Install Arc
Options

Re: Romulan Alliances and the Romulan Republic Faction

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I doubt CBS cares anything about canon. They want to milk the IP for money. If you don't believe that, you are way to naive.
    CBS does care about canon. They have vetoed many things in this game. I even remember when Cryptic showed a picture of an upcoming ship and then CBS vetoed it - Cryptic showed the pic before they had gotten CBS' final approval.

Don't fool yourself into believe that CBS doesn't take certain things very seriously - they make a LOT of money off the iconic nature of the TOS Connie. That crew is still selling novels, DVDs, and even comic books. That certainly take that seriously.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordinsane wrote: »
    You might want to consider the implications of that for the Tal Shiar and Romulans-as-inherently-authoritarian. I am willing to accept Romulans seeking peace with former enemies, if the alternative is people seeking to keep the Romulans in chains in the name of 'security'.

That's what I was thinking. Too many people are obssesed with the stereotype that they wouldn't keep an open mind about it.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hi Captains,

Your feedback is important to us and is being heard. Please continue to provide it :)

pwebranflakes uses Bioware PR Catchphrase!

it's not very effective
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    so were they just being "Cryptic" about the supposed new faction?(pun intended)
    I'm all for being cryptic. But I think there's a difference between giving out 90% of the details and giving us base details. Knowing the Rom Faction was only 10 levels and then a merge would have made a big difference last Thursday - it would have cut down on thousands of speculation posts. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You know even if the starbases are not ready they could still implement the system for upgrading them, sure it would be a little weird donating to a project you cant see or go to yet, even weirder when you finally can an it comes into existence half built but that would be better then having to trudge around a Fed starbase or the gloomy Kdf bases.
  • Options
    cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    pwebranflakes uses Bioware PR Catchphrase!

it's not very effective

Yeah. I think sometimes devs think those catchphrases result in a catharsis for disgruntled players. Better than fixing the issue in their eyes, I suppose.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    You know even if the starbases are not ready they could still implement the system for upgrading them, sure it would be a little weird donating to a project you cant see or go to yet, even weirder when you finally can an it comes into existence half built but that would be better then having to trudge around a Fed starbase or the gloomy Kdf bases.
    No thank you. I still have a Fed and a KDF base to complete. I do not need my fleetmates using resources to support a non-existent Fleet too. :)
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. Too many people are obssesed with the stereotype that they wouldn't keep an open mind about it.
    Again, Romulans aren't any more authoritarian than Klingons are honorable. Would you like the KDF to be transformed into a faction comprised of the farmers from the first episode? Then at level 10 we get the choice of defecting to the Romulans or the Ferengi? Keep an open mind about it. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Again, Romulans aren't any more authoritarian than Klingons are honorable. Would you like the KDF to be transformed into a faction comprised of the farmers from the first episode? Then at level 10 we get the choice of defecting to the Romulans or the Ferengi? Keep an open mind about it. :)

Yeah, and have your Klingon ships crewed by Ferengi doffs, built at Ferengi starbases and following Ferengi orders that further the cause and increase the power of the Ferengi Alliance.
    I'm sure the KDF would be all over that!
  • Options
    wardmattwardmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hi Captains,

As a friendly reminder to what I posted several pages back, threads that discuss, provide feedback, etc., with the Romulan Republic faction and the alliance are being moved to this thread. This is to keep feedback in one place so it's easier for the Daniel and the devs to read. It also allows the forum to stay clean and other conversations on topics not relating to this one to continue.

Your feedback is important to us and is being heard. Please continue to provide it :)

Thanks for understanding.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The problem It has very little feedback and mostly whining and complaining. you should seperate the feedback into two post one for obvious trolls and complainers and one for suggestions and actual feedback.
    "We've Been Looking For The Enemy For Some Time Now. We've Finally Found Him. We're Surrounded. That Simplifies Things"
    - Lewis Burwell "chesty" Puller
    How Romulans Should Choose What Faction They Are In
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wardmatt wrote: »
    The problem It has very little feedback and mostly whining and complaining. you should seperate the feedback into two post one for obvious trolls and complainers and one for suggestions and actual feedback.

