What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Small Fleets are dying "Cryptic heres how to save them"

1234568»

Comments

• yggdrayurilyggdrayuril Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    tc10b wrote: »
    Seconded, make any game without grind and see how long people play it before it ends up in computer exchange.

Well you can make a single-player game without grind just fine, for these the profit is in the game purchase.

However MMOs have a constant upkeep and cost to the dev. They need to pay for servers and are constantly paying the wages for all the workers to keep the game running, and keep developing it. They don't make that much from the actual gamesale to make this work, they need to make money from the game in some form.

A game that has no incentive to keep playing will just hemmorage money. A single-player/offline game that costs $50 might net you 10-20 hours of gameplay, but they don't care - they made their money when you bought it. An MMO needs you to keep paying for it, or it'll shut down. They have to keep players around for hundreds, or thousands of hours.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Your not describing profit per se, but overhead costs. Some of the best single player games have in built grind in order to keep you playing as well as recommend the game to other people. This is the difference between a successful video game and one that is rarely played or bought.

But I take your point.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    hanover2 wrote: »
    You're missing the point. There is no reason to make us repeat a small hand full of missions when they have so much existing content already built. Why doesn't every "episode" mission give 5-10 fleet marks and maybe 100 dilithium, for example? My beef is not only is there an excessive amount of grind necessary, but they insist on making us grind only certain things, which makes the repetetive feeling even worse.

I agree with this, and to be fair they are trying to implement it with the new romulan missions.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You're missing the point. There is no reason to make us repeat a small hand full of missions when they have so much existing content already built. Why doesn't every "episode" mission give 5-10 fleet marks and maybe 100 dilithium, for example? My beef is not only is there an excessive amount of grind necessary, but they insist on making us grind only certain things, which makes the repetetive feeling even worse.

I see what you are saying: There should be more mission daily's that give fleet marks as rewards... not just fleet-specific queues and missions. I wouldn't mind seeing some extra daily's for fleet marks... e.g., 20 fleet marks for doing a fleet action once per day or something along those lines.
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    shar487a wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing some extra daily's for fleet marks... e.g., 20 fleet marks for doing a fleet action once per day or something along those lines.

This is already in game. There is a "Fleet Action (Daily)" that rewards 50 fleet marks.
    edited December 2012
    latinumbar wrote: »
    This is already in game. There is a "Fleet Action (Daily)" that rewards 50 fleet marks.

Sounds like I'd better check for the quest more frequently :D

EDIT: Looks like the quest randomly selects a fleet mission to finish for the 50 marks, which is a shame since I prefer space fleet actions, and the present one is "The Big Dig."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    shar487a wrote: »
    Sounds like I'd better check for the quest more frequently :D

EDIT: Looks like the quest randomly selects a fleet mission to finish for the 50 marks, which is a shame since I prefer space fleet actions, and the present one is "The Big Dig."
    You should try it! I like that one!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You should try it! I like that one!

Has the Big Dig changed considerably since the previous seasons? I got bored of it after a year of game play...
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    "Big Dig" is one of those I find too excruciating to repeat. Along with "Gorn Minefield," "Crystalline Catastrophe" (never have finished that one), and "Terradome" (never finished that one, either.)
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Gorn is great now that it's a five man. Get a competent enough group and you can clear it in less than 10 minutes.
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    "Big Dig" is one of those I find too excruciating to repeat. Along with "Gorn Minefield," "Crystalline Catastrophe" (never have finished that one), and "Terradome" (never finished that one, either.)

Big Dig has been significantly changed this year. No more kill 150 romulans. No more kill 10 captains. Spawn point is now at base of pyramid. And there's a console there where you can pick up 5 shield generators. And there is a boss fight at the top of the pyramid now. Give it a try.