test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starfleet Special Operations Fleet: Role Play, Social and Leveling

Comments

• stonelokistoneloki Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zeropium wrote: »
    Damn Loki, my brain almost got lost reading that one!!

The point as always Zero the Hero is this, what can your fleet, do for YOU?

Is it STF runs your after? Is it base defence or PVP? Is it hanging out with a great group of people that enjoy playing the game while leaving all the politics behind?

How many of you have joined a fleet and been treated like you don't matter? How many have been treated like a notch on that fleets number belt?

Put simply you will never be a quota here, you will never be made to feel like you don't have a place cause your a low level drone, cause we never treat people like that at SSO.

I know for a fact people leave fleets every day cause they are made to feel either unwelcome, or they are treated like just another number thats walked in the door.

Too many fleets put admirals and RA's and FC's in charge of divisions that split up the fleet as a whole. So what did we do? We threw that TRIBBLE out the window!

We threw out ranks and divisions and anything that seperates our members because at the end of the day YOU are what matters here, not the fleet, its just a fleet, its a tool that has brought us together to ENJOY the game, not get bossed around by some 12 year old sitting in his bedroom getting yelled out to take out the trash by his mom while he sits in judgement over fellow fleet members, forget that lol.

SSO is about one thing, fun, fun with friends, fun with family, fun in a game that is meant for it.

Can't see anyone throwing out the old ways and bringing something fun to a guild?

Check us out for yourselves at www.ssofleet.com

Tell'em Loki sent you!

Cheers!
    2p1n3_by_rainrivermusic-d6fyhfm_zpsemwlec9g.gif
  • zeropiumzeropium Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stoneloki wrote: »
    The point as always Zero the Hero is this, what can your fleet, do for YOU?

I knew it...that's gonna be attached to me from this point on. Who do I have to thank for that one?

However, to anyone reading this, the point is that Loki hits the nail on the head here.
    During my short time with these folks, I've never been steered in the wrong direction, or made to feel unwelcome at all.
    Give them a try, and it won't be long before you know what I'm talking about.
  • noriekunorieku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was trying to get into contact with someone in game. Could someone shoot Celest@norieku a msg in game. (or sarah could check PMs on your forums).

thanks ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nimshaenimshae Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey There Nor
    I have indeed got your message!, I will reply now while I have my much needed morning cup of tea while my son snoozes in bed.

I think we will be a great fit for you, and already I see you have a creative streak a mile wide!!

*hugs*

Sarah

By the way, come join us, I have cookies....never mind Loki sent you...tell em Sarah did *sticks tongue out*
    SSO Fleet Understands that this is a game, that it's sole purpose is to escape from the harsh realities of life. Thats why we promise, we offer fun, frolics without the mandatory rules and structure. Come escape with us, we dare you.....
    edited May 2013
    ^^ there you go again Sarah, always looking after everyone. I'm very pleased you and Loki are on the ball with getting in touch with people. There are many others in your position who simply just wouldn't give a damn.
    I feel bad for all the players looking to join fleets, play the game, socialize and have a good time who are being hindered by the constant server down-times, patches, etc.
    Hopefully we'll get through the bulls*it soon so we can all get together and share some of Sarah's cookies. I'm assuming Loki will provide the Romulan ale.
    edited May 2013
    Yep, checked the PM. Thanks for the reply. ^^ I rambled some more back to ya. I should be in game when servers come back up.

Somewhat branching off what Zeropium said, I feel the effort put in a guild/clan/fleet website is often a correlation of the effort put into running the group- if someone takes a bunch of time to make a group look good, they'll prolly take the time to run it well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Hey Norieku!

Believe it or not, beyond the initial setup of the website and getting this recruiting page up and going this fleet/guild runs itself. We don't have a stringent command structure, sure we have a forum GM and Fleet GM but our job is one thing, helping members, and helping members get in, thats the brass tax of it.

Sure I can go on the forums and say "Hey lets get together to do some SB runs or STF's, but its never manditory and no ones feelings are in the mix, people show up they don't they don't no one is throwing their teddy's out of the cot.

We are all members, even the admins are, and the one rule we have, don't be a D bag, and if someone does act that way I guess thats when the GM comes out but that has yet to happen here as we are all a pretty laid back group that enjoys company in game, a fleet of brothers we merry few, who aren't that few any more lol.

