test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Romulan Alliances and the Romulan Republic Faction

Comments

• geoff484geoff484 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now I've been trying wrap my head around not only the Ask Cryptic itself, but the backlash that it has received regarding the Romulans being a mini-faction. Initially, I was really upset myself - I was skeptical about the announcement when the countdown was going on. I enjoyed the buildup simply because I thought the anticipation was fun, but I didn't expect anything huge. I assumed that if Romulans were going to be released, they'd be released as a playable race with some Rommie ships thrown either on the z-store or in a lock box. That idea didn't upset me because that's something I expect from Cryptic, what upset me is they released a website that shot down my negative ideas, and then when my hopes were high they shot down my high hopes.

I was surprised because the site really portrayed the Romulans as being a full blown faction and then got extraordinarily excited because I thought Cryptic was heading in a good direction and this would be just the beginning of huge, expansion-like updates. I was still skeptical about the content, but was overall shocked that it was going to actually be a full blown faction, then I read the Ask Cryptic and I've gotta say, I'm angry, I feel like a fool for betraying my initial skepticism and I think Cryptic are... Geniuses, absolute business geniuses because this was the best bait and switch I've ever experienced.

Now this isn't a defense nor an offense towards Cryptic, but with being as small of a company as they are what did everybody really expect?
    My first reaction to reading that the Rommies would just be more of a sub-faction was "why didn't Cryptic just hold off on this announcement until they could actually flesh it out as a full blown faction?" I figured that would make more sense and would prevent player backlash. Then I started thinking about my Project Management course and started looking at it in a business perspective and realized that this announcement wasn't just to get the current players excited, it was also to keep the game at least somewhat relevant in the MMO market. I think the whole purpose of these updates (seasons, ftp release, etc) is for two (probably obvious reasons):

1. To simply update the game
    2. and most importantly, have something they can show off to the public just to say "see, we're adding new things!"

I feel that a lot of products do this, not just games, but software in general. They come out with updates just to keep it relevant and that's all I think of this big update, a way to just keep the game somewhat relevant in the market.

Sure, a lot of people are mad, but I guarantee that the Devs knew we would get mad. They know it will attract more new players than it would lose old ones - That's not me waving my fist and saying "those greedy corporate TRIBBLE!" nor is this me trying to say that we shouldn't be upset because it's "just business".

I just feel that Cryptic is the K-mart of MMO developers, I know that might sound harsh but I don't think K-Mart is necessarily a bad place to shop either. This is Cryptic's version of an expansion and it's probably the best it's going to get, on the other hand, this might just be the first of big updates and they might get bigger.

This all goes back to what I was saying on the forums when the countdown was still going on - You can be excited for new things in this game, but first you need to lower your expectations, if that's something you can't do then you're just going to be in constant rage with this game.

I've been disappointed more than a few times with this game, all the way back to season 2. But for what Cryptic is I think they've done a good job and until a Star Trek MMO is created by a much larger company then I think the only things you can do is either put up or shut up.

The Trek fan in me wants full blown factions and all out content to go with it, but it's just not going to happen. I'm sure Cryptic does make a lot of money off of the z-store, dilithium, lock boxes, etc. but I don't think they make enough to put out the ideal faction that we want.

Again, I'm not saying that nobody has a right to be upset about this, I just think like my title says, there's a harsh reality that we just need to force ourselves to accept and yes, I am in that group - I still feel like a fool for falling for that trick, but that's what businesses do, especially small ones.

And you know what? AS mad as I am, I'm still going to play the game, I'm still going to play a Romulan even though I think it's stupid how it's going to be implemented, and Cryptic knows this. I'd even be willing to bet that the angriest of the angry that raged on the forums are still going to roll a Rommie.

That's my view of everything anyways.
    banner_zpsowioz7sn.jpg
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gaalom wrote: »
    "Holy TRIBBLE.. i was all gitty about a Rommy faction.. now, i plan on not partaking in this trek killing fest..

honestly.. the one, (AND I MEAN THE ONE) thing that Romulans have been known for in all of the shows and movies, is their being xenophobic, not wanting to have anything to do with anyone else, and being very very very secrative....

i understand their homeworld was destroyed.. but man.. what a change in bout half of a life time..

honestly i would have much rather waited another year or so, and gotten a propper romulan faction, rather than this watered down, wanna bee romulan faction..

there are alot of kool ideas floating around, like the wardbird class and what not, but honestly, you took one of the most interesting races in star trek, and really just did them no justice..

good luck to all who like it this way, or are willing to give it a try..

