test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Romulan Alliances and the Romulan Republic Faction

Comments

• badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2013

This is yet another example of Cryptic's biggest disconnect with their audience: They want the game to be played one way, and the audience wants to play it a different way. But they don't seem to care what the players want. It's their way or the highway.

Playing As Intended (tm). I've mentioned it before, and this is the new way of doing bidness.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    With the Romulans you had a perfect setup. The choice should not be Fed KDF but Empire or Republic. If money was a problem then do an in game option and find modders. that would free up your people for this while the modders could fix the bugs or the other way. The sad fact is the guys behind Star Trek Excalibur game our able to get better quality game. THEY TAKE THE TIME TO GET IT RIGHT. CRYPTIC LEARN.

Money wasn't a problem - the problem is that Cryptic/PWE has no intention of making this game any more than it is - a two faction shop-front for lockbox shinies and C-Store TRIBBLE.

They've consistently proven that they care little for the players they have with the 1000-day Veteran debacle, no regard for small fleets, the EDC->Omega swindle, locking content and old rewards behind poorly implemented Rep Systems and squeezing the game economy.

They've also shown zero respect for the IP in saturating the game with inappropriate ships and by rewriting Trek into something that is nothing more than a parody of the shows.

All this new 'expansion' is, is an opportunity to grab some new players off the back of the new movie - current player-base be damned.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • thepopeofbeersthepopeofbeers Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ... no regard for small fleets...

Hmmmmmm...
    Q: (azurianstar) Are you still considering scaling down Dilithium Costs or creating an alliance/co-op system to help small fleets advance their Starbases?

Dstahl: Yes, we are and plan to address small Fleet project challenges and will release more information about it closer to the May release.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Hmmmmmm...

Teflon Dan's been saying that since Fleet starbases debuted. His track record with the KDF ain't exactly stellar either - believe what you want but if he told me the sky is blue I'd have to go look out the window to check. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Maybe this will help. It's seems to be the ultimate guide to playing any Cryptic game.

http://youtu.be/fNLUlCgrVX8

Beers,

Jengoz =/

"Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Or, alternatively, they looked realistically at endgame and said, "The biggest problem we have with our endgame right now is the PVP queues and the Fleet queues for the KDF being way way too long." Adding a third faction which would also be underpopulated compared to the Feds would just make both problems worse. So, their solution was to have a complete Romulan faction, but for purposes of the PVP queues and Fleet Marks/Starbases to roll them into the two existing factions.

Its really the only thing that makes sense. This 'lazy' accusation is, frankly, pretty stupid. The amount of time it would take to reskin the Starbase projects and add a third set of PVP queues is tiny compared to the amount of time they're spending on Mission Content for Romulans in this expansion. They made a conscious decision not to exacerbate one of the game's current problems. Once they come up with solutions to the queue issue, they can always add them in later in relatively short order.

Now quit being reasonable. It has no place in a forum thread.
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    If you can share your so called "faction" missions with your "allied" players they arent faction missions.

It gives people choices as to how to play their characters, which opens up more possibilities and options for players. You can choose to help friends in other factions out with their missions or stick to your own faction's missions.

The ability to share is just that and has no bearing on whether they are "faction" missions or not.
  • alarikunalarikun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    If you can share your so called "faction" missions with your "allied" players they arent faction missions.

Can I get a quote on the fact that Romulans aren't getting many story missions? Or that they're only get Fed/Klink missions after a certain level? Because I hadn't heard of this, and I'd like to know who said this.

Seems to be what you're implying.
    Original Join Date: January 2010
    Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
    Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
    edited March 2013
    alarikun wrote: »
    Can I get a quote on the fact that Romulans aren't getting many story missions? Or that they're only get Fed/Klink missions after a certain level? Because I hadn't heard of this, and I'd like to know who said this.

Dan said the Romulans will have unique story content to get them to lvl 40 - after that they'll have (just) the Featured Episodes - same as the KDF (Feddies have more than that).

As to how many missions that actually is? Who knows? We'll find out in due course. The KDF for example currently have 9 unique missions to get them from level 20-34 with the Devidian Arc a part of that (14 missions total for 14 levels).

Ideally you'd have 0.75 to 1.0 missions per level but that would suggest a minimum of 30 unique missions for the Romulans - that just seems way out of whack with what Cryptic are capable of producing so I really don't know.

The Romulan missions to lvl 40 are exclusive to Roms, but your faction 'allies' can be invited to play them with you (sans any Rom-specific rewards).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Yes, federation has slightly more than that, I'll admit. However, the majority of the missions for fed from 45-50 are Featured Episodes.

