test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lifetime Sub Sale + New Benefit

Comments

• captainotakucaptainotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    chakitty wrote: »
    I know that this post may be a repeat of someone else's post, but I don't have time to go through all 40+ pages of posts and everything. What I want to know is if we buy a month or two of gold subscription, will we get all the vet perks instantly as well or is there something in the system that only gives all the perks to those who pay the amount of the lifetime option?

No, it doesn't automatically go to Gold subscribers. You have to purchase a Lifetime Sub to get all the Veteran Rewards up front. To get the 1,000 Day ship as a Gold you'll have to pay considerably more and it will actually take 1,000 days.
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    Holy cow this issue has brought a lot of people out of the woodwork and into the forums. I almost started a "I heard a pin drop in here" thread just 2 days ago - lol
    Yep, I can even smell the flames I normally see on SWTOR or WOW community forums. :p
    chakitty wrote: »
    I know that this post may be a repeat of someone else's post, but I don't have time to go through all 40+ pages of posts and everything. What I want to know is if we buy a month or two of gold subscription, will we get all the vet perks instantly as well or is there something in the system that only gives all the perks to those who pay the amount of the lifetime option?

Lifetime only. Gold will have to pay their way.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
    edited October 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    Star Fleet is generous and welcoming...

Klingons are honorable and proud...

Who the hell are YOU people?

'cause not many posts I've seen here seem worthy of a Star Fleet or a Klingon officer...

But of course you're just playing a game. It's not like you have to actually BELIEVE in any of that TRIBBLE...

Right?

There's no need to flame. Yes, some of the posts have been extreme (and people have a right to voice their frustrations). But posting something like this in the spirit you intended kind of goes against what you are trying to say. Just because people are voicing their frustrations with what Cryptic has done does not mean they "don't get" Star Trek or its message.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I feel for the true veterans...

Having seen firsthand how Cryptic places such a value on "time", keep in mind the time-gating of events (now bonuses), the time gating of a currency (Dilithium), etc. and their continued insistence that this is "for the best of the game", for them to completely throw out the player's only demonstration of time-gating (aka how long said player has been "paying" Cryptic for the rights to play this game, remembering that an LTS = massive downpayment of subscription fees in exchange for the rights to be considered a "paying player" for the remaining existence of the game) is, disconcerting, to say the least.

On that note, I have begun to wonder... Up to this point, "gold" level has always been the "paying member" level, irregardless of whether said "paying" is an ongoing periodic thing (true gold) or a large one-time payment (LTS). The fact that they have not applied the code that "revokes" gold benefits (specifically, the third character slot's availability if ever emptied and EC limit) to the pile of (ex-)veterans rewards indicates that there is now a "P2W" level that can be accessed by either subscribing for 1000 days or having (at any point in the lifespan of STO) paid for an LTS. Before the "rage" comes down on this statement, I know the Chimera's still "balanced" as a 5.1 ship and not a fleet level ship, so it's not "true P2W" as, oh, a certain free realistic version of a cartoon-based shooter practices with their constant "stronger weapons till hitting one-shot kill level, then massive nerf, restart" philosophy, but it's definitely "in the family", and most likely an indicator (with fleet ships) as to what kind of money/rage they could milk by going P2W (after they get a balanced enough PvP system to make P2W mean something)...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Notice how all the people benefiting from this move are all defensive about it.

You may or may not recall that we've argued back and forth over the merits of certain ships being made T5 for quite some time, so uh, yeah. I'm not exactly new around here, but I still think the sheer amount of rage people have over this is dumb.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    They feel used and neglected is all.

Everyone likes to feel special especially after slogging this grind for 2 years.

They feel they should be appreciated for all their support, and maybe a little guilty for defending this company all this time.

The answer is quite simple and logical.

Those that have stated they will vote with their wallets should consider that this company doesn't give a wet noodle about this game other than a money source and when it stops being profitable, they will just dump it.

Instead if possible, they should resist buying into NWN their latest baby and just spending their money in STO to keep it alive.

Enough people do that and NWN will die and the money lust will return to this game until they start making the next.

Rinse Repeat.
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    After mulling this over for a day or so I still think this was a stupid move, and the feel good factor that some are getting will be so very short lived.

