test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Romulan Alliances and the Romulan Republic Faction

Comments

• krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    While the alliance choice is made at level 10, Romulan-specific content does not end there per Mr. Stahl in a forum post:

"we expect Romulan captains to be around level 40 when they finish their primary episodes" like the Feds did at launch.

Go ahead and choose your potential ally -- then ignore it and just be a Romulan if you so choose.

Until your qeue for defend the starbase pops and you are rolling deep with the Klingon fleet
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    how about giving Romulans their fleets and making all PVE content cross faction?

thus = one queue?

Sounds too much like hard work.
    So let's just make the Romulans jump the shark instead.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Femulans?!? :P:D:P

I'm looking forward to the Fedassians or Cardfedians, Galor is a Galor & Garak rulz! :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why the pathetic and completely transparent spin, Cryptic?

It's not a 3rd faction. Were the Pandas from the WoW xpac a 3rd faction? No. They're just a new race that then just allies itself with one of two existing factions. Same as here. :mad:
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    krovan wrote: »
    Until your qeue for defend the starbase pops and you are rolling deep with the Klingon fleet

-looks around- HELP I AM SURROUNDED BY KLINKS......oh, wait.....that's right.....they are my friends now, okay everyone power down the weapons.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    I would be right there with you....but I want my Warbird, so I am going Klingon, the lesser of two evils.
    Hopefully (come season 9) we'll have the option to defect to an actual Romulan Fleet.
    wardmatt wrote: »
    If I recall correctly that anyone from the Neutral Zone was seen as up to no good. By both sides.
    TRIBBLE on my parade why don't you? :P
    captsol wrote: »
    Don't forget the huge mixed crew of DOFFs on your ship.
    lizwei wrote: »
    Oh yeah I can't wait for the Romulan captains to get their Fed/KDF DOFF crews doing missions like "Send diplomatic mission to Benzar" or "Allow crewmember to restore sibling's honour." Because the Romulans were well known for their honest diplomacy and blood honour rituals, right?
    If I remember righly, Duty Officers are given to us at level 7, so we should have our own, unique duty officer system with our new Federation or Klingon toons.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cuzecoze wrote: »
    Why the pathetic and completely transparent spin, Cryptic?

It's not a 3rd faction. Were the Pandas from the WoW xpac a 3rd faction? No. They're just a new race that then just allies itself with one of two existing factions. Same as here. :mad:

I started a whole topic on this point earlier, but the slammed it in here, I feel so violated.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh how nice. What about after that? Why are we forced to pick sides?
    I DON'T WANT to be a Starfleet or KDF Romulan. I want to be a Romulan.

just wondering

suppose we make a fleet now. full of Romulan only toons.

then, in a year or 2, after releasing Ferengi, cardassians, whatever faction.. they decide to give us Romulan fleet holdings.

do they expect us to ABANDON the Romulan fleet and start a new one?

Really?
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    -looks around- HELP I AM SURROUNDED BY KLINKS......oh, wait.....that's right.....they are my friends now, okay everyone power down the weapons.

I want to play a Romulan surrounded by Ambassador class ships. "Hmm, this is...strangely ironic." :D
    edited March 2013
    Horrible decision by Cryptic imo. I would have rather had a more half-assed faction that was an actual faction than this, nothing more than a new race added to 2 existing factions.
    edited March 2013
    flash525 wrote: »

If I remember righly, Duty Officers are given to us at level 7, so we should have our own, unique duty officer system with our new Federation or Klingon toons.

it's 11 now (tribble notes)
  • jaadorjaador Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm hoping they'll keep my thread unique, since it heralds the creation of a new nickname for all those blue/feddie Romulans that are going to help continue the 80% of the population.

This "compromise" that has so many people upset, is probably the best thing the devs could have done. It allows Romulans to avoid all of the problems that the KDF fell victim to. By choosing Federomulan, you are the majority. You get access to the part of the game the Devs actually work on. And you open the door for so many more C-Store perks.

