dollar data center at my job, not including the equipment in it, and our latest toy is an SSD SAN capable for 400k IOps... We are going to load it with VM's for our parallel processing environment and we are hoping to get tripple the GB/hr to justify the cost....
    Welcome to the club.
    Now, everyone keeps busting on Cryptic engineers about their speed and when they chose to conduct maintenance. You should know that most hardware such as SANs, tape devices, networking equipment, etc, etc are on contract. Most times it's the vendor that is the doing hardware repair and maintenance. Most likely Cryptic doesn't even touch their SAN or network hardware. Their vendor brings it in, sets it up and Cryptic just configures it to their needs.
    Not always true. Most time the local tech's being sent out are really delivery boys with a couple of screwdrivers. Outside of Data Domain (or EMC Data Domain), I very rarely ever let a vendor touch anything...way to many incomponent people.
    For example, 3par, they brought in an SSD SAN for us to mess with. None of our guys lifted a finger, same with Kaminaro, and we have a 3rd we are going to mess with. This is common practice even when not evaluating equipment. We had a tape drive go bad in our IBM tape system. Same thing, we waited for the vendor to show up and make the repair. The vendor came with the wrong part, so we waited some more. Of course during the unplanned outage, we had something come up where we had to investigate archived data and the client had to wait for their answer.

Like cosmic1 said, their hand has been forced.

The new StorServ 7x00's also have an option for customer install. Tape drives really need die.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I hear responsibilities calling me...such a strange sound. Sounds like , "Feed me Seymour." Oh god the thing in the sink is alive!!!! Alert medical.
    Are you free?
  • Options
    karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My main concern is about the safety of the game service and the safely my game account.

I can accept if the server turn off for emergencial reasons if is not too frequent or if is a scheduled maintenance.

Perhaps it is a problem beyond the control of staff, which depends on time or a group of others peoplo outside of the crypt/pw to work to resolve this.

But despite not having enough technical knowledge, a more clear and detailed explanation about the problem could be less frustrating.

Not "nerd rage", but wishing to have more reliable information.
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    And who says outsourcing is a bad thing... -.-

It's not so much about outsourcing, it more like a condition of the warranty. They don't want other people's grubby hands on the hardware. So it's on the vendor/manufacture when 15 disks drop from the SAN and performance in is the toilet.

Just like leasing a car.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Maintenance, the beast at Tanagra.
    Are you free?
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    messahla wrote: »
    Business is business and Cryptic and PWE are a business what people buy in zen and keys is what keeps this game going.

So if you dont like how they do business then it begs the question why are you still playing as i dont see alot of people complaining like you are.

I like how you take a conversation I was having and taking it completely out of context. I'm not complaining...at all. In fact, I was doing the *opposite* of complaining and bringing rationality to a discussion where some feel Cryptic doesn't care about their product.

I don't mind being called out for things I say, just those things I didn't say that others are unable to understand.
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elandyll wrote: »
    Peak US time on a Saturday night, 8pm PST, you go for a *scheduled* maintenance?

Are you guys Insane?

It is star war's day anyways, this just gives homage to May the 4th Be With you for the last few hours.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
This discussion has been closed.