Wait....what about the ones who are whining but offering suggestions at the same time? I can do both you know. I offer the suggestion but in a whiny sort of way.
  • Options
    ussweatherlightussweatherlight Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    Thanks for that, care to back up that statement?

Which part? The first part is from a glance at the front page of the forum since the ask cryptic came out. The second is an opinion. I don't really have to back it up.

"Second star on the right, and straight on till morning."

U.S.S. Weatherlight
  • Options
    wardmattwardmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Anyone who whines while making a suggestion is being child-like.
    the problem with on big thread is that the actual good ideas get drowned out by the trolls and whiners.

Because we all know that there are more people that whine and complain then those with good ideas.
    "We've Been Looking For The Enemy For Some Time Now. We've Finally Found Him. We're Surrounded. That Simplifies Things"
    - Lewis Burwell "chesty" Puller
    How Romulans Should Choose What Faction They Are In
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    False equivalence. We're not arguing against the problems of the alliance implementation, just against the idea of defining True Romulans as xenophobic authoritarian dicks. I have nothing against the idea of a Romulan Republic - that does not mean I'm fond of the idea of fighting other Romulan Republicans over the war of other peoples.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    wardmatt wrote: »

It's because the suggestion that would fix everything is so simple that it is frustrating to some of us that there's a need to suggest anything in the first place.

Suggestion: Make Romulans a real 3rd faction (even if it's how the KDF started out imo)

/done

For all of the TRIBBLE the Klinks have had to endure about their partial-faction stuff, at least they're a real faction instead of just a new race, WoW Panda style.
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just made a request that that they dump this whole idea of joining the feds or the klingons. For that matter having the Romulans fight each other over the RSE, by supporting the Klingons or Federation, and in fact creating a civil war. I was seriously looking forward to the Romulan faction but to me this is just more insult to the star trek fans. What they did in that new star trek movie was the worse thing ever to happen to star trek, by destroying the Romulan Homeworld. To compound the error cryptic is now going to split the Romulans in two. Geeze what did the Romulans do that was so horrible that they must be eradicated from the Star trek universe.

I just want one simple thing to play a Romulan faction, that is not bound, tied, or other wise relying on the Federation, Klingons, or any other faction. As stated it wouldn't be too difficult to set the pvp qu up for Romulans/Remans to fight against fed, or Klingon, or Romulan as just Romulans/Remans.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    gaalom wrote: »
    I just made a request that that they dump this whole idea of joining the feds or the klingons.

This is as simple as it gets. This would make Romulan players happy. I'm not really sure how many resources this would take on Cryptic's end, but I just can't envision it being an impossibility to make Romulans a real faction. I'm not sure why they're going this route tbh. :confused:
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm really excited to see Romulans comming out, been waiting for this since launch. I don't mind them joining Fed or KDF, as it is a more realistic way of doing thing to avoid long queue times. Also since the Tal Shiar faction works for the Iconians, we can't really work for them so makes sense. Anyway I said before I'll be happy with whatever gets me in a Warbird fastest, and this looks like the best way of doing it.

Keep up the great work Crypic! Very pleased with the direction STO is going! Don't let the complainers discourage you, its mostly the same kind of people that always find stuff to complain about. This expansion looks great!
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    gaalom wrote: »
    I just made a request that that they dump this whole idea of joining the feds or the klingons. For that matter having the Romulans fight each other over the RSE, by supporting the Klingons or Federation, and in fact creating a civil war. I was seriously looking forward to the Romulan faction but to me this is just more insult to the star trek fans. What they did in that new star trek movie was the worse thing ever to happen to star trek, by destroying the Romulan Homeworld. To compound the error cryptic is now going to split the Romulans in two. Geeze what did the Romulans do that was so horrible that they must be eradicated from the Star trek universe.

