test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy of Romulus Revealed!

Comments

• dhiemmdhiemm Member Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey there fans of Romulus! Q here. Say, if you're reeealllllllllllly nice to me, maybe I can bring back that Hobus star you people have been crying about for months now. (I've seen you cry, it's disgusting.
    DHIEMM.png

Join date July 08
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    IF Q brings back Romulus I promise I will never again Give him a Wedgie
    Live long and Prosper
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    but it's Monday although I tend to agree we don't usually see blogs till Tuesday and beyond but it would be nice to start seeing info on this, I really think it needs atleast a month of testing on tribble if not more sorta like how F2P got tested.

It is still pretty early Monday at this point. I would wait a while before you proclaim no Dev Blog.

As for Testing. While I agree a month of Testing is a bare minimum to make sure this isn't horribly buggy when it hits live. Keep in mind it isn't even April yet and the expansion doesn't hit until May 21st.

They have a good 2 weeks to a month to string us all along until they really should have this on test.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    IF Q brings back Romulus I promise I will never again Give him a Wedgie
    You gave Q a wedgie huh? Hows that horribly rearranged anatomy working for you?
    The Romulan Star Empire no longer exists, Romulus and Remus have been destroyed, those are the cards dealt, deal with it, what's left is in the start of a civil war with one group trying to break free of a regime that wants to keep the status-quo of oppressive control aided and controlled by an ancient menace. Do you want to be a player or do you want to be a pawn? Seems to me that a lot of people are crying because they aren't going to get to be pawns.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • theirishman90theirishman90 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have been looking forward to this moment for a long time. 890 days to be exact. I have High hope for the Romulan faction. I have 5 level 50's 3 the Klingon Empire and, 2 in Starfleet. Here is to a great release. I feel like I can actually feel comfortable saying good job perfect world.
    Brandon Lovett@Cpt.Lovett
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    oh anyone can give Q a wedgie
    all you have to do is catch him off guard
    if sisko can deck him I can give him a wedgie

Actually at "winterfest" I stood on him for a while
    jumped up and down
    and did the stomp emote

Groin stomp that Q
    Live long and Prosper
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    but it's Monday although I tend to agree we don't usually see blogs till Tuesday and beyond but it would be nice to start seeing info on this, I really think it needs atleast a month of testing on tribble if not more sorta like how F2P got tested.

Well, usually I wake up on Tuesday (CET here) to find quite a few dev posts (and sometimes blogs) that have been posted after I went to sleep. Give it a couple of hours, they'll wake up from their hibernation. :cool:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They usually post the dev blogs at about noon PST; that was two hours ago. I don't think we'll be seeing a blog today. Hopefully tomorrow, though.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    You gave Q a wedgie huh? Hows that horribly rearranged anatomy working for you?
    The Romulan Star Empire no longer exists, Romulus and Remus have been destroyed, those are the cards dealt, deal with it, what's left is in the start of a civil war with one group trying to break free of a regime that wants to keep the status-quo of oppressive control aided and controlled by an ancient menace. Do you want to be a player or do you want to be a pawn? Seems to me that a lot of people are crying because they aren't going to get to be pawns.

Perhaps they think they will get a bikini clad Sela hologram, and an Iconian purple Bridge officer to watch over them?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    From another thread:
    Expect dev blogs to start next week or so, and the Ask Cryptic should be up this Friday. Lots of answers and info between then and May.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ok on this Q thing: no on is Q'ed out because of how many times we seen him in the december-febuary time frame? (note:being sarcastic with this question)

on the blogs i asked a couple of questions in the ask cryptic page about how many and stuff. i am glad we will get blogs about the legacy of romulus update because i want more info about it
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes, I see a lot of talk about KDF getting their just dues before Romulans.

But honestly, I don't see that more Honor! Glory! storylines will fix the faction.
    I've already had my fill of that with the limited content they have at the moment, more of those stories isn't going to entice me to play it more.

