test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New DOff Dilithium Costs

mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
I noticed the following dilithium costs on Tribble at the Personnel Officer:

General Recruitment (the basic DOff pack) - 1,000
Reassign Underperforming Officers (crunch 5 into 1 of the next higher quality)
Common - 500 (600 at race specific vendor)
Uncommon - 2500 (3000 at race specific vendor)
Rare - 5000 (6000 at race specific vendor)

Seems a bit steep to me. I'll probably stop doing those assignments if this goes live. Since I don't buy packs on the Z-Store or grind dilithium, it'll hurt my DOff production a bit, and my DOff contributions to our starbases. I can live with it though. I'm wondering how it will affect other players.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That's absurd.

It's enough of a grind just to have to get the DOFFs...now we have to grind to grind?

SMH...this is turning into a disaster for Cryptic/PWE. Not gonna run these missions, which means Starbase construction could potentially slow and prices on Exchange go up.

Looks like I'll be using Fleet Credits rather than time and EC to get DOFFs after this...

EDIT: Looks like Tactical, Enginering, Science, and Civil "Cadres" are still Dilithium-free.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow that's a brtual set of costs.

Unreal.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow that's a brtual set of costs.

Unreal.

Monetization gone wild. I would expect we'll see Dil added to the cost of most things the heavy doffers use.
  • captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mirai222 wrote: »
    I noticed the following dilithium costs on Tribble at the Personnel Officer:

General Recruitment (the basic DOff pack) - 1,000
    Reassign Underperforming Officers (crunch 5 into 1 of the next higher quality)
    Common - 500 (600 at race specific vendor)
    Uncommon - 2500 (3000 at race specific vendor)
    Rare - 5000 (6000 at race specific vendor)

Seems a bit steep to me. I'll probably stop doing those assignments if this goes live. Since I don't buy packs on the Z-Store or grind dilithium, it'll hurt my DOff production a bit, and my DOff contributions to our starbases. I can live with it though. I'm wondering how it will affect other players.

Wow if this is so that a huge cost bump
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So for commons it goes from the current 10 all the way up to 500?

Wow.

So now you can't dismiss doffs for recruitment cxp or dilithium, and you can't upgrind them to the next higher tier without paying out the nose?

That personnel officer that stands by Lt Ferra is going to be awfully lonely soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Monetization gone wild. I would expect we'll see Dil added to the cost of most things the heavy doffers use.

You know I try to be positive and accept that the game needs to make money, but there are times when the crushing grind of "free to play" has me feeling that by this time next year you can log into the game and play for free but dilithium costs will be added to sector space travel, basic character movement, opening menus and a "cost per character" when you type in chat.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is honestly getting ridiculous!

First they nerf our Dilithium Income such as the nerfs to the Contraband Mission and the Dilithium you get for turning in DOFFs. Then they add those enormous costs for Fleet Starbases. Then with Season 7, they get rid of the free STF Turn-ins and now force you to pay for that stuff with Dilithium, AND NOW THIS? :mad:

If Cryptic goes through with this, I will immediately stop working on Starbases and I will stop bothering with DOFFs. In fact, for the first time, I am actually thinking of quitting STO. Because I am tired of Perfect World's greed.
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Cryptic... this is ****ing ridiculous!

I'm fed up with this **** honestly. Wallet is closed from here on.
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I echo these sentiments.

I am aware that management probably cares nothing for this, but there is a point at which things are so heavily monetized that you start cutting your profits to shreds.

I think that this may be one of those points.

Definitely not picking up extra char slots or DOff slots at this point. That's just ridiculous, and I shudder to think what it might be like to start over under these conditions.
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah you can bassiclly kiss most people doing any doffing goodbye at this point. The sheer dillithium cost is just going to make it impossibble with all our other dilithium drains, you eithier play the game or you grind dilithium and doff, there's no real in between with this change.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Those are some pretty ugly changes.

im not totally shocked they are making changes as doffs are really quite easy to come by, especially with the ones from starbases and all the different ways to get them from the academy which probably means people are not buying doff packs, but id rather they made c-store doff packs more attractive than trying to make these harder.

right now people are pumping their doffs into starbase construction and this will make things a lot harder for everyone.

i dont mind little amounts of dilithium. 25, 50 a 100 etc but when its in the thousands that going to put people off. it wont kill doffing but its not going to do it any favours either.
    edited October 2012
    Yeah i just did the math, to get a 100 rare quality doffs using only whites will no cost aroubnd 3 million dilithium, (over 1 year at 8K a day, or more like severla years for most people in reality). Given that you allways get a few bad Doff's even at rare level i figure extra doff construction will use up the green/blue/purples you do get, (and they ain't common, pun not intended).

