test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Romulan Alliances and the Romulan Republic Faction

Comments

• jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well...that's leaving out basically all of the controversy.....

The Romulan Faction is not the Romulan Space Empire, despite said already existing in-game. Instead it is the Romulan Republic, led by D'tan. In addition to the Republic holdign few if any of the attributes beloved by many of the RSE, the player is forced to choose between the Federation and KDF at level 10, at which point they essentially become a member of that faction, being limited to their DOFFS and BOFFS and their starbases, ships, and PVP and PVE Queues. In addition, Romulan players will not have access to the RSE uniforms, or even the IRW prefix for their ships, meanwhile there are only three confirmed species (with an additional one, the Liberated borg, an obvious, but not yet confirmed choice) All but one of these options (the Romulans) are restricted, being unlocked by either the reputation system (Remans) or by having a Gold or lifetime subscription, severely limiting their options.

How's that?

Wow, so much wrong here. No, Vegeta's explanation was factual, yours seems to be half fantasy, and not the good kind of the fantasy, this is the kind of fantasy that leaves you smelling like used latex, sweat and urine.

1. They never said who would run the Romulan Republic. Currently it's ran be D'Tan, we don't know who'll be in charge after the Romulan exclusive quests and expansion in May.

2. The player is forced to choose an alliance with the Federation or Klingons yes, but that only effects PVP queu's. Which at level 10 is a bit of a waste anyway.

3. Romulan players will have their own DOFFs and be able to pick up the Doffs of their allies.

4. It has been stated that the Romulans will not have access to their ALLIES uniforms. So, they'd better be able to wear Romulan uniforms of they're going to be running around naked.

5. The IRW prefix question was deflected because the answer would be a 'spoiler.' We don't actually know what will happen but we can be sure a Romulan exclusive mission is involved.

and here are a few things that you've left out.

Romulans will have their own ship choices. Including a faction exclusive class of ships, the "Warbird" which will have temporal core powers. I don't know how that's going to be any different than a big science vessel or cruiser, but I'm anxious to find out!

Romulans will have their own uniforms. Some to be unlocked via the Z-Store, some to be unlocked through missions, some to start available for the character.

Romulans will have their own quest log and quest chains. In that same vein, Romulans will have their own story arc that explains the founding and building of new Romulus.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'll by happy with the Federation Romulans. :D
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jermbot wrote: »
    2. The player is forced to choose an alliance with the Federation or Klingons yes, but that only effects PVP queu's. Which at level 10 is a bit of a waste anyway.

This is wrong, it also determines what other Romulan players you can join a fleet with.
    edited March 2013
    We already had liberated borgs for some time.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    We already had liberated borgs for some time.

And they're fighting each other constantly.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    This is wrong, it also determines what other Romulan players you can join a fleet with.

You can join a Fed fleet if you choose the fed side, KDF if you choose a KDF...and a Romulan fleet but only for romulans like how it use to be before Starbases...just a bunch of dudes hanging out putting stuff in banks enjoying the game...before things got complicated with sinks.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Confirming gong1fu1panda's purpose is to blast out personal opinions about the direction of the game in the name of righteousness, as if they were edicts from on high.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In before the merge
    GwaoHAD.png
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We, the People, uh ... the players could take control, simply, by all agreeing to chose just one faction and one faction only.

What side would a Romulan chose, supposed he/she was forced to make such a choice. We can agree that it is much better to stay united among ourselves then to divide ourselves between two parties that are hostile and distrustful toward each other.

My stance is, because D'Tan is a diplomat, educated by Spock, to chose Federation. Obisek, the Reman, is a soldier. The Reman will side with the KDF.

That is what I am going to do, roll a Romulan, side with the FED and roll a Reman and side with the KDF.
    edited March 2013
    fovrel wrote: »
    We, the People, uh ... the players could take control, simply, by all agreeing to chose just one faction and one faction only.

