test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

VIP Dilithium Mining Claim

Comments

• andy1884andy1884 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Unlike many in this thread I actually like the lock box concept, I think its a really good idea and its definitely got more of my money whilst keeping a smile on my face.

Until this.

I've not stopped opening lockboxes (Im still going through a few cardi and ferengi I had, and will probably get a few more from my fleets bank when they have finished), just I wont be opening the Dominion ones, purely because of this claim.

I have 2 characters, my fed - who I play every day, and my KDF which I've just started up to play for maybe an hour or two on the rare days im online all day.

My Fed makes more dilithium every day than I can refine, WITHOUT ANY GRIND. Basically from my Doffs (whom I have invested heavily in) and STFs/ Dailys which I would play anyway.

In addition to this I have often found if I have gone dil mining (usually for particle traces) the game glitches and I cannot move (or see) the minigame and basically end up with the lowest possible score - 25 dil I think. If the rich claim is done via the same game, theres a good chance I'll end up with nothing.

If I could transfer it to my KDF, great - I'd probably even use her a bit more. But as it is, its worthless.

My suggestion to fix what has already been broken is to at least let us trade the damn things in for lobi.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    andy1884 wrote: »
    I've not stopped opening lockboxes (Im still going through a few cardi and ferengi I had, and will probably get a few more from my fleets bank when they have finished), just I wont be opening the Dominion ones, purely because of this claim.

It's kind of along the lines of this. Destroying the Dominion boxes and buying others off the Exchange when I'm trying to get Lobi for a toon.

Dil's just so easy to get - hence the 8k cap for most of us - that something like this has no value. In having no value, it decreases the overall value of the box compared to other boxes.

No doubt, as evidenced in this thread, they do have value for some players out there. Even there though, it's a mixed bag in regards to where that value exists - BtC or BtA.
  • shrapne11shrapne11 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, this is not one of Cryptics finest moments.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    You can only refine 8000 a day so what's the point of putting a cool-down on the mining claim? It seems the epitome of pointlessness.

Unless the cool-down is there just to annoy players and waste our time having to make a separate trip to the asteroid for each one.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    18k EC each trip...no need to cry. But you have a point, double cap doesn't make sense.
    Go pro or go home
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just discard tehm.I had hundreds stucked on my main toon .you dont have to be einstein to know that when you open a series on lockboxes you open them from 1 toon not all toons.That minning claim is a good idea and I can understand why is not tradeable ...but its useless being charcarter bound.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Terribly implemented
    Boxes bound when opening lock box, so whats the point of even having boxes and not just a differing number of claims?
    Dil cap destroys ability to actually use a lot of claims anyway, you are always limited by 8k

It really seems like a prize they don't want you to use, by making it as annoying as possible.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed,

Make these boxes tradable!! I don't need, literally, 360+ tickets on one toon!
    :eek:
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I doubt they will allow you to sell the mining claims. That would essentially amount to being able to sell dilithium ore on the exchange. It's already bad enough that they're basically letting you pull up to 50k ore out of a lockbox.

The 20 hour cooldown is a little odd. Though, most things involving dilithium seem to be structured to require you to log in at least once a day. That assures you continue to play, which is the biggest thing a F2P game needs to do. By making you come back every day to tend your Doffs, run your dailies, kick your rep projects, and turn in your mining claims they assure you will log in every day. And probably do some other stuff.

Of course, even though I understand it doesn't mean I don't find it annoying. Because it is.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Been out of town and off the game for 5 days - hence - that's 5 days that I could not use this prize and 5 days longer it will take me to realize the "benefit's" of this prize. At this rate it will take me about 2 YEARS to go throught the 180 claims. This is a total joke. Like many others now, if I ever need more lobi I will be openning Temporal, Cardi, or Ferengi boxes. The fact that I come back to the forums after a more than 5 days off and still find this thread in the top topics tells me that having this "prize" character bound was a bad decision not just shared by me.:(:eek:
  • sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The cooldown and bound to character keeps it from flash crashing the value of Dilithium.
    The daily aspect encourages folks to log in and do a quick freebie mission, and be freed from needing to grind out more Dilithium. Of course, that isn't as pointed/useful if you are reaching your 8000/day from your normal 'fun' activities, but at the very least, it's some back-stock you can get to cover if you don't log in on a given day.

It's 5k dilithium for a 1minute minigame, 4 zone changes [To Planet, to Site, To Air Lock, Off Planet. ok that is 4, woot], and a trip to a system near DS9.

Not to say there isn't a problem with them. With a lot of folks who buy lockboxes, buy -a lot- of them, and lobi encouraging you to buy them on one character, it's very easy to get to a point where you are sitting on over a few months worth of mining claims.

Something to consider. With current market values (92), 125 Zen is 11,500 dilithium [refined]. The rare one is 30,000 dilithium [over 6 days].
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I dislike the mining mini-game.

So I don't want something piling up in my Inventory/Bank space, that either forces me to play a part of the game I don't like, or "Discharge" them...

The latter being something that is a total waste of my purchasing power.

Therefore, I won't be opening any boxes that have this item attached to them.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The mining claim only requires that you play the game once, then kicks you 5k dilithium (assuming you didn't do terribly at it). If you hate the mining game, this is a godsend compared to doing it 5 times for 3500 dil. Also, as Sudoku pointed out, a pack of mining claims can easily pay for the cost of the key. They are probably the best thing to ever sprout out of a lockbox, and I will be regularly opening Dominion boxes because of them. That's something I've never done before.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • voodoopapavoodoopapa Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2013
    recieved a couple vip mining claims in lock boxes, but not sure how this works. Do you need a certain device or skill to mine once you recieve the mission to mine the roid?

