What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Revealed!

Comments

• Options
    sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Star Trek Online?s first expansion, Legacy of Romulus, has just been revealed! Visit our overview site at www.legacyofromulus.com for full expansion details.

Are you ready to build your legacy?

This is AWESOME! More than a few of my friends and I have been looking forward to this!
    ;)

Thank You Cryptic! Especially the the Dev Team and the producers!!

Will everyone be getting an extra character slot or do we need to buy a pair in the C-Store?
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So... we had a countdown to a notice that we already new about (May Update that involved some Rommie additions). Yes, we got the confirmation that Romulan faction is going to be added, but why the meaningless countdown?

I sure hope the hype is not hollow when this updates arrives in just under two months, and that the Romulan update is complete (just like the Fed... and hopefully the KDF will be too).

Looking forward to another countdown... to something. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I did hear rumors about Cryptic saying they want to expand new Romulus in the future.

However, the RR being a 3rd faction that is benevolent to D'tan's refugees is entirely possibly.

I do doubt that the RR would be in war with D'tan on the other hand.

That would put them against KDF-Fed joint efforts, effectivly cutting them from Omega and Rom rep shinies.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    thecomputerizerthecomputerizer Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How much will it cost....I hope its on free to play.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2013

It is, Brandon's already confirmed it.
  • Options
    wanderer89wanderer89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I think we will have to operate (for now) under the assumption that LoR is indeed free to play however Cryptic needs to recoup the money its poured into the expansion and it'll likely do it by also releasing a tonne of stuff for the Romulans into the Z-Store (Liberated Romulan BO anyone?) and some TOS era Romulan ships.

On a personal point, if they ever released a TOS era Romulan costume complete with Centurion helmet I will spend as much as necessary to get it ^_^ tell me THIS doesn't look awesome
    THE ARTIST FORMALLY KNOWN AS TRYULIS
    Vice Admiral Dir Sonatra, I.R.W. Kholairlha, Scimitar Class Warbird
    Vice Admiral Oshin S'ree, USS Steamrunner, Steamrunner Class

TEN FORWARD FLEET
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wanderer89 wrote: »
    tell me THIS doesn't look awesome

what, an error message?
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    stretch84stretch84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When is this gonna hit Tribble?
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    what, an error message?
    Try this link: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/romulan_evolution.htm
    It might not work either (Ex Astris Scientia has a tendency to be overzealous with its hotlink-protection) but if it does work, it is the Romulan with helmet from The Enterprise Incident.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Main romulan story probably won't hit tribble at all, it will be the new systems and non romulan stuff ( no spoilers for you ). Oh i have to say this... i hate romulans but , evil space vampires in purple armor now that i can't wait for!
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    So... we had a countdown to a notice that we already new about (May Update that involved some Rommie additions). Yes, we got the confirmation that Romulan faction is going to be added, but why the meaningless countdown?

I sure hope the hype is not hollow when this updates arrives in just under two months, and that the Romulan update is complete (just like the Fed... and hopefully the KDF will be too).

Looking forward to another countdown... to something. :rolleyes:

Being referred to as star trek online's 1st expansion 'the legacy of Romulus' I'd say expansion is only used in mmo talk when something is actually big. Otherwise update could mean any size.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

It's confirmed as free.... However it's not certain that you will get an extra slot. So you may need to spend some zen for some slots. I think 650 for 2 slots. And 650 zen isn't hard to make without spending any real money.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    It's confirmed as free.... However it's not certain that you will get an extra slot. So you may need to spend some zen for some slots. I think 650 for 2 slots. And 650 zen isn't hard to make without spending any real money.

that would kind of contradict the game being F2P, since neither of the 2 slots silvers get are unrestricted

1 can only be used for a fed, and the other can only be used for a kdf
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    atlldrtybird2atlldrtybird2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    that would kind of contradict the game being F2P, since neither of the 2 slots silvers get are unrestricted

650 zen is pretty easily obtained through converting dilithium.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

I will assume when the expansion hits holodeck, the start as any faction part stated on the web site solves that restriction. I just think that if your f2p and you've used your slots up then maybe you will have to spend some zen. If you haven't used them all then your good to roll. But this is just speculation. I should think this question will get answered in the coming soon ask cryptic response. Personally I think if all you have to do is buy character slot for about 650 zen it's practically free. If no 1 can make enough do dilithium between now and then for enough zen then they have seriously problems playing this game. Dilithium is free and therefore so can zen.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic wants people to be able to play ALL aspects of the game free...

Therefore, it's not logical for Them to give F2P'ers a Free slot EACH for a Fed & KDF character and NOT give a Free one, for a Romulan character.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If no 1 can make enough do dilithium between now and then for enough zen then they have seriously problems playing this game. Dilithium is free and therefore so can zen.

and where would players starting the game after the expansion's release get this 'dilithium between now and then' to get the slots to roll a romulan? they can't, which means that, for those players, 1/3 of the game is stuck behind a wall

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited March 2013
    and where would players starting the game after the expansion's release get this 'dilithium between now and then' to get the slots to roll a romulan? they can't, which means that, for those players, 1/3 of the game is stuck behind a wall