I doubt it's the lack of content that is keeping players away, I've heard it mentioned on occasion it's actually the theme of the faction that is keeping them at a distance.

Especially since my KDF Captain happens to be maxed in level, Reputation and DOFF.
    My only concern with KDF is they fix that broken Maruading BOFF.
    And well, that's not happening!

So, if I get to play my Hirogen Captain for Romulan, I'll be far more interested in doing that.
    Hence why Romulans should have priority.

Overall, the Romulans would have more interesting content, so they're a more viable faction.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • veepnovaveepnova Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Which is why I stick to the "if it didn't happen onscreen, it didn't happen" rule.
    People can say all sorts of speculation and mistatements, but at the end of the day, tv show rules all.

And really, citing the Caitians are true canon because they got like 30 second appearances in this movie or that movie is a pretty weak argument.

By that logic, we should be playing as humpback whales and have humpback whale boffs/doffs, because they got a whole movie based around them!

Which is way more then the Caitians have ever had.

My system rates canon species by time onscreen/depth of story/length of story.
    Caitians rank extremely poorly in the first category and have no rating for the next two categories.
    Now I want a Humpback Whale Boff, or at least a Doff. Cryptic, Please?
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, if I get to play my Hirogen Captain for Romulan, I'll be far more interested in doing that.
    Hence why Romulans should have priority.

Overall, the Romulans would have more interesting content, so they're a more viable faction.

That's why they should have priority to you!

What absolute rubbish, the content is as interesting as its made.

Despite people having nonsense mentalities like that being one of the driving issues with the game, I am looking forward to playing Romulans.
  • dthompson980dthompson980 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Does anyone else think that, while the expansion will be good that the sto team should put focus onto an option to go online or offline so that players with slow internet connection like me who can usually only play in the early morning can go offline and still play the story
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Does anyone else think that, while the expansion will be good that the sto team should put focus onto an option to go online or offline so that players with slow internet connection like me who can usually only play in the early morning can go offline and still play the story

....the point of an mmOrpg (massive multiplayer ONLINE role playing game) is well... playing with other people ONLINE. so i highly doubt that will happen. I have never heard of any MMO having an "Offline" option.
    edited March 2013
    tenkari wrote: »
    ....the point of an mmOrpg (massive multiplayer ONLINE role playing game) is well... playing with other people ONLINE. so i highly doubt that will happen. I have never heard of any MMO having an "Offline" option.

I am not sure it is even possible. The data is all on online servers. without those servers you have no game. I suppose you could save the game on the launcher, but we are talking HUGE files then. Not sure many computers can handle all that data.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I doubt it's the lack of content that is keeping players away, I've heard it mentioned on occasion it's actually the theme of the faction that is keeping them at a distance.

I think that if they made for species specific storylines things would be better. For instance, a Gorn storyline where you are given a choice between siding with the glorious liberators the Klingons, or an underground Gorn resistance. Or a Nausicaan mission where you're offered a ton of money to be a merc for people opposing the Klingons.
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    All the data is in your PC, you really think you are streaming ALL the data from the server ...

Really?

REALLY?

All the data. No. But if the data was really all on my PC then deleting STO would result in my characters and all my progress being deleted as well. Which it does not.

Also I highly doubt ever map and every NPC is stored on my little computer.
  • sovakofvulcansovakofvulcan Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I am a Romulan Fan and always have been...I would like to see the KDF flushed out.

Assuming they could design it 1 mission = roughly 1 level...
    As for "Storyline" for lvl 1-20, there is so much available material that they could use...

Examples:

Tutorial Mission...

5 missions dealing with what "House" you are a part of, maybe in the end getting to choose to join the House of Martok or J'mpok?

5 missions dealing with a "Gorn Underground Resistance" in which you meet the Gorn ambassador for the 1st time...