So I guess what I am saying is, the members run this fleet, cause in the end the members are what this fleet is about, what we are built on, friends, family, fun lol.
    edited May 2013
    Have a style of leadership where the group "governs itself", is still leadership. Maybe leadership is the wrong word; maybe "administrative officer," better fits. You all put down the effort for the forums and your website. The framework of the group was laid down by someone. Your framework is for everyone to have fun and get along. Another groups focus may be dominating pvp. In the end someone had to get the ball rolling on both accounts.

Needless to say and one free bump later, I'm excited to be getting into the fleet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    *raises hand timidly* I am to blame for the web site that's my thing for the fleet and my main area if you like of expertise.

The other thing I have going for me, 13 years of MMO experience either running or in management of fleets and guilds.

I have seen the good, the bad, and the down right ugly....

This is my swan song, my retirement from all that, where I really wanted to take what a learnt and see if it was possible to put friends first.

So far it's working, but honest, I would say test us out...

Sarah
    SSO Fleet Understands that this is a game, that it's sole purpose is to escape from the harsh realities of life. Thats why we promise, we offer fun, frolics without the mandatory rules and structure. Come escape with us, we dare you.....
    edited May 2013
    norieku wrote: »
    Have a style of leadership where the group "governs itself", is still leadership. Maybe leadership is the wrong word; maybe "administrative officer," better fits. You all put down the effort for the forums and your website. The framework of the group was laid down by someone. Your framework is for everyone to have fun and get along. Another groups focus may be dominating pvp. In the end someone had to get the ball rolling on both accounts.

Needless to say and one free bump later, I'm excited to be getting into the fleet.

Honestly Norieku I almost walked away from STO completely even though I love the game I had one of the worst experiences I could have had with a fleet in game.

Bickering, fighting, secret police following their own agenda instead of pretecting the community it was terrible. So I almost walked away, but then I took some time, thought about it, and said that I know people feel as I do, that a fleet CAN function under its won steam without admirals or councils or people ruling over others only absorbed with how much power they can obtain.

So I went to Sarah, talked with some others, and we did this. While I may have been the one to hold up my hand and ask for a rally they rallied, and we wouldn't be here without people like them, or the ones that have joined, or you as well.:cool:
    edited May 2013
    What does a fleet tell you on these boards?

Do they tell you how many numbers they have, how they are so large and have everything you could dream of? Do they tell you that in order to join you have to fill out a 5 page essay along with confirming your identity on their forums, on these forums, and in game before they allow you to join?

Now I am all for recruiting members, members that care about their community and those in it, but making you jump through 9 hoops all so they can look better isn't what a good fleet does for its members, the transition into a fleet should be easy and simple, not layered in Bureaucratic nonsense so that they can feel better about being powerful.

Cut out the Fleet drama, cut out the nonsense, the power mongers, and the people who only care about numbers.

SSO was formed with this goal in mind, to make the players important again! Not numbers, ranks, or petty politics.

Joining a fleet is one of the largest choices you can make in STO, do your homework, check the facts before a truely crappy experience ruins a wonderful aspect of this game.

See you out there!

Loki
    edited May 2013
    Let us take a moment and go back to my first experiences in a fleet:
    I was very new to the game at the time. I had barely been playing for about a week and had received some random friend/fleet invite while wandering around the earth space dock.
    At first, I declined. I was new, very green around the edges with not much gameplay experience. I didn't want to be in a fleet at all until I had a firm grasp on the game itself and the mechanics.
    This person yet again sent me an invite, so I felt compelled to thank them, but wanted to decline again as I explained that I wasn't very good at the time. I had just started my second mission and was still feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything. However, this person insisted that they would help out, so I caved and accepted.
    I proceeded to share my mission with them on a team, as he/she offered to walk me through it.
    We flew out to sector space and entered the required system. After landing on the planet, I was lost. This person was running from point to point, speaking with everyone I was supposed to and just skipping through the dialogue. I had no clue what was going on. Soon enough, the mission had been completed and I had no idea what had just happened.
    Suffice to say, I opted out of the fleet after that with my hopes shattered.
    The second fleet I was in was no better. It was a numbers and ranks game and nothing else. While viewing their roster, I was dazed seeing my name lumped in with the hundreds of others stuck in limbo at the 'chief' rank. And worst of all, you would think with a fleet that large, somebody would be talking. Nope, nobody ever talked to anyone. I sent out numerous greetings and small talks in the fleet channel and was met with dead silence. My time with them was finished.
    I continued on, going solo from that point.
    Then I found SSO. I studied their forums, absorbed everything I could about what they were offering and opted to give them a shot. Since then, my faith in humanity has been restored. During my short time with them, I've truly felt like a part of something. Members talk to each other, they brainstorm, conceptualize, and do everything that should be done while managing a fleet. And most of all, they are open, friendly and always put the needs of the members at the top of their list.
    No, I'm not digging for brownie points here. This is truly how I see this group.
    Do you think I got yelled at when my ship got blindsided and destroyed during a fleet battle? Hell no. We're human. We all make mistakes. You respawn, get back in the fight, and when it's over, we just know we had fun together win or lose.
    That's what it's all about.
    If you want to be treated like a number on a roster spot, this fleet is not for you. Go be a drone somewhere else. But if you want to feel like a human who's feelings and opinions/ideas matter, look no further. Humanity within gamers has a home, and it's here in SSO.