And it's not going to help doff pack sales at all becuase you still need to trade them up, they're still mostly junky low quality doffs, not packs full fo purples and blues.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Those are some pretty ugly changes.

im not totally shocked they are making changes as doffs are really quite easy to come by, especially with the ones from starbases and all the different ways to get them from the academy which probably means people are not buying doff packs, but id rather they made c-store doff packs more attractive than trying to make these harder.

right now people are pumping their doffs into starbase construction and this will make things a lot harder for everyone.

i dont mind little amounts of dilithium. 25, 50 a 100 etc but when its in the thousands that going to put people off. it wont kill doffing but its not going to do it any favours either.

I wouldn't mind if they actually offered Specialized Starbase DOFF Packs, where the DOFFs from the packs are for construction costs. And people had to pay $5 for the commons and uncommons and maybe $7 or $10 for Advanced Packs for Rare and VR DOFFs.

But this Dilithium Increase is going to be like Cryptic shooting their foot. It drastically hurts new players who are trying to get Rare and Very Rare DOFFs. It really hurts small Fleets slowly working their way up. And it even hurts fleets in Tier 4 and eventually Tier 5, because the costs to find that correct Rare or Very Rare DOFF is going to be so expensive it might actually stop people from doing so.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The stupidity of this change is amazing. Instead of removing features they make it ridiculously expensive so that no one uses it. I'd rather see dil costs added to the starbase doff vendor instead of that TRIBBLE.

I mean, I already have the perfect doff roster (really), I have every single crit doff for roughly 90% of existing missions, so, I don't need that for myself but those doffs were usefull for my fleet. It was my way of being social.

Now I don't mind I guess my fleet will just slow down the whole starbase grind, and since doffs will be a harsher problem (it's always what prevent us from completing projects), I guess that the whole season 6 content won't be played anymore. No more defera, nukara, fleet events, etc. A good part of our current fleet events will just disappear since fleet credits won't be critical at all.

I see no one in my fleet paying for doff packs and it's not going to change TBH. This change will just slow down our starbase progression. The basic academy pack dil cost is a huge mistake. I don't mind about the doff grinder since it has no real use, the current dil cost already makes it far less profitable than GQ exchanges.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited October 2012
    Err for me the dof grinders is the core of getting better doffs. wha the hell is a GQ exchange?

Also did anyone check the Culturual exchange missions?
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    *facepalm*

-> Starbase Construction will come to a full stop if this goes live.

i wont pay 1 dilithium for WHITE doff pickups that i only do to throw them at the Starbase anyway...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Cultural Exchange also seems to be free, as well as the "Cadre" ones. It's the Officer Exchanges/"Shredders" and General Recruitment.

Seems they want you in-game as much as possible. But if you're grinding and not having fun, it actually forces people out.

If PWE's strategy is long-term, they need to turn around some of this grinding. Otherwise the playerbase will leave after enough of it. "Taxing" the DOFF system is just another step toward that eventuality.
  • maxxinamaxxina Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is just wrong on so many levels i dont know what should i add more.
  • emperormakemperormak Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Like everything else, DOFFing gets boring after doing it for a long time. And really boring if you're doing it on a whole bunch of characters.

With this change, it will be boring no longer. It will become an entirely ignored portion of the game.

Acquiring and donating items for Starbase construction feels to many people like a waste of time and effort.

With this change, it will feel like a waste of time and effort to very nearly EVERYONE.

Now this all assumes they don't add some other way of getting DOFFs much cheaper AND a way to get rid of DOFFs you don't want and get something out of it. But let's be honest, I don't see that happening.

