test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: Romulan Alliances and the Romulan Republic Faction

Comments

• abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can tell you this now, I will not be setting foot on Qo'nos or the shipyard unless absolutely necessary. If I need to get a new ship or doffs or something I will truck all the way out to DS9. At least Romulans on DS9 is at least plausible in Trek.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If that were the case however, then why does trying to arest Obisek, getting the delgates at the borg conference to agree, or promising to put a good word in for the Eugenics guy at the Federation Prsion affect the story in exactly zero way? The plot is already as homogenized and sterilized as can be...I'm not sure this may be the case, if past history is anythign to be judged by.

That's kind of what I'm saying. Your Captain's story and the little stories they throw out are all the exists. They've got some overarching story they're doing and so only little in-mission things matter. It won't matter what your Captain chooses because Cryptic is writing the story of the Romulan Republic so as far as they're concerned there's no Fed Romulan vs Klingon Romulan PvP is just there to keep players entertained and won't affect the story at all.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    vhorash85 wrote: »
    Since when are fleets and starbases a criterion for a Faction in-game?

It was obviously that the devs couldn't do everything at once.

The problem is that the way they ARE doing it precludes Romulan fleets and starbases from ever happening. Cryptic is not going to finish the Romulan faction and then undo the whole "alliance" thing. They're not going to pull Romulan characters out of Fed/KDF fleets.

Not to mention that it just wouldn't be difficult to add a Romulan component to things like Task Force Omega now.

If they don't do it now, they're not going to do it. And they're not going to do it now.
  • romulanwayromulanway Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope that TRIBBLE about alliance is 1th April joke(IT IS BAD JOKE):eek:
    LoR should to be about rebuilding Romulan Star Empire,liberating Donatra from borg collective ,confronting Sela & madness of Tal Shiar,claiming Vulcan as new romulan homeworld...
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited March 2013
    So, let me get this straight... the Romulans are soo weak.. and their numbers have fallen soo much that they are willing to side up lifelong mortal enemies and just forget the past 1000 years of war and strife, as well as throw away their culture of xenophobia, paranoia and distrust?-

As well as completely change and swap out society and even their very doctrine? Okay, if they were desperate enough to save their race and preserve their dwindling numbers to do all of this, I guess I can get on board.

BUT

If that is true, then WHY, I must ask, are they now going to war with one another after picking sides <fed or Klingon> and killing each other off if it was in fact a necessity to accomplish the opposite and in effect stay alive.. that prompted this radical change in the first place? I am very confused.

Confused Romulan- "Our race was very nearly destroyed, we need to survive, and the only way to do this is with powerful allies..... I got a great idea!... lets join a war we have no part or business in, join opposing sides and start killing one another!" "While we are at it, lets give the whole entire galaxy free access to all of our technology and very few remaining resources!!" "We can also hand out the remaining warships we have in our decimated fleet to every other big headed purple alien we can find!"

I dont know the name of whatever IDIOT Romulan leader/president/commander came up with this idea, but he needs to be fired.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adon333 wrote: »

I dont know the name of whatever IDIOT Romulan leader/president/commander came up with this idea, but he needs to be fired.

I can get behind the idea of spacing D'Tan out an airlock, perhaps then we can get a REAL Romulan in charge. Long Live Empress Sela! Long Live the RSE!
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If you don't do PVP, you are not shooting at your fellow Romulans.

Also, the Romulan storyline is the prequel to the new romulus part.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can get behind the idea of spacing D'Tan out an airlock, perhaps then we can get a REAL Romulan in charge. Long Live Empress Sela! Long Live the RSE!

can I beam him back in to only push him out again?????? if so where dose the line start?????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    in before the merge
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    If you don't do PVP, you are not shooting at your fellow Romulans.

Also, the Romulan storyline is the prequel to the new romulus part.
    Consider that we start out already fighting the rightful rulers of the RSE, and yes, we are shooting up Romulans even before we make the choice, weakening the Romulans as a cohesive group in this time of trouble. Only to divide into two lines of refugees for our two bitterest rivals so we can join their armadas and kill each other again, without even the context of helping our cause, since we will be working for the KDF/FED at that point.
    edited March 2013
    Consider that we start out already fighting the rightful rulers of the RSE, and yes, we are shooting up Romulans even before we make the choice, weakening the Romulans as a cohesive group in this time of trouble. Only to divide into two lines of refugees for our two bitterest rivals so we can join their armadas and kill each other again, without even the context of helping our cause, since we will be working for the KDF/FED at that point.

I honestly think that the Romulans joining the Federation is the most "canon friendly" option. That is what Star Trek and the Federation is all about.

The good guys win. This is a franchise that is built upon that philosophy.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited March 2013
    I honestly think that the Romulans joining the Federation is the most "canon friendly" option. That is what Star Trek and the Federation is all about.

