test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Romulan Alliances and the Romulan Republic Faction

Comments

• eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    You do realise the Romulans are blood enemies of the Klingons and have been for at least a century by now?
    Joining either side and fighting against their own is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in STO, and that's saying something.

Its not like they have never worked together before. Since, the Romulans need as much as support as they can get, so I imagine old enemies and transgressions are put aside for the time being.

It is a new faction, just that you have to chose sides in the war, too bad there isnt just a neutral choice.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cardassians in the Federation... Cardashians?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Oh how nice. What about after that? Why are we forced to pick sides?
    I DON'T WANT to be a Starfleet or KDF Romulan. I want to be a Romulan.
    I agree wholeheartedly. We already have the 'playable federation Klingon' in the Zen store, A Romulan equivalent for the KDF and FED would have been preferable to....this. This expansion is sounding more like an expansion for the KDF and FEDs than one for Romulans.

KDF and Romulans get what? Romulan Ships, playable Romulans and Klingons, etc. Romulans? We get to instigate *two* civil wars. One between the RSE and the Republic, and one between the Republic and itself. We get the privledge of contributing dilithium to Federation and Klingon Starbases, of blowing up other Romulan players in PvP at the behest of our KDF and FED overlords.

As it turns out, the whole 'Romulan faction' has been doen in the laziest, most offensive manner possible to Rommie fans. We got stuck choosing between the two biggest enemies of the Romulan Star Empire, under the banner of D'tan, a Reunificationist. The Romulans look to be nothing but Romulans in name only. I am supremely dissappointed, I don't know how Crypric could have screwed up the fundamental concept of a Romulan faction so dreadfully as they seem to have.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys know what dan will say right "Iam commited to getting the romulans to being a full fledge faction." wait.. hold up doesnt that sound familiar to anyone :P
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
    edited March 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Its not like they have never worked together before. Since, the Romulans need as much as support as they can get, so I imagine old enemies and transgressions are put aside for the time being.

It is a new faction, just that you have to chose sides in the war, too bad there isnt just a neutral choice.
    Putting aside old enemies etc I can see fine and dandy for threats like the Dominion or the Borg, but we are talking about the Romulan Republic fighting *itself* for brownie points with the Klingons and Federation. It's ludicrous.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Cardassians in the Federation... Cardashians?

OMG They're actually already here!!! :eek: :eek:

*Runs around the room in panic waving his hands in the air*
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys know what dan will say right "Iam commited to getting the romulans to being a full fledge faction." wait.. hold up doesnt that sound familiar to anyone :P

No, now he's saying "Hey it's just a game therefore we can do what we want."
    Yes, really.
  • cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013

At this point, I'd take what I can get. If he actually acknowledged the current b.s., and said that eventually Romulans would be an actual faction, I'd be satisfied.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As it turns out, the whole 'Romulan faction' has been doen in the laziest, most offensive manner possible to Rommie fans. We got stuck choosing between the two biggest enemies of the Romulan Star Empire, under the banner of D'tan, a Reunificationist. The Romulans look to be nothing but Romulans in name only. I am supremely dissappointed, I don't know how Crypric could have screwed up the fundamental concept of a Romulan faction so dreadfully as they seem to have.
    What I can't work out is how anyone at the Cryptic Officer would have believed the majority of us would be okay with this.

How can anyone in their right mind, anyone who is any sort of Trek fan think this was a good idea? Maybe this was the problem? Maybe the staff at the Cryptic Officer aren't actually Trek fans, and don't know WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING.

I'm curious too, but would CBS not have a say in this? If no, then I think they should. If they did, then they were obviously drunk / high on crack at the time too. :rolleyes:
    What are we thinking here? 2017?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Cardashians Take Space Dock!

And finally! My first officer BOFF Lamar Odom makes sense!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    -sniff, sniff- We are not Romulans......we are pets......excuse me -grabs bucket of ben and jerrys and goes to the corner to cry-
    edited March 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    I don't want to choose either.

I fear my Romulan character will not progress beyond level 10. :rolleyes:
    You and me both. I might ignore the episodes entirely, as thrilled as I was that Denise Crosby was doing voice acting for Sela. If that is impossible to do without the 'unromulan-ness' of this faction beign shoved down my throat, than I might not even play at all. I can always just take my Fed or KDF characters and roleplay as a Romulan infiltrator, because honestly, that's closer to the true spirit of a Romulan faction than what I am hearing of the Romulan Republic so far.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    and they think we're mad about Fleets
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How can anyone in their right mind, anyone who is any sort of Trek fan think this was a good idea? Maybe this was the problem? Maybe the staff at the Cryptic Officer aren't actually Trek fans, and don't know WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING.