What side would a Romulan chose, supposed he/she was forced to make such a choice. We can agree that it is much better to stay united among ourselves then to divide ourselves between two parties that are hostile and distrustful toward each other.

My stance is, because D'Tan is a diplomat, educated by Spock, to chose Federation. Obisek, the Reman, is a soldier. The Reman will side with the KDF.

That is what I am going to do, roll a Romulan, side with the FED and roll a Reman and side with the KDF.

You do make sense there.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jermbot wrote: »
    Wow, so much wrong here. No, Vegeta's explanation was factual, yours seems to be half fantasy, and not the good kind of the fantasy, this is the kind of fantasy that leaves you smelling like used latex, sweat and urine.

1. They never said who would run the Romulan Republic. Currently it's ran be D'Tan, we don't know who'll be in charge after the Romulan exclusive quests and expansion in May.

3. Romulan players will have their own DOFFs and be able to pick up the Doffs of their allies.

4. It has been stated that the Romulans will not have access to their ALLIES uniforms. So, they'd better be able to wear Romulan uniforms of they're going to be running around naked.

5. The IRW prefix question was deflected because the answer would be a 'spoiler.' We don't actually know what will happen but we can be sure a Romulan exclusive mission is involved.

and here are a few things that you've left out.

Romulans will have their own ship choices. Including a faction exclusive class of ships, the "Warbird" which will have temporal core powers. I don't know how that's going to be any different than a big science vessel or cruiser, but I'm anxious to find out!

Romulans will have their own uniforms. Some to be unlocked via the Z-Store, some to be unlocked through missions, some to start available for the character.

Romulans will have their own quest log and quest chains. In that same vein, Romulans will have their own story arc that explains the founding and building of new Romulus.
    Oh look, here come the personal attacks, I already knwo you don't have anything of value to contribute.

1) Considering he's in charge when level 50 Klingon and fed players meet him for the first time, it's safe to assume he is the RR leader.

2) No it does not only affect that, you obviously have not been listening. Romulans get the ships of whomever they ally with. They can only join starbases of whomever the ally with. Ditto for basically everything else that matters.

3) Romulan DOFFS are being added to existing packs and faction packs. Nothing has been said on what DOFFS they have by default, but consdiering you have to choose at level 10...yeah.

4) They have those awful winter coat jackets, and access to Uniform variants unique to whatever faction they join. So yes, they will have FED/KDF uniforms in the same manner as Naucassians have access to KDF uniforms. Ever try to put your Diplomacy Naucassian in a federation uniform? That's because the Naucassian uniform is KDF-specific. Same deal here. There are Romulan-Klingon uniforms and Fed-Rommie uniforms.

5) Wrong. Flat-Out Wrong. "Dstahl: At launch, Romulan captains will be assigned the R.R.W. prefix and are intended to play as part of the Republic. Players will not be able to join the Tal Shiar or officially designate themselves as I.R.W. at launch but any more details would be spoiler material." Taking it out of context. We are not allowed to label our ships IRW.

Crypric has mentioned that they want to add Romulan ships in lockboxes, available to all factions. Not exactly faction exclusive now, is it?

And what we have seen so far for uniforms isn't exactly inspiring.

....So? Why should I care about these Romulans? They have emntioned that the existing episodes are being made available to Romulans, so don't expect anything too unique? Perhaps we will be able help drive back the fek'hri hordes as a Romulan? That was awkward enough as an Orion or Gorn.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now we see who the true Romulans are. There are those who profess to be Romulan but fail to see the brilliance of this. The RSE will "splinter" and ally with the KDF and FED. We will work to continue to destabilize their restraint towards open war. When their weapons come full bore on each other, the RSE fleet will decloak above New Romulus. D'Tan and Obisek will die of treason. When the Federation and Empire arrive with their splintered allies, we will bring our weapons to bare and cripple their war machines. Earth and Q'onos will be vulderable. The promise to the Hedgemony of their ancestral territories will further weaken the KDF. The true might of the RSE will be revealed and they will look up from their knees at their new masters!!