(honestly, i feel a little better now, i was wondering how i was gonna devide my time between a fed, klink and rom. but this makes it an easy, ill play my fed only now..)..

also, last i checked, romulans hated klinks.. like pretty much forever.. that kind of hatred doesnt dry up overnight.."

What this person said, and to add a klingon point of view. TNG episode Romulan needs worlfs blood to survive. Worf refuses, and lets the Romulan diea. Why does he do this? The Romulans killed his parents. It is the klingon way not to forgive or forget such things. Are you seriously going to tell me, that the Klingons would welcome Romulans? Maybe a small very small portion, but most of them would take the position of worf. Hell if the Romulans die out without support, to the klingons that more territory for their empire. So why in star trek, would the klingons give them a helping hand?

i could get on board with it if the duras family was leading the council, but they are not.. and it would cause a civil war, (which might be just what the klink faction needs right now to generate some playable content).. so its not out of the realm of possability, but honestly, in ds9, in the very last episodes, romulans and klinks relaly couldnt even be in the same room as eachother.. only 30 years have past.. there is no such thing as two races suddenly changing their minds in the span of half a life time, and going against things that have been in the very fabric of their being since the tos era.. its a far stretch, and honestly, i said it before.. its the lazy lazy way out.. its shamefull to see it..

im someone who logged in all the time, every day, spent way too much money and time and sanity.. i have pretty much everything avail. in game. from weapons, gear, to non combat pets and what not.. the last few months, i have found myself finding other games, and other interests.. i was gonna log on tonight, but decided not to, as i didnt know what i would do.. also, i watch star trek while i play, and lately, one doesnt seem to match up very well to the other.. and it disapoints me..
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, it's certainly not an accident that it's coming out around the same time as Makeb for TOR.

But anyway, the thing is, they it basically seems like they started making a full faction and just got bored and decided to roll them into the two pre-existing factions. Or maybe they just chose to go with the easiest plan to begin. Either way, like a half-finished school project, the effort just isn't there.
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lets start calling what it is a Cosmetic Fleet as they will join a ally fleet and be different in only looks.
    download.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, it's certainly not an accident that it's coming out around the same time as Makeb for TOR.
    More like, the same time as the new Star Trek movie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    geoff484 wrote: »
    on the other hand, this might just be the first of big updates and they might get bigger..
    The staff is probably the largest it's been since beta. And they still can't quite perform follow through. So I wouldn't really think that this is just the first of many BIG updates. That's not their style.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But anyway, the thing is, they it basically seems like they started making a full faction and just got bored and decided to roll them into the two pre-existing factions. Or maybe they just chose to go with the easiest plan to begin. Either way, like a half-finished school project, the effort just isn't there.

Or, alternatively, they looked realistically at endgame and said, "The biggest problem we have with our endgame right now is the PVP queues and the Fleet queues for the KDF being way way too long." Adding a third faction which would also be underpopulated compared to the Feds would just make both problems worse. So, their solution was to have a complete Romulan faction, but for purposes of the PVP queues and Fleet Marks/Starbases to roll them into the two existing factions.

Its really the only thing that makes sense. This 'lazy' accusation is, frankly, pretty stupid. The amount of time it would take to reskin the Starbase projects and add a third set of PVP queues is tiny compared to the amount of time they're spending on Mission Content for Romulans in this expansion. They made a conscious decision not to exacerbate one of the game's current problems. Once they come up with solutions to the queue issue, they can always add them in later in relatively short order.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

edited March 2013
    More like, the same time as the new Star Trek movie.

Different markets. And anyway, if they wanted to tie it into the movie, this update would've come out with the first movie, since it ties directly into the events from it. This one would've been... I don't know, "Khan's Holodeck Booty Call" or whatever.
    edited March 2013
    Or, alternatively, they looked realistically at endgame and said, "The biggest problem we have with our endgame right now is the PVP queues and the Fleet queues for the KDF being way way too long." Adding a third faction which would also be underpopulated compared to the Feds would just make both problems worse. So, their solution was to have a complete Romulan faction, but for purposes of the PVP queues and Fleet Marks/Starbases to roll them into the two existing factions.