---At this point you should be roughly Lt Commander and get new ship ---

5 Missions dealing with a renewed "H'urq" Threat that takes place on planets in the KDF Home Sector...and should involve the Lethean's in some way

5 Missions involving the Orion's

--- At this point you should be roughly Commander and get new ship ---

begin Federation War Storyline
    Admiral Jisil T'ror
    Admiral Sovak
    “Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
  • unclefester166unclefester166 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, am I excited about the Romulan faction?
    You bet!

Am I apprehensive about the Romulans being added to a game with so many things either broken (too many to list), unbalanced (PvP) or neglected (KDF) or just unresolved, in general.
    O.K. maybe a little, but a "wait & see" modus is definitely in order here...cart before the horse and all.

That being said, is it just me or is the release announcement from Cryptic regarding the Romulan expansion a bit vague? By vague, I mean how exactly will this be implemented?

So what happens with the new expansion and all it's content?
    We are led to believe that we will be able to create a Romulan character and level him from 1-50 with an abundance (well, maybe not abundant) of new content, are we not? A home planet, starbases, a Romulan academy, etc. etc. all assumed & expected to be an integral part of a completely new Romulan faction.
    But I have to ask, do the Romulans suddenly decide to kick everyone off their current planet, New Romulus? And if not, where will this new faction reside? Certainly not on a planet where Starfleet and KDF rountinely visit...that would be absurd. Will a new sector and yet another "New Romulus" be included in the expansion? If so, what happens to the "old" New Romulus? Do the Roms all pack up and leave for those greener pastures? To say nothing about all the New Romulus content that was introduced in season 7, would all that just disappear? hmmm

Which brings me to the query I have in regard to the logistics involved with having a three tier PvP queue system. Is that even a viable possibility? I dunno.

All this leaves me with a sneaking suspicion that the new Romulan faction will be somehow split in two. The current Romulan storyline kind of lends itself to this theory, as well as this quote from the announcement "Gather allies, go undercover and find the proof that will rally your people to revolt."
    Someone out there knows the answer to these questions. I am only a humble player who is considering all possibilities.

Feel free to expound.

The Pigeonslayer (Uncle Fester)

Syrvallis / Black Irish Ninja / Heywood / T'waat / Cuddle Muffin / Ten of Ten - Starfleet
    Slick / S'lyk / Jah'ne / Kim Cardassian / Chi'por / Jarius / K'otex / Biff Urtezor - KDF
    edited March 2013
    So, am I excited about the Romulan faction?
    You bet!

Am I apprehensive about the Romulans being added to a game with so many things either broken (too many to list), unbalanced (PvP) or neglected (KDF) or just unresolved, in general.
    O.K. maybe a little, but a "wait & see" modus is definitely in order here...cart before the horse and all.

That being said, is it just me or is the release announcement from Cryptic regarding the Romulan expansion a bit vague? By vague, I mean how exactly will this be implemented?

So what happens with the new expansion and all it's content?
    We are led to believe that we will be able to create a Romulan character and level him from 1-50 with an abundance (well, maybe not abundant) of new content, are we not? A home planet, starbases, a Romulan academy, etc. etc. all assumed & expected to be an integral part of a completely new Romulan faction.
    But I have to ask, do the Romulans suddenly decide to kick everyone off their current planet, New Romulus? And if not, where will this new faction reside? Certainly not on a planet where Starfleet and KDF rountinely visit...that would be absurd. Will a new sector and yet another "New Romulus" be included in the expansion? If so, what happens to the "old" New Romulus? Do the Roms all pack up and leave for those greener pastures? To say nothing about all the New Romulus content that was introduced in season 7, would all that just disappear? hmmm

Which brings me to the query I have in regard to the logistics involved with having a three tier PvP queue system. Is that even a viable possibility? I dunno.

All this leaves me with a sneaking suspicion that the new Romulan faction will be somehow split in two. The current Romulan storyline kind of lends itself to this theory, as well as this quote from the announcement "Gather allies, go undercover and find the proof that will rally your people to revolt."
    Someone out there knows the answer to these questions. I am only a humble player who is considering all possibilities.