LONG LIVE ROMULUS!!!!
    edited March 2013
    Oh look, here come the personal attacks, I already knwo you don't have anything of value to contribute.

Not a personal attack, I attacked your work, not your person. Given that your work is TRIBBLE poor, it's deserved.
    1) Considering he's in charge when level 50 Klingon and fed players meet him for the first time, it's safe to assume he is the RR leader.

So you assume. Thank you, now consider whether your assumption belongs in a summary of what we know.
    2) No it does not only affect that, you obviously have not been listening. Romulans get the ships of whomever they ally with. They can only join starbases of whomever the ally with. Ditto for basically everything else that matters.

And Romulans get faction exclusive ships, this is more choices, not limits. Yes, they can't build their own starbases. As for "Ditto," no, I'm sorry, there is no 'ditto for basically everything else that matters.' Don't take this as a personal attack, but that's being lazy because you can't make an argument.
    3) Romulan DOFFS are being added to existing packs and faction packs. Nothing has been said on what DOFFS they have by default, but consdiering you have to choose at level 10...yeah.

Okay fair point. But given that you're able to recruit all of your own factions DOFFs without opening a single pack, you're assuming again. Like I said, your doom-and-gloom fantasies don't belong in a summary of what we know.
    4) They have those awful winter coat jackets, and access to Uniform variants unique to whatever faction they join. So yes, they will have FED/KDF uniforms in the same manner as Naucassians have access to KDF uniforms. Ever try to put your Diplomacy Naucassian in a federation uniform? That's because the Naucassian uniform is KDF-specific. Same deal here. There are Romulan-Klingon uniforms and Fed-Rommie uniforms.

You're wrong.
    While Romulans can?t wear the actual uniform of their ally, they do gain unique costume options, such as a Romulan Republic/Klingon Uniform variant, for example.

They're not going to wear the "actual uniform of their ally" which means either this game gets rated M for Green Boobies, or they have their own uniforms.
    5) Wrong. Flat-Out Wrong. "Dstahl: At launch, Romulan captains will be assigned the R.R.W. prefix and are intended to play as part of the Republic. Players will not be able to join the Tal Shiar or officially designate themselves as I.R.W. at launch but any more details would be spoiler material." Taking it out of context. We are not allowed to label our ships IRW.

And putting it back into context we would read that quote as "We are not allowed to label our ships IRW at launch. After launch, who knows what could happen?" Since the answer to that is "not you or I" this amounts to another assumption.
    Crypric has mentioned that they want to add Romulan ships in lockboxes, available to all factions. Not exactly faction exclusive now, is it?

They haven't mentioned which types or kinds. So again, your doom-and-gloom ASSumption does not belong here.
    And what we have seen so far for uniforms isn't exactly inspiring.

Matters of personal taste also hold no relevance to what the OP was asking for.
    ....So? Why should I care about these Romulans? They have emntioned that the existing episodes are being made available to Romulans, so don't expect anything too unique? Perhaps we will be able help drive back the fek'hri hordes as a Romulan? That was awkward enough as an Orion or Gorn.

They mentioned most of the existing Featured Episodes will be made available to Romulans at about level 40. Anything before level 40 is something maybe you should be excited about.

Or maybe not, I don't care. It'll take 2 months for you to realize how badly you've misinterpreted what they've said, and by that point neither of us will remember this conversation.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Except that, from what I understand, you will not be able to start as a Reman. They're Reputation Unlocks.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited March 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    Except that, from what I understand, you will not be able to start as a Reman. They're Reputation Unlocks.

... or available for purchase. I am not sure if that is Zen Store (I suppose it is). Anyway it doesn't make sense to have it both, a reputation unlock and Zen Store purchase.

Funny situation. Roll a Romulan, level to 50, start reputation, unlock Remans. Or, buy it in the Zen store ... with Zen you bought on the exchange for dilithium, you grinded with your Romulan character while leveling. I expect the cost of a playable Reman Zen store purchase for 600 Zen, just like Caitian and Fed Klingons.