So, I'll go as far to say that Romulans will have 5 levels less worth of missions than Federation. And I'm fine with that. They're a new faction, and I'm just impressed that we're getting 40 levels worth of unique missions.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I'd love to find that and quote for you, but the truth is I'm a bit lazy atm. :D

Well, not that they're not getting many story missions. Mr.Stahl said that (I think he posted it somewhere in the forum 'Ask Cryptic' thread). He said that the Romulans will have their prequel missions and at lvl 10 have a mission when they'll be asked to side with either KDF or Fed., but they'll have their own faction missions that can bring a Romulan char up to lvl 40. After that it's faction generic FEs/missions and content.

He also said that a Romulan char. that decided to ally with the KDF, will have the option to invite any KDF players to play the Romulan story missions together, but only the Romulan chars. will be able to recieve the faction specific rewards from finishing that mission.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    I'd love to find that and quote for you, but the truth is I'm a bit lazy atm. :D

Well, not that they're not getting many story missions. Mr.Stahl said that (I think he posted it somewhere in the forum 'Ask Cryptic' thread). He said that the Romulans will have their prequel missions and at lvl 10 have a mission when they'll be asked to side with either KDF or Fed., but they'll have their own faction missions that can bring a Romulan char up to lvl 40. After that it's faction generic FEs/missions and content.

He also said that a Romulan char. that decided to ally with the KDF, will have the option to invite any KDF players to play the Romulan story missions together, but only the Romulan chars. will be able to recieve the faction specific rewards from finishing that mission.

That sounds fine to me... I'm curious as to where the problem is seen...

I am being 100% serious here... I'm confused where the problem there is...
  • gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like that sig I just saw here. March beneath the raptors wings. With raptor xed out and Federation and KDF above the word Raptor. So true lol

To me the people accusing poster of getting way to heated to early do not know what they are talking about. It does not matter how they do it, its rather simple. We at least most star trek fans wanted to play as the Romulans as a complete faction. We get this instead, and having to rely on the Federation and Klingons sorry its not Romulan, hell its not a faction. Now that being said this I did find interesting.

"Q: (jbeecher44) At the present time it appear the Romulan faction is a republic, i.e. R.R.W. (insert ship name here). Will we be able to play as an officer in the Romulan Star Empire? If not, will we be able to join the Tal Shiar and crack down on those player attempting to join the Romulan Republic?

Dstahl: At launch, Romulan captains will be assigned the R.R.W. prefix and are intended to play as part of the Republic. Players will not be able to join the Tal Shiar or officially designate themselves as I.R.W. at launch but any more details would be spoiler material."

I am not sure what Dstahl is saying here. My better half wants to believe that with the coming series the Republic is transformed into a new Romulan star Empire. While my other half thinks perhaps he is stonewalling on this subject, because he knows what the outcry is going to be like over this. Not sure myself.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That sounds fine to me... I'm curious as to where the problem is seen...

I am being 100% serious here... I'm confused where the problem there is...

lol :D Don't ask me, I'm one of the few on this thread that doesn't see a big issue with this I guess. :)

I just wanted to clear that out for you, it sounds pretty fine to me as well. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I personally feel that creating this alliance system makes the Romulan Faction more interesting.

The reality of the Romulan situation is they are ALREADY in the middle of a civil war. Donatra, The Tal Shiar, Empress Sela and the Unification movement (Romulan Republic) are ALL at odds with each other.

We are commanders loyal to the Republic. The Unification Movement exists because of the support of outsiders such as Spock.

New Romulus is not the old empire just like the new Cardassian government is not the old Cardassian Empire.

The Romulans have had their homeworld destroyed and a bloody civil war. The Federation failed to save Romulus and the Klingons, sensing weakness, annexed some Romulan territory. Romulans NEED allies.

Personally, I will ally with the Klingons. You always know what you get with a Klingon. The Federation is two-faced. They will preach peace but there is always hidden agendas.
    edited March 2013
    Also, what people seem to be forgetting is that this 'Romulan Republic' is just a feeble construct that Cryptic made up - the only 'canon' post-Nemesis event concerning the Romulans and the Remans was the Hobus event and the destruction of their home planets (but not the empire).

The Tal'Shiar and the RSE are still very much in existence and it's specifically these Romulans - the ones of the TV shows and the movies that most Romulan fans wanted to play.

If you were a die-hard fan of the Klingons and Cryptic's premise for STO was 'oh, we made them join the Federation because it was easier that way' how happy would you be?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kyias1 wrote: »
    I personally feel that creating this alliance system makes the Romulan Faction more interesting.

The reality of the Romulan situation is they are ALREADY in the middle of a civil war. Donatra, The Tal Shiar, Empress Sela and the Unification movement (Romulan Republic) are ALL at odds with each other.

We are commanders loyal to the Republic. The Unification Movement exists because of the support of outsiders such as Spock.

New Romulus is not the old empire just like the new Cardassian government is not the old Cardassian Empire.