Yes, you have all those nice new toys to play with all in one day, but what about next week? What about next month?

These rewards were designed to be spread across 1000 days, giving you a reason to keep going to the next milestone 100 days and reminding you that the LTS you bought just keeps on giving. So 100 days from now and 100 days from then you have something to look forward to.

By getting this all now, in less than 100 days you will be bored with all these gifts and be looking elsewhere for your next fix. Even those of you who are riding on the high of all this new stuff have got to see that there are people here who have been royally cheated.

Those of you who have (or are) paying hundreds of dollars, or grinding for weeks to get that Jem'Hadar ship, or Wells Time Ship, don't you think for one minute that you won't be mad when you see them appearing in the C-Store or by some other easily obtainable means when you worked so hard, or paid so much.

This is a short term gain which will annoy the most loyal customers at the expense of a quick cash grab. I am most concerned about why PWE has done this, and what it means for the future of the game. Where do they really see STO going, when they pull a stunt like this?
  • trexelcat#9733 trexelcat Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    1000 days is 1000 days. they don't call it a 1000 day veteran reward for nothing

They do now.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hravik wrote: »
    You may or may not recall that we've argued back and forth over the merits of certain ships being made T5 for quite some time, so uh, yeah. I'm not exactly new around here, but I still think the sheer amount of rage people have over this is dumb.

And you keep on posting in this thread and bumping it, which I think is dumb. didn't you post in the previous page saying something "dumb" as, people still posting?;)

That said, I see a lot of forum posters that I haven't seen before, so obviously a lot of people are not happy about this and are using the forums to vent their anger or displeasure. Why do you have a problem with that? Is it hurting you? Why not ignore or do you feel that you have to defend Cryptic and PW? Do you work for them?

In the end, PW and Cryptic (yes Cryptic), have finally now said "get lost deadbeats" to all those who bough a life time sub to STO, when they were with Atari. They get 0 from you now and have to give you Zen points per month, which they get no benefit from (yes I know some of you still buy stuff). Now by giving all and sundry all the "perks" from day 1, they are saying we will get benefit now from the new crowd who buys a LTS.

I still cannot believe people are buying LTS for a game that is still shallow, content light and may change for the worse when big brother NW is released.

This sounds like a blatant cash grab from a "gullible" fan base.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Did anybody actually think they would make these brandnew ships just for "a few" lifetime subscribers? I had no doubt these ships would be made available through other means. Cryptic put in a lot of work and money and naturally they want people to spent money to get them. Nobody would have subscribed today to get his ship in 1000 days. It's quite unlikely that this game will still be around in 3 years.

Look at the bright side. As a lifetime subscriber your gameplay experience will hardly diminish because some other people are now lifetime subscribers. A share of the lifetime sale might even be reinvested back into the game and result in more content.

The only victim to this new lifetime subscribtion sale is your vanity. You will get over it.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    szim wrote: »
    Did anybody actually think they would make these brandnew ships just for "a few" lifetime subscribers? I had no doubt these ships would be made available through other means. Cryptic put in a lot of work and money and naturally they want people to spent money to get them. Nobody would have subscribed today to get his ship in 1000 days. It's quite unlikely that this game will still be around in 3 years.

Look at the bright side. As a lifetime subscriber your gameplay experience will hardly diminish because some other people are now lifetime subscribers. A share of the lifetime sale might even be reinvested back into the game and result in more content.

The only victim to this new lifetime subscribtion sale is your vanity. You will get over it.

I find it fascinating that people are really calling all the long time "Veteran" LTS entitlist or it's vanity etc. What I think a lot of you are forgetting is that STO is here now because of these people who decided to stump up the money (more than the current price) up front, to allow this (poor) game to be where it is now.

STO would not have survived 6 months if it was sub based only, as people can come and go when they want, whereas an LTS meant they had the money already regardless of whether you play or not.

You find poor games that don't have faith in their product, will offer a LTS sub. And this LTS up front money is what kept STO on life support. I wonder if they will off an LTS for NW.

As much as I find it funny that both old school and new school LTS are having a TRIBBLE for tat, I still cannot believe that anyone don't see where the original LTS should have something for support STO from day.