This also makes me happy about the future too. Choices like Fedassians, and Jem'Hadarfleet could very well be in our future!
    Indeed. I, for one, am excited about the complete lack of change coming to the game's dynamic. Three-way pvp would have required work to implement, and giving the new Romulan characters the option to choose to play KDF, despite almost none of them having any reason to, will further cement Cryptic's assertions that there is simply not enough to gain from developing KDF content, which is really in everyone's best interests.

Great work, Cryptic! Thanks for making sure that this update has the exact level of excitement that it does!
    edited March 2013
    Horrible decision by Cryptic imo. I would have rather had a more half-assed faction that was an actual faction than this, nothing more than a new race added to 2 existing factions.

really, i would rather take a lvl 50 faction only , with fleet holdings as this nonsense hybrid
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    just wondering

then, in a year or 2, after releasing Ferengi, cardassians, whatever faction.. they decide to give us Romulan fleet holdings.

Really?

I don't know. Frankly I don't think that's ever going to happen, and Stahl is throwing out vague ifs and maybes so the people looking forward to Romulan fleets won't yell too loudly.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't know. Frankly I don't think that's ever going to happen, and Stahl is throwing out vague ifs and maybes so the people looking forward to Romulan fleets won't yell too loudly.

In other words he's being 'cryptic' about it. :cool:
  • mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    just wondering

Really?

Exactly what I was wondering? do they expect us to just up and start a REAL Romulan fleet, complete with assets when we have been working on the bastardized version we have to do with?

Honestly I would rather have no fleet or just a fleet in name with no base assets than try to make do, pretending the assets we have arnt Klingon or Federation ones.
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    just wondering

Really?

I think those races/factions would have been better choices for joining a side than Romulans, they are less defined overall, although I'd be down for a fourth dominion/cardy/whatever mixer faction!
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Personally my favorite will be the "Fedominion"

So that would make the romulans : "Fedomulans"
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh how nice. What about after that? Why are we forced to pick sides?
    I DON'T WANT to be a Starfleet or KDF Romulan. I want to be a Romulan.

Then BE one. After 40, play Romulan Foundry missions. I'm sure there will be a plethora to choose from.

They've explained why we are forced to pick sides *for now* in both the Ask Cryptic and in Mr. Stahl's forum posts. We all want what we want, but can't always get it exactly.

For me, storyline/episode content is where it's at. I don't enjoy raids or PvP. Others are just the opposite. The last few Seasons have been light on the content I prefer, but heavy for Fleets. It sounds like this expansion is going to be heavier on the content I do like, but light for others.

That's the way it works in all MMOs. There is only so much time and so many resources. Either we get nothing for extended periods of time (and cry about "content droughts"), or we get content/systems/ships/etc. in pieces and parts and whoever doesn't get the part they want laments about no real content -- including me when it sounded like true episodic content might not be added.
    edited March 2013
    Exactly what I was wondering? do they expect us to just up and start a REAL Romulan fleet, complete with assets when we have been working on the bastardized version we have to do with?

Honestly I would rather have no fleet or just a fleet in name with no base assets than try to make do, pretending the assets we have arnt Klingon or Federation ones.

I would *hope* that they would take this into account for future holdings and let us transfer XP/fleet credit when the time comes. Whether that is feasible from a game systems standpoint or not is another question.