I got to ask did you plan to play a rom as a main or a ALT for doffing to get that max quota of dill or just to play the new shiny?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited March 2013

Then consider that they never truly had the Klingons or Romulans or Cardassians join the Federation. They hinted at it pleanty, but it never happened, because a Star Trek universe where everyone lives in perfect harmony and nothing bad ever happens has zero appeal whatsoever as something to watch, only as something to be strived for. A Trek Universe where everyone is Federation is bland and flavorless.

I do agree that the Feds are the more logical choice however, considering D'Tan was put in charge. I can't imagine why he would ally with the Klingons when reunification with the Vulcans is within arms reach.
    edited March 2013
    Then consider that they never truly had the Klingons or Romulans or Cardassians join the Federation. They hinted at it pleanty, but it never happened, because a Star Trek universe where everyone lives in perfect harmony and nothing bad ever happens has zero appeal whatsoever as something to watch, only as something to be strived for. A Trek Universe where everyone is Federation is bland and flavorless.

I do agree that the Feds are the more logical choice however, considering D'Tan was put in charge. I can't imagine why he would ally with the Klingons when reunification with the Vulcans is within arms reach.

That is all true.

And I'm planning on trying it out as the new shiny.
  • verulerveruler Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's because this is something new and shiney that will throw off attention from the real problems that plague this game. This move will shut a lot of people up.

I understand your point.. I don't get it either.. But.. none the less.. I shall make one! :P LOL
    edited March 2013

don't forget to add them same very Vulcans that D'Tan cares...... so much for but them same Vulcans refused to help save Romulus but he wants his fellow romulans to be just like them...... sorry but any one still really romulan has a blade with his backs name on it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    don't forget to add them same very Vulcans that D'Tan cares...... so much for but them same Vulcans refused to help save Romulus but he wants his fellow romulans to be just like them...... sorry but any one still really romulan has a blade with his backs name on it
    Of course. I was only mentioning it because a D'tan-Fed alliance makes the most sense given he is a reunificationist. I still believe that he is a horrible choice for the head of the Romulan faction and that we would be better off with Tomalak, Sela, or any other number of Romulans in charge. We should feed him to a Horta.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I swear I won't be posting on yet another similar thread, I just had to say that I personally, find the words REAL Romulan & Sela in the same sentence extremely hillarious.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2013
    We should feed him to a Horta.

lmfao this but im more for president roslin ide to handle cylon's ......... out the air lock with him !!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    I swear I won't be posting on yet another similar thread, I just had to say that I personally, find the words REAL Romulan & Sela in the same sentence extremely hillarious.
    I judge her by her actions and personality, not what's in her blood. D'Tan may look Romulan, but it's only skin deep, he is a Vulcan at heart.

Is there any way to execute someone with Epohhs?
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »

Sela is a real Romulan , a very power hungry one. Romulans are the villains of Trek that is how they always been written. Now we have a choice to be peace-loving Vulcan wanna-bees or go against our Romulan pride and join a barbaric race that we rather shoot.
  • kal36kal36 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2013

This is the best thing I read all Night!!
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If the Romulans are the next best thing then why doesn't everyone simply make one?

Everyone of both factions can make a Romulan Toon, it will just take awhile to get them up in level.

When I complained about having to grind up my Stabase to get my Andorian Phasers back I was told that if I'm not willing to put in the effort then I shouldn't get the rewards so.....

Everyone make Romulans and enjoy having two factions ships.
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    therealted wrote: »
    What counters your interpretation is that we've heard nothing at all about KDF content, except statements about a new tutorial. An announcement about new KDF content would be a "pretty big deal," so I find the absence of such an announcement conspicuous.

Check the dev tracker. Dastahl has already commented on the fact that they are realigning the KDF mission tree to account for the new content and a new KDF adventure zone.
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sela is a real Romulan , a very power hungry one. Romulans are the villains of Trek that is how they always been written. Now we have a choice to be peace-loving Vulcan wanna-bees or go against our Romulan pride and join a barbaric race that we rather shoot.

The factions we see in the TV series have a wide variety of personalities, including the first Romulan we see in TOS. The Reunificationists are "real" Romulans too. They are just as canon as the villains. Just because those in power are villains does not mean the entire populace is. The stereotype has merit, but is not all encompassing.
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    The factions we see in the TV series have a wide variety of personalities, including the first Romulan we see in TOS. The Reunificationists are "real" Romulans too. They are just as canon as the villains. Just because those in power are villains does not mean the entire populace is. The stereotype has merit, but is not all encompassing.

Did it ever occur to you that people like the Romulans because they are the villains.
    edited March 2013
    Did it ever occur to you that people like the Romulans because they are the villains.

your talking to a fed all they see is peace and love every where soon kdf will bind back to the feds and they will deliver flowers to us romlan lapdogs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Holy TRIBBLE.. i was all gitty about a Rommy faction.. now, i plan on not partaking in this trek killing fest..

honestly.. the one, (AND I MEAN THE ONE) thing that Romulans have been known for in all of the shows and movies, is their being xenophobic, not wanting to have anything to do with anyone else, and being very very very secrative....

i understand their homeworld was destroyed.. but man.. what a change in bout half of a life time..

honestly i would have much rather waited another year or so, and gotten a propper romulan faction, rather than this watered down, wanna bee romulan faction..

there are alot of kool ideas floating around, like the wardbird class and what not, but honestly, you took one of the most interesting races in star trek, and really just did them no justice..

good luck to all who like it this way, or are willing to give it a try..