This looks like nothing other than a MASSIVE penalty. If their intent is to increase sales of c-store DOFF packs, I'm sure it will be successful...for a while. And then those c-store DOFF packs will entirely stop selling as nearly everyone that plays STO because they enjoy DOFFing will move on to a different game.
    edited October 2012
    You know I try to be positive and accept that the game needs to make money, but there are times when the crushing grind of "free to play" has me feeling that by this time next year you can log into the game and play for free but dilithium costs will be added to sector space travel, basic character movement, opening menus and a "cost per character" when you type in chat.

Believe me, its not my intent to be a downer :(. But the reality is that STO is the lab experiment for PWI to figure out what western players will and will not accept. I think STO's well being is secondary to them getting those metrics.
    edited October 2012
    I'll add this as well, to make sure our concerns are 100% heard:

We are not looking for a reduction in the cost to run General Recruitment and the "Shredders"/Exchanges compared to what's being offered.

We're wanting costs to stay the same on something so general as, well, General Recruitment. If we're getting White DOFFs the vast majority of the time, why should we pay 1,000 Dilithium? Why should we pay anything? We can only get 1 Dilithium per DOFF back on them if we dismiss them.

As well, the Starbase system already takes a ton of Dilithium. Don't effectively add another 1,000 per General Recruitment run. As many DOFFs as it'll take, that's effectively what you're asking us to do.

So if you're really listening to us, please remove any cost associated with the General Recruitment and re-think your costs on the "Shredders"/Exchanges.
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Angry Mob - Check
    Pitchforks - Check
    Large Signs - Check

Honestly who thought this was a good idea.....
    edited October 2012
    red01999 wrote: »
    Definitely not picking up extra char slots or DOff slots at this point. That's just ridiculous, and I shudder to think what it might be like to start over under these conditions.

Actually a player just starting right now is in a pretty good position. They notice right away this is a game for whales and free players, anyone trying to stay in the middle will be unsatisfied. Most of us have been around a long time and have such an investment of time and money and friendships built in that the change to f2p has left us caught in the middle.
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This should be interesting. I'm sure they are doing this to stop people from profiting from the DOff exchange. It's going to work, no question about it.

But it's going to drop dilithium exchange rates again, force DOff exchange prices to skyrocket, and make it once again impossible to upgrade starbases. This will effectively kill the only feature Cryptic released in S6.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
    edited October 2012

But it's going to drop dilithium exchange rates again, force DOff exchange prices to skyrocket, and make it once again impossible to upgrade starbases. This will effectively kill the only feature Cryptic released in S6.

This is surprising somehow? Nukara and Defera... dead already. Starbases... already slowly dying because they are just too much of a grind. Upcoming next season... more grinding. All these grinds cost... for the priviledge of paying extra lol.

Silly Cryptic Execs, would it kill you to let the dev teams offer value now and then? Is PWI really that cavalier about risking it all for their metrics?
    edited October 2012
    ut it's going to drop dilithium exchange rates again, force DOff exchange prices to skyrocket, and make it once again impossible to upgrade starbases. This will effectively kill the only feature Cryptic released in S6.

it'll go way beyond that. Doffing just dosen't work very well with mostly whites, you need greens and above to really get anywhere with it. Blues and purples really for the long haul. Thats now impossibble. NO ONE is ever going to egtall purple doffs who dosen't allready have them, it's just not going to happen, no one has enough time and STO won't last long enough as a game even if it has a long, (by MMO standards), and active future, becuase it's a multi-year dilithium grind to do it. That bassiclly means for probably 80% of the playebase doffing ios dead, which just removed a huge chunk of Dilithium and FM generation from things.
  • abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think the real question is

WILL THERE BE ENUFF PPL LEFT TO PLAY THIS GAME?

Cause this is just so stupid it's funny. Exchange prices now pretty much show the real value of all doffs except purple. I.e. they are useless. Except for starbases... Or for those who still bother.
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I... I have no words for this.

:(
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    entnx01 wrote: »
    We are not looking for a reduction in the cost to run General Recruitment and the "Shredders"/Exchanges compared to what's being offered.

Speak for yourself. I couldn't care less about general recruitment. I'm mad in the price jump on the updrade/downgrade changes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]