Another thing. Since Romulans have to chose a side. Will it be possible to make a new choice, to reside with the other faction. Probably not, because, well, they are game characters afterall. Hell will freeze over when they could be played with a mind of their own, a free will.
  • lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Account-wide unlocks, though, so you would seem to be able to start as a Reman if you've grinded up to whatever tier they unlock the Remans on before May 21th.
    Or purchasing them, I suppose, that's apparently also going to be an option.
  • balordezulbalordezul Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The fact about the romulan faction is still very lame I would have take a clone of the KDF over what we are getting.

Romulans still could have worked with an alliance systems set by fleets without having to join Fed or KDF.

No Romulan fleet gear is going to be lame YAY phasers for everyone!

MMOs worked before WoW and the two faction system is just the most common but the multi-faction system works just fine. Open up an alliance network that lets you to work across factions just like the old days where it was community based.

Plus I'm sorry but only a very small part of the player base even pvps we have no reason to be stuck with 2 faction system. STO is about Trek, story and pve because there is another game out there that will always do better space pvp.

I vote make Romulans a true faction and it was something I was willing to pay for as a lifetimer and someone that buys zen/spends money on the C-store I was willing to show my support. Sadly my money is there but your product is not.

Step it up cryptic, first monster play for KDF and now space pandas for Romulans.
    edited March 2013
    lordinsane wrote: »
    Account-wide unlocks, though, so you would seem to be able to start as a Reman if you've grinded up to whatever tier they unlock the Remans on before May 21th.
    Or purchasing them, I suppose, that's apparently also going to be an option.

If that is the case I have several characters at Tier V for Romulan reputation. Who is going to buy it ever in the Zen Store? Going to get Rom marks though. We must be prepared, there might be a Tier VI.
    edited March 2013
    I don't think the playable Reman option is going to be as straight-forward as we all believe it to be.
  • captrott1captrott1 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I guess a lot depends on how this selection between Alliances plays out and what purpose it serves.

For all we know, it may represent a bit of an internal struggle within the fledgling Romulan Republic. Perhaps those that side with KDF are sympathetic to the Tal'Shair still. Remember the House of Duras leads the High Council and that family has ties to the Tal'Shair.

There could be legitimate story reasons why the selection of alliances is occurring.
  • dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    my guess?
    they did want to catch the may JJ film release, but
    - weren't able to deliver a Starbase design/embassy in time
    - replenishing their resources by selling us not only Romulan ships and costumes, but also leading new people to buy the old faction ships in the Zen store (as romulans will have access to the faction ships, but not vice versa)
    - for every existing toon - a Romulan lockbox, perhaps a Suliban lockbox next
    - letting Romulans grind for a foreign fleet, then letting them grind once more in a couple of months for their own fleet holdings = also cash
    what will come next?
    june, july - debugging
    august - suliban lockbox
    september - Romulan fleet holdings incoming - brace for impact
    then, if Romulan model is a success = Cardassians in decebmer, or - ship revamp!
    - adding a warp drive slot, some universal slots, next tier of ships which will be just upgrades from the existing ones (fleet ship modules - 5EUR/ship at least)

Unfortunately I think you are right 90%
    I was thinking that probably the new movie will have a 2 faction romulan plot so in this way the game will come closer to movie that was the reason why romulans were split so new comers will be able to play the movie.We shall see in may what is the real reason why romulans were split between fed and kdf.

The 2 starbase grind it starts slowly to show it's teeth.
    In this moment many if not almost each big fleet is closing to capping number so new romulan chars will have to grind new fed/kdf starbases from zero if the actual limit will not be doubled at least.