I just want one simple thing to play a Romulan faction, that is not bound, tied, or other wise relying on the Federation, Klingons, or any other faction. As stated it wouldn't be too difficult to set the pvp qu up for Romulans/Remans to fight against fed, or Klingon, or Romulan as just Romulans/Remans.

In a way, fate just plain hates Romulans.

They lost the original BoP model making them have to use Klingon ships.
    They turned the B'rel BoP into a Klingon ship after originally intending it to be Romulan.
    They murdered the Romulan senate.
    They blew up Romulus.
    And now, they took away all Romulan dignity in STO.

Alas, lament our Romulan brothers and sisters, for time has been cruel to them.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Where are people getting this 10 levels then merge from?

From what I read, the Romulan players will have to make a choice at level 10, that will affect fleets, queues and social areas, they will continue along a Romulan exclusive levelling path but will be able to team with their ally faction to do that factions content.
    DStahl wrote:
    One important note is that allied factions will be able to "cross-faction-team" each other?s episodes. For example, Klingon captains will be able to team up with Romulan Republic allies to fight in Romulan episodes and likewise, Romulan Republic allies may team up with their Klingon allies for Klingon episodes. These episodes will not appear in your faction?s journal, so you will not receive the faction specific personal reward for the episode, but you will receive open mission rewards such as skillpoints and energy credits if you join with a captain who does have the mission in their journal and enter the mission with them.
    DStahl wrote:
    The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more. What they don?t have are their own Starbases. There are many reasons why we?ve made this decision and here?s one of them.

During one of the episodes in the Romulan Republic storyline, the Federation and Klingon Defense Force will challenge Romulan captains to choose sides in the Federation-Klingon War. This permanent and personal choice forges a very important alliance. Once this decision is made, individual Romulan captains will gain many benefits through their alliance, all the while remaining their own independent faction. Romulans still continue their own independent mission journal and storyline after this choice, remaining neutral within the Romulan faction, but the choice has an impact on their progression towards end-game.

In many ways, Romulans will have the best of two "worlds" ? theirs and their ally?s. Not only do they have their own exclusive stories, ships, and costumes, but they gain many benefits of their ally. This includes access to a variety of their allies? ships, rewards, and hubs. While Romulans can?t wear the actual uniform of their ally, they do gain unique costume options, such as a Romulan Republic/Klingon Uniform variant, for example. So when a Romulan creates a Fleet, they are creating a Fleet that is open to Romulans of a chosen allegiance as well as members of that allegiance. Vice-a-versa, they?re also free to join existing fleets of their chosen ally.

Looks to me like they have a full story, and the choice only affects fleets, queues and social areas.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    It also has heavy implications for any future PvP revamp that's been discussed. So much for a 3-way faction war for territory etc.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »

From what I read, the Romulan players will have to make a choice at level 10, that will affect fleets, queues and social areas, they will continue along a Romulan exclusive levelling path but will be able to team with their ally faction to do that factions content.

That's what I read, too. But some people either haven't actually read what was written or are intentionally ignoring it so they have something to be righteously indignant about.

People are so eager for the Romulans, and Trek in general, to be this static thing that never changes. I hope they get that one day, and I hope they enjoy how quickly the franchise dies because of it.
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cuzecoze wrote: »
    It also has heavy implications for any future PvP revamp that's been discussed. So much for a 3-way faction war for territory etc.

Yeah its big fail in that area, but they are playing it safe and just content to keep there current player base happy. No Romulin fleets and starbases , no Green faction.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    That's what I read, too. But some people either haven't actually read what was written or are intentionally ignoring it so they have something to be righteously indignant about.

People are so eager for the Romulans, and Trek in general, to be this static thing that never changes. I hope they get that one day, and I hope they enjoy how quickly the franchise dies because of it.

Yes, everything must change.

That's why the Federation should become an oppressive hierarchy where order is imposed with an iron fist and dissenting member planets are punished by orbital bombardment.

Meanwhile, the Klingon Empire should become a peaceful alliance of equal species, all represented on the High Council led by a female Orion Chancellor.