The real question you should all be asking is where is the money going? It's certainly not going into this game. Does Lock boxes really require such a large overhead?

I wonder when Teflon Dan is going to come out and explain the reasoning on this.

Would love to see the spin on this...

Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My question is, when will we see new content? New missions and such?

I understand the guys saying "This is great, because now you get the rewards in addition to lifetime perks up front for that hefty cash drop." but I also understand the guys going "This is disappointing, shortly after announcing the 1k day reward ship, they announce it's instantly available to all lifetime subs present and future."

Hell, I kinda liked the one suggestion of "Make it so the lifetime sub guys get a instant 400 or so days worth of vet rewards to their account" (equal to the amount of days the $300 sub is worth).

But as it stands, me, my brother (who is lifetime) are "We'll believe it when we see it.", I like STO, the gameplay is solid (at least now), the classes are okay, the ships and weapons are good (mostly)... but there is nothing to do. It all bores me.

I hope the income from this move by cryptic prompts some new mission content for fed and KDF alike.
  • pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    BUYERS BEWARE
    jengoz wrote: »

To me this says the Perfect world does not plan for this game to be around for another 1000 days

I believe my esteemed collegue hit the nail on the head.

I started on a 10 day Buddy Pass almost a year ago and at the end of that signed up for the Monthly Sub (couple of months before F2P); so I am around 350 days.

I've had a feeling over the last several months that Zynga Dan has been talking out his hind quarters because he won't directly answer questions. I feel that our "drought" is a result of NEVERWINTER, and that most of the money we are putting into this game is supporting NEVERWINTER and once that title is release - I would speculate that STO will be gone within a year.

So all of you non-Vets enjoy your VET REWARDS while you can; because you can't take them with you to the next game.
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So do I understand correctly that a newbie who buys a lifetime acount now is considered a Veteran immidiatly receiving all the vetran rewards at once?

So what is the meaning of the word Veteran?
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012
    totenmet wrote: »
    So do I understand correctly that a newbie who buys a lifetime acount now is considered a Veteran immidiatly receiving all the vetran rewards at once?

Sucker.

/10char.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
    edited October 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »
    Sucker.

/10char.....

? What do you mean with sucker ?

Looking at your signature it seems you agree that it is odd to be called veteran if someone has not played 1000 day's. Because now someone can become veteran in 1 day.
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Exactly. 10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited October 2012

In the PWE dictionary Verteran = "Thanks for the cash, sucker"
    edited October 2012
    pingahead wrote: »
    In the PWE dictionary Verteran = "Thanks for the cash, sucker"

Ah that explains.

Like corruption. With money someone can buy his/her position.

Hmm
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Looking at your signature it seems you agree that it is odd to be called veteran if someone has not played 1000 day's. Because now someone can become veteran in 1 day.

Actually, even without this new LTS perk someone could be called veteran if they had not played for 1000 days. All they needed was to have paid for 1000 days.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012
    ? What do you mean with sucker ?

It was a joke haha.

A ref. to the 'ole, "A sucker is born every minute.." and so forth. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
    edited October 2012
    solomace wrote: »
    I find it fascinating that people are really calling all the long time "Veteran" LTS entitlist or it's vanity etc. What I think a lot of you are forgetting is that STO is here now because of these people who decided to stump up the money (more than the current price) up front, to allow this (poor) game to be where it is now.

STO would not have survived 6 months if it was sub based only, as people can come and go when they want, whereas an LTS meant they had the money already regardless of whether you play or not.

You find poor games that don't have faith in their product, will offer a LTS sub. And this LTS up front money is what kept STO on life support. I wonder if they will off an LTS for NW.

As much as I find it funny that both old school and new school LTS are having a TRIBBLE for tat, I still cannot believe that anyone don't see where the original LTS should have something for support STO from day.

The real question you should all be asking is where is the money going? It's certainly not going into this game. Does Lock boxes really require such a large overhead?

I wonder when Teflon Dan is going to come out and explain the reasoning on this.

Nicely said, solomace.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    solomace wrote: »

At this point, I don't think him, Cryptic or PWE has enough respect for their customers to even bother.