-Shepard out.
  • vx989vx989 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Huh just came to the realization that I despite the fact I have done nothing in Legacy besides create a character I have no desire to play it. I think I'm actually done playing STO...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Just a quick plug for sso. I want to get out there that the people in the group remember video games are still meant as forms of entertainment and not gauges of success. These fellas are fun. How CRUSHING is sso in pvp, pve, or their fleet holdings? I couldn't tell ya, they're not important to me.

I've only been playing two or three months, but in that time I've gotten hundreds, maybe thousands of blind invites. I'm not hating on these fleets, but wouldn't it pay to know WHO you're inviting? What message does it sent to the people who get it? How do you know if the people you invite will mesh with those already in? I see the purpose in this recruitment method if your only purpose is to fill your fleet holdings- but then, who wants to be a cog?

In my short time with SSO I feel its an exceptionally adult group. They have wonderful tact, maturity, and respect for one another- all characteristics of a mature adult. I'm not really looking to actively help recruit per'se, just wanting someone to know the facts about sso. We recently had a little pvp event.. thing before servers went down. I actually felt guilty for taking someone out, they're that nice. I also don't want to paint a picture of vulnerability. Each member I have interacted with while very kind, has a degree of self respect and dignity.

There have been other fleets that caught my eye, and I wish those all the luck to reach whatever goals they may have. However, I'm happy I threw it in with SSO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    And I have to say recruitement is thriving....

Someone must be awfully good with the recruitment nets....thats all I am saying!

*hugs*

Sarah
    edited June 2013
    What makes a good Fleet in this game?

Is it the T5 starbases? Can a T5 starbase give you what you need in a fleet?

Numbers? Can a 500 man fleet do it?

What about Divisions? Surely having a fleet that segregates its fleet can, right?

Well, if your answer is yes to any of these, keep walking, thats right, you won't like us, cause we honestly don't care how big our SB is, how many people we have, or about seperating into little bitty groups, cause were all family here, and that is what is important to us.

Some have called it the club house, others the tree house, some family, some friends, but when it comes down to it thats what matters to us most, the firends we make, and the family we gain.

SSO is about leaving all the petty dictator TRIBBLE out of our house, we don't have ranks, we don't have divisions, and we don't tell you the player what to do with your time in game, cause this game is about one thing, fun, fun on your own, fun in a group, fun against the game, fun against all comers.

We here at SSO have a dream, a dream of no borders or bounderies for our players, no giant rule book, and no five page essay to gain entry, we care about one thing, you, the player, having fun.

So cheers and good luck if this doesn't sound like your cup of tea, or coke, or whatever it is you drink, I'll be in the tree house, cooking tribble and drinking blue ale.

Loki
    edited June 2013
    What promises have you heard before?

Have you heard that the fleet your signing up for is a laid back no reqs community only to find out they are full of drama and if you don't log in twice a month you get kicked?

Have you been promised a hassle free no pressure community only to be placed in a position where you must deal with D baggers and so much TRIBBLE you just don't feel like logging on anymore?

Well if that kind of thing is for you you probably won't like it here, cause we don't promise stuff that we can't follow through with, we don't have a fleet filled with drama and D baggery, we don't have must do's or have to's.

Thats SSO, a requirement free community where one thing is important, FUN, Its the SSO way......

See you out there and cheers!

Loki
    edited June 2013
    What is SSO all about you aske?

We are about family, friendship, brotherhood, sisterhood, all bound together in a friendly laid back community that cares about one thing, FUN!