Also, can you sell them on the exchange and is that worth while?
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Each VIP claim comes with 10 tokens, which you can turn in for a daily mining mission. You don't need anything other then the EV Suit you already need for the normal mining daily. When you get to the asteroid, talk to the mining NPC; there's a new mission, besides the normal mining daily. You take that and ask where the FDMAA guy is, then you'll beam out to the part of the asteroid where the deposit is and talk to the NPC there. if you have a token in either your bank or your inventory, he'll let you mine once per day. After you turn in the token, the rest works just like the normal dil mining daily, except you only have to mine one spot.

The tokens are bound to character (a point of much contention on the forums) so you can't sell them.
  • voodoopapavoodoopapa Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2013
    so, theres a mining daily somewhere for dilithium. good to know :)

thanks for the answer mate
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Look for the asteroid field southwest of Bajor
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed. Either remove the limit (Or reduce it to 30-60 minutes).

Even if you manage to tear through all the claims you have, lets say 100, in a day (No time restriction) and score 5k Dilithum ore on each one.

You've now got 500,000 Dilithium ore and you can only refine 8000 per day.

That's close to 63 days of refining.

And that's if you don't pull in anymore Dilithium ore.

The time limit is TRIBBLE.

They will not become unbound though as players with a large number of alts will have a torrent of refined Dilithium flooding in.
  • origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    wow, i was unaware of the mining facilty south west of bajor myself. thanks for posting.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mining Claim BOUND Tickets is the most absurd reward to date - The Garbage rewards this time around is at a all time high:

First things first:

The massive amounts of DoFF packs being thrown into your pot couple with one of the lamest rewards to date (Mining Tickets).

They could have done alot better in offering players better rewards for their Zen purchases.

For starters, it would have been much better if they offer Lobi crates rewards in packs of 10, 25, and a whopping 50 account bound.

or

Fleet starbase type mirror versions of the ships.

Anyway, back to the tickets - Account bound would have been alot better than character bound.

Sure you can move Dilithium, but at a huge loss - since the only means to transfer Dilithium from one toon to another is via the Dilithium exchange. So there is a lost in Dilithium revenue by means of the market - insane.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • wesleycrasherwesleycrasher Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really hope someone sees and pays attention to this thread. I've got a stack of these dumb claims too and I'm certainly not going to go mine dilithium every day for the next year. The refining cap is there to make sure dilithium production doesn't get out of control, why do we need a second cap on it?
    All the toys you can't afford.
  • chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Devs, I have a stack of these dilithium mining claims,and much as they are good,one per day is ridiculous,considering i need the dilithium.
    Also the dilithium cap at 8000 is far too low.
    Please help us by scrapping both of these ridiculous rules right now.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    agreed, there is no legit reason to make this a daily
    i got enough of those things to keep me doing it for the next 3 Months

the 8000 limit will not be going away though

Champions Online got a 16000 limit with their 1000 day Veteran Reward,
    we did not!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ten minutes. Six thousand dilithium. Maybe another half hour to hit the cap depending upon what you do. Easiest way to get through your daily dilithium grind the game offers so you can go at for fun. Whahh! I still can't pay for a T5 base in a week.
    <3
  • romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Ten minutes. Six thousand dilithium. Maybe another half hour to hit the cap depending upon what you do. Easiest way to get through your daily dilithium grind the game offers so you can go at for fun. Whahh! I still can't pay for a T5 base in a week.
    This is the best argument I have ever read about why the dil cap should stay at 8k. Because it takes 15 minutes to cap it if you have these mining claims to aid you. So, that makes the refinement cap okay.

If you're a zen buyer.

If you're a dil buyer, it's the worst ****ing thing ever when it costs 25 dollars to buy 220,000 dilithium. It used to get you 700,000. Cryptics positive out look on the current state of the dil exchange is strongly disheartening to read, when they talk like it's exactly where they think it should be at, that keeping it from crashing down to 50 but staying at 80-90 range is a good thing and case closed. Well, no. It's not case closed for the players. But I do know it's exactly where Cryptic wanted it to be for themselves because it's ching ching ching for them. A cap raise to 16k would solve alot of player headaches.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't mind the daily cooldown. What I hate is the bound to character. I want to transfer some of these boxes of claims to other characters not ot reach the cap limit but to clear out my inventory.

I'm not even going to consider opening another Dominion lockbox as long as the claims are bound to character, mainly because I'm starting to run out of space.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • monshmonsh Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't mind the daily cooldown. What I hate is the bound to character. I want to transfer some of these boxes of claims to other characters not ot reach the cap limit but to clear out my inventory.

I'm not even going to consider opening another Dominion lockbox as long as the claims are bound to character, mainly because I'm starting to run out of space.

You do realize that if you open the item "wrapper" the resulting claims stack?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join our cause now!
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They wont make them account bound. If you have 20 characters which some people do that could easily be 100'000 dilithium in about half an hour, every day until you use them up. i dont think they will want that.

I could see them taking out the daily limit, or at least reducing it significantly. even every hour would help.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How high do they stack?
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    monsh wrote: »
    You do realize that if you open the item "wrapper" the resulting claims stack?

When I said I had alot of claims, I meant I had a lot of claims. :D
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind