What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy of Romulus Revealed!

Comments

• derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    neflimgray wrote: »
    Why is Tribble locked?

because one of these thursdays it will be unlocked so we can test the romulans
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    derrico1 wrote: »
    because one of these thursdays it will be unlocked so we can test the romulans

Wrong. They aren't. Wow.
    Hello Captains,

We have temporarily brought Tribble down as we prepare it to be used for testing new code. We expect Tribble to be brought back up with a new build in around one week or so from this post.

When Tribble does become available again, it will not be to test Romulan gameplay. We do have a testing plan for the content in the Legacy of Romulus expansion and will provide more updates on it as it becomes available. In the meantime, the upcoming patch notes for Tribble will include further details on what will be available for testing.
  • grazutgrazut Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nice. A bit longer than most for an xpac, but they have added tidbits of stuff along the way also. :)
  • horus1xerohorus1xero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can't wait until the Expanse comes online. I feel honored that I get to witness the first Expansion of STO. I love the Romluans.
    Khan: He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!
  • alphastrikealphastrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hope that cryptic are going to give a free character slot for the new romulan character, i have only 2 slots 1 for my fed and 1 for my kdf.
    both my characters are played the same amount, and are fully developed as far as level reputation and gear so i will not want to delete one of my existing to make space for a romulan.
    on the other hand i realy want to be able to enjoy the new content that a rom character will offer but as you have said in other posts this will all be free it will be a bit mean to make each user pay to provide a slot for a rom.
    all users new or old should have access to three free slots to start with so they can play each of the factions available.
    this will also apply to any other factions that are added in the future, each new faction added should bring one free slot for each player.
    thanks.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hope that cryptic are going to give a free character slot for the new romulan character, i have only 2 slots 1 for my fed and 1 for my kdf.
    both my characters are played the same amount, and are fully developed as far as level reputation and gear so i will not want to delete one of my existing to make space for a romulan.
    on the other hand i realy want to be able to enjoy the new content that a rom character will offer but as you have said in other posts this will all be free it will be a bit mean to make each user pay to provide a slot for a rom.
    all users new or old should have access to three free slots to start with so they can play each of the factions available.
    this will also apply to any other factions that are added in the future, each new faction added should bring one free slot for each player.
    thanks.

so its mean if a company wants to make some money?
    wtf ,this is the most f2p game .You can grind dilithium ,buy zen and then buy slots ...seems you cant do that and you also too cheap to pay for 2 character slots...
    edited March 2013
    i see so in that case why give users 2 slots to start, if the companys only intrest is to make money then why not give only one slot to start and make even more money from players who like to play each of the two existing factions.
    heck why not restrict the game even further like some other companys who will not let you progress past a certain level without paying or restict other gameplay features to paid only accounts ?

• voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    so its mean if a company wants to make some money?
    wtf ,this is the most f2p game .You can grind dilithium ,buy zen and then buy slots ...seems you cant do that and you also too cheap to pay for 2 character slots...

While I do not begrudge any company even Cryptic making money. I think you are going a little in the other direction.

The issue is Cryptic's own policy. They have stated that their F2P model is just that, free to play. They do not restrict any content behind a pay wall. The dilithium/zen conversion is irrelevant. It is a workaround and nothing more. It is a way to get all the "shinies" you want and still not HAVE to pay, it does not eliminate the pay wall.

Now if Cryptic releases the Romulan Faction without a free Romulan Faction only slot, They are going against their own standing policy, Because Romulan play would effectively be behind a pay wall. Silver players will have to work around that pay wall if they want to play 1/3 of the content of the game. That is the ONLY reason, I feel they will offer a free Romulan slot to all new and existing accounts.

This stance of mine is based solely on cryptics long held standing. As I have stated, whether they hold to this or not, has no effect on me. If they do, I effectively have a free slot I probably will not use, unless they release Sulibans or something. But as far as playing a Romulan or Hirogen within the Romulan Republic, I am covered without needing an extra slot.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Honestly for all the people who think Cryptic and PWE are so greedy...

Go play The old republic and you will see just how very much worse it could be.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I do not begrudge any company even Cryptic making money. I think you are going a little in the other direction.

The issue is Cryptic's own policy. They have stated that their F2P model is just that, free to play. They do not restrict any content behind a pay wall. The dilithium/zen conversion is irrelevant. It is a workaround and nothing more. It is a way to get all the "shinies" you want and still not HAVE to pay, it does not eliminate the pay wall.

Now if Cryptic releases the Romulan Faction without a free Romulan Faction only slot, They are going against their own standing policy, Because Romulan play would effectively be behind a pay wall. Silver players will have to work around that pay wall if they want to play 1/3 of the content of the game. That is the ONLY reason, I feel they will offer a free Romulan slot to all new and existing accounts.