Fun for the player, fun for the community, with no hidden rules or agenda's we tell it straight and have a good member count to prove it.

We don't rely on silly fleet numbers or SB advertising to get members, cause we are looking for a certain kind of member. We don't have ranks here, or split our people into divisions. We don't tell you what to do or how to do it, we ask only two things of our members, have fun and enjoy yourself.

Rules? We do have one rule, don't be a D-bag to fellow fleet members, period.

When looking for a fun laid back fleet you have one awesome option right here, cause at SSO we make it so!

See you out there!

Loki
    edited June 2013
    As with every other post I ask the question, what kind of a fleet are you, the player, looking for?

Are you looking for a fleet that makes you confirm your identity in twenty different ways before they let you threw their hallowed halls?

Are you looking for a fleet that has twenty different ranks to climb through, a power base you will never be a part of while choices that effect your game time and what you can do or say are made behind your back?

Well, if the answer to any of that is yes, we are not the fleet for you, too bad.

SSO was started with one goal in mind, to bring friends and community back into a fleet where it belongs! Not this crazed need for ranks and split divisions. Not a community so tight up the back side that a ensign can't go to the toilet without asking his CO's permission, who is probably some 12 year old kid getting yelled at by his mom to take out the trash while he tries to tell you what to do!

SSO threw the rule book out, we don't have any ranks, divisions, squads, long lists of rules that only do one thing, take away from the fun and enjoyment of the game.

At SSO we make it so by not being D-bags and not being so stuck up our own imaginary world that we forget whats important, fun, and our members actually having it.

www.ssofleet.com Tell'em Loki sent you.
    edited June 2013
    Well I can tell you now SSO is going great guns, not only in our first 6 weeks have we got a lot of new members, our mumble is buzzing and quite a few of you will have seen us grouped in Fleet Actions and STF's

We are now a gnats whisker from tier two of our starbase, as well as because of our love and affinity for RP we also thanks to the man from Dillithium, we also have all the pertinent special asthetic projects on our star base as well.

We have a good amount of provisions which is available to all our fleet members, regardless of wether you have donated or not. We are just not that type of fleet....

However what I wanted to chat to you about today was our RP. We have a long running bridge event on a Federation Starbase that we have been running for over 18 months now, in fact we are coming up to nearly two years and we have another doozie of a project in the works too.

Now you would think, hell, they must be hard core, but after reading some of the restrictions on the other RP fleets I can tell you we are NOT...

Want to RP your character how YOU want....we actively encourage this, it's our job to find ways to fit YOU in not make a regimented storyline and mould you to fit US!!!

Want to play a charcater that other RP's won't, like a Borg, or a horror upon horror, AI, hell YES!!!, we do not hinder creativity we embrace it...
    We never will and never have put requirements on fun, people are people end of, nor are we so close minded to think that just because it hasn't been seen before it can't be done.

Oh my Lord no, give us a challenge, a chance to stretch our wings creatively, as a GM we are meant to respond to curve ball, not control our players so much that we don't get one...

And here is the big one with SSO, we see outside the box, everything other RP fleets claim that can't be done, shouldn't be done, or they flat out refuse to accept we HAVE done, incorporated, made work and not only that made people laugh, and on occassion shed tears while doing so.

We are a a fleet that say in an imaginative world....ANYTHING is possible, the only thing that restrains us is the limits of yours and our imagination.

Want RP that is rigidly scripted, can't think out the box, or forbids you from playing certain characters, then we are not for you...

We use Cannon as a guide not the absolute, times change, technology changes, no world is static and sadly for us Gene Rodenberry's world is at this time, however we move on.

We take the ideals, the foundations, the dream that he concieved and we build on it, with love, creativity and passion...and heaps and heaps of fun...

Want to see the future of Role Play.....

It's here in SSO, we make everything so....
    edited June 2013
    War......is that all thats left, all there is. Battles rage between races, ancient feuds clash again and again. Always Starfleet Academy is ready with the hopeful and courageous willing to throw their beings, their very lives into this struggle... Is that all their is, this heaving war machine that belches the grit and smoke of countless struggles and seems to feed on the blood of our loved ones. Yet every way of life, every universe is not always one thing. Our world is no exception their is a very dark underbelly of the beast....

There is another battle raging, for supremacy, where powerful corporations who do not see honour, victory or anything other than profit in war, a way to pad their bottom line. Who regardless of politics or allegiance will stop at nothing so this state continues, who will deal with their very enemies to further their own agendas. In the shadows, back door dealings, black market enhancements and illegal goods trade hands at lighting speeds, all greasing the wheels of this great beast in one way or another...