Its really the only thing that makes sense. This 'lazy' accusation is, frankly, pretty stupid. The amount of time it would take to reskin the Starbase projects and add a third set of PVP queues is tiny compared to the amount of time they're spending on Mission Content for Romulans in this expansion. They made a conscious decision not to exacerbate one of the game's current problems. Once they come up with solutions to the queue issue, they can always add them in later in relatively short order.

Cross-faction queues? Especially for STFs. For PvP, have the Romulans fill-in for whichever side is short. Make 3-way PvP maps that allow the two outnumbered sides to ally to complete objectives. I'm sure there are other solutions.

It is NOT the only solution "that makes sense". A little creativity could've gone a long way. Instead, they just gave up... or didn't even try.
    edited March 2013
    Different markets. And anyway, if they wanted to tie it into the movie, this update would've come out with the first movie, since it ties directly into the events from it. This one would've been... I don't know, "Khan's Holodeck Booty Call" or whatever.
    Khan's not in the new movie?

Anyways, the fact that the new movie debuts in May is probably a much bigger impetus in terms of the new "expansion" and its deadline, than some other MMORPG's 10 buck mini expansion.
    A little creativity could've gone a long way. Instead, they just gave up... or didn't even try.

Even if you haven't been playing the game all that long, you must have heard some forum vets tell you what it's been like for the past three years. Big big BIG ambitions. But a whole lot of incomplete accomplishments. Just look at Diplomacy. So, I don't know, a 3/4ths finished faction seems kind of par for the course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just feel that Cryptic is the K-mart of MMO developers, I know that might sound harsh but I don't think K-Mart is necessarily a bad place to shop either. This is Cryptic's version of an expansion and it's probably the best it's going to get, on the other hand, this might just be the first of big updates and they might get bigger.

Nothing personal OP, but I couldn't get this out of my head when i read that paragraph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDm4L7gjYNs

That aside, it is a bit of harsh reality. I'm in the crowd of disappointment I suppose. On one end...having the Romulan faction is great. on the other...it does feel incomplete because of this choice that must be made.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • casiopia254casiopia254 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Actually, I know you want to believe that PVP is a big deal in this game and I know you want to think that KDF is a big deal...but their not. The problem with our endgame is not, by any means PVP lol. This game LACKS pve content..badly. the same boring, low reward STF's we have been doing for years now, with the exception of Hive, is old.

This micro faction we are getting soon is a joke..sorry that is just what I think of it. Ive started playing TOR and im liking it more and more everyday...it may just pull me away from Lockboxes Online..oops i mean Star Trek Online soon enough.
    edited March 2013
    Actually, I know you want to believe that PVP is a big deal in this game and I know you want to think that KDF is a big deal...but their not. The problem with our endgame is not, by any means PVP lol. This game LACKS pve content..badly. the same boring, low reward STF's we have been doing for years now, with the exception of Hive, is old.

This micro faction we are getting soon is a joke..sorry that is just what I think of it. Ive started playing TOR and im liking it more and more everyday...it may just pull me away from Lockboxes Online..oops i mean Star Trek Online soon enough.

TOR's f2p is far, far worse the STO, at least at this time. In fact, TOR's is probably the worst in the industry. And they have their own lockboxes.

Although I guess they at least they have the decency to not broadcast who gets what from them to the entire server.
  • casiopia254casiopia254 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    TOR's f2p is far, far worse the STO, at least at this time. In fact, TOR's is probably the worst in the industry. And they have their own lockboxes.

Although I guess they at least they have the decency to not broadcast who gets what from them to the entire server.

Yes, I am aware that their F2P model sucks..however, i am a subscriber there and I do not buy their "cartel packs" as they call them.

But their end game content is far superior. Their PVP is superior. More people play, short q times for both PVE and PVP.

I pay 14.99 per month and have access to everything. I have no need to buy anything from their Cartel Store, as I can get anything from that store on their exchange sold by other players. Nothing is bound. And there are NO P2W items in their store atm. Ive played it since launch, I left prior to the F2P conversion, but I think its gone in a good direction for subs post F2P.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm legitimately impressed at how level-headed the OP is. Bleak, certainly, but neither offensive nor butt-kissing.

We need more posters like this.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I feel the same way OP, but as annoyed as I was at myself for having a brief moment of hope that Cryptic would actually fulfill our high hopes once, I'm far more annoyed they've chosen to do a "prequel" instead of advancing the game's story!

