test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Romulan Alliances and the Romulan Republic Faction

chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I don't know if this has been mentioned but here goes.

How will a Romulan fleet be based???? A starbase like the feds and klingons have,or a base on planet???
Looking at D'tan and New romulus,it makes me think that the fleet will be planet based.
If so, that will be awesome,and a nice change to starbases.
Perhaps its wishful thinking, i don't know.
Post edited by chaz200565 on

Comments

• hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I doubt it. For one, the terminology used suggests that the new faction is not New Romulus, but an entirely new faction. The text suggests it's a revolutionary/loyalist (depending on whether you consider the Empress or the dissolved senate to be the more legitimate government) faction inside the empire, not a separatist faction outside it. So they'd still have an embassy and NR reputation and such.

Also, remember that fleet events are pretty much direct copy/paste between factions. Federation defends their starbase, Klingons defend their starbase, Romulans will defend theirs in a pretty much identical fashion.

Not only would a ground main base end up requiring more maps and preclude recycling existing fleet alert/defense/blockade missions, it would also mean that the Romulan equivalents would be ground missions. And we all know how popular those are in STO. Alternately, having the ground base and an exterior only station for the events just sounds like it's unnecessarily discontinuous.
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    I doubt it. For one, the terminology used suggests that the new faction is not New Romulus, but an entirely new faction. The text suggests it's a revolutionary/loyalist (depending on whether you consider the Empress or the dissolved senate to be the more legitimate government) faction inside the empire, not a separatist faction outside it. So they'd still have an embassy and NR reputation and such.

Also, remember that fleet events are pretty much direct copy/paste between factions. Federation defends their starbase, Klingons defend their starbase, Romulans will defend theirs in a pretty much identical fashion.

Not only would a ground main base end up requiring more maps and preclude recycling existing fleet alert/defense/blockade missions, it would also mean that the Romulan equivalents would be ground missions. And we all know how popular those are in STO.
    The Romulan Rep missions flat out say several months have passed on New Romulus. I don't see it being unlikely they could have formalized their standing and declared themselves as a new sovereign state known as the Romulan Republic.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If there is a Romulan base of operations, it will most likely be based on Narendra along with the new adventure zone.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I tend to think of New Romulus as being more like Nukara or Bajor - just a planet with non-factional mission content and not as some capital or home planet of a faction.

The "new" Romulan faction capital or home planet should be in it's own sector just as Earth and Qo'nos are.
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    If there is a Romulan base of operations, it will most likely be based on Narendra along with the new adventure zone.

Narendra is going to be another mission system so it can not serve as a base of operations for the Romulan faction.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Romulan Rep missions flat out say several months have passed on New Romulus. I don't see it being unlikely they could have formalized their standing and declared themselves as a new sovereign state known as the Romulan Republic.

Other then every other bit of information listing them as calling themselves The New Romulan Empire. yes, you are right, there is nothing to stop them from calling themselves the Romulan Republic.
    edited March 2013
    The New Romulan Empire.
    I have not heard that term. Could you point to where its specifically called out?
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Yeah, it's possible they could do it that way. But that would mean removing a goodly chunk of end game for the third faction...

edit;

Actually, on second thought, not really. Change some quest text and all of that content could be building prestige with your own people.
    edited March 2013
    Other then every other bit of information listing them as calling themselves The New Romulan Empire. yes, you are right, there is nothing to stop them from calling themselves the Romulan Republic.
    Play as a Romulan

Play as a Romulan or Reman and immerse yourself in new story-driven missions written exclusively from the Romulan Republic's point of view
    Start as any Faction

Create your first character as a member of the Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulan Republic and level your captain from 1 to 50.

What you talking bout Willis?
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    chaz200565 wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but here goes.

How will a Romulan fleet be based???? A starbase like the feds and klingons have,or a base on planet???
    Looking at D'tan and New romulus,it makes me think that the fleet will be planet based.
    If so, that will be awesome,and a nice change to starbases.
    Perhaps its wishful thinking, i don't know.

Right now who knows. I could see it as a plantary Starbase. That or the Federation gives up Starbase 123 for the Romulans to use (doesn't make sense why it's in Romulan Space in the First place).

And in another post, I was hoping Cryptic would take a different approach and have the Romulan community build the Mol'Rihan Spacedock (Romulan ESD) above Mol'Rihan as a type of community Starbase, intead of a Fleet Starbase.