Your answer's right here:
    dastahl wrote:
    Star Trek Online is a video game and a product, as much as we'd like to be a TV series. So sometimes we have to make decisions that are good for the game and what we feel is best for the business.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
    edited March 2013
    What I can't work out is how anyone at the Cryptic Officer would have believed the majority of us would be okay with this.

It's becoming more clear to me that they don't really care what the players/fans think about anything that they do. There are some devs that are responsive to player feedback, and others that aren't. Guess which type Cryptic is.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What are we thinking here? 2017?

Oh common flash, your being abit generous now on that.. :P

Have to remember theres zen store items to bring out, some ships for the romulans, again zen store there, lobi based romulan ships and items, maybe the odd mission here and there for romulans then a surprise in the next few years of a "New Playable Faction.. ahem".
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Putting aside old enemies etc I can see fine and dandy for threats like the Dominion or the Borg, but we are talking about the Romulan Republic fighting *itself* for brownie points with the Klingons and Federation. It's ludicrous.

Since, the Romulan Republic and Romulan space is pretty disorganized I imagine they should be looking for some help. Hopefully, the story for the Romulans is about the transformation from Empire into Republic with the bringing of peace and order back into Romulan space. I would want the new baddies to be the Romulan's endgame and we see various mini-factions fighting against the new Republic for power in Romulan space.

The Romulans helped the Duras faction during the Klingon Civil War and also the UFP would send aid whether the Romulans wanted it or not.

For players from a warrior faction, they tend to whine alot.
    edited March 2013
    Your answer's right here:
    If that is what they feel is best for the game, then they're in deeper water than they realize.
    cuzecoze wrote: »
    It's becoming more clear to me that they don't really care what the players/fans think about anything that they do. There are some devs that are responsive to player feedback, and others that aren't. Guess which type Cryptic is.
    I'm going to take a guess and say the former. ;)
    Oh common flash, your being abit generous now on that..
    My apologies. :P
    Have to remember theres zen store items to bring out, some ships for the romulans, again zen store there, lobi based romulan ships and items, maybe the odd mission here and there for romulans then a surprise in the next few years of a "New Playable Faction.. ahem".
    Yeah, that new playable faction will be the Romul... oh wait! ;)

They can also whistle if they think they're getting any rom-zen purchases out of me. Not like this they ain't.
  • anshraanshra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Guys need to remember there is a TON of stuff in this game that is designed as "Either or". Designed to "check" what faction you are, before placing you in, or giving you, whatever it was you tried to do.

Console Boxes (from lock boxes, the cross faction ones)
    Bridge Officers
    Duty Officers
    Certain Lockbox ships (Temporal Vessel)
    Fleet queues
    PVP Queues
    sure there is more I forget

What would be better (IMO), is for it to be its own thing, but technically "Side" with the KDF. Share their queues, their box options, their PVP "Side" etc. it would go a long way to balancing out the faction imbalance.

If its not enforced, at least make it desirable to do so, a bonus of somekind to choose to side with the KDF, rather than the FED. Otherwise, that faction imbalance, its only going to get worse.

I say this as someone who has 25 character slots (4 open for roms) and only 2 klingon characters. The KDF simply need more men, and using the Romulans to flesh that out, whilst keeping them " A Separate Romulan Faction" is a good way to go.
    - Into the jaws of hell.
    edited March 2013
    They can also whistle if they think they're getting any rom-zen purchases out of me. Not like this they ain't.

Mmm, same, I was going to save my monthly stipend and even started putting a little aside from each payday and was planning on blowing at least $100 on stuff like doff packs and slots to beef up my Romulan...not going to happen now.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i see it clearly now:

we create a new Romulan unficationist toon (we all hate unificationists, but we RP that we infiltrate them). fine.

we get our missions in tents, feeding epohhs, getting lovely instructions from the heroic FED and KDF officers, which are "repairing" our equipment and repelling insects, one at the time, to get marks for our torpedos, which we surely have plenty of.

then, we slip into a coma, join FED/KDF, and they are both stupid enough to trust us and invite us to their homes (as we only have the green green grass and deep, moisty caves of New Romulus to sleep in/on)

they even offer us their ships and technology, cause of our lovely uniforms. We give them nothing in return, apart from grinding Dillithium for their bases and some pets for their embassy. We could perhaps vacuum there from time to time.

then, we are going to murder old friends and family from our home - "the tent city", because we can (Obama) and also in the name of the "reunification" and "honor"

after a year or so, if DStahl sleeps well, and we buy enough Zen Store ships, we are going to stop smoking that stuff and finally start to work on our own starbase. Yay!