Oh sure, some will say it'll be a great story, but how do they do a prequel of an existing unfinished arc? I think they were trying to be too clever, or rather... more unfulfilled promise.

I'd trade it all for more STFs tbh, but this "xpac" has a purpose and its not for us. Its really aimed at bringing people in, I honestly have my doubts about that but we'll see.
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Gawd, half you lot haven't even played the new patch and you are flaming it down already. Have you some how played the game via a psychic connection with one of the developers or as Dukat said to Weyoun: 'have you ever been diagnosed as an hedonic.'

Let them release the bloody thing first before attacking it. Miserable so and so's.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Having waited several times in certain KDF only PvE Queues (fleet stuff) I do can sympathise with the idea that spreading the romulan players to the two fractions might eventually help there. Just from a game mechanical standpoint I might applaud.

Now how would this turn out for real? How many romulans will ally with KDF fleets? The powergames? Probably not; chances for more items quicker are with feds. The roleplayers? Some might; but I assume most not because of that bloodfeud. The PvP only players? Does not matter for PvE contend.

I do think its very wrong to enforce which fraction they have to ally themselfs with. Let them be like mercenarys. One day here, tomorrow there. Always being there where ppl are needed till they can stand on their own. Also this would be far more consistent with how new romulus is portrayed: A friend to bouth fractions.

But then again; that all just opinion right out of my behind. Would not be the first time I'm wrong, neither will it be the last time.

About the romulans being a "mini fraction" as somebody said; I'm not convinced until it hits the test servers. It will be a bit lesser because of no own fleet contend but as of yet I think it does not deserve a "mini fraction" sticker.
  • ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There could also be another factor in play...

Just speculation -- but what if the game code is only designed around two factions?

What if adding a full-up, third faction, complete with 3-way PVP, etc, would trigger a complete rewrite of the entire code just to accomodate it?

Remember it took what...two years...for this game to get even close to release, and even then, it was unfinished....

I agree with most of what the OP said - just adding yet another factor to consider as well. If a third -- or future -- full-up faction would require a complete code rewrite...Cryptic does not have the manpower, resources, or the money to do that -- it would be more economical to design a completely new game and call it "Star Trek Online II" perhaps -- and this time start out with four or five full-up factions....Feds, KDF, Roms, Cards, and who knows...maybe Gorn (I never cared too much for having the Gorn race being KDF...)?

But that is a pipe dream...
  • goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ztempest wrote: »
    There could also be another factor in play...

Just speculation -- but what if the game code is only designed around two factions?

What if adding a full-up, third faction, complete with 3-way PVP, etc, would trigger a complete rewrite of the entire code just to accomodate it?

Isn't this what they do with every patch? Takes ages for them to fix bugs, and when they filnally release a bugfix patch....there are more bugs than before.
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree, Rom fans are being a tad unfair here. I mean, seriously. . .for all intents and purposes, they're getting a full faction. . .minus the starbases and the 'having to choose a side' for endgame material. And they're getting it in one go. One massive expansion, boom, they're getting a lot of stuff. This is more than the KDF has ever gotten in one place, imo. The Rom fans ought to be glad the faction isn't being introduced as a small fraction of a complete faction, with Cryptic sorta half-assing the further development for the next 2 years. That's what happened with the KDF faction, and look where it's at now.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The only reality I accept here is that it's new Mission Content. In a game where the fans have been screaming for new Mission Content for over a year we will be getting a new FE and an unknown number of new Romulan Missions. I don't care if it only takes me a couple of days to play through those Missions. It's new Missions! It's new adventures, new ideas, new directions. It's meaning I'm not doing the same Fed or KDF missions over and over and over and over and over and over and over, as I have for the last 3 years.

No matter how much everyone loves to bytch about everything, I can only see new Mission Content as a good thing. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd trade it all for more STFs tbh, but this "xpac" has a purpose and its not for us. Its really aimed at bringing people in, I honestly have my doubts about that but we'll see.

Considering many of the positive responses in the forums I can't say 'it's not for us' -- but following your logic I have to admit that I am darn curious as to how a newbie to STO will see the Romulans -- especially a newbie who has come to STO specifically to play Romulans .