Personally, still would like such a community effort to be implemented instead of more Fleet Starbases. Especially if the population dwindles like the KDF for the Romulans after 6 months.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jermbot wrote: »
    What you talking bout Willis?

currently in game the people of new romulus are part of the New Romulan Empire.

http://www.stowiki.org/New_Romulan_Empire
    edited March 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    currently in game the people of new romulus are part of the New Romulan Empire.

http://www.stowiki.org/New_Romulan_Empire
    I'm scouring all of STO-Wiki's New Romulus articles of their NPC dialogue. I'm not finding any dialogue reference to "New Romulan Empire". I'm beginning to think that was a player attribution rather than one Cryptic supports.
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, it's possible they could do it that way. But that would mean removing a goodly chunk of end game for the third faction...

edit;

Actually, on second thought, not really. Change some quest text and all of that content could be building prestige with your own people.

<the Romulan faction took a Cryptic arrow to the knee>

Yup, you were mostly correct and I was mostly wrong. :(
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It is impossible that New Romulus will be the capital of the Republic.

Now I'm the first one to say that planets are big, and there'd certainly be enough space, but the entire sector block is crawling with foreigners and not under Romulan control.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I for one hope its a completely new faction independent of Sela and of New Romulus, I personally think it's the only version that makes a lot of sense. I mean they aren't gonna cut players out of a faction, frankly I wouldn't see a playable Romulan faction that follows Sela supporting New Romulus.

Second it would make sense to have the Romulan Republic to not be on good terms with the Federation and KDF, just easier for game play to have them all enemies. Plus D'Tan wants peace, nothing says peace like rushing out and building a armada while still trying to rebuild after moving to a new planet right?

Being a separate faction just makes things so much easier and doesn't betray New Romulus at all.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    edited March 2013
    Did you mean to come off as condescending while also failing to make a single compelling argument? Ooookay, lets get this over with.
    pyryck wrote: »
    So the new Romulan faction has to tolerate the presence of any Klingon or Federation fleet or members on this "New Romulus" homeworld and coming/going as they please in the space above the planet and sector in which the planet is located?

Yes.
    So from this Romulans will not have a comparable ability to Diplomatic Immunity or Raiding Party?

This does not make sense. Just because New Romulus is available to the KDF and Federation does not mean that the New Romulans will have access to the Federation and Klingon territories immediately.
    So then the Romulans won't have a whole category of DOFF missions?

This makes even less sense. Even if you're right and New Romulus never gets a "diplomatic immunity" like reward, and there's no reason you'd be right about that. The loss of a single award is no reason to remove an entire section of DOFF missions.
    So then new low-level Romulan players will have to go somewhere else to start doing their level 1-10 or so mission content because Taw Dewa is all L50 content?

No. This game uses a technology called "instancing" which causes players to enter into private, or group exclusive, instances to do their missions. As such, more than one mission can be stacked ontop of a given quest node.
    For all of you discussing this issue:
    Might I suggest a tad bit more critical thinking while brainstorming where the new Romulan Republic homeworld/sector/starbase is located? ;)

But this we can all agree on. Yes, more critical thinking needed, faaaaarrrr more.
    edited March 2013
    <snipped>

<took a phaser shot to the knee from Cryptic>

Jermbot, my apologies, sir. I was wrong.

It seems as though Cryptic will be dropping the playable Romulan subfaction of the Fed/KDF on New Romulus at end game. :(
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Read this
    Q: (wilv) Will the new Romulan faction be an extension of the Romulans in New Romulus or will they be a separate group of Romulans?

Dstahl: Romulan captains will be playing a storyline that is a prequel to the Romulan Feature Episode Series and provides a backstory to the Romulan Republic. Romulan captains become the Romulans and Remans that establish New Romulus and discover the secrets of Mol?Rihan.

Q: (kekvin) What races (species) will be in the Romulan faction?

Dstahl: At the launch of Legacy of Romulus there will be Romulans, Remans, and Alien-Gen hybrids. Reman species are an account unlocked reward that will be added to the New Romulus Reputation or available for purchase. Alien-Gen hybrids may only be created by Subscribers or Lifetime members. In the future we will be adding more species to the Romulan faction.

Q: (midniteshadow7) Will the Romulan Faction have their own Fleet System, Starbase, and Holdings? Will there be any new Fleet Holdings?

Dstahl: This is an important question that needs a detailed answer.

The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more. What they don?t have are their own Starbases. There are many reasons why we?ve made this decision and here?s one of them.