If they can do that, then it would take some of the sting out of the situation.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The United Federomulans of Cryptic! This is exciting news! I'm getting pretty hyped up for May. I could have a Vice Admiral Romulan in a T5 Starbase flying a ticklebeam healboat like a retro Galaxy! Heck yeah!
    And this is somehow different then having a Rom made from an Alien template that is flying a Jem'Hadar Carrier for the Federation? :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited March 2013
    krovan wrote: »
    I think those races/factions would have been better choices for joining a side than Romulans, they are less defined overall, although I'd be down for a fourth dominion/cardy/whatever mixer faction!

in fact, i was hoping for a REAL 3rd faction (cause Romulans were to be the model faction).

you know, Romulans first, Cardassians second, then Ferengi, ... + some united generic refabricated Starbase design for all of us "new factions"

so that we could all join the war , everybody from his own point of view.

that way KDF, FED would stay unique, and all smaller factions would only have access to their race's tech, but we could have fleets together (could, not have to).

perhaps this idea hasn't occured to them yet.
    edited March 2013
    You guys know what'll happen right? There's all this commotion now, and it'll likely continue until May. May will come, people will start playing the new 0.5 faction and the gossip and disappointment will slowly fade away from the forums (though it'll still be there in our minds, and hearts).

Cryptic will see this as an 'everything is okay in the universe' and will then decide to work on something else (most likely a Tholian Faction that allies with the Borg, and is interested in engaging in sexual activities with the Undine) :eek:

The point? A good portion of people aren't happy with this (and that ain't just people on the forums either). The problem? People have been asking for a 3rd faction for a long time (and they give us half of one). People have been asking for the completion of a Klingon faction for a long time (it's going to be LOVELY to see just how incomplete that turns out to be).

In short, since I started playing this game, I've seen nothing but broken promises. To me, having the Romulans as the third (full) non-aligned, unique faction would have solidified the faction-based content for me. Any further races, I'd have accepted as joining one of three sides (so long as they didn't throw the Cardassian in with the Klingons).

But no, instead, we get this. We must continue, all of us, to pressure these mad men until they turn the Romulan faction AROUND and make it about THEM. The excuse of them 'building up their fleet' is just that; an excuse. We're being told that because the team weren't capable / didn't have the time to implement a fully functional fleet system. That's most likely what it comes down too.
    it's 11 now (tribble notes)
    Romulans restoring honour to their house it is then.

Epic Fail Cryptic. Just Epic.
    perhaps this idea hasn't occured to them yet.
    There's apparently a lot that hasn't occurred to them yet.
    edited March 2013

A new race with 40 levels of faction-specific content according to Dan Stahl. That's far more than the KDF has right now (hopefully addressed in May as well since they said we can level KDF from 1-50).
    edited March 2013
    A new race with 40 levels of faction-specific content according to Dan Stahl. That's far more than the KDF has right now (hopefully addressed in May as well since they said we can level KDF from 1-50).
    All things considered, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Alright you feddies. You guys wanted massproduced cloaked ships? Roll a Romulan and join up!

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
    edited March 2013

you mean rescue Azura the green one? ;)

also, after programming 40 lvls of PVE mission content - they are not able to get us a starbase/homeworld?!?

like you will get your missions in a TENT while feeding an epohh?
    edited March 2013

Yes, I know. That's what I mean. I would have rather had a neutered experience similar to what the KDFs have been putting up with, if it meant that Romulans would be a REAL faction. This is just a new race. There is no new faction.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    Alright you feddies. You guys wanted massproduced cloaked ships? Roll a Romulan and join up!
    You should not bunch us all together. I don't even use the cloak on my Defiant R. :)

And, let's be honest here, the people playing Roms would mostly have been from the Fed side, so in the grand scheme of things it would still have been Feds getting Rom cloaks. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    Femulans?!?

I'm looking forward to the Fedassians or Cardfedians, Galor is a Galor & Garak rulz!

Carfedians! I like that! It rolls off the tongue, after you've drank enough Kanar at least.
    Personally my favorite will be the "Fedominion"

So that would make the romulans : "Fedomulans"

Both of those are good. I'm willing to make Fedomulans and Federomulans interchangable in the lexicon. I can concede to the more popular choice as well.
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    And this is somehow different then having a Rom made from an Alien template that is flying a Jem'Hadar Carrier for the Federation?
    I'm still trying to figure that one out myself. Heh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]