(honestly, i feel a little better now, i was wondering how i was gonna devide my time between a fed, klink and rom. but this makes it an easy, ill play my fed only now..)..

also, last i checked, romulans hated klinks.. like pretty much forever.. that kind of hatred doesnt dry up overnight..
  • gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "Holy TRIBBLE.. i was all gitty about a Rommy faction.. now, i plan on not partaking in this trek killing fest..

honestly.. the one, (AND I MEAN THE ONE) thing that Romulans have been known for in all of the shows and movies, is their being xenophobic, not wanting to have anything to do with anyone else, and being very very very secrative....

i understand their homeworld was destroyed.. but man.. what a change in bout half of a life time..

honestly i would have much rather waited another year or so, and gotten a propper romulan faction, rather than this watered down, wanna bee romulan faction..

there are alot of kool ideas floating around, like the wardbird class and what not, but honestly, you took one of the most interesting races in star trek, and really just did them no justice..

good luck to all who like it this way, or are willing to give it a try..

(honestly, i feel a little better now, i was wondering how i was gonna devide my time between a fed, klink and rom. but this makes it an easy, ill play my fed only now..)..

also, last i checked, romulans hated klinks.. like pretty much forever.. that kind of hatred doesnt dry up overnight.."

What this person said, and to add a klingon point of view. TNG episode Romulan needs worlfs blood to survive. Worf refuses, and lets the Romulan diea. Why does he do this? The Romulans killed his parents. It is the klingon way not to forgive or forget such things. Are you seriously going to tell me, that the Klingons would welcome Romulans? Maybe a small very small portion, but most of them would take the position of worf. Hell if the Romulans die out without support, to the klingons that more territory for their empire. So why in star trek, would the klingons give them a helping hand?
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If that were the case however, then why does trying to arest Obisek, getting the delgates at the borg conference to agree, or promising to put a good word in for the Eugenics guy at the Federation Prsion affect the story in exactly zero way? The plot is already as homogenized and sterilized as can be...I'm not sure this may be the case, if past history is anythign to be judged by.

well, this and the fact that the merging of the factions is the easiest way out.. think about it.. they dont have to compete with making as many romulan ships as there are klink or fed ships.. they didnt have to make a romulan starbase.. they didnt have to change pvp in any way really.. and it makes it so they only have to continue making missions for feds and klinks..

to be honest, its lazy, and im getting tired of lazy.. i have been on here as the hunter (telling cryptic why the game sucks) and as the fan boy, (helping to defend why it doesnt)..

this move furthers that the star trek ip is in the "wrong" hands.. it started as cryptic saying they wanted to make this feel as close to the tv shows and movie as possible. i remember being there at the convention when they unvieled the game.. they said it would fallow canon closer than any other game.. they said it was gonna be "the" star trek game...

this game has suffered the most from a lack of story, and what story we get looks like it was written by a kid with adhd (no offense intended). honestly, it looks like this..

your at war with the klinks, (no ending to the story line, no climax, or resolve).. leaves you wondering
    you then move to the romulans... ( again, you start fights with them, its not told why, it just happens) and there is no resolution to those story archs..

youthen go and decide you want to start messing with the cardassians.. once again, no rhime or reason, your just there being judge jury and exocutioner and once again, no real ending to make you feel like you accomplished something..

then you decide to mix it up with the borg.. and once again, for almost 3 years, we had no real meaning or resolution to said story line..

then the undine.. same as the above..
    breen make a quick entry, again, no real storyline there.. and what happens to them.. again no resolution.. sure, you beat them in finding the map and what not, but do they leave deferi space, or what.. no resolution.. which sucks.. i felt like i accomplished nothing..

sto's story line is horrific at best.. if i had written for a college project or homework, or whatnot, i would have probably recieved a failing grade..

that being said i hate to do it, but ill use wow as an example of what works..
    wrath of the lich king, it released in like 3 or 4 major releases, but you got the initial release, it had story line, then, once you had worked through that, they released more of the story line.. each time the released, you felt like you were working towards something, like you mattered, like you were accomplishing something.. then they released the final release, you kill the lich king, and boom you saved the day. all your work over a year or two finally payed off.. they then move on to another story line.. wash rinse repeat.

sto has not left me feeling like i have accomplished anything more than being a space thug.. i honestly feel as if i have made no difference in the federations affairs, i would like to see cryptic actually finsh a story arch. and i would like to see more attention to what makes star trek, star trek in the planning stages of the game.. not just whatever someone had a dream of the night before..

pretty soon we will have unicorns and rainbow bright in game.. lol..