During one of the episodes in the Romulan Republic storyline, the Federation and Klingon Defense Force will challenge Romulan captains to choose sides in the Federation-Klingon War. This permanent and personal choice forges a very important alliance. Once this decision is made, individual Romulan captains will gain many benefits through their alliance, all the while remaining their own independent faction. Romulans still continue their own independent mission journal and storyline after this choice, remaining neutral within the Romulan faction, but the choice has an impact on their progression towards end-game.

In many ways, Romulans will have the best of two "worlds" ? theirs and their ally?s. Not only do they have their own exclusive stories, ships, and costumes, but they gain many benefits of their ally. This includes access to a variety of their allies? ships, rewards, and hubs. While Romulans can?t wear the actual uniform of their ally, they do gain unique costume options, such as a Romulan Republic/Klingon Uniform variant, for example. So when a Romulan creates a Fleet, they are creating a Fleet that is open to Romulans of a chosen allegiance as well as members of that allegiance. Vice-a-versa, they?re also free to join existing fleets of their chosen ally.

Our goal is to encourage existing Fleets, many of whom have spent countless hours on their Starbases, to stay in business and welcome in New Romulans instead of splintering to go "do it all over again". We want captains to group with Fleet mates who decide to start a Romulan and entice them to ally at end game. This not only works thematically, but it also keeps the conflict focused on the Klingon/Federation War.

Now that many established Fleets are finishing their Tier 5 Starbases, we expect to see established guilds enticing all the New Romulans to join their cause in exchange for access to the best ships and gear the ally can offer. In the future, we will consider unique Romulan Starbases. For now, the New Romulans are just getting their feet on the ground and must look to the planet New Romulus as their new home and rely on the Starbases of their ally for support.

Also, a new Fleet Holding is in development, but will be launching after the release of Legacy of Romulus.

Q: (stardestroyer001) What kind of adjustments will be made to the structure of PvP, as a third faction is added to the mix?

Dstahl: Since individual Romulan Republic captains will ultimately have to choose sides in the war, PvP will remain two-faction with Romulans alongside their ally. This supports our future goal of using PvP to emphasize the Federation-Klingon War and provides an interesting choice for Romulan captains and existing PvP based Fleets.

Q: (lan451) Getting queues to pop over on the KDF side can be difficult sometimes due to the lack of players. Recent queues have been cross faction to help with this. With the advent of the Romulan faction, can we expect new queue events to be cross faction?

Dstahl: While Romulan Republic captains are their own faction, they can group with allies in the Federation or Klingon Empire, thus providing more captains for all queues. With the addition of new events in Legacy of Romulus there will be more options for players of all factions and more players available to group for events in all factions.

One important note is that allied factions will be able to "cross-faction-team" each other?s episodes. For example, Klingon captains will be able to team up with Romulan Republic allies to fight in Romulan episodes and likewise, Romulan Republic allies may team up with their Klingon allies for Klingon episodes. These episodes will not appear in your faction?s journal, so you will not receive the faction specific personal reward for the episode, but you will receive open mission rewards such as skillpoints and energy credits if you join with a captain who does have the mission in their journal and enter the mission with them.

Q: (tpalelena) Will Romulans be allowed on social hubs like DS9 and New Romulus?

Dstahl: Those two hubs are currently open to all factions, including Romulans. In addition, Romulans will eventually gain access to ally-specific hubs. This includes a Transwarp power to both New Romulus as well as a Transwarp to either ESD or Qo?noS. Likewise, max-level Federation and Klingon Empire players will gain a Transwarp to New Romulus as a new Tier 1 reward for the New Romulus Reputation system.
    Live long and Prosper
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well after reading the latest Ask Cryptic I have to say, I am both excited and repulsed at the same time. I finally get my Warbird but I have to choose between siding with the UFP or the KDF. I mean there is no question about it, I am hooking up with the Klingons so we can unleash all forms of badassery on the sissy feds but still.....Bad Cryptic, BAD! -reaches for rolled up newpaper-

Seriously though it does seem interesting and I look forward to it, the only thing I am not happy about is choosing which existing group to ally with. But I can work around that, finally time to see who can drink more A Romulan or a Klingon.
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    that is such BS so we aren't even playing Romulans? We're just playing the "native auxiliaries" for the Federation and Klingon Empires? Wow.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
    edited March 2013
    Not amused, and I can't believe you're going to join the Klingons...
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • theincredible33theincredible33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thank you for allowing alliances, Cryptic. Thus was mentioned in the Ask Cryptic:
    Q: (midniteshadow7) Will the Romulan Faction have their own Fleet System, Starbase, and Holdings? Will there be any new Fleet Holdings?