This stance of mine is based solely on cryptics long held standing. As I have stated, whether they hold to this or not, has no effect on me. If they do, I effectively have a free slot I probably will not use, unless they release Sulibans or something. But as far as playing a Romulan or Hirogen within the Romulan Republic, I am covered without needing an extra slot.

You can't call 625 zen which can be acquired easily for nothing but time and effort while you actually play the game as a PAY wall. There is no mandatory exchange of real money.

Until cryptic say they are giving an extra slot or they are adjusting their current f2p model then people should be prepared. I expect they will give a free slot because the something for absolutely nothing culture will cry otherwise.
  • altai8008altai8008 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i've been wating to fly a d'deridex since...probably about 1996?
  • chellar321chellar321 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Create your first character as a member of the Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulan Republic and level your captain from 1 to 50.

Read it, starter universal character slot!
    edited March 2013

i agree with you totally, i was only making the point that if the companys only reason for bringing out this update was to make more money then i sure they would be a lot more resticted in the game as it stands like the aformentioned republic.
    but as the game is like 99.9% free to play apart from a few bells and wistles that are just tisel on the tree i cant see why they should suddenly change tack on what promises to be a very large portion of the game.
    i can understand charging for slots for players who want more then one character from maybe another race or gender from within the same faction and i can understand them charging for fancy outfits superduper ships and weapons and such like and i have no problem with that.
    i have played my kdf charecter as much as my fed and have found that i would have missed out on a lot of content had there only been only one slot to start, even within missions that are basicly the same, the kdf acts and speaks a lot differantly to the fed and i have enjoyed the alternative perspective this brings to the game.
    i know i can convert dilithium to zen within the game but this still requires someone somewhere to have paid for the zen in the first place.
    i have no grudge about converting dilithium if i suddenly think i want to buy some of the extra bank slots or new uniform or whatever as this is just what i class as vanity items and are unnecessary luxuries.
    but to make any one of the three factions dependent on buying zen or converting dilithium goes against all cryptics current philosophies.
    this is why i said i think they should give a slot free - three factions three slots is only fair.

• kortar101kortar101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yea brand new to sto but very excited about romulans
  • admiralsexyadmiralsexy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just want to applaud the DEV's for finally putting in the Romulan Faction. There is a rich source of stories that I can't wait to delve into. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Cheers
  • iticusiticus Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To me it would have been more appropriate to make a Dominion faction. The gamma Quadrant is ripe for exploration, The Dominion is said that have many different species and they are the Opposite to the Federation in philosophy. They have a very rich history and background.

The Romulans are xenophobic and only have a handful of other races... while it would be interesting, I feel this is a cop out.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Actually, I would have preferred a Dominion or Cardassian faction first.

But at the moment, I'm not really bothered who comes first anymore.

I'm so bored with doing the same old endgame grinds that any faction will be a welcome change from the monotony of Fleet Queues.

Assuming I get my Hirogen Captain that is.
    Cryptic still haven't confirmed or denied if we get to play as them for Romulan Faction.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Honestly for all the people who think Cryptic and PWE are so greedy...

Go play The old republic and you will see just how very much worse it could be.

I fully support the content of this post. :D

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    edited March 2013
    just had a sneek peek at the new look hud, awful gastly old fashioned cluncky rubbish, reminds me of the speak&spell toy my kids had back in the 80`s
    i guess if you were going for the original series look you just about nailed it.
    leave the old interface as it is its silky smooth and futeristic looking and pleasing to the eye, just what you would expect to find from the next gen and beyond.
    dont be shocked to find a lot of users gripe if you impliment this`new??` look.

• kitsunemaguskitsunemagus Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    iticus wrote: »
    To me it would have been more appropriate to make a Dominion faction. The gamma Quadrant is ripe for exploration, The Dominion is said that have many different species and they are the Opposite to the Federation in philosophy. They have a very rich history and background.

While I agree, the Dominion would have been a great faction to add for play, it is because of their diametric opposition that they are BEST utilized as adversaries at this time.
    The Romulans are xenophobic and only have a handful of other races... while it would be interesting, I feel this is a cop out.

Ummmm ..... that was the Romulan Star Empire of the series. The Romulans, both the Star Empire AND Republic, are by no means xenophobic, otherwise Sela would not have been easily (for Romulan politics) accepted as Empress being half-Romulan, the Hirogen would be little more than what the Nausicaans are to the KDF - hired thugs/second-class (or worse) citizens, and the Federation and KDF would not be allowed near Romulan space (much less a Romulan planet) without an armada of warbirds up their Aft! Canon is NOT being walked all over in this case, it is being evolved as it has been throughout the inception and growth of STO.

I, for one, cannot wait for this. To those proud sons and daughters of Romulus - Jolan tru, and happy hunting until we once again march beneath the Raptor's wings!
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013

tilarta wrote: »
    Actually, I would have preferred a Dominion or Cardassian faction first.

But at the moment, I'm not really bothered who comes first anymore.

I'm so bored with doing the same old endgame grinds that any faction will be a welcome change from the monotony of Fleet Queues.