Remember, sticking to stereotypes is bad.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    We are getting it from here:
    To answer some specific questions, Romulans will be asked to choose sides in the war by the time they are level 10. The exclusive Romulan storyline takes place in all of the new prequel episodes that have been made that will now end in and around the events that culminate in the Romulan Feature Episode series. Since we are moving around many of the levels of episodes with this expansion, we expect Romulan captains to be around level 40 when they finish their primary episodes (much like the Feds at launch). Note that for Romulans, most of the feature episode series have all been moved past this point. Thus the Devidians, Breen, and 2800 series all take place after the Romulan storyline. This also includes all of the Borg, Undine, STFS, Nukara, New Romulus and end game event content. So when we say that the alliance has an impact on end game, it is in reference to all of the level 40+ missions and end game content that exist for all factions. Instead of creating a 3rd set of queues, we're limiting it to the existing 2 sets and, at least for now, limiting Romulans to helping the Feds or KDF with their Starbase while the Feds and KDF help to build new Romulus. We will be adding more Fleet Holdings in the future and, as stated, Romulan Starbases have not been ruled out.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The only thing Im still abit foggy on with all this, and would really like some answers is, if and when your romulan gets to the point where he is being offered to ally himself/herself with the federation and or klingons, can he/she just say no, id rather not take sides, and stay out of it... or... does she/he actually have to pick one.

And to add to this is, if and when the romulans can be really.. there own faction in terms of having there own fleets starbases and what not, can that romulan leave his ally?

For me its an important thing to know because if my character is stuck for good being allied to the federation and or klingons and I cant just be "Romulan", meaning not being allied with eather these factions, id rather not make a romulan till thats resolved.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    Yes, everything must change.

That's why the Federation should become an oppressive hierarchy where order is imposed with an iron fist and dissenting member planets are punished by orbital bombardment.

Meanwhile, the Klingon Empire should become a peaceful alliance of equal species, all represented on the High Council led by a female Orion Chancellor.

Remember, sticking to stereotypes is bad.
    Well said, I don't see how many people find this concept hard to grasp. Their different cultural attributes such as the warlike, boastful and honorable warrior klingons, and the Deceitful, arrogant, and paranoid Romulans are a huge part of what makes their respective factions unique. Take that away and they lsoe that vital spark that made them interesting.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The only things Im still abit foggy on with all this, and would really like some answers is, if and when your romulan gets to the point where he is being offered to ally himself/herself with the federation and or klingons, can he/she just say no, id rather not take sides, and stay out of it... or... does she/he actually have to pick one.

Stahl said that you must pick one or the other, and you will not advance until you do.
    And to add to this is, if and when the romulans can be really.. there own faction in terms of having there own fleets starbases and what not, can that romulan leave his ally?

I can't predict the future, but I sincerely doubt that will ever happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The only thing Im still abit foggy on with all this, and would really like some answers is, if and when your romulan gets to the point where he is being offered to ally himself/herself with the federation and or klingons, can he/she just say no, id rather not take sides, and stay out of it... or... does she/he actually have to pick one.
    I assume you must take one or the other as many of your mission choices after level 10 will probably be from either the Fed or KDF Mission trees.
    That is probably years away. Any "yes" given to you today could easily be a "no" a year or two from now.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So I'm just posting this for the downtime. I have not read any of the information about that update in May, but I've been thinking about it too much.

So I was thinking... why introduce just one faction to the game? Wouldn't that eventually make it a three sided conflict? Then I got this idea out of the depths of what passes for my brain...

Maybe there's the New Romulus faction (for those who want to play the peaceful side), and then the Tal Shiar faction (for those who want to be power hungry back stabbing members of Romulan society). Their conflict would be similar to the current Federation/Klingon conflict, complete with their own story arcs. And while the New Romulus faction would join Omega Force/M.A.C.O., the Tal Shiar would create their own task force assigned the task of stealing Borg tech for their own use.

So what are your thoughts on this?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*