Dstahl: This is an important question that needs a detailed answer.

The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more. What they don?t have are their own Starbases. There are many reasons why we?ve made this decision and here?s one of them.

During one of the episodes in the Romulan Republic storyline, the Federation and Klingon Defense Force will challenge Romulan captains to choose sides in the Federation-Klingon War. This permanent and personal choice forges a very important alliance. Once this decision is made, individual Romulan captains will gain many benefits through their alliance, all the while remaining their own independent faction. Romulans still continue their own independent mission journal and storyline after this choice, remaining neutral within the Romulan faction, but the choice has an impact on their progression towards end-game.

In many ways, Romulans will have the best of two "worlds" ? theirs and their ally?s. Not only do they have their own exclusive stories, ships, and costumes, but they gain many benefits of their ally. This includes access to a variety of their allies? ships, rewards, and hubs. While Romulans can?t wear the actual uniform of their ally, they do gain unique costume options, such as a Romulan Republic/Klingon Uniform variant, for example. So when a Romulan creates a Fleet, they are creating a Fleet that is open to Romulans of a chosen allegiance as well as members of that allegiance. Vice-a-versa, they?re also free to join existing fleets of their chosen ally.

Our goal is to encourage existing Fleets, many of whom have spent countless hours on their Starbases, to stay in business and welcome in New Romulans instead of splintering to go "do it all over again". We want captains to group with Fleet mates who decide to start a Romulan and entice them to ally at end game. This not only works thematically, but it also keeps the conflict focused on the Klingon/Federation War.

Now that many established Fleets are finishing their Tier 5 Starbases, we expect to see established guilds enticing all the New Romulans to join their cause in exchange for access to the best ships and gear the ally can offer. In the future, we will consider unique Romulan Starbases. For now, the New Romulans are just getting their feet on the ground and must look to the planet New Romulus as their new home and rely on the Starbases of their ally for support.

Also, a new Fleet Holding is in development, but will be launching after the release of Legacy of Romulus.

This is a really awesome move as I was really not wanting to have to rebuild a starbase from scratch. It just makes sense since we're playing the New Romulans and the Feds and KDF are helping us.

I'm also glad we're able to make a Romulan-only fleet but from what I read, we will have to pick what alliance that fleet will hold (KDF or Fed). That's okay with me, as I will still only allow romulans into it. I would also love to see way to join the Tal Shiar in the future, as hinted by the second to last question.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I kinda knew that this is the way it would be. A sort of half faction which you then choose fed or kdf to continue.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Klingon Romulan Alliance lives again!!!!
    GwaoHAD.png
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I kinda knew that this is the way it would be. A sort of half faction which you then choose fed or kdf to continue.

Also means they have a built in cop-out if the stable of Romulan ships (and episodes) turns out to be as hilariously thin as some suspect it will be.
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I briefly thought of this, the Pandaren thing, when I started reading that part of the Ask Cryptic but there was a lot of other good stuff said. I'm not really opposed to it, and now that it's been announced I think it really shouldn't have surprised me. I don't entirely agree with Romulan-Klingon alliances but that's just my personal preference, I think there's too much animosity; but I don't own Star Trek, and it's fair to KDF players which is important while at the same time (I hope) allowing plenty of content to play from a Romulan perspective.

I guess if you hate the Klingons less than you do the Federation then the enemy of your enemy is your friend.
  • theincredible33theincredible33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Half? Nah, they are full (minus a starbase). It says "Romulans still continue their own independent mission journal and storyline after this choice,"
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2013
    It kinda makes sense to me. At launch, the vast majority of new Romulan characters will be existing players, people with characters in the other factions and a lot of whom have gone through a LOT of work and resources to build up their starbases. Why make them go through that again to get the benefits?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Mmm, I find the majority Feds too hypocritical, always spouting the Prime Directive unless the situation benefits them. There are of course exceptions, all the well main Captains for example, but the vast majority not to my taste.

So Klingons it is.
    edited March 2013
    Because they're supposed to be their own faction.
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    It kinda makes sense to me. At launch, the vast majority of new Romulan characters will be existing players, people with characters in the other factions and a lot of whom have gone through a LOT of work and resources to build up their starbases. Why make them go through that again to get the benefits?
    edited March 2013
    Yup, I just read through the new Ask Cryptic. I have mixed feelings about it.