Their actions speak loud and clear as to what they think of their 1000-day vets.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm not sure where else to post this. Has anyone else not gotten the free character slot?
    edited October 2012
    elcymerian wrote: »
    I'm not sure where else to post this. Has anyone else not gotten the free character slot?

Branflakes has been following this thread - you might wanna post there :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Branflakes has been following this thread - you might wanna post there :)

Thank you.
  • luxandraluxandra Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Okay, I have been following this thread for a long time now, having been a Lifetime Subscriber to this game, I would simply like to point out that both people complaining about having this available to Lifetime Subscriptions and people complaining about Pay to Win need to stop. Both arguments are wrong, this is an incentive to people who would WANT to buy the Lifetime Subscription but have been hanging on the edge due to the incredible lack of overall incentive that has surrounded the Lifetime Subscription. Let's take into consideration for a moment that all of us who dropped the 299.00 U.S.D. to have full access to this game at any time we wanted without further commitment on our end. Do you somehow honestly expect that the majority of their money came from us? No, in fact that majority of the money they have made has come from the micro transactions and the monthly 15 U.S.D. subscribers. There have been many people upset by the fact that the lifetime subscription didn't have any kind of real "incentive" ever since the F2P platform, and that is something I wholly agree with, considering the 500 point stipend on top of the incredibly cheap dilithium conversion rates in game, there is nothing we as a Lifetime subscription player get as any kind of real perk aside from minor things like respec tokens while leveling, as things like the automatic account wide banking system and unlocked EC cap.

While nice to have, these things are all trivialities when it comes to a 299.00 U.S.D. Investment on our part, this particular bone they are throwing out concerning the Lifetime Subscription is a very good thing to future people who would want to consider putting that much money into the game all at once. I myself am very happy to see that potential future Lifetime subscribers can have the chance to gain something that would make them feel the investment is worth doing. Both sides of this argument about people getting something without having to wait or some such need to stop complaining. The only difference between you and a person who payed 15 U.S.D. a month for the same time you played is that technically, they have given more money on a commitment than you have. Just because you payed the money all up front doesn't make you any more special than the person who payed 15 U.S.D. a month for almost three straight years.

If you have issues with this deal for a Lifetime Subscription, then that's your own particular problem, I myself find this deal to be very acceptable to me and like I said before, I have been a Lifetime Subscriber for a long time. The people who feel this is unfair have major entitlement issues. Right now, if anyone is getting shafted by this deal, is the 15 U.S.D. a month players who have not been paying for three straight years. If you want to complain about this deal, do it on behalf of them.

Sincerely,
    Keldi Kias
    edited October 2012
    luxandra wrote: »
    The people who feel this is unfair have major entitlement issues.

Please stop generalizing - it's becoming as tiresome as this whole debate. Perhaps there's just some people out there that hold others accountable to higher standards than you do.
    luxandra wrote: »
    Right now, if anyone is getting shafted by this deal, is the 15 U.S.D. a month players who have not been paying for three straight years. If you want to complain about this deal, do it on behalf of them.

We can at least agree on this - IMO, all the monthly subscribers should have been upgraded to LTS as a courtesy after they'd subscribed for a certain period of time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think that if they're allowing you to buy the vet rewards now, they should at least change the name to reflect what it really is. Lifer rewards. Any Veteran title should reman (see what i did there?) a time based title and therefore should not be for purchase. You can't just buy a uniform and go around calling yourself a veteran, that kind of defeats the term all together.
  • luxandraluxandra Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Please stop generalizing - it's becoming as tiresome as this whole debate. Perhaps there's just some people out there that hold others accountable to higher standards than you do.

We can at least agree on this - IMO, all the monthly subscribers should have been upgraded to LTS as a courtesy after they'd subscribed for a certain period of time.

If you are going to take one single sentence and somehow try to paint that as my argument then please don't bother to snip it out and leave the comment to yourself. I illustrated a point regarding the nature of this particular program and you have twisted one sentence to turn it into something else. It was not a generalization, it was a statement about the people who have a problem with this particular deal about the incentive it brings for future Lifetime subscribers, that they DO in fact have major entitlement issues. Please read the entire post before you judge what is being said.