Feel free to expound.

The Pigeonslayer (Uncle Fester)

Syrvallis / Black Irish Ninja / Heywood / T'waat / Cuddle Muffin / Ten of Ten - Starfleet
    Slick / S'lyk / Jah'ne / Kim Cardassian / Chi'por / Jarius / K'otex / Biff Urtezor - KDF

Ok, I think this needs to be said before to much confusion reigns. New Romulus does not represent the Romulans as a whole. After Sela's disappearance the Romulan Star Empire effectively split into numerous splinter groups. Each one trying to fill the hole left by Sela. The Romulans are in effect in the middle of a Civil War.

D'tan and his group represent one faction. One tied to the reunificationist movement and one that wants to live peacefully. But they are not the only group. It remains to be seen if the Romulan Republic is D'tan's group or not. My suspicions are they are not. but that is just me speculating.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ok, I think this needs to be said before to much confusion reigns. New Romulus does not represent the Romulans as a whole. After Sela's disappearance the Romulan Star Empire effectively split into numerous splinter groups. Each one trying to fill the hole left by Sela. The Romulans are in effect in the middle of a Civil War.

D'tan and his group represent one faction. One tied to the reunificationist movement and one that wants to live peacefully. But they are not the only group. It remains to be seen if the Romulan Republic is D'tan's group or not. My suspicions are they are not. but that is just me speculating.
    I concur.

D'Tan's group seems a bit too.... peacenik. Also The Romulan Rep system requires you to interact with D'Tan's group in a diplomatic way. Thus requiring them to be an unplayable "faction". One of the things we know about Romulan republic captains is that you'll be free to rove the galaxy looking for treats to the RR. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Also it's only called new Romulus for now... It actually has another name which I can't remember off the top of my head. As the planet has its own history of other species well before it got called new Romulus. Kinda edging my bets on raptor 3 as the romulan factions home world/base. I think the story on 'new Romulus' is set to evolve along with its name
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I concur.

D'Tan's group seems a bit too.... peacenik. Also The Romulan Rep system requires you to interact with D'Tan's group in a diplomatic way. Thus requiring them to be an unplayable "faction". One of the things we know about Romulan republic captains is that you'll be free to rove the galaxy looking for treats to the RR. :D
    I think the Romulan Republic faction will be a faction that wouldn't necessarily be for or against the Tal Shiar. I do believe (speculating) that you can choose how you want to play your character, you may very well decide to go on the Tal Shiar side, or a more benign route, a la D'Tan and his compatriots. I don't know if that's right, but I feel that it is.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Star Trek Online?s first expansion, Legacy of Romulus, has just been revealed! Visit our overview site at www.legacyofromulus.com for full expansion details.

Are you ready to build your legacy?

This is AWESOME! More than a few of my friends and I have been looking forward to this!
    ;)

Thank You Cryptic! Especially the the Dev Team and the producers!!

Will everyone be getting an extra character slot or do we need to buy a pair in the C-Store?
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So... we had a countdown to a notice that we already new about (May Update that involved some Rommie additions). Yes, we got the confirmation that Romulan faction is going to be added, but why the meaningless countdown?

I sure hope the hype is not hollow when this updates arrives in just under two months, and that the Romulan update is complete (just like the Fed... and hopefully the KDF will be too).

Looking forward to another countdown... to something. :rolleyes:
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I did hear rumors about Cryptic saying they want to expand new Romulus in the future.

However, the RR being a 3rd faction that is benevolent to D'tan's refugees is entirely possibly.

I do doubt that the RR would be in war with D'tan on the other hand.

That would put them against KDF-Fed joint efforts, effectivly cutting them from Omega and Rom rep shinies.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • thecomputerizerthecomputerizer Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How much will it cost....I hope its on free to play.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How much will it cost....I hope its on free to play.

It is, Brandon's already confirmed it.