If some 1 starting the game after release of this expansion that isn't aware of dilithium and zen then they would at least have the current 2 character slots. And the important part on the web site is you can start at level 1 of any of the 3 faction. So they would be able to roll a romulan straight away. Pretty simple. The wall your talking about don't exist :p
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If some 1 starting the game after release of this expansion that isn't aware of dilithium and zen then they would at least have the current 2 character slots. And the important part on the web site is you can start at level 1 of any of the 3 faction. So they would be able to roll a romulan straight away. Pretty simple. The wall your talking about don't exist :p

both of those silver slots are restricted, which i already mentioned; 1 is for fed only, and 1 is for kdf only

there's your wall; a new player can't use either slot to make a romulan, so 1/3 of the game is still locked away from them, unless they pay or grind for more slots, which goes against the entire concept of their F2P model

they would have to add a 3rd slot specifically for romulans or change the already existing 2 to allow for any faction to allow a new player the full game experience

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited March 2013
    both of those silver slots are restricted, which i already mentioned; 1 is for fed only, and 1 is for kdf only

there's your wall; a new player can't use either slot to make a romulan, so 1/3 of the game is still locked away from them, unless they pay or grind for more slots, which goes against the entire concept of their F2P model

they would have to add a 3rd slot specifically for romulans or change the already existing 2 to allow for any faction to allow a new player the full game experience

As far as f2p models go sto has 1 of the easiest for not spending a single penny it's very easy to make zen. Unless your incredibly lazy.

The web site states very clealy you can make your 1st character as any faction and you can start at level 1. No wall!

www.legacyofromulus.com
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The web site states very clealy you can make your 1st character as any faction and you can start at level 1.

which implies they either have to make a 3rd, romulan-only slot for silver players, or they have to remove the faction restrictions from the 2 they already get

either way, no new player is going to have to do anything other than install the game, launch it, and create a romulan, unlike what your first post suggested

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013

And who's to say that are going to give everyone a free Romulan Slot? Remember we know NOTHING about what is or isn't part of the expansion. But I would say based on cryptic's own admission that they do not want to hide any of their game behind a pay wall, the idea of a free romulan slot is pretty good as far as speculation goes.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    the idea of a free romulan slot is pretty good as far as speculation goes.

or the removal of faction restrictions from the 2 existing slots, which didn't occur to me until today

and that would actually probably be easier for cryptic to do, code-wise

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited March 2013
    which implies they either have to make a 3rd, romulan-only slot for silver players, or they have to remove the faction restrictions from the 2 they already get

either way, no new player is going to have to do anything other than install the game, launch it, and create a romulan, unlike what your first post suggested

Lol you just want to argue I can see. I think its pretty ovbious they going to change the restriction thats currently in place. the bit that says start your 1st character as a member of fed kdf or rr. Says it all tbh. so I've only posted facts as it stands with the information available to all. The only error in my posts was me saying 2 slots cost 650 zen actually they cost 625 zen so even easier. And can still be free if you actually play the game :p

But this something for nothing culture really takes the p!ss some times!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    or the removal of faction restrictions from the 2 existing slots, which didn't occur to me until today

and that would actually probably be easier for cryptic to do, code-wise

Meh, they add free slots all the time to the game. Vet rewards, Gold rewards. Lifer rewards. I don't think it is that difficult to tell the system that everyone now has a free Rommie slot. Plus, you are seperating the free slot from the Romulan Content, which it most likely isn't. That being said, which ever option you use the coding has to be endlessly smaller then the coding needed to actually make the faction.

Besides, I am sure whatever they are or are not going to do, has already be decided and the coding is written.
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2013
    My guess is that it will be a third free slot .If not no problem :)

If Cryptic will decide to make the 2 slots universal and not give the third free slot then I guess some game metrics related to faction percentage will change.

Many fed's will delete kdf char since they don't use it daily and many kdf will delete fed char because since it is not used then it is easier to delete rather than buy new slots
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Honestly, I don't really care. I have a Federation Alien currently masquerading as a Romulan. As soon as LoR hits, they are getting rerolled into a proper Romulan. So I am covered.

But I do understand that if Cryptic wants to maintain their "No content behind a pay wall" stance, they need to do something about the silvers.
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    START AS ANY FACTION
    Create your first character as a member of the Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulan Republic and level your captain from 1 to 50. if you read the page they made announcement then all your answers are here they plan on changing creation page from two feds and klingons to three feds ,klingons and romulans and if they do make us pay the free to play people are the ones who should pay since the lifers and gold members pay already...
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wanderer89 wrote: »
    Cryptic needs to recoup the money its poured into the expansion and it'll likely do it by also releasing a tonne of stuff for the Romulans into the C-Store (Liberated Romulan BOFF anyone?)

Did you mean Liberated Borg Romulan BOFF?
    If so, this is how that would be handled:

This is already an existing item in C-Store.
    I'm expecting when the new faction comes out, they'll alter the unlock to include the Romulan version in addition to the Starfleet and KDF versions.

At least, they'd better do this, because charging for a new liberated Borg BOFF just because it's a new faction is highly likely to irritate the veterans who have a tonne of legacy unlocks.

And I really hope Cryptic is factoring this in.

I personally have a lot of cool unlocks on my account and would love to have them available to my Hirogen Captain the moment he gets created.

A rough outline would go like this:

Steam Chromodynamic Armor.
    TR-116a Rifle.
    Bajoran Weapons.
    Target Tribble.

Liberated BORG Engineer BOFF.
    Photonic Science Officer BOFF.
    Android Engineer BOFF (Veteran Reward).

Tribble Test DOFFs.

Note, there is more then this, I just picked the ones I could remember.

I'm very fond of these items and would be quite irate if I learn that Cryptic hasn't allowed for the ability to claim them on a Romulan Faction Captain.

Especially since the use of these items means my Captain is ready to go pretty much from creation, I don't have to go looking for BOFFs to run my ship or weapons or armor, because I have them via the unlocks!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    check out tribble shows we getting close to testing the romulans