I am saying all of the above because if we forget for a moment who these Romulans are -- they could be marketed either as TNG Romulans or the descendants of the 2009 movie Romulans .

And considering that those are the two 'major' Romulans ppl generally know -- I wonder from that perspective how STO's "Romulan Faction" will be seen by a newbie ?
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    No matter how much everyone loves to bytch about everything, I can only see new Mission Content as a good thing. :)

I agree with you, but I'd much rather have seen that effort complete the KDF (which I'm still hopeful it will) and add unique end-game content to both the Feds and the Klingons along with some new STFs and some decent new rewards.

Cryptic seem hell-bent on homogenizing the end-game to the point where it doesn't matter what faction you pick - the game-play experience and story is exactly the same (and equally nonsensical to all) - I think that's a terrible shame.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cross-faction queues? Especially for STFs. For PvP, have the Romulans fill-in for whichever side is short. Make 3-way PvP maps that allow the two outnumbered sides to ally to complete objectives. I'm sure there are other solutions.

It is NOT the only solution "that makes sense". A little creativity could've gone a long way. Instead, they just gave up... or didn't even try.

or just the good ole fashioned cryptic laziness.. they seem to try to do alot with as little as possible... they are like a car manufacturer that make a beutifull looking car, but then doesnt put carpeting on the floor, and uses milk crates as seats.. its a shame.. when they know they can make money (like andorian ships and what not) they go all out and make the perfect looking model.. but when its something that isnt as big on the c store egenda, they get very lazy and do the bare minumum...

its a shame really.. shame on the powers to be ie, cbs and originally atari.. you dont take one of the largest ip's in the world, and give the rights to a company that is the smallest, least known, and what is known of them is that marvel pulled out of their contract (which should have been an eye opener).. again, its a shame really.. a good, high quality game is there (graphics are beyond nice, customization is un parralled in the gaming industry.. however, when it comes to story they just seem to not have it in them.. when it comes to creating new content, they seem to be the slowest ones out there.. and when it comes to quality assurance (ie, bugs and whatnot) they are non existant.. i have never played a game that has had this much down time(ie, servers being juiced). and i have played alot of games.. i have never played a game that had bugs for over 2 or 3 years in the game..

ill say it now, if this game wasnt a star trek game, it would never have made it this far.. how long can cryptic and pwe ride the star trek wave before peeps finally quit...
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    The factions we see in the TV series have a wide variety of personalities, including the first Romulan we see in TOS. The Reunificationists are "real" Romulans too. They are just as canon as the villains. Just because those in power are villains does not mean the entire populace is. The stereotype has merit, but is not all encompassing.

Let's see ... Klingons have farmers ... or at least we hear that they do in TNG .
    We even interact with some Klingon farmers in the very first KDF mission in STO.

So why didn't Cryptic make KDF Klingons farmers ... and had a tale about Klingon farmers life ?
    To be honest it would have made sense -- in the STO Universe .
    Because in the STO Universe , Klingons should be farmers , Romulans should be hippies and Feds should be Bad Azz TRIBBLE's who shoot to kill any and every thing that stands in their way .
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Yeah, Makeb's coming out more than a month before LoR. :P

Don't think it's worth calling an expansion, though - more like an oversized DLC.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree, Rom fans are being a tad unfair here. I mean, seriously. . .for all intents and purposes, they're getting a full faction. . .minus the starbases and the 'having to choose a side' for endgame material. And they're getting it in one go. One massive expansion, boom, they're getting a lot of stuff. This is more than the KDF has ever gotten in one place, imo. The Rom fans ought to be glad the faction isn't being introduced as a small fraction of a complete faction, with Cryptic sorta half-assing the further development for the next 2 years. That's what happened with the KDF faction, and look where it's at now.

Here is the primary reason: "New Romulus" and the "new" Romulans suck. They're weak, patethic, simpering fools that have no relation to what makes Romulans compelling: the trickery, the plotting, the scheming. Essentially Cryptic took the Romulans to the vet and had them neutered.

And yes, I absolutely hated Season 7 and that stupid planet.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Fully agree.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now I've been trying wrap my head around not only the Ask Cryptic itself, but the backlash that it has received regarding the Romulans being a mini-faction.
    As long as Cryptic is advertising the upgrade clearly, I have absolutely no problem with it being a mini-faction. Regardless about the faction's size, I am going to thoroughly enjoy playing as a Romulan.