Also, we are going to RETURN all the technology we have had access to, without protest and we aren't going to keep a bit of intelligence we gained in the times of "brotherhood with the enemy"

what a bright future!

too bad im not drunk already, opening the second beer right now

Q'apla!
  • anshraanshra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Guys need to remember there is a TON of stuff in this game that is designed as "Either or". Designed to "check" what faction you are, before placing you in, or giving you, whatever it was you tried to do.

Console Boxes (from lock boxes, the cross faction ones)
    Bridge Officers
    Duty Officers
    Certain Lockbox ships (Temporal Vessel)
    Fleet queues
    PVP Queues
    sure there is more I forget

What would be better (IMO), is for it to be its own thing, but technically "Side" with the KDF. Share their queues, their box options, their PVP "Side" etc. it would go a long way to balancing out the faction imbalance.

If its not enforced, at least make it desirable to do so, a bonus of somekind to choose to side with the KDF, rather than the FED. Otherwise, that faction imbalance, its only going to get worse.

I say this as someone who has 25 character slots (4 open for roms) and only 2 klingon characters. The KDF simply need more men, and using the Romulans to flesh that out, whilst keeping them " A Separate Romulan Faction" is a good way to go.
    - Into the jaws of hell.
    edited March 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Mmm, same, I was going to save my monthly stipend and even started putting a little aside from each payday and was planning on blowing at least $100 on stuff like doff packs and slots to beef up my Romulan...not going to happen now.

I was getting ready to buy a lifetime subscription during the next sale in my excitement for the Romulan faction. Bag that idea now that there really is none.
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    i see it clearly now:

we create a new Romulan unficationist toon (we all hate unificationists, but we RP that we infiltrate them). fine.

we get our missions in tents, feeding epohhs, getting lovely instructions from the heroic FED and KDF officers, which are "repairing" our equipment and repelling insects, one at the time, to get marks for our torpedos, which we surely have plenty of.

then, we fall in coma, join FED/KDF, and they are both stupid enough to trust us and invite us to their homes (as we only have the green green grass and deep caves of New Romulus to sleep in/on)

they even offer us their ships and technology, cause of our lovely uniforms. We give them nothing in return, apart from grinding Dillithium for their bases and some pets for their embassy. We could perhaps vacuum there from time to time.

then, we are going to murder old friends and family from our home - "the tent city", because we can (Obama) and also in the name of the "reunification" and "honor"

after a year or so, if DStahl sleeps well, and we buy enough Zen Store ships, we are going to stop smoking that stuff and finally start to work on our own starbase. Yay!

Also, we are going to RETURN all the technology we have had access to, without protest and we aren't going to keep a bit of intelligence we gained in the times of "brotherhood with the enemy"

what a bright future!

too bad im not drunk already, opening the second beer right now

And after all that it's going to take ages chasing Saurians from my Warbird's airducts isn't it.
    You know how it is once they get in and reproduce you'll never get them out quickly.
    edited March 2013
    I was getting ready to buy a lifetime subscription during the next sale in my excitement for the Romulan faction. Bag that idea now that there really is none.
    Same here, hell I had even thought about buying one in May when the Romulans were released, but no, not now.
    edited March 2013
    -dangles wallet in front of Cryptic- You want this don't you, yes you do, yes you do. -throws wallet in fire- Well to bad, you are a bad Cryptic, BAD! Now go to the corner and think about what you have done.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013

+1 to this

as i've said before, going to throw that money on something else. perhaps a couple of diesel jeans and a 7 days vacation in egypt with some "pharaoh ale".

or i could just start a new account and double login with my current main to play through the episodes to see the content, cause the next friday we'll be getting an intel that D'Tan's Romulans forgot how to push the cloak button!
  • wardmattwardmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    -dangles wallet in front of Cryptic- You want this don't you, yes you do, yes you do. -throws wallet in fire- Well to bad, you are a bad Cryptic, BAD! Now go to the corner and think about what you have done.

Ouch.

The sad thing is they will still get away with it because when it comes right down to it people will still play the game. Cryptic knows this so the keep doing stuff like this.
    "We've Been Looking For The Enemy For Some Time Now. We've Finally Found Him. We're Surrounded. That Simplifies Things"
    - Lewis Burwell "chesty" Puller
    How Romulans Should Choose What Faction They Are In
    edited March 2013
    Aye, me too. My Birthday just passed last week, so I was thinking about getting myself something special.... certainly not going to be anything I buy from Cryptic now, lol.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    anshra wrote: »

So your solution to the problems facing the KDF is to smash them in with another unfinished group and hope it all magically cancels the negatives out?