Assuming I get my Hirogen Captain that is.
    Cryptic still haven't confirmed or denied if we get to play as them for Romulan Faction.

i would say there is a lot about the romulans that will never be known. like... going with out any contact in 50 years or so, yet still being pretty advanced. they never fell behind in their so called 'isolation'. there is nothing to say that they always used that xenophobic approach with every one. there could be a few beta quadrant or fringe delta quadrant species that the romulans really liked lol

i would love to see the cardassian and dominion factions in the game. not sure we will see them sadly. since they have used the ships in lockboxes. 1 thing they always said was they wouldn't ever put romulan ship in lockboxes as they wanted to keep them for when a romulan faction was added to the game. so i'm left wondering if it will ever happen :s would be a shame if it never dose that's for sure.

hopefully legacy of Romulus is a massive success for cryptic gaming wise and business wise. if it is then i'm sure they will work on a cardassian faction next
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The only way I can see this Pandaren angle working out is if there are factions within the New Romulans, where one is supported by the Feds and the other by the Klingons, and by choosing one of those factions one is allied to the Feds or Klingons by proxy, and it becomes a TRIBBLE for tat sort of situation.

That's not what it sounds like, though. It sounds like Romulan captains basically go "See you later ****ers" to New Romulus and join the red or blue team based on pure whim.
  • trekgate000trekgate000 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can hardly wait! Is the TOS Bird-of-Prey confirmed as a skin for the Romulan Starter/Tier 1 ship?
    4069267.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Green Lantern Vs. Orange Lantern[/SIGPIC]
    Captain Mal Jordan, Starfleet and Green Lantern Corps
    Commander Lex Luthor, KDF Science Corps
    Lt. Kal-El, RRF Science Officer
    Lt. Dark Knight, KDF Tactical Officer
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why didn't you guys come out and say it was just playable romulans for fed and kdf? why give the false misleading impression it was a faction?

Why bother with all the faction stuff at all?

This is my thinking as well. What has been explained to us is not a faction. It is more like a featured story that takes place over levels for the UFP and KDF players. :mad:
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why didn't you guys come out and say it was just playable romulans for fed and kdf? why give the false misleading impression it was a faction?

Why bother with all the faction stuff at all?

Because it is a faction. You get your own storyline missions, ships, etc. All you don't have are specific endgame content (which the others don't have either) and specific Romulan fleets (which may be coming in the future).

Romulus wasn't built in a day, guys. ;)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    @f2pdrakron - Preach on brotherman! Preach on....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Their missions are common, Fed and KDF players have access to "RR" missions, the only diference is you need someone to share the mission with you.

Share, not play it ... its just having someone share, leave group and its on your log.

Wrong. From the Ask Cryptic:

"The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more."

"Exclusive" means the missions are theirs alone. Except for the FEs, of course.
    Duty Officer system is either Fed or KDF, that is what you pick (and I suppose this extends to rewards, that means Enemy Faction BO and in Fed case, the Ambassador outfit unlock), they dont have their own.

From the Ask Cryptic:

"In addition to adding Romulan Republic Duty Officers to existing packs in the game, Romulan Republic captains will gain access to the Duty Officers packs of their chosen ally."

Unless that means RR Doffs get added to Klingon and Federation packs (which seems unlikely, albeit not impossible), RR Doffs get their own packs.
    Ships ... they have their own AND their "allied" ships, that means the Excelsior, Defiant, Vor'cha, etc ... the only LIMIT is their faction, sorry "alliance".

So they have access to another faction's ships. I don't see how that disqualifies them as a faction.
    And how you unring the bell that is faction specific uniforms? Or Zen Shop ships?

Romulans have both. From the Ask Cryptic:

"There will be ships at every level that can be gained for in game currency as well as Dilithium and C-Store ships. Captains will unlock new costumes in-game as they progress through the story as well as have premium costumes that can be purchased in the c-store."
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I can understand the need for the Romulans to be drawn in to the Fed-KDF conflict, I would have like the option to remain neutral, allied to neither side. Would have made for an interesting true sole faction. And better story line as the two side would have to work hard to entice you to their side of the fight.

UNLESS....... There is a defection system in the works.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I can understand the need for the Romulans to be drawn in to the Fed-KDF conflict, I would have like the option to remain neutral, allied to neither side. Would have made for an interesting true sole faction. And better story line as the two side would have to work hard to entice you to their side of the fight.

UNLESS....... There is a defection system in the works.

I doubt it highly it is what it is and cryptic is happy with mediocrity

They missed a real chance to make this game stand above the others

But they only did this half baked job and want everyone to be happy with it.

This was a marketing ploy plain and simple to sell keys

Make roms with species specific ships

Make rom lock boxes so everyone can have rom ships

Buy keys please is the theme.

This is the path cryptic has taken and its not about canon or happy playerbase its about the money they can fleece from the sheeple that will buy the keys.