The Romulans have had their homeworld destroyed and a bloody civil war. The Federation failed to save Romulus and the Klingons, sensing weakness, annexed some Romulan territory. Romulans NEED allies.

Personally, I will ally with the Klingons. You always know what you get with a Klingon. The Federation is two-faced. They will preach peace but there is always hidden agendas.

so as a romulan your going to side with the Klingons that killed your own people while invading romulan territory??? I smell a traitor lol
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kyias1 wrote: »

Not really united in a Republic when you are split off into two other factions and their fleets and killing each other in their war(pvp) . They could of kept the same story and still made the Romulans a independent faction(team) of their own, but they didnt and they had their reasons not too, but calling them a faction is joke. Its race choice with their own content. It works for people that want to roll romulan alts and keep playing with their fleets in the FED or KDF "factions."
  • kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    so as a romulan your going to side with the Klingons that killed your own people while invading romulan territory??? I smell a traitor lol

You know what you get with a Klingon. You keep your autonomy and gain the service of their fleets.

The Federation is more sinister. They do not use weapons but rather ideas to attack your society. Sometimes ideas are more potent than a disruptor ever is.
  • sarovensaroven Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kadieras wrote: »
    It sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.

Completely agree. I have waited so many years to play a Romulan in a true faction and instead I'm reduced to being a Republican Romulan :eek: that now has to join either Starfleet or KDF as a "real" faction? :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kadieras wrote: »
    ^
    This Right here cuts to the point...

Definitely.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree, Rom fans are being a tad unfair here. I mean, seriously. . .for all intents and purposes, they're getting a full faction. . .minus the starbases and the 'having to choose a side' for endgame material. And they're getting it in one go. One massive expansion, boom, they're getting a lot of stuff. This is more than the KDF has ever gotten in one place, imo. The Rom fans ought to be glad the faction isn't being introduced as a small fraction of a complete faction, with Cryptic sorta half-assing the further development for the next 2 years. That's what happened with the KDF faction, and look where it's at now.

If you can't fleet or PvP with some members of your faction because of a decision made at level 10, then no, that isn't even remotely a faction.
  • radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    i still don't understand why anyone would choose kdf if there isn't lots of missions or ships.
    i am floored by this decision.

Makes about as much sense as releasing a game with a half faction and 3 years later that is all everyone is talking about but they still decide to release a whole new mmo thinking that nobody remembers.

You have to also remember that the federation faction is a catch all. Long time ST fans, new and casual are all familiar with Starfleet and the Federation, they like all the shinies. Klingons and Romulans are a different breed within the Star Trek community. The chance to RP Romulan or a Klingon supersedes the notion of hard grinding.
  • brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Make the romulans have a full faction. Sure join the fed or KDF for acess to ESD and stuff.

How to do ships?
    Yes there aren't a lot of ships, But..

at T1, you can select a Bird of Prey, Mogia, or D'deridex. At teir 2, can can upgrade ur Ship for free, increasing the stats consols and Weapons, in the way u selected. So, Say the

BOP has 2Fore 0 aft, 3 tact 0 eng 0 sci, 1 Device. and 3 Universal Ensigns.
    You can upgrade ur weapon setup, Wanna do 3 fore 0 aft or 2 fore 1 aft?
    Upgade ur Consols, pick 1 slot add 1 consol. (cap of 5)
    You get 1 device slot
    and u can pick EIther a new BOFF, OR upgrade to a LT universal.

OR you can get a new class ship, for say, 8000 dil for a new ship, and then 4000 dil per upgrade.
    And unlike other factions, have no limits to repetition of ships, I can havce 4 BOPs if I want, with all 4 bops using diferent Setups.

This would be a great way to introduce Creativity, and Unique Player Identity to STO.

PvE:
    Sure ull have to design a mission series. But come on cryptic, I have faith u can do it.

PvP:
    FvRvK anyway? FvRvK would be 3v3v3
    F/KvR classic 5v5.

Add a "Secrete romulan base" in a new sector for romulans. It would only be visiable to romulan faction members, Any other faction sees a cloaked region. Maybe even add a bunch of these cloaked bases around the world. And have a "Cloak failed" event. When a romulan base becomes visible, make it into a PvP+PvE Fleet action. Romulans defend their base, while feds/kdf attempt to destroy it.This Event lasts 15minutes. if romulans can defend for 15 minutes they are victorius, and gain a 2 hour XP boost. And they gain a Scaled very rare loot. If the federation wins, they gain acess to that starbase for 2 hours, which has very rare romulan Loot items, which deal enhanced PvP damage. (+5% Accuricy vrs players, +10% Accuricy vrs Romulans)
    This gear also comes as accx2 CritX [Rpvp]

Romulans can buy Fpvp and Kpvp gear from their homebase however.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]