Is the federation all their is, or is their a bigger picture....watch for the lights, the ghost lights...
    edited June 2013
    Rules, Borders, Limits, are just a few of the things we have talked throwing out the window here at SSO, but what does that really mean?

It means that you as the player define your experience here, we don't limit you with rules 1. 1A 1B..........why would we ever limit your creativity as a player? We wouldn't, nor would we limit what you can do in this fleet by tacking on a rank next to your name and telling you what you need to show us, forget that, we need to show YOU why your experience in this fleet will be better than in others, that simple.

You don't come here to run through a list of things YOU must do, we are here to provide two things, a fun environment, and place of fellowship, its that simple.

So the name of the game is fun, fun for you, fun for the community, and what a community is supposed to be about.

At SSO we make it so in every way we offer, and we follow through with that pledge.

Check us out at www.ssofleet.com, tell'em Loki sent ya!
  • naboo448naboo448 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll be attempting to join asap, I have a ton of questions, but you guys do seem like the exact fit I'm looking for.
    Oh and I'll be under icemann448
    edited June 2013
    Hey There Naboo!

I personally activated your account this morning for you, if you would like to send a PM to Sarah on the boards with your character name and handle, I'll get an ivite out to you, as well as updating your forum permissions...

Yes it really is that simple. We don't make it a chore to join, however all we ask is that you seek us out...thats all..

We don't ever random invite people on ESD, or do ingame adverts as that to us seems to deafet the purpose of someone looking for a fleet they like, and feel would be a good fit...

Hope to see you soon!

*hugs*

Sarah
    edited June 2013
    Do you know it's very hard to write a good doff guide when you can't get in game...

Not bitter or anything *shrug*, just ya know saying :P
    edited June 2013
    A quick plug to keep our thread going.
    Everything we say we are, we are. There are no mind games or drama in this group.
    Give us a shout in game and you can easily take our fleet for a test drive.
    After all is said and done, if we seem like the fleet for you, you're welcomed into the fold.
    Give us a shot, and you won't be disappointed.
    edited June 2013
    What does SSO have to offer its members?

We have a strong community of gamers that respect each other and enjoy the laid back environment that SSO offers.

We enjoy RP, STF's, PVE, PVP, and breaking open new ways to play STO each and every day.

We don't employ ranks and useless dribble because we believe that this community is about just that, community, not enforcing a list of rules a mile long.

Some people will tell you that these rules are there to "Provide structure", to "Maintain Order", when in reality the entire point is to maintain their own power base because thats the way "they" like it.

There is no power base here, there is no useless ladder to climb where the big dogs in the end keep all their useless little power, cause at SSO this community is truely about one thing, you, the player.

Don't believe me, say it can't be possible?

Come check us out at www.ssofleet.com , talk to our members, learn for yourself that what we are saying is truely the way it is and not some sell job.

oh, and tell'em Loki sent ya! :D
  • stangelusstangelus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I registered on the forums a week or so ago to apply, but I guess I didn't account for ye olde securitypolicy 'don't activate accounts you don't know'... :D

So I'm pre-informing you here of my interest in the fleet. Account was registered under Elexis, and I can be reached at elexis@angelus133 ingame, mostly during early evening CEST time.

Now to see if I can remember the aplication-post I had in mind. Hmm...
    edited June 2013
    Hey There Hun
    That is my fault, unfortunatley we had a spate of bots that joined and usually I can pick em out and deactivate the account.

I don't remember seeing an elexis, and we ain't got one now. However if you join again today as soon as I have got back from doing my maths and engish exams...

nah I am not young, I am doing these 20 years after being in academia, I am going back to school at 38 would ya believe :)

wish me luck, well I digress a bit, I will activate you and throw you an invite in game!!!

You don't have to write an application, just regsiter for the forums, you have given your handle here I'll activate and get you joined in...

save you mega post for an introduction, maybe with a photo, on put a face with the name post?

*hugs*

Look forward to having you Elexis

Sarah
  • stangelusstangelus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Done and done.

No worries, I know firsthand the hassle of managing a forum for a fleet/guild/group and the silly spammers. There's a post on it about the bots and the manual activation and everything, I was just too dense for it to register (c wot i did thar? :P)

Catch y'all ingame...