Lockboxes are not bad itself because they mean equal chance to both factions and for the forgotten kdf faction a chance to get comparable ships to what fed buy from c-store.Actually I would love a lockbox escort *hint * as good as fleet defiant and kumari so I could use it on my kdf char
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
    edited March 2013
    Heh, I've just had a thought. Cryptic/Devs stated that they didn't want the Romulans to have their own Starbase cause everyone will be trying to get that up to speed (which will in turn take away from already running Fleets). That much I understand, and I can see exactly where they're coming from.

However, answer me this; does it not also take a fair amount of time (and resources) to level up both the Omega and Romulan Reputations? Isn't that also going to take away from already existing fleets on both FED & KDF characters?

I don't believe the Romulan Starbase Excuse they're using with us. I figure it's pure laziness on their side. Want to prove me wrong? Answer the above question.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If WOW has this setup, then it's sure all other MMOs will follow it.

In my experience no MMO company ever wants to try anything original, they just follow the same tired old formulas.

But don't feel bad, If Cryptic didn't just follow the trends, there wouldn't be Mages in STO and while I feel that would be a major improvement, there are those who's entire playstyle revolves around the cheating only a Mage gets to do.
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If that is the case I have several characters at Tier V for Romulan reputation. Who is going to buy it ever in the Zen Store? Going to get Rom marks though. We must be prepared, there might be a Tier VI.

Well, there are people who can't stand the grind-for-grind's-sake that is the rep system, like me. On the other hand, I'm not seeing the upside of signing on with the bunny-chasers just to make a new Fed or KDF alt with a green ship anyway, soo...
    SQUIRREL!
  • balordezulbalordezul Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Heh, I've just had a thought. Cryptic/Devs stated that they didn't want the Romulans to have their own Starbase cause everyone will be trying to get that up to speed (which will in turn take away from already running Fleets). That much I understand, and I can see exactly where they're coming from.

However, answer me this; does it not also take a fair amount of time (and resources) to level up both the Omega and Romulan Reputations? Isn't that also going to take away from already existing fleets on both FED & KDF characters?

I don't believe the Romulan Starbase Excuse they're using with us. I figure it's pure laziness on their side. Want to prove me wrong? Answer the above question.

I second this!
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013

you have my vote so this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I'll by happy with the Federation Romulans. :D

Yeah, but I'd put it in a different manner - I'll be happy to cooperate with Federation Captains in battles against the Tal'Shiar or Borg etc., at my own convenience, ofcourse.;)
    I actually have no problem seeing the Republic as a separate faction regardless of the starbases.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cuzecoze wrote: »
    Yes, I know. That's what I mean. I would have rather had a neutered experience similar to what the KDFs have been putting up with, if it meant that Romulans would be a REAL faction. This is just a new race. There is no new faction.

Whereas I prefer a faction with real storyline content, not just a monster play faction like the KDF currently is. I do play some KDF, but not nearly as much as Fed due to lack of episode content. Hopefully with the expansion, I'll have more incentive to play KDF.
    edited March 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    you mean rescue Azura the green one? ;)

also, after programming 40 lvls of PVE mission content - they are not able to get us a starbase/homeworld?!?

Perhaps because adding new story content does not hit the underlying game systems as much, is easier to do, and is less likely to cause major breaks in systems and gameplay mechanics?

New Romulus is the homeworld. We don't know what all will be available there from a faction standpoint. A lot of baseless (pardon the pun) assumptions are being made about the extent of the Romulan content and faction in these threads.

The fact is, we don't know enough yet to base our assumptions on, either way. While I am excited at new storyline content, I have no way of knowing what the new story is. For all I know, it will entail a lot of dailies and Adventure Zone space rabbit chasing, which would leave me disappointed as well.

That's why I am cautionously optimistic about the expansion, but not blindly passionate about it -- either pro or con. What I've seen thus far is encouraging to me, even with the limitations. It's far more than the KDF got up front, but lacking in some areas. I'm patient enough for those areas to be filled in over time.
    edited March 2013
    krovan wrote: »
    Until your qeue for defend the starbase pops and you are rolling deep with the Klingon fleet

If I choose to do it, then I will be assisting potential allies. I've no problem with that.